• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's enough of that. Stop arguing OOC about who was or was not in the coup. At the end of the day, Badajoz, Alvarez, and Zepeda were the only ones backing the coup -- I don't care what happened in PMs, and plenty of people never backed the coup in the thread.

Okay, so now's probably the time to raise a pretty important administrative point.

Normally right now I would be posting another vote tally, but there haven't been any new votes in more than 24 hours. Going back over the last few votes, I've noticed that almost all of the votes come in the first 24 hours, with the second day only adding on a few more. So, my question is: Would you prefer it if I shortened the time between updates to a day?

Note that I'm not asking you to vote on this, I'm just asking for your opinions. I know most of you won't be affected one way or another; I'm particularly interested in the opinions of those people who might be marginalized or alienated by an extremely quick 24-voting period, like a real election.

((as has been already mentioned, people do have stuff to do and some might have quite strict schedules. Two days is pushing it, any shorter is IMO a total no-no. I'm pretty sure I would end up missing one time at the minimum with that lightning-quick election. Also, it does cut out political debates and some role-play.))

My fellow Chileans, I return home from Brazil and what do I find? I find my President has attempted to initiate a coup to end democracy, and that my party is attempting to justify this. And I would like to make one thing from my point of view clear - there can be no justification for attempting to end democracy purely for personal gain. That is disgraceful. Accordingly, I announce my resignation from Partido Liberales, and will remain an Independent.

Party: Conservadores
Coalition: Coalition with Liberals
Coalition Candidate: Romano (would prefer an interventionist Santa Rosa to a Romano without Santa Rosa's religious policy.)
Badajoz: Guilty
Zepeda: Guilty
Alvarez: Guilty

de Vadlivies , Zepeda initiated the Coup and Badajoz backed him when he thought the Liberales would be purged. Tis unfortunate you would leave the Liberale Party, but as long as you still support Democratic Chile all will be fine.

There are no parties after all, there can be only Chile.

(My new character, I am planning on making him 20 years old, assuming that he cannot vote this election AND the next election. Is this a correct assumption?)

de Vadlivies , Zepeda initiated the Coup and Badajoz backed him when he thought the Liberales would be purged. Tis unfortunate you would leave the Liberale Party, but as long as you still support Democratic Chile all will be fine.

(My new character, I am planning on making him 20 years old, assuming that he cannot vote this election AND the next election. Is this a correct assumption?)

No, it's just this election. After losing a coup, you can't vote for one election.

((TH, the Conservadors have all voted to form a coalition with the Nacionales, the Nacionales have a 1 point lead (I think) to form a coalition with the Conservadores, and the Liberales seem to think they deserve a coalition with the Conservadores.

Will Romano have to choose which party he forms a coalition with? Seeing as how it is likely both the Nacionales and Liberales will vote to form a coalition with the Conservadores.))

((TH, the Conservadors have all voted to form a coalition with the Nacionales, the Nacionales have a 1 point lead (I think) to form a coalition with the Conservadores, and the Liberales seem to think they deserve a coalition with the Conservadores.

Will Romano have to choose which party he forms a coalition with? Seeing as how it is likely both the Nacionales and Liberales will vote to form a coalition with the Conservadores.))

No, because the Conservadores have not voted to form a coalition with the Liberales. I'll give the updated totals in a second here.

So here is the fourth - I think - crazy long primary update. I'll close the polls in an hour or two.

Liberales:
Coalition with Conservadores: 2
No Coalition: 1
Abstain: 1

Emilio Romano ((Pallen)): 1
Antonio de Santa Rosa ((Riccardo93)): 4 (1 prefers Romano to de Santa Rosa)

Total: 4

Conservadores:
Coalition with Nacionales: 3
Coalition with Liberales: 1

Emilio Romano ((Pallen)): 4

Total: 4

Nacionales:
Roseno ((Red Cesar)) : 6
Carrera ((King50000)): 1
De Cary ((Ivir Baggins)): 2

Coalition with Conservadores: 8
Coalition with Monárquicos: 2
Coalition with Liberales: 1

Romano ((Pallen)): 3 (1 Disraeli or Roseno preferred)
Roseno ((Red Cesar)) : 4
De Cary (Ivir Baggins)): 3
Antonio Disraeli ((rogov)): 1 (Roseno preferred)
Antonio de Santa Rosa ((Riccardo93)): 1

Total: 10

Monárquicos:
Disraeli ((rogov)): 1
Tamiuszski ((tamius23)): 1

Tamiuszski: 1

Total: 1

Badajoz:
Innocent: 6
Guilty: 15
Abstain:

Zepeda:
Innocent: 4
Guilty: 15
Abstain:

Alvarez:
Innocent: 15
Guilty: 1
Abstain: 5

((We're using a semi-open primary system here, so if you're an independent you can vote in the party of your choice -- same as last time.))

