• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((By-the-by, I'm moving country today so my Internet connection might become erratic.))

The threat of the Tripartite Act is not an anti-American alliance, but something far worse: Eurasian union.

In military terms, the United States enjoys total naval supremacy over the Tripartite Pact. Even if the three imperial powers sought to challenge our nation directly in war - which I do not believe is likely - they would have no means of bringing the battle to our shores. The threat, therefore, is not military, but economic. For in economic terms, Eurasian union would be disastrous for our nation, whose wealth and prosperity is dependent on free trade with Europe and Asia. Eurasian union offers a reprieve for the continental system of Napoleon; it will enable the great powers of Germany, Austria and Russia to shut their markets off to us, as well as the markets of their satellites and possessions. The greatest share of our international trade is derived from Europe and Asia, particularly China. It is from Europe that we receive the specie necessary to finance our trade with China. Eurasian union would not only conspire to deprive us of our European trade and main source of specie, but would also - via Russian influence in China - threaten our very trade in Asia. We must not allow the pathways of prosperity to be strangled by European protectionism. Free and open trade is essential to the continued affluence and development of the United States.

For this reason, we cannot support Germany so long as she maintains her alliance with Russia and Austria. But neither should we oppose her. Germany is a conservative power, and is thus concerned with maintaining the status quo. This places her at odds with her coalition partners, Austria and Russia: the former seeks to restore lost prestige via expansion into the former territories of Turkey-in-Europe, while the latter desires to aggrandise herself by carving up China. Germany – who has few interests in the Balkan, and fewer still in Asia – is unlikely to be complicit in such schemes, not least when they threaten to throw the Balance of Power into upheaval. The contradictory pressures of Austria and Russia reaching outwards and Germany pulling inwards will conspire to tear the Triple Alliance asunder. No foreign exertions – not least from the United States – are necessary to accomplish this. On the contrary, American intervention would galvanise the Triple Alliance in opposition and provide the cohesion that it currently lacks.

As such, we must shed our European entanglements. We must maintain good relations with Germany, but go no further until she abandons her alliance. We must avoid conflict with Russia, who is at any rate adequately constrained in China by British opposition. Above all, we must avoid any commitment that could potentially lead us to a war against any of the European powers. Europe is another world, relevant to the United States only in market terms. We will uphold peace in Europe by removing ourselves from it, and so ensure our prosperity and save our armies from war.

- Marinus van Mayer

Last edited:
Why should the United States of America entangle itself with internal disputes in South America or Europe? Is it truly our responsability to attack other countries based on their ideologies? Is this truly liberty?

For many years our founding fathers fought AGAINST the intervention of powers -the british empire and spain- in American soil. They fought overwhelming odds and won, defeating the british lion and securing independencene and freedom against our tyrannical masters. Why should we attack Peru and do the same thing the UK did to us? We are truly the greatest country in the world, a free country in a not-so-free world. Our goal is not to invade other countries for them to know how great we are! No, we must shine in the background, we must prove our system to be stable, powerful and sustainable, so that when the European empires collapse in economic ruin by their planned economies, they look up to us and follow our example. The ultimate way for the world to become free and follow the american example is not to force their views, like dictators, but instead remain stable and prosperous, so that when they start to fail they can become democracies and turn to laissez faire.

Peru might be under communist hands, but they are in no way a threat to us. We are strong and stable, despite the economic crisis, and will sustain our power through time. Their revolution will be harsh, unstable and bloody. They will be ruined for many years, until the people is fed up and decide to implement another system. Will their prefer fascism or will they prefer liberalism? They will follow the american way! Why? Because we have always been there, powerful and influential. Influential not by arms, but by diplomacy and trade. Their press might be censored, the dissidents may be persecuted, but there will be legends about the American Dream. People will flock to our cities, to our factories and to our great nation. Soon, intellectuals will make theories and attempt to change the dictatorships around the globe. People will realize we are having prosperity and freedom, while they are starving and suffering. They WILL follow our model, because we will prove them that we are the best nation, by simply being there. Then, all dictatorships around the world will slowly begin to fall apart, because the people will come to realize only our model works, because we are going to be the most stable and prosperous nation in the world.

