I thought rebels in EU3 are annoying, rebels in CK2 are even more annoying, but...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They "agreed" to it because they were in massive debt and England offered to assume it.
Actually same way Bavaria got to be in the German Empire.
Prussia paid their debt and as a quid pro quo the bavarian king was the one offering the Prussian king the German Imperial Crown.
It is a matter of a king saying yes, granted, but in a time were even the more liberal minded people still had a hard time thinking of a world without kings, the kings word was the peoples word.
As for no common cultural heritage:
I would think that something like 800 years of warfare <nd unions has breed some kind of mutual culture and linguistic similarities.
Also Scottish is no more an independent langauge than Bavarian. Both are dialects, nothing more.
And as far as i know Scotland does not even do the 'original language teaching' that Ireland tries to do, though with mixed success.

Am I the only Scot who gets a bit offended by foreigners constantly inferring that we are not free and that we exist as subjects to the English? I'm not usually insulted on national terms but I think some people have watched too much Braveheart.

We are British living in the UK and Scots in our own segment of it. We are barely even different.

Am I the only Scot who gets a bit offended by foreigners constantly inferring that we are not free and that we exist as subjects to the English? I'm not usually insulted on national terms but I think some people have watched too much Braveheart.

We are British living in the UK and Scots in our own segment of it. We are barely even different.
Then stop making a fuss about Scottish Independence and the referendum.

Actually i got my glasses from 'Trainspotting'.
"It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!"
;)

Then stop making a fuss about Scottish Independence and the referendum.

That's Salmond the Hutt making the noise, and the SNP. Most Scots right now aren't in favour of independence, but they vote for the SNP because they have the same social-democrat economic policies as Labour, plus it seems as though they are more focused on issues specific to Scotland and they have good enviromental policies.

People just put up with the incessant calls for independence and the media just exploits the issue for sales. We honestly don't care in general.

And Trainspotting is excellent, but bear in mind the guy's an uninformed junkie. :)

Anywho this is very offtopic.

They "agreed" to it because they were in massive debt and England offered to assume it.

Don't forget that Westminster had made it pretty clear they weren't going to tolerate a potentially hostile power to their rear any more. Scotland got fairly good terms for union, considering that otherwise the English probably would have found a good excuse to conquer them had they refused.

Don't forget that Westminster had made it pretty clear they weren't going to tolerate a potentially hostile power to their rear any more. Scotland got fairly good terms for union, considering that otherwise the English probably would have found a good excuse to conquer them had they refused.
I am under the impression that the union was quite widely opposed anyway, although the leading politicians managed to blaze through it.

IMO, the union is a good thing for both countries though.

Because a thread about rebels has anything to do with the British-Scottish relation :rolleyes:
Although i agree rebels are a bit crazy

but they still said yes

But not for cultural reasons. It was a political/dynastic decision.

Actually same way Bavaria got to be in the German Empire.
Prussia paid their debt and as a quid pro quo the bavarian king was the one offering the Prussian king the German Imperial Crown.
It is a matter of a king saying yes, granted, but in a time were even the more liberal minded people still had a hard time thinking of a world without kings, the kings word was the peoples word.
As for no common cultural heritage:
I would think that something like 800 years of warfare <nd unions has breed some kind of mutual culture and linguistic similarities.
Also Scottish is no more an independent langauge than Bavarian. Both are dialects, nothing more.
And as far as i know Scotland does not even do the 'original language teaching' that Ireland tries to do, though with mixed success.

I'm just going to address your points as they relate to the game, because I feel like my post has started to derail this discussion. The Scots language is Celtic in origin and so are the Scots themselves. The English were many Anglo-Saxon invaders from Denmark and Northern Germany. Of course, as neighbors they affected each other, but my original point was that through game mechanics (Scottish Nationalist rebels or a Free People CB) Scotland can become independent. I disagree that they should be so easily re-absorbed when the UK inevitably spheres them. I don't think this makes much sense.

Well, I'm not saying your aren't free. I'm just saying that a Scotsman living in this game's era would be unlikely to rise up in revolt of an independent Scotland and demand to be re-united with England.

I am under the impression that the union was quite widely opposed anyway, although the leading politicians managed to blaze through it.

IMO, the union is a good thing for both countries though.

I was also under that impression. The countries had warred with each other for centuries and Scotland maintained an alliance with England's arch-nemesis France (the Auld Alliance) specifically to guard against an English invasion.

Because a thread about rebels has anything to do with the British-Scottish relation :rolleyes:
Although i agree rebels are a bit crazy

Sorry for starting this mess! The point was supposed to relate to problems I was having with the Pan-nationalist rebel mechanic.