• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

marat271

Major
51 Badges
Feb 28, 2012
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Starvoid
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Dungeonland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
Today the game was released exactly 3 months ago. And it's already 75% off on Steam today. I know it's a game which caters to a very niche market, but did it sell that badly?

well all i can say, is as a first day buyer and heavy supporter, i am mortified that you have the daring to knock this game down by 75% in the first 3 months it is out! yesh, maybey you want to get some sales, maybey it didnt fare too well, but 75%, cmon man. its like £3.75 now. thats nothing, i paid nearly £15 for this game, and that (for me) is alot. i litteraly have a list that consists of about 6 games to get this year and next, and naval war :Arctic circle was on taht list. im dissapointed and betrayed. at least you have givven us a map editor, but if you are daring todo thi s sort of tactic, please, give us somthing back like DLC, extra missions for free. im hurt, and hurt badley. hell i havnt even gotton round to even playing it i have been so busy since i brought it. for all i care i simply could have not brought it and waited for it to go on sale. wouldnt have effectide me atal as i havnt had time to play it

please take this into consideration, and dont read it as an angry post. im not angry, just really really dissaponted and let down

This kind of thing happens all the time, no reason to be shocked, upset, etc. Its not Paradox's fault or even their choice I suspect. Some (all?) retailers can sell a product for what they want (and this deal is only good for 1 day). If you buy/play games even casually, you know that they all eventually come down in price. You (and I) chose to be a first day buyer/player. We could have waited 3 months, 6 months knowing it probably would be cheaper.

Last edited:
Well at release it topped the Steam chart for a time, so it can't have done that badly. And this is hardly the first time its been on sale since then. I myself bought it release day on Steam and got a free copy of Commander: Conquest of the Americas (a more expensive game), and it was on sale at 50% off on Steam during Paradox Week back in June. And, according to SteamGameSales, it's been on sale on Impulse at least twice (back in April, and again now).

Today the game was released exactly 3 months ago. And it's already 75% off on Steam today. I know it's a game which caters to a very niche market, but did it sell that badly?

Something to remember for digital Distribution a 75% sale like this on steam isnt like clearing stock like retail, but the larger discounts can increase renenue during the sale and after the sale compared to before the sale. IIRC CK2 was on a 75% sale not long after it was released

This kind of thing happens all the time, no reason to be shocked, upset, etc. Its not Paradox's fault or even their choice I suspect. Some (all?) retailers can sell a product for what they want (and this deal is only good for 1 day).

That is true for retailers that sell physical copies of games, but I believe publishers have full control of prices and discounts for digital distributors like Steam.

So, is the game worth $5?

i litteraly have a list that consists of about 6 games to get this year and next, and naval war :Arctic circle was on taht list. im dissapointed and betrayed

Don't buy any of them at full price. Don't be tempted by the pre-release offers. All of them will be at a discount within a few months.

For me personally if I think a game I'm interested in is too expensive for its worth I won't be buying at release and will wait until sale. NWAC was priced reasonably in my book. I don't regret buying it.

If I wanted to save I would wait for a few months, if I bought it I didn't want to regret it meaning if I bought it I was happy with the price then.

Too bad none of my real life friends would love NWAC otherwise I would buy a copy gift for a friend with this sale.
Not much point buying or gifting a game which the recipent couldn't really appreciate.

Don't buy any of them at full price. Don't be tempted by the pre-release offers. All of them will be at a discount within a few months.

wise words. but i felt that naval wars was a product that deserved the price. maybey is hould always get a demo first.

well, at least the good points is even if they are only getting 25% of the origonal cost, £3.75 isnt very much atal for a game, and i can imagine alot of people (like i used to be) just buying it because its a bargain.

oh and out of that list of 6 games i was going to get this year and next, only one i know i will get day one. the rest can wait till they are on sale.

I'm going to put my hand up and honestly say I was waiting for this game to go on sale, however I didn't realise it'd be this cheap so quickly. I did buy it for the £3.74, and can honestly say its worth more than that in my books, even though the genre isn't one I usually delve into. As a bonus its almost certainly going to be the first game that I even bother with the steam workshop. It feels like a game of Defcon without nukes, with the added bonus of having visual models of all the units and missiles.

There are a few things I don't like about it, but the gameplay makes up for it. I hear DLC is coming and can say I'm looking forward to it and may buy first day if reasonable price for the content.

wise words. but i felt that naval wars was a product that deserved the price. maybey is hould always get a demo first.

well, at least the good points is even if they are only getting 25% of the origonal cost, £3.75 isnt very much atal for a game, and i can imagine alot of people (like i used to be) just buying it because its a bargain.

oh and out of that list of 6 games i was going to get this year and next, only one i know i will get day one. the rest can wait till they are on sale.

That's fair enough. I bought CK2 full price because I'd been waiting for it for years (actually at 25% amazon pre-order). I just don't have enough cash to buy full price games and I couldn't justify naval wars. On CK2 I've had over 400 hours of gameplay since release and so I think I've got value for money, but I wasn't sure that I would enjoy naval wars enough to shell out £15 for it. At £3.75 there isn't really any question. I've been selling some records on ebay and I used my paypal balance to buy the game, so in effect I exchanged my copy of Lee Perry's Kung Fu Meets The Dragon LP for this game.