What is more convincing? An armed foreign soldier telling you their system is best by force.. or the hope of having the American Dream come true? The hope that one day, you might go find a job and get your own house, the hope of becoming rich and prosperous by your own hard work? The hope of EARNING your way to a better life, without discrimination?

I believe that trade and diplomacy is the way, and I fear that attacking countries to enforce our views might make other country hate us. Let's build our way to a better future, by being the constant. Let's be the only solid thing in this collapsing world: A non-interventionist America!

-Mr. Carlsson

The Presidential Election of 1905

With the impending end of Harrison’s Presidency, the fault lines in American politics began to show again. The issue of nationalization tore apart the decade-long cooperation between the Federal and Democratic parties. The Empire of Liberty, one of the great unifying forces of the last four years, smashed the consensus of the ACP and the Federals. The three-party system was back in full force.
Even Harrison, usually the great mediator when parties squabbled, took sides, speaking against nationalization on the eve of the National Conventions. To Floyd Weaver, who was the strongest proponent of the policy and would eventually win the Democratic nomination, it was the defining moment where “the legacy of Joe Hayden left James Harrison”. Numerous theories have been proposed to explain Harrison’s sudden partisanship, but the clearest and most likely right answer was that late 1904 was the first time that congress was divided enough to force him to take a side.

cabinet1904.jpg

1. James Harrison and his cabinet in November 1904, as the Golden Era of the Federal Party “collapsed around them” [1].​

At the National Convention, Harrison placed his vote for T. H. Terrance, the young and charismatic economic philosopher who ran Philadelphia. Terrance won the nomination with relative ease, picking Alicia Vallejo as his running mate, making her the first female to have a shot at the presidency, and the President began to prepare his retirement from politics. In his own words he wanted to “see the world from outside of the United States before my years catch up with me”. Meanwhile, the ACP had nominated one of the oldest candidates since Henry Jarvis.
Calvin C. Carr had been Secretary of War for four years. To him, foreign policy was the most important matter, and more specifically Peru. In his opinion, the “Dictatorship of the Proletariat” was a threat to American democracy like no other. Nationalization he opposed due to its perceived similarity to Communism. Carr intended to leave Europe alone, and concentrate on the “more imminent threat of a violent and debased revolution spreading from Peru”.

[1] – The most obvious sign of the end of the Era of Cooperation was the resignation of Secretary of the treasury Anton Maxim, over the amount of opposition faced by his demands for American aid to the Poles.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1905

Election Manifesto of the Federal Party

Presidential Candidate: T. H. Terrance
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Alicia Vallejo

Today I present you, the American people my vision for the United States of the future. This century offers prosperity and opportunity if we seize the moment and if this next administration is competent and informed. If not however it could spell disaster and start this next century on a path of tyranny and absolutism; the Empire of Liberty will die. For the latter half of the last century American growth was built around the healthcare system envisioned by Cameron. I hope this century grows around a fine education system and pensions for our elderly. It is this, and the will of the American people, that allow us to build a compassionate society, a place where the American dream is true and pure. We will build together a meritocratic society whose roots are the peace of the world.

A Commonwealth Alliance
An unbreakable alliance between ourselves and the democracies of Europe will ensure this century is a century of peace. Our vision of the world is in line with those of the United Kingdom and France, and we cannot allow the free lights of Europe to be extinguished.

Education
Harrison's education reform saw the system become more efficient and we have got the most out of our education system at the current levels of funding. What I propose is a simple federal grant bestowed to schools across America to provide a higher standard of education. This will equip schools with the resources they need to produce literate, intelligent, innovative children for the future workforce. Due to its simple nature it will not be necessary to implement a vast costly bureaucracy and yet we shall soon see the benefits. I also propose a significant scheme of government grants to allow even the very poorest of men, if they put in the effort, to go to one of our fine universities. Class constraints shall collapse as higher education is unlocked for the working man, and meritocracy will follow. Is that not the American dream?

Pensions
We enjoy the finest healthcare in the world, it was revolutionary when it was envisioned by Cameron and it is envied by the world today. Yet while we offer help to the working sick we do not offer significant help to another portion of the vulnerable population; the elderly. I propose that federal provision of old age pensions, modeled on our healthcare system be implemented post haste. It will be yet another step towards improving the lives of the ordinary American people, and shall allow our parents or grandparents, and eventually ourselves to live out our twilight years in peace and dignity.

