• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
its not balanced! certain empires ALWAYS dominate the map nearly every single time. I dont call that balanced when the same damn thing happens every time.

If it was balanced to perfection then there would be no rage thread....

I havent seen anyone but you rage actually here :-D And i tell you a secret: There were some rather dominant Kingdoms in the middle ages. If you hate that its your right, and you should think about making or finding a Mod that doesnt have those blobs. But this game is modelled a little after the middle ages and there were some rather dominant reigns...and a counts life wasnt easy and rise to fame the exception not the rule.

it shouldnt mean an auto dec of war, it didnt mean one when you refused to raise troops in ck1
But if i am your overlord and you dont send me troops i think i DO want to teach you sucker :-D You are basically saying there shoudl be an easy way to get out of your liege duties..why? Basically i just think your only point is: make the game easier so i can brag how good i am, i suck at the moment.

its not balanced! certain empires ALWAYS dominate the map nearly every single time. I dont call that balanced when the same damn thing happens every time.

If it was balanced to perfection then there would be no rage thread....

If the player can (relatively) easily hold large blobs, then the AI needs to be able to do it too, or else the game becomes far too easy for the player. Therefore, if you want the AI to have a hard time blobbing, you need to make it difficult for the player to blob. But then, there will be an equal number of other players complaining that it is impossible to hold together their empires.

So where is the point of being perfectly balanced? Because right now, the only way that I see to make it harder to blob is to increase internal strife, but there is already lots of threads complaining that there is far too many rebellions.

theres plenty of people who are complaining about how the blobs are overpowered, hre was not as centralized as it is at the moment which is basically a kingdom not a decentralized empire. Ere got smashed by muslims but everytime they are so overpowered they smash everything in their way. The game is unbalanced. Of course there were dominant kingdoms but last time I checked they werent able to conquer absolutely everything on the map or close to it

I can agree on the fact that HRE is too centralized i can also agree its expanding a little too much in some games, but i cant agree the blobs should be nerfed big time, especially the Muslims seem very OK to me. The good thing about a blob in CK II is , is a blob isnt game over to all the littel counties, theres always interesting scenarios happeinign no matter the size of the blob. Of course you still can have your game ended by one sometimes, but thats the game it would be boring if you couldnt loose. Yeah i would like to play the count of Arborea for example, but they always get run over by the Muslims in the initial start, well thats the game setup and i can live with it as long as it means the game is balanced overall. TBH as much as i really dont like blobs in general myself i think it would be far worse if they would collapse all the time. Blobs in EU III for example were horrible because they were made to create a artificial challenge to powergamers in the endgame, so they spoiled a lot of games where you just wanted to play a minor nations rather realistically without going to space. As i said in CK II blobs are alright because they still can provide interesting scenarios under their hood.

there are lots of people complaining about rebellions, and peasant rebellions need to be relegated to an event. Ducal rebellions are annoying as well but honestly lets make it a little harder to hold blobs together, OR pump up the intrigue side of it and by that i mean some more plots and make the ai more susceptible to matrilinear marriages maybe. But mainly plots

the hre was the biggest issue for me really, I was kinda disappointed in how they portrayed it. If we dont nerf blobs, well we should make the hre less powerful overall and let the ere have lots of plots which might make it simulate its internal strife that was a constant problem for them. So maybe dont nerf blobs, but rework the hre a little bit! And give the byzantines more plots so they fight each other lots. Muslims in Spain start out with a hideous advantage in tech which allows them to stomp the christians in iberia. Consequently France blobs and then gets entangled in stopping them from expanding and kicks them out usually.

Crusades might as well not be there bc the caliphate blobs just like hre and no matter how many times you assassinate the caliph a great leader instantly takes his place bc they have open agnatic. So that needs to be dealt with as well

I think our sample size is rather small, i have seen HRE blob a lot, but also fail , the only thing i dont like too is how it automatically reforms out of the blue after a huge rebellion stronger than ever. I also never could complain about the amount of plots going on when i rule a blob to be honest. :-D What i think would help the HRE would be to let it not reform that easily afte rhuge rebellions and make it harder to raise Crown Authority. But then i always wait desperately for it to rise to get to Primogeniture ;-).
ERE was nerfed anyway in newest patch cant comment on it because of the little i played since then. And Muslims as i said are alright they provide a good challenge for Iberia, sometimes march into France , sometimes get whiped out of Iberia...very good...considering Crusades i think the Muslims shoudl be very strong and hard to beat in the Holy Land, iw oudl even say they could be stronger there, but Cruseades just have to be reworked, Crusades never work in any Crusader Kings game. They shoudl really be huge joint ventures of chistian nations uniting their forces in a special game section. Only with this massive joint force it should be able to land in the Holy Land and establish a hold there, so i wouldnt say muslims need to be nerfed, i say: Give us a proper Crusading part of the gaem, joint troops, major powers in it and maybe pope in some cases determine leadership over troops, lots of special events etc. Make it epic.

theres plenty of people who are complaining about how the blobs are overpowered, hre was not as centralized as it is at the moment which is basically a kingdom not a decentralized empire. Ere got smashed by muslims but everytime they are so overpowered they smash everything in their way. The game is unbalanced. Of course there were dominant kingdoms but last time I checked they werent able to conquer absolutely everything on the map or close to it

In my game ERE is holding onto most of their core area by a thread, they just now pushed the Golden Horde back a bit and the recently gained Christian Lands in the Middle East are starting to be devoured by Muslim states as the HRE and France are constantly fighting over who should be king. I think my game right now is going perfectly, nerfing the Muslims would make the game far too easy. I like the challenge they present now though with my nearly United British Isles and Holy Orders I was able to stomp them out of Iberia more or less. However before I arrived there was a constant shifting of power with central Iberia going back and forth between Christian and Muslim and that is how it should be.

