• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hold no objection with the principles of the act; spreading democracy and human rights. Indeed I have overseen that in the past. So I request you add my name to the Bill too.
Cuban Liberty Act said:
Signed,
Former President John F. Cameron, Republican Candidate of New York

I wasn't able to find out if you have any current titles. I hope this suffices.

I too support the spread of democracy and human rights to our brothers in Cuba and Puerto Rico, although we must be wary that we keep our reputation of honor and dignity with the rest of the world. We should make clear our intentions in a way which does not antagonize or disturb the nations of Europe (save of course for Spain and her allies, if they insist on persecuting and repressing these people).

((in gameplay mechanics this makes sense too - we don't need -5 infamy since we've just fought Mexico with Manifest Destiny and thus shouldn't have much infamy at all, if any. 3 infamy isn't that bad. Losing our good relations with the other GP's, especially Britain, would be quite problematic, though.))

((The -5 infamy is there in case it should become necessary. The only opinion in Europe dangerous to us is the UK's, and that is quicker to repair than 5BB. Just launching a liberation attempt without CB also has other less desirable effects (+CONS in game, +whinydoves in AAR :D). The urgency for gaining cores on Cuba now is that the Ostend decision can only be made in the Antebellum.))

EDIT: ((Also *thumbs up* on those ticket names. [National Union/Republican vs. Democratic-Republican/Federalist] would work well.))

Last edited:
((In my time out of office I've worked as a political historian and lecturer.))

Congressmen, I am ashamed to hear of such talk for the liberation of Spanish Cuba, while we continue to oppress our own citizens. If we support the creation of an Independent Cuba, should we not support the creation of an Indepedent Morman Deseret? What of their sufferings? Should we not set an example for the Colonial Powers of Europe to follow by setting free the people in our own borders that wish to form their own Democracy, much like the plight of the Cubans?

Congressmen, I am ashamed to hear of such talk for the liberation of Spanish Cuba, while we continue to oppress our own citizens. If we support the creation of an Independent Cuba, should we not support the creation of an Indepedent Morman Deseret? What of their sufferings? Should we not set an example for the Colonial Powers of Europe to follow by setting free the people in our own borders that wish to form their own Democracy, much like the plight of the Cubans?

When/If Utah-Nevada is a state they will have freedom within the union. If you are suggeting they be allowed to secede peacefully, I'm not touching that with a 10' pole.

EDIT: The Cuban Liberty Act provides Cuba with an alternative route prior to attaining Statehood, not a precedent for Secession.

When/If Utah-Nevada is a state they will have freedom within the union. If you are suggeting they be allowed to secede peacefully, I'm not touching that with a 10' pole.

It may be too late. I have heard rumors of the creation of a M'N'M in Nevada-Utah. Something must be done before blood is spilt across the Mojave Desert.

It may be too late. I have heard rumors of the creation of a M'N'M in Nevada-Utah. Something must be done before blood is spilt across the Mojave Desert.

The Indians will take care of it.

The Presidential Election of 1857
The National Conventions of 1856 were a curious ordeal. They began normally, but ended in the formation of two tickets that nobody would have expected. The most curious of these was the ticket of the so-called State’s Republican Party, which had at its head two men who had at one point been on completely different ends of the political spectrum.
The National Republican National Convention seemed set to nominate President Brass when it convened. However, this was thrown completely off course by the announcement of former president John F. Cameron that he would be running for the nomination. Brass was caught off guard by this, and was still attempting to figure out how he could beat the near-legendary Whig at the ballot when the news came through that Cameron had conferred with his old enemy, General Davis, and they had formed a united potential ticket.
Some blocks away, at the Democratic National Convention, Senator John Hensdale was the last remaining candidate for the Democratic Party. He was quite surprised to be shuffled into a meeting with the President on the second day of the National Conventions, and be offered a deal. Brass would be the first president not to seek a second term, but instead run for the position of Vice President under Hensdale. Together, Brass and Hensdale agreed to run under the banner of the Democratic- Republican Party [1].

cameronreturns.jpg

1. James T. Howell’s painting “Cameron’s Return”.​

Without a single vote, the parts in the 1857 election had been cast. For the politicians, all that was left was to decide whose side you were on. Most were still deliberating as Cameron and Hensdale set out on the campaign trail. As Secretary of State James B. Kerr put it; “I hope the American people know which of the candidates is best for them, because Washington has no inkling of the answer to that question”.
The main question of 1857 however, was not which candidate would win the election. The more important question was whether either candidate would be able to keep the South from secession, and its inevitable consequence, Civil War.

