• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Somehow I feel four Daimyo's is a bit low... but I'm not a history buff so I'm not sure how historical that would be.
Increasing the number might provide for a more interesting internal struggle, I think...

Sounds good otherwise, though.

I'm not a buff on Japanese history at all, but having played MM, (which strives to be as accurate as possible) there seems to have been alot more :)

But well, I'm not too worried whether they got the correct ammount or not, there'll be some to mod it anyway, as long as it's entertaining, and gives modders the opportunity to make it even more fun, I'm quite satisfied :b

The problem is you see them from straight above, that is what is making it harder to see them :eek:o

Of course I am seeing them from straight above but when compared with similiar shots from the old map the view (or flagpole) extended in a way so that the you could still recognize what flag you're looking at. Could be nothing. If it is fine Vic2 I'm sure I'll get used to it but it does concern me a bit.

Modding question: will it be possible to duplicate this shogunate and authority system, for example for France and her vassals?

No, currently, as with the hre, there can only be one. What you can do is remove the shogunate and use it for france though.

I'll be definitely buying this expansion. It sounds great, the new map looks fantastic. I will finally play as Japan when Divine Wind comes out.

Usually I'm not a big fan og specializing each faction to much, even though it of course can be defended in certain cases like Japan. Four internal factions seems low, but afaik there were seldom more than a few challengers to the shogun title anyway, so why not have a few strong candidates, instead of HRE, with a few strong candidates and a dozen of unimportant OPMs.

However more interesting than Japan itself, will the system that is used for Japan, be something that could be added for other nations as well? Even though I don't find it realistic to be used for France for instance, it could be very interesting to use, especially in the medieval mods.

No, currently, as with the hre, there can only be one. What you can do is remove the shogunate and use it for france though.
Well, thanks for answering that anyway, it appears to be a popular question :)
However more interesting than Japan itself, will the system that is used for Japan, be something that could be added for other nations as well? Even though I don't find it realistic to be used for France for instance, it could be very interesting to use, especially in the medieval mods.
Answered above :p

This is kind of disappointing. The ability to create new HRE-style arrangements through modding would have been a huge bonus.

This is kind of disappointing. The ability to create new HRE-style arrangements through modding would have been a huge bonus.

Probably engine limitations or too hard to make fool-proof.
Like, what if a nation is in several of these arrangements? How would these interact? How would you integrate that in the interface?

It would have been nice but I can totally imagine several reasons that they'd rather not.

Sure sounds as a lot of fun to play a Japanese Daimyo. Awesome flags/shields too :cool: I wonder if it will be noticeably different for European nations' dealings with the Far East though.

Modding question: will it be possible to duplicate this shogunate and authority system, for example for France and her vassals?

Good idea. Surely woudl be a good fit for the early HRE in mods with earlier timeline.

Probably engine limitations or too hard to make fool-proof.
Like, what if a nation is in several of these arrangements? How would these interact? How would you integrate that in the interface?

It would have been nice but I can totally imagine several reasons that they'd rather not.

Something for on the list for EU4 in 2013 or so.

Same here, awasome, finaly getting to play as the Taira Daimyo in the Sengoku Jidai, my dream. :(
Come on guys, at least use Uesugi, Oda, Mori and Shimazu for the 4 names....

What's in a name? And the four you picked don't work particularly well in 1399 any more than the Paradox four work in the sixteenth century.

I'm happy to see the new system in place, but I share concerns that this could seriously imbalance a united Japan with respect to China and Korea.

Four internal factions seems low, but afaik there were seldom more than a few challengers to the shogun title anyway, so why not have a few strong candidates, instead of HRE, with a few strong candidates and a dozen of unimportant OPMs.

I don't know... Four is only... four. :)
I still believe the internal struggle could be more interesting with a more contenders. Like... six. Six is more than four. ;)

There is one thing I wonder about: How will this work if another power, perhaps China attacks Japan, wins the war with enough warscore to demand the territory of an entire clan? Also, what if say war was about a claim to the throne?

EDIT: Two things actually

Last edited:
What will happen if they use an abtraction like that in Europe ? If HRE in EU4 only have 10 medieval duchies, there will be chaos in the forum. But in Japan, it is fine because nobody cares about Asian history anyway. Lame excuse.

It saddens me to say this, but it looks like the system will be very static (the 4 same factions from 1399 to 16XX ? Det kan inte vara ! You used to strive for "historicity") and "light" (you will play a faction of Japan just like any other country, with a twist). So I will not be looking forward playing in Japan - which defeats one of the main point of the expansion. I guess this is due to too little time for proper research for your team.

I would have much preferred a system like MM (without the bugs), which was more "historic" and extremely dynamic and allowed one "faction" to rise and crumble within a decade, before being replaced by a "new" faction that never was on the map before.

Well, to each its own I suppose. And since it is moddable...

Last edited:
There were almost two thousand separate rulers in the HRE, but Paradox abstracts that to thirty or so. I don't see anyone screaming because the Counts of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Virneburg aren't individually represented in EUIII with their own tag... So why complain because the three hundred or so daimyo families are also abstracted down to four alliances?

But am i right to assume that, on the other hand, one can add more than four nations in the Shogunate ? MEIOU and several other mods add many japanese clans...

Yes, you can add more daimyos. The only thing you need to add to the country history file is 'daimyo = yes' and voila: you have another daimyo! Of course, you'll need to add provinces to the country as well and add some other files...

But am i right to assume that, on the other hand, one can add more than four nations in the Shogunate ? MEIOU and several other mods add many japanese clans...

Yes, any country can be scripted to be a daimyo in the country history files. So in theory you could make a bunch of opm daimyos.