• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MagisterMundi

On the look-out for Grues...
113 Badges
Apr 1, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • War of the Vikings
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
I mean, all things considered, it's a pretty minor game, Rome, and its reviews don't even come close to being as favorable as, say, EU3 (especially with the expansions). Out of curiosity, why was the decision made to make EU: Rome and EU: Rome only (plus expansion) available on Steam?

Not that I dislike Rome - on the contrary, I think it's a good game. Maybe not my favorite, but good. It just doesn't seem to make much sense to only release Rome...

Or maybe I'm crazy, and EU3 is there, but I couldn't find it in the Steam store.

I'd think they just want to introduce people to Paradox games. Give them a taste, but let them come back to Gamersgate for the full meal.

Rome looks really cute. It's the cutest Paradox game so far. And it didn't sell well. They figured, let's drop some advertisement and screenshots of our not selling well but cute game to STEAM which is more and more popular every day and see if it will boost sales.

Worst case scenario they will sell enough copies to pay for five days of writing of that fancy manual we've got yesterday. Best case they will get a couple thousand new people into Paradox games...

Newest game gets priority. Also, the official drop in price for Rome+expansion has been the fastest I have ever seen. Paradox is really trying to offload "inventory".

Actually Rome sold pretty damn well.
Pics or it didn't happen. Where's your new car (or other equivalent bling)? ;)

So people do bought it (and I'm glad that happened). They just don't play it for some reason.

Rome's forum is the smallest one of all. Rome AARs section is the smallest too. Daily posts here are only a few (comparable to CK or Vicky forums which are ancient games nowadays) and there's no Rome wiki on Paradoxian...

I know IN kicks ass, I played it for a couple weeks recently and I can tell that for sure. Maybe it stole everybody to EU3 forums? Maybe they will come back after they realize that VV has better AI than IN? :)

(btw, I second Alexander)

WOOT WOOT!!!! I knew it! Rome is my favourite PI game :cool:
Now you HAVE to give us an Alexander expansion:p

Agreed I want to charge down to India and make the Map even more Blue than before and I'm going to make sure Alexander lives so I can smash those nasty Romans before they even existed:D.

Besides if Rome does well at Steam I assume more games will appear, Rome is most likely just testing the water for everything else and if it is a success everything else will be put there to bring in new players.

They have something called "EU: Rome Gold Edition" which is Rome + VV packed together for 22.50 euro (they say it's discount from 24.99 euro).

GamersGate still sells for 24.99 euro but in this case all cash goes to Paradox which is I think better from fan's perspective. Instead of feeding Steam, all the cash you spend goes right to game makers...

With VV I place Rome in the upper echelon of Paradox games (but they're all great to me, except CK, which I never felt "connected to"), and it's probably the easiest to learn. Best graphics. Newest. Those are some reasons I'd imagine.

Rome has a small forum because it is the newest game. Give it a chance to catch up (and give Paradox time to work out the bugs and tweak the gameplay).

But Paradox all moved on to HoI3 leaving only one guy behind (Johan's words from the thread on manual) who is patching things up (I don't know who that might be but Balor is the only guy besides Johan who appears on this forums so it probably is him).

And one person means that it's only patching, not coding a new add-on.

I remember this forums when vanilla was about to come, it was a real mess here with dozens of people coming and leaving asking "when" and so on. IN ruined it and stole everybody! :)

Now it's silent like Vicky's forums or CK's...

But Paradox all moved on to HoI3 leaving only one guy behind (Johan's words from the thread on manual) who is patching things up (I don't know who that might be but Balor is the only guy besides Johan who appears on this forums so it probably is him).

And one person means that it's only patching, not coding a new add-on.

I remember this forums when vanilla was about to come, it was a real mess here with dozens of people coming and leaving asking "when" and so on. IN ruined it and stole everybody! :)

Now it's silent like Vicky's forums or CK's...
Balor = Johan's home account.

Agreed I want to charge down to India and make the Map even more Blue than before and I'm going to make sure Alexander lives so I can smash those nasty Romans before they even existed:D.

Besides if Rome does well at Steam I assume more games will appear, Rome is most likely just testing the water for everything else and if it is a success everything else will be put there to bring in new players.

so true those Romans are so nasty:D, they just conquer and blob everything in site. I've never played with them, i think I will only venture into republics with Carthage.

Okay. So who's the last Rome's dev? King?

Hm. Interesting responses, all. Still... I sort of thought that EU3 + IN would be the first offered on Steam. Simply because when I talk to gamers who aren't major PI fans, most of them seem to know about EU3 - and I have yet to hear of someone who knew about Rome.

But hey, I'm actually pretty happy to see some Steam releases of any sort from PI. Most of my games are Steam distros - it'd be nice in the future to be able to just load them up wherever I am.