[1] – The renaming was mostly the idea of Hensdale and Brass’ advisors, who felt it would be best to distance themselves from the pre-existing parties.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1857

Election Manifesto of the Democratic-Republican Party
democratticket1a.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Jonathan Hensdale
Vice Presidential Candidate: Jeremiah Brass

Fellow Americans,

Today I come before you all as a candidate of Unity and Peace during these troubled times. I am calling upon all Americans to join forces with me, as I have joined forces with President Brass to bring about a change in the way things are done in Washington. No longer will the Presidency favor one side of the nation over the other. That is not what I seek to bring to Washington. Standing on a solid ground of candidates with experience, such as the illustrious President Brass as my Vice-President, we can bring an everlasting Unity to the United States of America based upon my common-sense and working policies.

Slavery:
Abolition, by no means, is what I am trying to achieve. Instead, I support the institution of Slavery to continue in its current state inside the States that currently allow it - the Federal Government will not tamper with that right. However, I am looking to ban slavery in all current and future United States Territories to stop the growth of this practice. At the same time, I am willing to overturn the ban on Abolition, in order to achieve freedom for future peoples.

Military:
Under a Hensdale Administration, the Military would be massively expanded. The one One to One Ratio of Northern and Southern Soldiers would be thrown out of the door during my first days in office. I would proceed to inject and invest massive amounts of money into the Military to encourage technological advancements, to increase and speed up training, and most importantly, to pay for the massive soldier increase. Furthermore, I propose the creation of Two New Regiments. The first Regiment will be composed of only Southern Soldiers and can only be used to defend the Southern Homeland from threats. The Second Regiment will be a regiment of Free Blacks to serve openly under the banner of the United States. Lastly, regarding Military Matters, the Hensdale Administration would pass and enforce a complete ban of the Southern National Militia.

Foreign Policy:

It is my view that on the Foreign scale, the United States is just taking her first steps away from the idea we are just a break-away colony. We now stand, poised to help spread our influence and ideals of American Democracy to not only our own people, but to influence other nations to adopt our ideals. As President of the United States I would do everything in my power to promote the American Democracy worldwide. I will only resort to using Military Force if there is a serve case of oppressed peoples that we cannot sit around and be idle while we watch it happen.

Economy:

My view on the Economy is that it is best left alone to the American People. I have full faith in trust that if we give them the right incentives, lower taxes along with lower tariffs, then I believe the American Economy can grow wondrous leaps and bounds. With cheap goods and money in the hands of the people who make businesses in this country, I foresee a rapid industrialisation of the West and the South, and the continued growth of the Northern industry base.

Government:

Alongside President Brass, who will serve as my Vice-President, I seek to bring the Government out of the control of a one-party or one-faction interest. I see the Government of the United States as a central, federal system in which Americans from all over the country can engage in and be represented in. To do this, I have chosen a Vice-President of a different party and region, and I will continue to do this in my entire administration. I seek to bring qualified Americans to government, who can run and effectively manage the offices. I seek to not create gluttony of one party or region in the Government. Under my administration, Americans from all regions, parties, and beliefs will be represented and have a say in governance.

Election Manifesto of the States’ Republican Party
republicanticket1.jpg

Presidential Candidate: John F. Cameron
Vice Presidential Candidate: Jonathan L. Davis​

My fellow Americans, I return to this platform, seeking election as President not out of a personal desire for the office, or for power, but because it is the right thing to do. Because I feel if I do not then this Union shall be torn in two. Because if I do not then my ideology of liberalism which I love so shall be left dead on the blood soaked soils of battle. Because if I did not I would be betraying this country; I would be a traitor. That is why I seek to return to the office of the Presidency, eight years have passed since I was last in the oval office, and none have been internally peaceful. I, John F. Cameron am the only one who can restore order to our nation; through inclusive administration, through communication and engagement, through devoted and impassioned governance for the US as a whole. That is why I must stand here before you.

The Southern National Militia:
Many years ago I reached an agreement with those of the SNM which resulted in the Militia Act. The act was unparalleled in its success in bringing peace and order to our nation all the while increasing the regulation on a previously unruly system. Yet candidate Hensdale has branded this a failure! This shows his clear lack of understanding on the issue. In my eight years of Presidency the SNM was not a political issue and greatly helped us in the Mexican-American War, with no partisan riots, no brotherly deaths, and no civil conflict. The fact I was able to execute this while undergoing reform detrimental to the SNMs ability to be used as a political tool is testament to my competence on the issue and presents me as the best person possible to undertake the task of reforming and modernizing the SNM further, possibly under the suggestions of Colonel Mandrake, while not seeking its politically-motivated dissolution for the purposes of rhetoric.

