• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, always a PITA that your mighty cog you started with has a glorious name like Ark Royal but your hulking Three Decker ship of the wall is forever known as "Big Ship" or Gubbi Gubbi....

You can rename ships in EU3 can´t ya?

You can rename ships in EU3 can´t ya?

Of course. But as he says, it's a royal PITA to rename 20-odd ships as they trickle in, in 4-ship batches over a 5-year period. Because your transports got all the aggressive-sounding names like Victory, Thunderer and Sovereign of the Seas, while your new warships are coming off the slipways christened Princess Charlotte, Charity and Pickle.

True—I know the history. Still a hilarious name, though.

If you ever run short of ship names I am sure your readers would be happy to provide some obscure or colourful ones.

If you ever run short of ship names I am sure your readers would be happy to provide some obscure or colourful ones.

Ships of the Royal Navy (2010) sits a mere chair push away on my shelf...some names are better left in the book however.

i just read through the whole AAR and it is amazing. Its great writing and presentation. Can I see a map of all you own though? Next update coming soon?

Just finished the AAR. Was it Papal belligerence that caused the synod event? That's truly a unique occurrance, I've never seen the Pope be anything better than a toy of the stronger Kingdom of Naples and Duchy of Tuscany.

And I cannot say this enough

THIS IS GREAT, YOU ARE PROBABLY ALSO GREAT

Oh, I had no idea. I just thought the name was hilarious. : )

There is actually a tradition in Commonwealth navies to celebrate Pickle Night on November 4th—commemorating Pickle's delivery to Britain of the news of Nelson's victory (and death) at Trafalgar. It more or less parallels the Trafalgar Night celebrations on October 23rd, but Trafalgar Night is observed by the wardroom (officers) and Pickle Night is observed by the ratings (enlisted men).

The reason they are a few days apart is so that there will be fewer scheduling conflicts, allowing distinguished visitors to attend both messes without slighting either.

Ships of the Royal Navy (2010) sits a mere chair push away on my shelf...some names are better left in the book however.

Thanks! I have a few hundred 19th century ship names at the ready, too. The Magna Mundi country files for England and Britain have two or three times as many vessel names as the default EU3 file, but not nearly as many as one might need by the 19th century. I may mod them in if I'm feeling super motivated one day.

If I get super-brilliant I might work in a contest somehow and use the winner's suggestions for ship and admiral names. And find a way to cram said admiral into an update. But that's a maybe, and I'm not sure if that would also require me to seek the dreaded "interactive AAR" designation and write my Paradox IAAR exams. :D

I dont want to seem impatient, but how long untill the next update?

I'm hoping for Monday night at the latest. Depends on how much junk I get done on the weekend.

i just read through the whole AAR and it is amazing. Its great writing and presentation. Can I see a map of all you own though? Next update coming soon?

Thank you! The map may take some work as I had planned to present them only every 50 years (the last one was c. 1470, here and below).

1470europemap800px.jpg

Not much has changed in England since 1470 except Gascony (minus Saintonge) is independent and Scotland has been absorbed.

EDIT: Here's the map of Europe, circa 1490.

1490mayeuropemap2800px.jpg

Just finished the AAR. Was it Papal belligerence that caused the synod event? That's truly a unique occurrance, I've never seen the Pope be anything better than a toy of the stronger Kingdom of Naples and Duchy of Tuscany.

Synods get called when the Papal State in MM gets too many territories. I got "lucky" in that my game's Papal State destroyed Naples and annexed most of it. (This is not something I normally see in MM, either.)

I don't think it can make any headway against the northern Italian states because they have a web of alliances with more powerful patrons. Though who knows what will happen if France gets the "Italian Ambitions" mission, and takes a bunch of them out.

And I cannot say this enough

THIS IS GREAT, YOU ARE PROBABLY ALSO GREAT

Hah, thanks! In my own mind, maybe. :p Fortunately my wife is generous with hilarious reminders of my all-too-human foibles, which keeps me from believing too much of my own good press. :D

EDIT: World map circa 1490 added to this reply, below 1470 map.

Last edited:
...and those maps are fantastic

I like that Serbia. I think Bosnia just needs a little bit of annexation and you'll have a good ol' fashioned Yugoslavia on your hands. New and improved with 100% more Albania!

A very interesting AAR!

...and those maps are fantastic

Thank you, fellas. Much appreciated. And Avindian, I'm thoroughly enjoying your Tuscany AAR!

To PARIS!!!:D
Wait, still fighting the Ottomans...Crush or be crushed!

Paris will have to wait for a bit. When fighting France it is best to throw ALL the armies at it, not just half. :D

I like that Serbia. I think Bosnia just needs a little bit of annexation and you'll have a good ol' fashioned Yugoslavia on your hands. New and improved with 100% more Albania!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The really hilarious bit is that Bosnia is a little island of Roman Catholicism inside a sea of Orthodox Serbia. When it was released from Austria, it took its former master's religion and government type...

I love those maps, Chris. Truly you are a god amongst men (with your wife's permission)! :)

Been stealth reading since the beginning, but I'll emerge from the shadows to say that this AAR is easily one of my favourites. Eagerly awaiting the next update!