I've read through the entire thread gman and you are simply upset that the game is not going your way. If anything the Muslim states are underpowered a tad and the majority agree with this sentiment. If you are really so upset with the game then mod it to suit your desires. Paradox games are always designed to be fairly easily modable for this very reason. Don't try to act like you have some amazing insight on the games mechanics and demanding it is changed for everybody just because you have an opinion on how it should be. The game is actually impressively balanced in my opinion and I would prefer if that wasn't shattered because someone got upset on the forums.

I think we are actually in agreement on most things, look im sorry duke for being a rager like that. I love this game so much and I get very passionate about it. I do exactly the same stuff when I rule a blob. Im interested to see what the new patch brings ill try ck2 plus.

I cant say how much i agree with your proposal for a proper crusading system especially with more holy orders and some JOINT crusades and major powers and all that. Flesh it out some more!

I think our sample size is rather small, i have seen HRE blob a lot, but also fail , the only thing i dont like too is how it automatically reforms out of the blue after a huge rebellion stronger than ever. I also never could complain about the amount of plots going on when i rule a blob to be honest. :-D What i think would help the HRE would be to let it not reform that easily afte rhuge rebellions and make it harder to raise Crown Authority. But then i always wait desperately for it to rise to get to Primogeniture ;-).
ERE was nerfed anyway in newest patch cant comment on it because of the little i played since then. And Muslims as i said are alright they provide a good challenge for Iberia, sometimes march into France , sometimes get whiped out of Iberia...very good...considering Crusades i think the Muslims shoudl be very strong and hard to beat in the Holy Land, iw oudl even say they could be stronger there, but Cruseades just have to be reworked, Crusades never work in any Crusader Kings game. They shoudl really be huge joint ventures of chistian nations uniting their forces in a special game section. Only with this massive joint force it should be able to land in the Holy Land and establish a hold there, so i wouldnt say muslims need to be nerfed, i say: Give us a proper Crusading part of the gaem, joint troops, major powers in it and maybe pope in some cases determine leadership over troops, lots of special events etc. Make it epic.

Precisely. Crusades need to be a separate game mechanic from simply various countries trotting armies across the entire map piecemeal, then getting clowned within 2 years even if they are successful. The first Crusade sent over 60,000 east! Emperor Alexius was horrified when they arrived at Constantinople, knowing that an army that size could very well threaten the city. This would simply never be reflected in game terms; everyone "crusades" on their own, and there is precious little cooperation. The Pope is far more likely to call a crusade against Sardinia than he is Jerusalem or Antioch. This game is called "Crusader Kings", not "Lords of Western Europe" it is just disappointing that the design team didn't focus more on making the crusades a viable and worthwhile endeavor.

Precisely. Crusades need to be a separate game mechanic from simply various countries trotting armies across the entire map piecemeal, then getting clowned within 2 years even if they are successful. The first Crusade sent over 60,000 east! Emperor Alexius was horrified when they arrived at Constantinople, knowing that an army that size could very well threaten the city. This would simply never be reflected in game terms; everyone "crusades" on their own, and there is precious little cooperation. The Pope is far more likely to call a crusade against Sardinia than he is Jerusalem or Antioch. This game is called "Crusader Kings", not "Lords of Western Europe" it is just disappointing that the design team didn't focus more on making the crusades a viable and worthwhile endeavor.

+1

+2

I agree wholeheartedly there needs to be a fun new mechanic introduced for crusades, more cooperation and a way to fend off muslim counterattacks at least a little bit. Make it fun to fight them, not impossible

What this really started as was two things, I didnt like the Crusading mechanic because of the caliphate blob. its unstoppable.

1. I want to have a more fun crusading mechanic. Lets say take it from impossible to very improbable that the crusade succeeds and the land stays in european hands.
2.lets work on empires they're far too centralized and powerful.

I sort of agree with this, but on the other hand there was a lot of internal strife, bad coordination and miscommunication involved in (especially the least successful) crusades.

Even in my very first game, playing in Iberia, I was able to conquer the entire thing without that much effort. In fact I've felt more like the game was easy, not that I had trouble fighting muslims nor blobs. Heck, even the HRE coming to Iberia to defend their lands they took off muslims early on when I'm trying to unify the entire place is quite easy, simply using strategy, choke points and mercs.

Heck, you can conquer anything as long as you keep money on hand, even as a count. Shows that some of us would prefer the game difficulty scaled up and others scaled down *shrug*.

Weren't crusades a huge organizational mess anyway? Every king/prince/lord went on their own without thinking about anyone else, and if they got lucky and they were in the right place at the right moment, they won. Personally, I don't want Crusades to become a system where Christians win easily, this was not the case.