• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Let's just say I intend for Carr to pull a complete 180 and go from isolationist to Vallejo-style rightist hawk. ;)))
((My one pacifist character is going to go down in the annals of history as a war hawk, isn't he? I suppose he and Jamous can make a club.

And King, there's no wargoal for puppeting or for annexing Peru at this state (unless Peru really lost land, since it's probably a large civilized state). It would take several wars (and so a couple decades unless we really want to get infamy and other horrible effects) and a lot of infamy to annex Peru entirely without any extra tricks. I think a cut down to size and savegame editing/modded event would be the only way to have a reasonably simple government intervention. Or AHD.))

((My one pacifist character is going to go down in the annals of history as a war hawk, isn't he? I suppose he and Jamous can make a club.))

((What about my most awesome of all characters? 0.o
He wasn't a hawk, there was not a single war while he was in office. He was responsible for holding off the Spanish-American War for as long as it did, and ensured the balance of power in Europe was stable with a unified Germany.))

((What about my most awesome of all characters? 0.o
He wasn't a hawk, there was not a single war while he was in office. He was responsible for holding off the Spanish-American War for as long as it did, and ensured the balance of power in Europe was stable with a unified Germany.))
((I meant a club of characters who went down in history as the opposite of their actual ideologies. Jamous was seen as heavily pro-business and pro-monopolist industrialist and D. Vallejo is seen as a war hawk.))

((I meant a club of characters who went down in history as the opposite of their actual ideologies. Jamous was seen as heavily pro-business and pro-monopolist industrialist and D. Vallejo is seen as a war hawk.))

((Ah, that makes sense. I never understood why people say Jamous was the one to create the monopolies, when his interventionism was geared towards helping out eh little businesses and struggling businesses, in order to keep competition alive and around. What did Ballejo even do during his term? I hardly remember it all, let alone him being a war-hawk.))

((Vallejo was president? When?))

EDIT: ((Oh yeah, just after Bridgeworthy, right?))

Last edited:
((Yeah, he's one of the obscure presidents because not much happened while he was in office. The economy boomed, Colombia was kept in the U.S. sphere of influence against the influence of Central America... yeah, that's basically it for the history textbooks. :p

Mostly, he tried to keep the economy from failing (either crashing or getting glutted with monopolies, by intervening sparingly and strategically) and wars/rebellions from starting in the American influenced parts of the world, and he succeeded in that (although monopolies did not lose that much steam). He also tried to keep the U.S. aligned more with fellow democracies, I guess.))

((Yeah, he's one of the obscure presidents because not much happened while he was in office. The economy boomed, Colombia was kept in the U.S. sphere of influence against the influence of Central America... yeah, that's basically it for the history textbooks. :p

Mostly, he tried to keep the economy from failing (either crashing or getting glutted with monopolies, by intervening sparingly and strategically) and wars/rebellions from starting in the American influenced parts of the world, and he succeeded in that (although monopolies did not lose that much steam). He also tried to keep the U.S. aligned more with fellow democracies, I guess.))

((And Hayden was his Secretary of Industry. I think that's what he's most known for. :p ))

Candidate Nightmore, can you please further explains some of your policies and tell Americans why they should vote for you instead of President Harrison? Who has the real claim to the legitimate legacy of President Joe: the Democratic party itself, or his vice president now president Mr. Harrison?

((The Primaries right now...))

And I'm calling those now that I'm done with the first draft of my economics essay. (There's something satisfying about getting to talk about banana republics and the late 19th century American economy for a non-history school subject :D).

The Polls are Closed.

Federal Candidate: James Harrison
Democratic Candidate: George Walsh (2 to 1 victory by my count)
ACP candidate: Kade Roland Carter

Try to get policies to me ASAP, though I'm warning you that I have a history project and essay that I need to get started on before next week, so I may be busy tomorrow.

I will be backing George Walsh, since the Democratic Party are the true champions of progress! Harrison was a good replacement for Hayden, but we have to remember that the Democratic Party will fight for the Working Classes today and tomorrow. Can you really say that about the Federalists? The spirit of Hayden and everything he stood for lives on in the Democratic Party.