((I don't know if you saw TH, but I dropped out of the race for the Nacionales and voted for Roseno, but kept my vote for a coalition with the Conservadores and Romano to lead it.))

((I don't know if you saw TH, but I dropped out of the race for the Nacionales and voted for Roseno, but kept my vote for a coalition with the Conservadores and Romano to lead it.))

I didn't see, but that doesn't change the results of the primary. Update incoming.

The 1846 Conventions​

The 1846 Conventions were dominated by the issue of the coup - for some, it was a buzzword, the matter of debate, and the predominant issue. Others tried to put it in the past but always it seemed to surface, creeping near the edge of discussion and hanging over everyone's minds and thoughts. Candidates were voted on in the Conventions - fortunes and destinies made and lost - in the wake of this scandal that had rocked the Republic.

The Liberales convention had a suppressed tone to it. As always, the Liberales voted for coalition with the Conservadores, but this time nominated Antonio de Santa Rosa from the saddle. The popular general found out he had been picked as the Liberal nominee essentially unopposed while still in Argentina. The Conservadores, for their part, quickly nominated the acting President Romano as their candidate and rebuffed the Liberales' plea for a coalition. They'd had enough of the Liberales. Instead, they sent their request for unity to the Nacionales, who were just contemplating the same issue.

The Nacionales' primaries were far from unopposed. As Rivera, the old party standby, stood aside three upstarts tried to fill the vacuum: Carrera, Roseno, and de Cary. Carrera quickly fell behind in the primary after the party leader, Sen. Rivera, circulated the unconfirmed rumor that he had initially supported the coup. Carrera was forced to withdraw and later threw his support to Roseno. Roseno and de Cary were not evenly matched. While the popular Senator de Cary enjoyed widespread support as a coalition candidate, Roseno was seen as a much more palatable alternative. Like General Antonio de Santa Rosa, General Roseno was nominated from the saddle during his march back to Argentina, where the war was still raging.

Both Conservadores and Nacionales then considered the possibility of a union ticket - with both parties strongly in favor, the two merged their conventions and held another ballot to find a joint candidate. Though most Nacionales favored Roseno and many more backed de Cary as their choices in coalition candidate, many Nacionales and all Conservadores chose to stand behind President Romano - including the withdrawn Col. Carrera.

After several ballots, the combined parties finally settled on President Romano, who had managed to secure a narrow majority on the fifth ballot at the combined convention and was nominated as the candidate for the Conservadores Nacionales (National Conservatives).

If the National Conservatives' convention ended with a bang, the Monarquicos conventions ended with a whimper. Disraeli and Tamiuszski realized that there were scarcely more delegates at the convention than they themselves had brought and - having been hoping for at least twice that number - admitted that they stood no chance of winning the election if all the Monarquicos in Chile were sitting in that very room. Reluctantly, they chose not to field a candidate in 1846 in the hopes that they might try again next year. ((Monarquicos didn't get the minimum threshold of 4 votes to field a candidate without a coalition partner.))

The 1846 Conventions were simultaneous with the trials of former President Badajoz, Minister Zepeda, and Admiral Alvarez. As they were high officers of state and tried in the Congreso, their trials were as much about politics as justice. Zepeda, as the architect of the coup, was overwhelming decried in the Congreso as a traitor and was convicted. Many of the Congreso begged for clemency for Badajoz, and though they were far outnumbered by those who voted to convict, they were nearly able to secure exile rather than death for the former president. Unfortunately for Badajoz, they failed in the final hours of the vote. Both Zepeda and Badajoz were hanged for high treason in late January.

Admiral Alvarez had a happier ending to his trial. Virtually no one in the Congreso voted to convict, as many believed him innocent while others still believed that the blame fell to his superiors. While some were in favor of acquitting him with conditions or merely pardoning him while confirming that he had committed the crime, he was ultimately given a white acquittal and declared innocent with no further stipulations. Alvarez walked out of the Congreso a free man (though he was no longer Minister of War).

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
Okay, well I guess I already have your platforms, so I'll post the platforms for Romano and Antonio de Santa Rosa in short order.

Zagoroth and thekinguter, your characters have been killed (sorry - that's just the way this cookie crumbles.) You can't vote this election, but you can vote next election. You'll have to make new characters.