Slavery:
My policy on slavery is the same as that which has proven so effective in the past; perusal of its gradual abolition through compromise and delegation with the slave-dependent populace. Only with their support may we stride forward to freedom.

Workers Rights:

A problem that has been greatly overlooked in our political system mostly from its inception, only given issue by my administration, is the of government assistance in the economic and social structure of our society. Not in the form of government interventionism which was proved to be fruitless under the Walsh administration and was once openly supported by Hensdale, but rather social benefits and the relieving of exploitation. The Cameron report was a great step forward, unparalleled in vision for many a year, if I win the Presidency I shall expand the diseases and ailments for which one can acquire governmental support, in order our workforce can be healthier, happier, and better for the new challenging world our Union must compete with. The only way that we may rival Britain the sphere of industry is through having a great and capable workforce, which one day I hope shall be entirely free. For those workers who already enjoy their freedom I shall introduce minimum working standards; regulations to avoid injury and death within the workplace and allow the common man to escape exploitation and unfair working conditions.

Cuba:
On the Cuban issue, my government would attempt the purchase of Cuba in order it may be made a free and democratic nation. If this were to fail we would not immediately implement military action, we are not, and never shall be; imperialists. Anything we do shall be done in the interests of the Cuban people, for the Cuban people, in order one day that it be the Cuban people who make their decisions and can project their own interests through the ballot box and responsible government. If Cuba were to rebel against Spanish rule then the United States would act immediately to protect her and her liberty. I’ve stated before that ultimately, and unavoidably, infallibly, inalienable human rights shall cross all lands and all seas. Perusal of that goal is liberalism.

Military:

On the military my policies are to continue the modernization of the military, and the building of a Grand Pacific Fleet, along with a marine force to accompany it in the protection of the United States, her waters and the nations we guarantee. Under a Cameron Administration the Pacific shall be the Mare Nostrum of liberty. Brass now claims that he is the only one who supports and respects the military, yet one remembers from personal experience his complete shunning of the military in previous Whig primaries and his pathetic “pacifism”, which shall see this nation weak and defenseless.

Economic:
As ever my economic policies are in support of free-enterprise and free-trade. To ensure the freedom of the United States of America.

--------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

You know the drill.
Also, Bills going to an aye/nay/abstain vote: Gold and Silver Bill, Cuban Liberty Act and the Compromise of 1856.

PS. I should warn you, it’s EXTREMELY unlikely that the winner will be able to keep things calm.

President: N/A On Ballot
Bills
Gold and Silver: Aye
Cuban Liberty Act: Aye
Compromise of 1856: Nay

Gold and Silver Act: Aye
Compromise of 1856: Hell Nay

I find it interesting that a man who never cared to maintain a strong military after the war, never fought for fortifications and a larger army the way I did even while opposing territorial expansion, whose naval expansion proposal is a mere copy of my own previous initiatives, can criticize my unwavering devotion to defending this nation.

And where is Davis in all of this? Mr.Cameron is not only misrepresenting me, but himself. How many people will want to vote for him when they see he has chosen, as his companion in preserving the union, is the nation's chief engineer of secessionism! How can he claim to stand for liberalism - where are his liberal policies? All he has ever done is serve extreme conservatism - he has done nothing in his years in office but protect and expand slavery and the Southern National Militia. I did more for liberalism in 4 years than he did in 8, and our platform is the one that promises to repeal the ban on abolition. OUR platform is the one expanding and preserving free speech and liberal democracy, giving popular sovereignty back to the people of this country; while Mr.Cameron supports corrupt paramilitary organizations and tyrannical state legislatures dominated by the kinds of sinister factions that James Madison warned about.

Only the Democratic-Republicans care about what the nation as a whole wants, care about freedom for all men, care about the cause of liberty and justice for all.

Last edited:
President: N/A On Ballot
Bills
Gold and Silver: Nay
Compromise of 1856: Aye

Last edited:
((A masterpiece of an election update, BBB. The "Cameron's Return" painting was an amusing and oddly quite fitting touch, and you really get across the atmosphere in Washington these days.))