Okay. Now I'm setting a deadline:

Roy Mustang, if you do not have a Platform in my Inbox by 16:00 GMT on January 17th, I will begin writing a platform based on how I believe the ACP would run.

((BBB, if you don't get a platform, do you want me to draft one; basically, it will be toned down from what I would've ran on (Not as dovish, not as anti-regulatory...)? I'm not entirely sure what Roy wants, but I agree with most of the ACP platform...))

((BBB, if you don't get a platform, do you want me to draft one; basically, it will be toned down from what I would've ran on (Not as dovish, not as anti-regulatory...)? I'm not entirely sure what Roy wants, but I agree with most of the ACP platform...))

Please do so. My schedule was unexpectedly filled.

((Who is Carter's VP, if anyone knows? I might be a bit busy today, but I can get it in by tonight, certainly))

The Presidential Election of 1901

The National Conventions of 1901 were dominated by Harrison. The Federal primary was over in a flash, with Harrison gaining the nomination unopposed. As his Vice-Presidential hopeful, he chose Roderick Khur. The President was adamant that the Federal party’s deep wounds be healed in 1901, and bringing Khur in as Vice-President was the best way to do so. As a platform, Harrison adopted one that had a singular purpose; to get the Federal Party into the White House with tripartisan support.
The ripple effects of the platform, which seemed to appeal to members of all three parties, were immediate. In the Democratic primary, Jimmy Nightmore and George Walsh faced not only each other, but a group of Democrats led by Floyd Weaver, who believed that Harrison held not only the attention of the nation, but the legacy of Joe Hayden too. Walsh inched to victory, but was faced with a part of his party abandoning him to support the president.

floydweaver.jpg

1. Floyd Weaver, leader of the “Harrisonists”.​

In the ACP primary, Kade Roland Carter stepped up to the plate when it turned out that the party’s biggest hitters seemed unwilling to run against Harrison. Carter told his aide that his intention “was not to win, but keep the party from appearing submissive to the Great Trust Buster”. Carter’s situation was further complicated by the return of the Khur-Federals to their party after Harrison’s picking of Khur as his running mate. The election of 1901 thus seemed to be over before it began, but as Carter said in his acceptance speech; “it is unwise to assume that the president is a sure winner. Turnarounds are always possible”.

Candidates/Tickets of 1901
Election Manifesto of the Federal Party

Presidential Candidate: James Harrison
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Roderick Khur​

“Fellow Americans, we have too long been divided by petty party lines. I have spent much of my life in service to this country, on the battlefield and in high offices. One thing has become clear; when we are united in our dreams and hopes, we are always at our strongest. Vote Harrison-Khur today and you will see a united America, reaching out and achieving the American Dream”.
- James Harrison, President of the United States

The American Dream Ticket

Economy

- Strengthening of anti-trust legislation by ensuring that it is watertight and neutral.
- Minimal expansion of government regulation outside anti-trust.
- Government intervention only when absolutely necessary.
- Continued support of free trade.

Public Services

- Increasing the efficiency of public healthcare and education, by cutting down on bureaucracy and allowing state authorities to act slightly more like private operations.
- Creation, through subsidies and grants, of State Volunteer Services in the remaining 21 states without one.
- Creation of a Department of Volunteers to oversee the various SVSs.
- Reorganization and expansion of the FBI.

Foreign Affairs

- Mediation of European situation through the Commonwealth.
- Support of democracy abroad.
- Promotion of free trade through the Commonwealth.
- Reinforcement of American hegemony in the Western Hemisphere.

Military

- Expansion of the United States Navy.
- Expansion of the United States Army.
- Creation of a United States Air Force.

Immigration and Citizens’ Rights

- Unrestricted immigration.
- Creation of an Immigrant Aid Program to help arrivals assimilate.
- Streamlining of Naturalization process.
- Constitutional Amendment to make Women’s Voting Rights official, removing the “Permission Clause” of the 1847 Women’s Voting Act.

