• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What does it mean launching the game will propagate the patch. Isn't it patched via steam automatically regardless of you launching the game?

Because when the patch very first was available, it hadn't auto-updated nor posted the notes yet, but you could get it to do so by starting the program. Didn't realize it was a complex and difficult concept to understand. (P.S. I posted before it automated, but you could still get it.)

Also note, that if it hasn't auto-updated for you yet, starting the game while Steam is active through Steam will also patch it and you don't have to wait for the auto-update.

Last edited:
Of course it had autoupdated at once and again re autoupdated for the "c" latest hotfix.
AFAIK it always does, it doesn't require the player to launch the executable. :)

Its true that a number of full patches/updates haven't broken savegames, but in a post here quoting the devs, it was clearly stated that the changes to the battle engine would break savegames. So on this occasion we have to start from scratch. There goes my 150 turn game again!

I hear you. I'm not sure why there is continued expectation in the industry that save games survive major patches. Rarely do pdox game survive them. In fact, most strategy games I play break the save with a patch. The only exception I've known is War in the Pacific:AE. MP games take 3-5 years to complete, so updating save games was part of the initial development effort as the MP community is significant.

Other than that, broken save games are the industry standard.

Of course it had autoupdated at once and again re autoupdated for the "c" latest hotfix.
AFAIK it always does, it doesn't require the player to launch the executable. :)

Not true, the auto-update feature wasn't active at the time of the post, but you COULD get it to update at time of my post if you start the game. Check here for farther proof if somehow you find my statement unbelievable: link

Also depending on which "Server" is updating for you on Steam, you may or may not get the auto-update at the same time as everyone else, but often just starting the game when update is available will trigger it. However if you WAIT long enough, you're right the auto-update will EVENTUALLY do it for you.

I didn't say I didn't believe you Shadow, I just thought the Steam frame was superimposing on the architecture below (the games) and it would decide when to autoupdate according to its traffic status and not by launching the game as a general way of how steam works, not related to Sots2. I didn't mean to say you lied or said something wrong... it just never worked the way you claimed before, at least not that I knew of.

Funny that. I would have thought that we could at least *play* a game now. Seems not. I'll pop it back into hibernation for a few more months.

You CAN play a game to finish now. In fact its been possible for several months. The AI hasn't been a real challenge, but for most users there are no show stopping bugs out side of multiplayer.

Btw, my posting was in referencing to someone complaining they couldn't continue a save game after a patch that added features into a game thats not complete yet.
Remember, if they have to spend a day or 2 to make sure compatibility doesn't break, that's days of delay to actually having a fully working game, Priorities mate.

FYI completion is expected in the next 1 to 2 patch cycles, Check in early June, they should be to polish by that point.

Last edited:
Well I couldnt. Built a civ station. CTD. Reloaded the save game, built a naval station instead - was ok. Tarkas popped into a system, went to combat CTD. Reloaded, CTD again. Started new game. Was ok to turn 60 went into combat with LIIR all was well. Pressed space a few times CTD. Reloaded "pre combat" save all was well if I left it in sensor mode. Whilst it probably works for the majority I simply dont have the time to waste on this yet. Especially with the save game "killing" after major updates. I'm not ranting or complaining merely stating a personal opinion. I have faith and I know I will like this game but not yet.

Nope. I'll wait a few months, I have an unfinished hiver game on SOTS1 where I need to sort out a particularly nasty human infestation.

Not a grave dig more like a revist.

I reinstalled and gave my beloved hivers another go. And you know what? It works. Short of a few GUI tweaks this game is really getting somewhere. No CTD at all so far. Good show!