• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No, it is just down our list of things to do. The team that did AHD is busy on the new HoI3 expansion, but our dedicated Beta team are still busy, gathering up issues for a 2.4 patch. We should return to Vic2 after the HoI3 expansion is out.
Great news. Maybe then I'll finally pick up AHD...

No, it is just down our list of things to do. The team that did AHD is busy on the new HoI3 expansion, but our dedicated Beta team are still busy, gathering up issues for a 2.4 patch. We should return to Vic2 after the HoI3 expansion is out.
yes, could u give us a hint if there would be anything new in the new patch. and if u wher in charge of decideing what to do in a new expansion what would you do.

Regional markets this time around then? I know it is you pet feature:D Or has it been deemed unfeasible? Not that will get an answer on that question now. Transport costs would be cool, making railroad bonuses and naval bases more organic, seeing the growth of the globalized economy as technology advances but I guess that it would be calculation hell considering all the flows in the game. One can hope that some clever programmer found some nifty work around. Though a great war expansion with an overhauled combat system would be really nice as well.

Last edited:
yes, could u give us a hint if there would be anything new in the new patch. and if u wher in charge of decideing what to do in a new expansion what would you do.

Patching all depends on what we feel are the most pressing problems with the game when we decide to go into doing one. If were entirely upto me on what went into an expansion I am not really sure. I would probably like to sit down with the game for a bit and play just to see what felt to me as the weakest part of the game play. Victoria 2 is a fun game in that regard because of the scope it covers in game play terms, there is a lot of things that could be worked on.

i know what i would what in a expansion either a earlyier starting point like where EU3 ends or a colonial expansion cos i think you should colonize for exaple muralve and not the entire region you know what i mean. also what else would be cool is a map editor, and naval combat needs to be fixed and it would be cool if you could send ultimateums and the option to stop countries from buying certain goods from you lik iron.

Regional markets this time around then? I know it is you pet feature:D Or has it been deemed unfeasible? Not that will get an answer on that question now. Transport costs would be cool, making railroad bonuses and naval bases more organic, seeing the growth of the globalized economy as technology advances but I guess that it would be calculation hell considering all the flows in the game. One can hope that some clever programmer found some nifty work around. Though a great war expansion with an overhauled combat system would be really nice as well.

Regional markets make programmers cry, so I am not convinced it would be worth trying to even fight that battle.:) One of the reasons to split up China is that allowed the GPs to have seperate regionaly based Spheres without having to go and dig around in the World Market code. The Victoria 2 world market code is remarkably complex under the hood and they are loath to touch it.

Thanks King for your feedback! It's great to hear about your dedication to Victoria 2 after Italy has lost the Euro 2012 final! :)

Anyways, I'm sure you'll work for the best!!!

I'm glad we have a Dev in the conversation already. 5 or so pages of speculation would have been too many.
Now that we know another expansion is likely for Vicky2, we ought to start wildly speculating on what it is going to be.
I predict better Great-War mechanics, allowing for Fewer but bloodier World Wars. We might even get a WW1 Startdate.
Likely not, but a dude can dream.

Now that we know another expansion is likely for Vicky2, we ought to start wildly speculating on what it is going to be.

I should just clarify here, I do not decide future Victoria 2 development. What I do know is that things like Expansions are not ruled out and Victoria 2 (unlike say Victoria) is a live IP.

I would have to say Vicky with the AHD expansion is a very good game. Love the options. But I would love to see an expansion focus on the great war or the Franco Prussian war.

What VIC2 needs is an expansion focusing on the military aspects of the game, those have always been the weakest point in an otherwise highly sophisticated whole. The battle system is only designed around 19th century style warfare, it cannot accurately simulate 20th century warfare like it should. I'd love to see a military-focused expansion allowing WW1 and Inter-War type warfare (i.e. trenches, aircraft that can actually fly like in HOI, submarines which use stealth, etc). And maybe a WW1 starting scenario, like in VIC1:REV.

Victoria2 deserves to be onthe radar yet :)

It's a great game, and I only hope sales make possible to continue developing it. Economy is something we could dig more in (not regional markets as King has stated, but perhaps introducing a new kind of goods, representing services and making of them something for artisans, being only national -not world market- available... could give a new vision to economics. Financial features would be great also.

In other areas, of course politics is the great thing to develop, and I'd be happy with a little more of details into technology.

But if there's a focus of the expansion, it won't be IMHO First World War or Crimea... it would be colonialism. A revamped system, taking some inspiration on Pride of Nations would make of that expansion a no-brainer.