Election Manifesto of the Democratic Party

Presidential Candidate: George Walsh
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Jimmy Nightmore​

A Fair Deal

I have already made campaign speeches about this, and I do not wish to bore you anymore. But I must tell you there is no doubt our current system is unfair, and greediness is rewarded, not compassion. That is the main thing I wish to change about our country, a country that might be the greatest country in the world, but still get people to fall into poverty when there is no work for them, and denies the poor what the rich has. So we need to make public healthcare as good as private, we need to raise pensions so retired men and women can live without taking their children’s wages, we need to raise the minimum wage so men and women can spend more on their children. But most importantly of all, we need to create more jobs.

If you elect me as your president, you will have a government that does not tolerate unemployment. If there are not enough jobs, we will open new factories. If businesses are on the brink, we will give them money until new jobs are available for its workers. If no new businesses are being started up, then we will open new factories. You can call it a war on capitalism; you can call it a violation of the free market. But answer me this, if we have a free market, will there always be enough jobs to go around? Will there ever be enough jobs to go around? No. And if capitalists cannot create enough jobs, the state must.

I am sick and tired of the ACP saying America is the greatest country in the world and we shouldn’t change anything about it. America might be the greatest country in the world, but it is not as great as it could be. I won’t rest until it is. I won’t rest until there is an opportunity of everyone to be rich. And I don’t mean be rich instead of everyone else; I mean that everyone can be rich.

If I had to put a nickel on who will be president on January 21st, I wouldn’t waste a second before putting it on James Harrison. And lots of people will say “What’s the point in running then?”, well because I want to make America a better place. And I’ll run for president again and again, because I want to achieve that goal. And if I make the slightest contribution to this great country of ours, then I will die a good man. But I will never stop trying to make another contribution.

Election manifesto of the American Conservative Party

Presidential Candidate: Kade Roland Carter
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Joseph P. Jarvis​

I want to thank the American people for giving me the opportunity to lead this great nation, and I can promise you that, over the course of these next four years, if I am elected as president, I will return America to prosperity! Growth and progress stems not from the halls of Congress or from the desk of the president; it comes from the spirit of the People, the drive and ambition of countless Americans, striving to better themselves! As president, I will remove the blocks on their progress, taxes and regulation, and promote their innovation through limited, smart government, sound money, and a peaceful foreign policy.

I applaud President Harrison for his actions these past few years; not only has he worked to promote free markets, and ensure all people have a chance to compete, he has fought the gross expansion of governmental power that I fear would have occurred under previous administrations. However, his use of these ‘militias,’ combined with the precedence of his modestly expanded powers, is my chief complaint of his economic policies. I will move the powers accumulated by the presidents of administrations past back to their proper place, the Congress and the states. Furthermore, I will oppose any tax and tariff increase, and will continue to streamline the government to better facilitate growth and economic prosperity, not for the wealthiest among us, not for the poor, but for ALL AMERICANS!

Under a Carter administration, I will assert our rights in this Commonwealth, a noble, but heavily flawed system. I will ensure that the president serves America, and her interests, rather than the interests of the Queen or the Cuban President. Not only that, I will reject any war pushed upon us, unless the Congress sees good reason to involve ourselves in such a conflict. Instead, I will push for more peace talks, more discourse, amongst the European nations, to promote harmony, prosperity, liberty, and free trade amongst all nations!

Our military will be maintained; our army and navy will not receive any reductions in size or supplementing of power! Rather, I will streamline and reform our military, to ensure the American people are safe, and the burden of our armed forces is not a burden on our budget
The matters of religion and immigration are an especially pertinent matter to most Americans; we are all the children of immigrants, of men and women who fled from tyranny, who fled poverty, who wanted something better! The Puritans left for religious freedom, and I will have that; freedom of religion for all Americans! My administration will promote immigration, not careless free entry, nor barring those who have lived in oppression and despotism all their life. America is the bastion of freedom, and we must welcome the downtrodden, the beaten down, and the abandoned!

America, now is your time to choose! Shall we stay the course of progressivism, or will we mark our return to the ideals of our Founders?

-------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Voting time!

Last edited: