• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Loved SOTS1, played to death (well, a few hundred hours at least!). Saw trainwreck of SOTS2 launch so waited. Bought game recently for not very much money. Played 41 mins. Will wait for a few more months. That about sums it up for me. Personally its still alpha stage, features missing, clunky and not 100% usable. These are my *personal* impressions before I need to don the nomex suit!

I'll wait a few more months before trying again.

I don't think a big overhaul mod will be around in two weeks ;p Sots 2 is simply too slow (Not just the *terrible* GUI and combat FPS weirdness) but the actual gameplay, and this is apparently by design. And let's be honest.. I am just here to see when the mod tools release, because the game as it stands now is about as far away from "epic space opera" as it can get.

Maybe ACM or FRB will exist for Sots 2.... one can hope, no?

To me, that is when its a complete game. When we can edit the textures, the models and GUI graphics.

I missed the whole release debacle however have been following the games development with some interest since ... I finally jumped in and bought the game yesturday after regrettably missing the $8 gamersgate sale.. I dont regret buying it and I can see alot of potential - and ive actually found the game fun for the 6 hours ive put into it so far.

There are some bugs to be sure, my last game economy crashed completely due to overtaxation and I couldnt seem to find a way to recover it (although this could have been my newbieness) and the final nail in the coffin in that game was the fact I was getting owned anyways and it CTD.

Im getting some heavy slowdown in the tactical battles which im sure will be fixed when they optimise everything... other than that the graphics are gorgeous and its satisfying to watch the battles.

Overall im happy to rate it a 5/10 so far with a high potential upside in a couple of patches.

If you are getting heavy slow downs in tactical than try to disable sound, there is a known bug that keeps itch slapping rimbimbambo regarding certain sound cards.

Warder

Mate, Ive been reading the forums for a while now and you seem to be almost "full time" defending this product, as if your an employee or something.. Since when is "turning off the sound" a solution (which I didn't ask for mind you).

Mate, Ive been reading the forums for a while now and you seem to be almost "full time" defending this product, as if your an employee or something.. Since when is "turning off the sound" a solution (which I didn't ask for mind you).

When it fixes the problem. Look mate you posted that you were having heavy slowdowns in combat and he told you the workaround for it.

Still good to hear the game progressing. I check from time to time. When the general opinion will be that it is fun and free of bugs, I will give it a try.

I think it is pretty close now. I've certainly played worse games in my time!

The game seems pretty quick now with turn times much better and, I find, perfectly playable. Probably my only complaint now is with the AI players being a little too keen for war. It seems as soon as they meet me they dislike me, I have yet to come across someone who won't instantly declare war (i play either human or tarkas)! However, at least I have been able to persuade one faction into a cease fire for the moment so that area seems to be working.

It has no AI to speak of yet. That alone, whether technically feature complete or not, makes it pretty pointless to play in its' current state. However, if the developer wishes to survive as a viable studio entity they will fix this game incrementally over time as they did with the original title. If they do not, no one will ever buy a game they develop ever again and they will be out of business in short order.

If they do not, no one will ever buy a game they develop ever again and they will be out of business in short order.
If that is correct, paradox should be out of business for releasing game after game that isn't ready. But paradox drones continue to buy every broken game they release. When will you people hold paradox responsible for releasing games that are not ready?

If that is correct, paradox should be out of business for releasing game after game that isn't ready. But paradox drones continue to buy every broken game they release. When will you people hold paradox responsible for releasing games that are not ready?

I really believe the whole "Pre-Order" online digital-download syndrome is to blame here - it incents bad behavior by PI and/or Kerberos - or ANY game developer - to release a product prematurely. You have a fairly large group of early customers that pre-order and show the SW company that there is a significant source of revenue just sitting there waiting the game's official "release" so that the credit card payments can be triggered and the revenue realized/obtained...

That's why I've decided to NEVER preorder any game ever again... and if more players did the same, it would remove the level of temptation to devs to release a pre-alpha as a tested-and-ready game, IMHO.

When they stop fixing them.
<- Yikes has hell frozen over!? 0_o ;)

I agree. Until the games AI provides most players with a "challenge" it wont be complete. At least in my eyes. Though what that means is subjective! Having the features in and working is a good mark to at least see that months of effort have gone into working/finishing the game off, since its er... release.

I know people are peeved with the original state of the game but, look at where it is now. Lets just hope Kerberos continue to put in the effort to completing the game I know we all want to see.

Buy broken, fix later! What an absurd concept. But there are suckers born every minute.
Every computer OS out there runs on that concept. Oh, certainly not intentionally, but that's the way it works out for folks. And, yes, we are all suckers at one time or another. Your loudest voice is the way you wield your pocket book, so shout out!