• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why are you wondering if Britain would attack? They're all for the Balance of Power. They supported Prussia because France is too strong, and Austria was a component of that strength. To attack us would seriously shake the Balance, and the British are not ones who will easily rock the boat.

More importantly, in-game terms. We have relations of 200.

The Presidential Election of 1877

Cuba dominated the national conventions of 1876. In the Federal Primary, candidates were almost competing on the basis of whose policy was the most decisive. The Republicans, unlike the New Democratic Party, stayed fervently isolationist, refusing to consider war to be an option. Either way, it was clear that a current of jingoism was beginning to form in the United States.
The most striking feature of the National Conventions however, was the determination of both the New Democrats and Federals to boot the Republicans out of office. This manifested in the Federal-Democratic ticket, a unity party brought on by the suggestion of former Federal candidate Josaiah Bridgeworthy. It was also a curious ticket, in that both the Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate were Democrats [1].

eamoncallahan.jpg

1. Eamon Callahan, Presidential Candidate of the Federal-Democratic ticket.​

To stand against Callahan, the Republicans chose Henry Jarvis. He was the oldest candidate to ever run for the presidency, and this worried many in the party. Jarvis was lucky in that it did not worry enough Republicans for his nomination to be endangered after President Mandrake’s stepping down from the race.

[1] – The New Democratic Party had reverted back to being the Democratic Party after the Presidential election of 1873.

Candidates/Tickets of 1877

Election Manifesto of the Federal-Democratic Party
callahanwalker.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Eamon Callahan
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Joseph Walker

My fellow Americans,
The Federal Democratic ticket is your chance to support reasonable government, a fair economy and an inclusive administration.
I ask you to join myself and Joseph Walker in protecting the interests of the American people and make a Callahan-Walker administration your choice in 1877.

Economic Policy

-Minimal Interventionism-
While there is little need for the government to encourage the overall expansion of our economy, it is important that we invest in areas where the capitalists have failed to provide. Full funds will remain available for educational projects at a federal standard, but management of these projects will be the responsibility of the states.
The protection of America's strategic interests also relies on the economy. We must ensure that every type of war materiel has at least domestic producer, and if necessary, encourage or invest in factories to prevent our military from becoming reliant on foreign trade.
Any further subsidies to businesses will be left to the states.

-Dealing With New Western Economy-
The Department of Agriculture is to expand its focus to interstate commerce, ensuring that the needs of both the farmer and new businesses are met by this government. We recognise the new importance of the West to our expanding economy and the improved Department of Agriculture & Commerce will handle land grants to homesteaders migrating westward, assist in the incorporation of towns and gather research for future policy on this new frontier.

Cabinet Appointment

Secretary of Agriculture & Commerce - Josaiah Bridgeworthy

Tariffs, Taxation and Law Enforcement

-Liberal Trade Reform-
In this time of unprecedented economic surplus, we need to begin removing federal barriers to international trade. I propose the careful removal of tariffs to continue until we reach at most 3% and at least 1%, the budget surplus allowing. This will remove as much federal interference in business as possible.

-Equitable Tax Reform-
We should ensure first that no two Americans are paying more than 10% difference in their tax rate. After this initial adjustment, we should seek to shrink the tax gap.
After tariff reforms are completed, and the budget surplus is restored, we can lower taxes.
Any tax cuts will be progressive, beginning with the poorest. At no point will the poor pay more tax than the middle class, or the middle class pay more than the rich.

-Focusing Law Enforcement-
The Attorney-General's office will focus the FBI's mandate towards investigating corruption in federal departments, white collar crime, protecting the country from domestic militants and investigating crime in native territory.

Cabinet Appointments
Secretary of the Treasury - Arthur Gallatin
Attorney-General – Alfred Howard

Social Policy

-Maintain Social Reforms-
The social reforms we have achieved by hard campaigning in this country are a testament to the democratic spirit of this nation, and should not be sacrificed for any man's whim. We will protect the integrity of these reforms by balancing the budget, and consolidating oversight of these programs to the Department of the Interior.

-No Reforms Without Balance-
Any social reform to be signed into law must have corresponding tax cuts or it will be vetoed. This will ensure that no tax rises will result from further social reform.

-Full Citizenship-
We will fold the existing Department of Citizenship into the Department of the Interior, recognising its most important function being diplomacy between the government and the native peoples.
The inclusion of more people into our great democracy is only enhanced when we have good dialogue with new arrivals as well. By incorporating both social services and a diplomatic staff, we will be able to promote harmonious integration without treating immigrant citizens as foreigners.

Cabinet Appointment

Secretary of the Interior - Oliver Glynne

Foreign Policy

-Foreign Relations-
While it is desirable that we remain on good terms with central European powers, I foresee no need to further provide material support to the Germans unless they are directly assisting us in our endeavors.
Favorable relations should be maintained with our neighbors, Mexico and the United Kingdom. Through solidarity and an interconnected economy we can maintain a haven for democracy from sea to shining sea in North America.

-The Cuban Question-
It has been over 15 years since we began entreaties with the Spanish to allow us to bring traitors and war criminals to justice, to have closure to the most troubled period of our republic's history.
Since then we have seen the support provided to these insurrectionists only increase.
We do not intend to sit idly by while Americans continue to die fighting Americans at the Spanish Queen's behest. I shall bring the rebels to justice within my first term in office, or die trying!

We shall seek to isolate the Queen of Spain from the French hegemony.
By redirecting all diplomatic influence outside of the Americas to this cause, it can be accomplished with little investment of energies.
We shall make final notice of our demands once we have this position of leverage.
Should the Queen of Spain prove intractable, we shall no longer recognize Cuba as sovereign Spanish soil, and pursue extradition negotiations with local officials and the Cuban people.
If the Spanish should continue to intercede on the Confederates' behalf, we will destroy their fleet and allow Cuba to safely determine their own future status.

Cabinet Appointment
Secretary of State - Roderick Khur

Military Policy

-Reorganisation of the Department of War-
The Marine Expeditionary Force is to become incorporated into the Department of War. The U.S. Army is to transfer the 25000 most experienced soldiers expand the number of Marine divisions. To reinforce the regular army we shall recruit 15000 men to restore the jobs that were cut by the previous administration and create new mounted brigades to patrol the uncivilized areas of the west. President Mandrake will be offered a commission as a Lt. General.

-Reorganization of the Department of the Navy-
The Navy will ensure the Marine Expeditionary Forces are allocated enough transportation to adequately protect our interests and non-contiguous states in the Americas.
The Department of the Navy will be provided with enough funds to accommodate these new requirements.
If there are available funds, any wood-hulled ships are to be replaced with modern vessels.

Cabinet Appointments
Secretary of War – Maximilian Mandrake
Secretary of the Navy - Christopher Bryan

Election Manifesto of the Republican Party

Presidential Candidate: Henry Jarvis
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Sebastian Carr

Ladies and Gentlemen, for the last for years, I Henry J. Jarvis of California, have served as the Vice-President of this grand Republic. In this capacity, I have served to the best of my ability, always striving for peace and prosperity.

The great question of this election is not "who shall we vote for?" or "Which party shall win?" but "Should we follow the path of our fore-fathers, the Founders of this illustrious nation, or go in a radically different direction?"

My opponents paint me as a reactionary; I am not; I am a firm liberal, a defender of freedom, of the Constitution, a champion of free enterprise, and a guardian of individualism. My views, borne from years of debate, thought, legislation, governance, and war, are ultimately in defense of those values. The same cannot be said of my opponents; they flirt with collectivism, income redistribution, and openly advocate war!

I ask you, shall we follow in the wisdom of our fore-fathers, and maintain this nation's vaunted principles of freedom, non-interventionism, and capitalism, or shall we follow the path set down by my opponent, a course which inevitably leads to statism, slavery, and death?

In conclusion, I ask, no, beg you this: do not vote for me or against me, and the same for my opponent, on the principle that you like them; do not vote solely on party lines; do not for for a name; vote for the character and the principles! If you find me lacking decency, experience, integrity, vote for my opponent and against all the principles I stand for...

However, if you desire peace, if you seek liberalism, republicanism, and freedom, I suggest you consider what my opponents' plans entail.

I can only hope you make the right decision, and if I am the victor, I pray I can continue to serve this nation with honor, dignity, perseverance, and faith. I hope to lead America into a ;golden age,' and era of peace, prosperity, and liberty. Thank, and now I present my platform for this election

The Cuban Question
Under my administration, we will engage in negotiations, not forced coercion, with the Spanish Empire. However, under no circumstances, will we invade Cuba, or otherwise use our military to 'blackmail' Spanish cooperation! I will not sacrifice our sons and grandsons, good American boys who could be professors, doctors, lawyers, and leaders, to seize a handful of Rebels. If the negotiations break down, I am content to allow the Confederates to rot in the Caribbean.

Economic Policy
Over the past four years, we have had an immense flux of foreign goods in the American markets; and our goods are being exported in greater amounts than ever! Not only that, we have become the second greatest industrial power on Earth. Further, with the lower taxes and the expanding market, the worker enjoys more wealth, more food, and more stability than ever before!

My policies of low taxes and tariffs will continue such energetic, rapid, economic growth, spurring investment, industrialization, innovation, and trade. I will not raise taxes, unless war is declared upon us!

My administration will be supportive of free-market capitalism, unburdened from excessive government interference, unlawful, unconstitutional intrusion, just as the Founders intended! The People, not the State, not the Bureaucracy, will decide the direction of the market!

Social Policy
I have consistently argued against government interference in both the market and in individual affairs. My social policy will be based around the Constitution; that is, based around the states, private initiative, the market, charity. It is not the responsibility of the federal government. My administration will gradually move existing social programmes over to the states, to foundations, to charities, and the like, and the increased revenue we will enjoy will be used to further lower taxes to incentivize growth

Overall Foreign Policy
My opponents support for interfering in European affairs, advocation of nation-building, and interest in entangling alliances will lead to our downfall! We will become intrinsically linked, bound by contract, obliged by aid, to go to war, tossing aside thousands of young American men, and millions of civilians, scarred, injured, or hurt by conflict. Who knows how many people will be affected by war?

I support non-interventionism, which my opponent tries to misconstrue as 'isolationism,' 'xenophobic,' 'and 'backward.' I will tell you war is backwards! Interventionism will lead to forced isolationism! It will lead to death! To bloodshed! To poverty! To suffering!

I support friendly relations with all nations, free trade with all people, but I do not want to become bound by entangling alliances and tenuous obligations! I will not enter wars of folly!

Shall we adhere to the principle that power comes from the rule of law? Or that it comes from the barrel of a gun? Shall we transform our nation into an Empire, mighty and tyrannical, or shall we return to liberalism, peace, and freedom.

----------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Vote, please.

I vote for Mr Callahan. You have my support.

Alfred Howard
Repersentative of Boston
CEO of Howard Industry

I am casting my vote for Vice President Jarvis.

My vote shall go to Callahan for his stance on Foreign Policy. I will accept his position as Secretary of State, if he is elected, but urge him to reconsider War against the Spanish, and to put more thought into a Triparitite Alliance composed of Germany, Great Britian, and the US. No matter what, I shall do as he sees will benefit the US the most.

(I didnt realize the union ticket had no federalists, thats somewhat of a raw deal).

I am stricken, by my desire to support Federalist desires encompassed by the New Democrats (who are really lovely people, its me not them.) and the Dovish Republicans.

The Federal democrat party has given our sailors the most of all the parties! With this in mind I happily vote for Callahan and hope that this new administration can work closely with the navy to achiev its foreign policy aims.

Why are you wondering if Britain would attack? They're all for the Balance of Power. They supported Prussia because France is too strong, and Austria was a component of that strength. To attack us would seriously shake the Balance, and the British are not ones who will easily rock the boat.

More importantly, in-game terms. We have relations of 200.

((Well, I wasn't necessarily saying Britain was a threat; I was referring to the possibility of war. Besides, if we risk the balance of power by aggrandizing ourselves, I'm certain the U.K. would be a little tiffed.))

I would like to remind you Friget (sorry about the name, can't remember) that the Republican Party not only increased the size of the navy, it also modernized it dramatically. ((That's a very nice ironclad you have there... be a shame if you sank them in a war)). Furthermore, I have consistently supported our navy as our iron wall to protect us from imperialism.

Last edited:
I throw my support behind the Democrat/Federal ticket. We must strike when the iron is hot, and not demure from doing what is right to do when it is most possible.

((The Democrat/Federal union isn't really like the old union parties. It's the rising Federal party supporting the Democratic candidates in order to promote their policies rather than two very well known parties joining to mutually support each other. Didn't we have a similar solution when the SNP dissolved in favor of backing the Democratic Party then (resulting in a final break to Whig dominance)?))

Callahan

I vote for the trade union leader and fine American, Callaghan

May this alliance between our parties, agreed upon by all the Federal candidates, be a fruitful one for the United States and all parties involved.

I also accept the offered post of Secretary for Agriculture and Commerce, and hope to use that office to bring greater harmony and understanding between the West and the East.

(( Yeah, I think the united ticket will lead to greater promise for both parties, rather than a permanently merged party. It's not uncommon for small parties, which the Federales were at this stage, to put a candidate from a larger party on their ticket. ))

I am disappointed in the Democratic-Federalist platform for the Army and the FBI, among other things. If we're talking about honest fairness, why not eliminate the tax gap forever? 25% of a factory owner's income is no less fair than 25% of the farmer's salary. To say the rich should pay more is demagogeury, plain and simple.

North Carolina votes for Mr. Jarvis.

Last edited:
((I think we hold a majority of the Cabinet positions. There aren't very many of us to be worthy of being the VP, and we wouldn't be able to win anyway.))

((Well the VP ultimately has no power unless the President dies or resigns, I thought it much better to secure essentially the second and third most important cabinet posts (foreign and domestic affairs) as well as getting agriculture, which is very important to our party rather than the VP post.))

Callahan

I cast my vote for Callahan( Federal-Democrat),
That we may soon see an end to the Cuban crisis whether through diplomatic or Militaty means.
((P.S. was wondering if I could have an appointement, like assistant sec. of state or Navy?))

Cuba is the one nearby threat to our national security and liberating it would secure our nation as the founding fathers intended