Latin America
We must be plain with the Santiago Pact, we are willing to forgive them for any past woes and we may share the Americas in peace if they do not attempt any shenanigans again. President Harrison showed we are willing to use our great Navy, they would be most unwise to close their ears to our requests again.

Children's Money
A small, but important payment to be made to the parents when a child is born, a time of uncertainty and need for too many, in order to help the parents during the early stages. This will help avert infant poverty, and ensure that no child in this Union has to grow in squalor and destitution.

Gunboats
We shall expand the Navy dramatically. I may disagree with Jarvis on so many things but he is right when he says we need the strongest Navy in the world to ensure the safety of our homeland. Modern battleships shall be made in droves so we will have complete supremacy in whatever Ocean we may find ourselves in, against any potential enemy. Aggressor nations of the world will look at our fleet and tremor in fear!

Political Reform
The electoral college is out of date, reform is needed for the new century and I would introduce a constitutional amendment to have it replaced by a direct vote. Fairer, simpler and cheaper. I would also consult on the reform of Congress. Harrison’s amendment , securing women’s voting in our constitution was one of his great acts, and my Vice President shall be the first female person to hold that office. And may I say I am certain she shall be one of the most effective and honest Vice Presidents of all time.

Economic Sense
The Democrats would see us nationalizing industry pointlessly and re-establishing the very monopolies that nearly tore our country apart, only this time under the control of the state. This would be costly to our country and damaging to our economy both in the short and the long term. They declare that their intentions are to exterminate the rich, mine are much more sensible. The rich shall pay their fair share; if we are unable to fund the new programs it is taxes on them that shall rise, and the rich shall be opened up; America is about having the ability to rise through the ranks of society via hard work. It is because of that Harrison busted the trusts. It is to restore that right that I will introduce the opportunity to benefit from higher education regardless of income level. It is because of this I shall complete the cycle of social reform that began with Cameron and has been contributed to by every great President since. A welfare system supporting the people from the cot to the coffin! And of course a fleet to defend our freedoms.

Election Manifesto of the American Conservative Party
carrcampaign.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Calvin C. Carr
Vice-Presidential Candidate: ????​

Americans of all ages, genders, faiths, races, and creeds, I stand before you as a humble man that asks only for one thing: for you to listen. There are many issues that have come up, many of them relatively unheard of in prior times. As most of you know, I stand primarily with the principles of our Founding Fathers. Some of these principles may be outdated, based on a time when America was a small and fragile nation that could have very easily been very short-lived, and I have since revised these policies in such a way that I believe would better fit us in this day and age. But, for the most part, the views expressed by our Founding Fathers are tried and true, and have led not only to economic growth on a massive, unprecedented scale, but also have led to the American people being the freest people on God's green earth. So, from every mountainside, from sea to shining sea, let freedom ring in the land of the free and the home of brave!

My economic policy is primarily based on the principles of non-interference and laissez-faire. The more the government intervenes in the economy, the less productive our industry is, and if we wish to keep our place as one of the strongest, if not the strongest, economies in the world, we cannot let that happen.

Tariffs should be placed on foreign goods. This is for two purposes: so that we may maintain a stronger industry than Europe, and so that we can avoid a deficit if worse comes to worse.

I see the United States of America as being God's gifted nation. I also believe that many of our laws are fundamentally based on what we draw from the Bible, i.e. "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shalt not steal", "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor", and so on and so forth. Thus, I believe we should encourage Christianity in all things.

I believe all men were created equal, and therefore all people, regardless of their race, religion, creed, or anything else are protected by our Constitution, and therefore their rights should be valued just as highly as anyone else's, for if we do not protect the rights of, say, a black man, then what is to stop us from failing to respect the rights of a white man, or an Arab man, or so on and so forth?