Anyway I'm getting whatever you develop. I'm an absolute Vicky fan. So I'm happy of likeliness of a new expansion for Vicky2 :D

Victoria2 deserves to be onthe radar yet :)

It's a great game, and I only hope sales make possible to continue developing it. Economy is something we could dig more in (not regional markets as King has stated, but perhaps introducing a new kind of goods, representing services and making of them something for artisans, being only national -not world market- available... could give a new vision to economics. Financial features would be great also.

In other areas, of course politics is the great thing to develop, and I'd be happy with a little more of details into technology.

But if there's a focus of the expansion, it won't be IMHO First World War or Crimea... it would be colonialism. A revamped system, taking some inspiration on Pride of Nations would make of that expansion a no-brainer.

Anyway I'm getting whatever you develop. I'm an absolute Vicky fan. So I'm happy of likeliness of a new expansion for Vicky2 :D
Signing every single word

I have to say I'm also quite glad to hear Vic2 is still on Paradox's radar. I found CK2 diverting for a short while, but I've since been drawn back to modding Vic2 again simply because I enjoy the game so much.

I tend to resist adding my voice to the string of "what I'd like to see in the future" posts, as from a developer's perspective it must end up sounding like the fans wanting everything and anything-- and a pony-- but for my two cents:

* Expanded diplomacy. In particular, it would be nice to see the AI using the same diplomacy options to which the player has access-- in particular, the ability to call in allies after the war has started and providing funding for allies. It would also be great to see different levels of alliance, like a "guarantee of independence" (meaning "I'll help you if you're invaded, but I won't help you attack someone") or a more iron-clad factional alliance where the countries are obligated to go to war and cannot choose to drop out (especially useful when dealing with fickle AI allies).

* As mentioned above, a reworked military system. In particular, the warscore system needs some work-- how many times has someone complained that large countries such as the UK and Russia are almost impossible to gain warscore against without going to absurd lengths. You can occupy all of Siberia or India and gain very little warscore... or gain a lot just by defeating a few armies, regardless of those armies percentage of their overall force. CK2 made some excellent innovations in this regard. In addition, more intelligent AI use of seaborne invasion and assistance of allies would be ideal.

* Splitting up national cores into cores (a culture's homeland) and claims (land a country has recognized claims to, but which is not considered integral).

* Reworking the rebel system, both in terms of how pops become part of rebels and what they're fighting for. Right now it's too common for a liberal, educated pop to decide what his democratic country really needs is an absolute dictatorship. Nationalism-- an important part of the era-- should also be punched up. It would be excellent to see different levels of disorder and/or guerrilla warfare, and rebels being harder to deal with than mole-whacking rebel armies that rise up.

* Changing the vassal system. Sub-states were added, which are nice, but they're just vassals that foreign countries can take chunks out of... and vassals themselves are still rather useless. It would be great to see things like tributary states (they grant a portion of their income to their owner, like with reparations) and the AI actually being able to deal with a vassal on their border (they don't tend to use "Release Puppet", for instance).

* Insofar as new scenarios, I'm not a big fan of those-- and I imagine they're also incredibly hard for the developers to set up and support due to all the changes needed to pops and military units and countless other changes such as tech and literacy levels. If one was to be done, a WW1 scenario would be nice... but only if some of the above things like factional alliances and warscore changes were also done. It would be disheartening to start WW1 and have the UK peace out after two months or have the AI sending sea invasions against colonies rather than actually fighting on the continent.

Not a big list, right? ;)

Whatever Paradox gets up to, they'll have my support. Thanks for a great game.

nice ideas rylock, but as far as diplomacy is concerened i think we need a ultimateum thing that we can send to a country like give me my core or its war or give me military acces or im gonna invade sort of thing.
i also think they need to rework the rebel system like maybe throe in a civil war/ war of independece thing in.

It's good to hear there is still impetus for further development of Vic2 within Paradox! I'm a bit disappointed about the infeasibility of regional markets, though having made some non-linear simulation models of my own I sympathize with the programmers who had to develop such a complex one in the first place, and I suppose I'd freak out too if someone asked me to redesign it. Though it comes short when presented with events such as the Opium War (a situation I dealt with in this comic), it's still a very impressive self-consistent model!

I'm glad we have a Dev in the conversation already. 5 or so pages of speculation would have been too many.
I predict better Great-War mechanics, allowing for Fewer but bloodier World Wars. We might even get a WW1 Startdate.
Likely not, but a dude can dream.

Id rather they push the game back to the Napoleonic Wars than focus on WWI- V2 suffers from similar issues as V1 as you get towards the modern era and the game just doesn't quite do the time frame justice in terms of combat. But the Napoleonic Wars I think would be well modeled by V2, and it would let you guide nations into the industrial revolution rather than just through it. I'm sure trying to get the Americas into place would be a nightmare though, and would likely require a completely reworked revolt system like Rylock was talking about.