Admiral Emilio Alvarez walks out of the Congreso a free man with honors intact, so Gloa - you can vote in this election and you keep your character.

i

Badajoz knew the coup was going to happen before he announced it, unless you are disbelieving the word of Mr. Romano? In any case, what you are saying is that Badajoz opposed the coup, until he found out that if the coup suceeded, his own party would be purged? And he then thought this was a fantastic idea, and supported the coup? Exactly how is that meant to make me sympathetic to the old bastard?

The 1841 Candidates​

MonttJorge01.jpg

Liberales Candidate: Antonio de Santa Rosa ((Riccardo93))

On this issue of immigration, and the natives, I support Full Citizenship; that is, I believe that all people who are citizens of this nation should be able to vote, enlist, etc., etc., without fear of discrimination. I support liberalized, near-open, immigration, and hope that we can assimilate the natives peacefully.

On religious matters, I support a pluralistic society. Myself, I am a practicing Roman Catholic, believe that religion is a most private and important matter; therefore, I believe that the State should encourage religion, but not back any particular sect or creed. As well, I hope this liberal view would promote further immigration to this great Republic, adding more workers, soldiers, businessmen, and other great benefits for Chile.

Prior to my generalship, I was a businessman, and I know full well how to run industries! I support a free market, unrestricted by the government. My laissez-faire policies, like those of President Badajoz, will spur economic growth, and, combined with lower taxes, create an era of prosperity unheard of on this Continent! Furthermore, I believe in free trade, which will encourage competition and innovation for Chile, and, with a liberal immigration policy, will create a larger market and workforce for our expanding industries,

On military matters, I support the continuation of this war, and the return of our rightful lands. I, however, am not a jingoist; nor am I in favour of war. With the conclusion of this war, I will reinforce our military, expand it, and transition to a more defense oriented military, rather than the offensive force of the past decade. I am not opposed to expansion; I believe we should first consolidate our territories, build infrastructure, establish good governance, and repair our new acquisitions before launching another military endeavour. In short, I support the continuation of this war until we regain our lands, and then we begin consolidating and improving our lands. As well, I believe Argentina should pay reparations for instigating this war; the money will go to the rebuilding programmes.

Again, I am willing to compromise!

German_Riesco.jpg

Conservadores Nacionales Candidate: Eduardo Emilio Romano ((Pallen))

What makes me worthy of the presidency? I shall gladly tell you why I think I fit for presidency - I have served as Minister of the Treasury for two terms under Badajoz' government, and I have had a great success with my policies in improving the Chilean economy, making the foundation for a better and stronger Chile. I have the experince and an acceptable record of success to lead Chile as el Presidente. What are my policies? It is no secret that with me as El Presidente, then the policies will be different. Indstead of Laisse faire I wish to adopt Interventionalism allowing the government to use the great funds we have aquired to promote economic prosperity quicker.

I also support Residency I believe that the citizens of Chile who fought during our war for independance, and who have struggled to make her what she is, are the true and real heart of Chile. Immigrants and citizens who have not been here during the war, will have an equal chance to prove themselfves worthy, but this requires a will to work as hard as the average Chilean, to commit him or herself and embrace the values we have of a strong democracy. We have received many hundreds of thousands of immigrants, and i can assure you that if elected I will do my best to integrate them into Chilean society.

The next issue i wish to discuss is moralism. Though I believe that any Chilean may worship what religion he or she desires - it is still an undeniable fact that many of the values we can find in Christendom have been modernized and translated into democracy. Like every man in the bible is equal in the eyes of god, every Chilean is equal in Chile. As the bible promotes love for thine next, we also promote love and support to your countrymen. Again I wish to stress that any Chilean may believe what they wish, but I believe the official religion of Chile should remain Christianity because it is christian values we base our democracy on.

I support a pro-military stance. Our military has become strong, and under my term shall remain just as strong, if not become even stronger. I know my popularity with the military was weak during Badajoz' first term, but now that our economic prosperity has grown strong, then I wish to spend more money on the military, which will secure our future as an independant nation in South America.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
VOTE! I need your vote for either Antonio de Santa Rosa or Eduardo Emilio Romano. If you vote by party, I will pair your vote to the corresponding ticket.

As always, remember to bold your votes or they might not be counted.

If you're a candidate and you want to change your platform from the above, just let me know.

A sample ballot would look like:
President: Abstain

As a compromise solution, this poll will end at 6:00 PST on the 25th (two days) or if 25 votes are reached before that.

President: Romano

President: Romano

((What happens to the other Coalition member again?))

You'll presumably get a role in government. Talk to Pallen.