To finish the letter
"...So, you ask me, who is the Whig? Who is the Liberal? After much deliberation, I must say that... it is the National Republican Party, or whatever its name becomes in later days. I have a complete trust that President Cameron may again turn the tide in this uproar and bring about reform and reasonable policies, should he be given the chance again by American voters like ourselves.
The Democrats are a step backwards, to military bluster and King-esque aggravation of regional and partisan politics. An attractive path in an election, but it is never the future. Cameron reminds us that it is by sensible and peaceful reform that we approach a more perfect Union..."

President: John F. Cameron and the States' Republican ticket
Gold and Silver Bill: Aye
Compromise of 1856: Nay, although I support many of its articles, the veto is an undermining - however well intentioned - of the institution of checks and balances.

I find it interesting that a man who never cared to maintain a strong military after the war, never fought for fortifications and a larger army the way I did even while opposing territorial expansion, whose naval expansion proposal is a mere copy of my own previous initiatives, can criticize my unwavering devotion to defending this nation.

Complete lies and slander! Election manifesto of 1841:

Military:
We shall fund great expansion in the military, especially in the area of the Navy; ensuring we have one of the grandest and most modern navies in the world and a powerful expeditionary force, capable of striking fear into the hearts of enemies we don’t share a land border with.

Election Manifesto of 1845:
Military:
We shall continue to provide the adequate funding necessary for an army engaged in battle with our southern foe, parallel to the expansion of the American Expeditionary Force.

And I have actions to back up my words. If you don't think I'm capable of leading a nation in wartime I suggest you have a conversation of the subject with Santa Anna.

And where is Davis in all of this? Mr.Cameron is not only misrepresenting me, but himself. How many people will want to vote for him when they see he has chosen, as his companion in preserving the union, is the nation's chief engineer of secessionism! How can he claim to stand for liberalism - where are his liberal policies? All he has ever done is serve extreme conservatism - he has done nothing in his years in office but protect and expand slavery and the Southern National Militia. I did more for liberalism in 4 years than he did in 8, and our platform is the one that promises to repeal the ban on abolition. OUR platform is the one expanding and preserving free speech and liberal democracy, giving popular sovereignty back to the people of this country

The Western states and territories are free are they not? I brought forward legislation giving women the vote did I not? I engineered the Cameron Report and shall see the ideas great expansion in this term! Along with working standards for all of our nation's common man. The ban on abolition was symbolic and for the sake of the Democrat side of the government, the same Democrats he is now subordinate to! Tell me something Mr Brass why did you not simply repeal the ban in your first term? I was the one who expanded full citizenship and liberal democracy to all of the US's new territories and the Indians, where another President could have exploited and plundered.

While Mr.Cameron supports corrupt paramilitary organizations and tyrannical state legislatures dominated by the kinds of sinister factions that James Madison warned about.

Only the Democratic-Republicans care about what the nation as a whole wants, care about freedom for all men, care about the cause of liberty and justice for all.

Blatant attack on the Seperation of Powers, the "Democrat-Republicans" wish to install an over-arching federal level of government seeking to control all aspects of state, as the Kings of Europe dominate their nations. There is no freedom, and no justice in war Mr Brass, I know, and you sir would lead us on an unstoppable path to it!

Last edited:
The central government can be just as tyrannical as the so-called "tyrannical state legislatures". Did we not fight a Revolution against the evils of an unmitigated, all powerful central government in which the colonies had no say? Did we not fight to be the United STATES? Truely, what is even the point of the states if they serve to be little more than tyrants, as you claim them to be, Mr. Brass? Should we thus eliminate the Senate and dissolve the states and replace them with departments of the federal government, as Santa Anna did in Mexico?

Infact, perhaps we should do that. It would unite the American people against a common threat; the all powerful, unquestionable central government, that would seek to rob them and their states of all their liberties, a government similar to that which our Founding Fathers and later the Texans revolted against.

I cannot support a party that would bring about the total disolvement of a piece of Southern Pride and Honor. I therefore cast my vote for Mr. Cameron and General Davis.

For the Bills:
Cuban Liberty Act: Nay, until a point in which the oppressed peoples in our own backyard can be freed (Mormons)

Sebastian Carr you sound like a supporter of mine, may I ask why you cast your vote for Hensdale?

Last edited:
((I think in game we'd actually both be L-F from the sounds of it, although all of the presidents so far have overseen brilliant economies regardless of policy :/ ))