We should keep our nose out of Europe, as their affairs are none of ours. I have spoken on the Polish Question many times and I'm certain many are tired of hearing it, but I will repeat myself once more: why should we care about a nation that hasn't existed in over a century all the way across the Atlantic? Why should we show sympathy for them, but not for the Croats, or the Hungarians, or the Albanians, or the Bulgarians, or any other European people that does not currently possess a nation? The only answer I was given for this question was so that we could have a buffer against Russia, but I fail to see why we would even need one, considering Russia has neither the ability nor the reason to attack us. The same can be said for Germany and France.

Central and South America, however, is a different matter. The USCA and Chile have repeatedly shown that they will not hesitate to attack American ships and steal American property. Therefore, I propose that the United States acts in an appropriate manner. We must show the USCA and Chile that we will not stand for their aggressive anti-Americanism. Peru is also a special case, as they became a communist dictatorship a few years back. Normally this wouldn't matter to me as dictatorship is common throughout South America. However, the usual South American military dictators care little for the personal lives of their people, so long as they do not threaten the dictator's power. The Peruvian government, on the other hand, has made it their agenda to violate the natural rights of the Peruvian people by violating their natural rights, allowing them no privacy whatsoever, and practically turning them into slaves to the communist regime. I therefore propose a campaign against the communist government of Peru in order to liberate the Peruvian people from their oppression and allow them to go about their lives as they please once more.

Vote Carr for prosperity at home and prestige abroad!

Election Manifesto of the Democratic Labor Party
dlp.png

Presidential Candidate: Floyd Weaver
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Jimmy Nightmore
For too long the failed policies of capital incumbency, of trade monopoly, and economic aristocracy have ridden on the back of the economic successes of mixed market candidates. It's time to break that cycle by putting the commanding heights of the economy into the hands of the communities around them; be it on as small a scale as the local township owning their utilities and being paid a rent on their natural resources by the surrounding mines and other industries, or as large a scale as federally chartered public companies to run the railroads and the telegraphs. When wage earners have a stake in their surroundings and in society at large, civic participation and public morals will increase dramatically and liberty shall ring throughout the land. This is the plausible promise of the Democratic Labor ticket.

The Democratic Convention Presents This Platform To The American People -

Economic Affairs

The Individual American Will, For The First Time, Have The Power of the Titans

The Nationalization of Key Industries
- The Steel Industry (to become U.S. Steel)
- The Oil Industry (to become Petroleum America)
- The Auto Industry (to become National Motors)

The Nationalization of the Banks (to become the Bank of America)

The Nationalization of All Highways, Railroads, and Canals by Federal Administration

The Formation of the Department of Land Valuation to Value Land and Mineral Resources, For The Purposes of Corporate Holdings Paying A Fair Rent On Those Resources To The Relevant Local, County, or State Governments.

The Formation of a Decentralized Federal Program For The Purpose of Electrification, the Founding of Power Plants, and Land Reclamation; All In Rural Areas: The Rural Improvement Authority (RIA)

The Formation of a Decentralized Federal Program For The Purposes of Electrification, Housing, and Urban Planning; All In Metropolitan Areas: The Metropolitan Works Administration (MWA)

The Restoration of Municipal Control Of Private Utilities (Public Utilities Will Be Allowed To Maintain In County, State, and Federal Hands If They Are So)

Domestic Affairs

To Increase Wages and Lower Prices In the Market System, Increased Production Is Key. And The Key To Increased Production At This Juncture Is Increased Immigration.

International Affairs
The successes of the Harrison administration regarding Foreign Policy were the push towards Canadian and Australian plebiscite. A Democratic government will look forward to these events in 1908 with great anticipation and will both before, during, and after expend the bulk of our political capital and state department resources in bringing these two nations into a common market and common defense with the United States. Furthermore, the terms of the Commonwealth state that the United States has the right, in the eyes of Great Britain, to pursue such closer relations with nations throughout Latin America and the Pacific.

We must enter a new stage of foreign policy, where British control of Commonwealth membership does not prevent us from building up our own separate sphere of influence through peaceful oceanic cooperation with rising Latin American and Asian democracies. We must encourage democracy in the Pacific as a matter of course for the good of the free world and the good of all peoples. The Commonwealth with Britain makes this a possible dream, and we are a grateful for that. But having a separate economic sphere of peace-loving countries should allow us to not be dragged into war should Britain take the unwise action of entering into bloody conflicts on the European continent; conflicts this country will never sacrifice a single American life to under a Weaver administration.

---------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Vote please.

Last edited:
((*cough* I do believe you've misplaced your picture, BBB.

Also, I completely and totally forgot about the existence of VPs. Derp.))

Whatever do you mean? :D

Fixed.

Calvin Carr is the only candidate that will allow America to continue in its greatness. No other candidate has proposed anything close to what our nation needs. The only fault in Carr's platform is his stance on religion, but 4 years is not enough to change what has been done in 70.

- Vice-President Roderick Khur

Calvin Carr

((*cough* Mr. Hensdale is an ACP member who is quite awesome at being a potential VP *cough*))

"T. H. Terrance is the only candidate who can bring this country together and forge a new path forward of increased liberty, democracy, and prosperity. If you want a warmonger-in-chief who cares nothing for an Empire of Liberty and only an Empire of Tyranny, vote Calvin Carr. If you want an ideologue incapable of adjusting to the changing times, vote Weaver. But if you want a continuation of Hayden and Harrison, then vote Terrance!"
- Attorney-General Erica Hayden-Vallejo

((*cough* Mr. Hensdale is an ACP member who is quite awesome at being a potential VP *cough*))

((But if family history is anything to go by, he's also a backstabbing bastard.))

Terrance's idea of domestic affairs is basically sound and represents the second-largest group of Americans, the middle-class. But his attitudes about preserving the "lights" of Europe, Britain and France, will get us into a war with the Tripartite Powers. A war we would doubtless win, but a war the working class will, without any doubt in my mind, not support.

If the costs of war were limited to middle class volunteers I might have endorsed a Federal-Labor coalition, but neither candidates are acceptable to me and neither candidate should be acceptable to you, the American people! A moralizing authoritarian who wants a tropical empire in Latin America and a bloodthirsty idealist willing to bring countless American lads to the slaughterhouse Europe will doubtless be at some point in this generation.

The Democratic-Labor Party will steer this country away from the pits of European death worship and back into the light of day! Nothing is as destructive to the rights of labor and of dissent as war; war is the state in which unions are crushed and dissenters are trampled; when groups seen as acceptable members of society today are cast into a pit called "radicalism" for a generation, just because of not endorsing a national fit of blood-soaked insanity!

If the middle-class has the ideals to not seek empire to our South and wishes to keep their sons and husbands alive, they should vote Democratic-Labor. If the employing classes seek to not risk their fortunes in war so a few of their number can consolidate and buy off their family's inheritance, yet at the same time don't wish to establish a business dictatorship by force in Latin America, then they should vote Democratic-Labor.

And the working class, who live in solidarity with their brothers across all nations and have the most to lose from war should rally to their party, the party of Democratic-Labor!

((But if family history is anything to go by, he's also a backstabbing bastard.))

((John Hensdale died before the Civil War. Sam Hensdale was a senator from Maryland, a Union State. David Hensdale is the Secretary of State. During the Civil War I was the President of the CSA, unrelated to the Hensdales.))

And how do I stand for an Empire of Tyranny? I stand for protecting our ships and our trade from the Santiago Pact and liberating the Peruvian people from a dictatorship that actively makes it their duty to violate the rights of their people and kill anyone who disagrees. Surely you cannot tell me I stand for an Empire of Tyranny when this is the case, especially when it was primarily people of your political orientation, Ms. Vallejo, that called for war against Spain in order to put an end to the abuses of the Cuban people and the terrorism of the rebel government-in-exile.

Last edited:
When Callahan and Harrison do it it's liberation and cleaning out anti-american terrorists. When I do it it's imperialism in the name of the rich. Interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Also, just for the record, joining the army is an entirely optional choice. Let's assume you are correct and that I am sending these men out to die: so? They know full well the risk they are taking when they join the army, and if they don't, well then who's fault is that, mine or theirs? If this were a draft, well then that would be a completely different story. But as it stands, you are essentially making the assumption that I am forcing these men to fight when that is not the case in the least.

Last edited:
I must agree with Mister Carr. While I too disagree with his intervention plans in Latin America, I sense a double standard against him, and would like to see how you can justify such a hypocrisy.