• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(84806)

Lt. General
2 Badges
Sep 30, 2007
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
Download link for 1.1 here. Extract the files in the FtG-root. You can now choose different colourscales from the settings menu ingame. Thanks to the dev team for making the colourscales easier to use! The files for 1.0 is still available, see below.

---

Emperor_krk and I decided to convert the Bold and Sinister colourscales from EU2 to the new FtG format. Since the colourscales had both good and not so good colours, we decided to mix the best of both colourscales. The result is SB colourscales (Sinister and Bold). All colours are more or less identical to the original files, but some have been made slightly lighter. I've also customized a colour for Denmark, Switzerland etc from scratch.

We couldn't decide on some specific colours, so there will be two versions of this colourscale. Examples from political map view below.

Emperor_krk's version (SBE):
2d2eqgy.png

Olav's version (SBO). I've added some new colours from 1.0: New brown for Bohemia, Norway etc., new yellow for Lithuania etc, new gray for Morocco, Papal States etc and some changes to Russia's and Burgundy's colour.
30w1oco.png

Note that other map modes are affected by the colourscales - terrain, CoTs, cultures, religion, RR and relation AFAIK. See Emperor_krk's AAR for examples.

1.0 files: SBE and SBO.

Thanks to Royken69 for making the wonderful Sinister- and Bold colourscales! Thanks to martmol for hosting our files!

Last edited:
A quick tutorial for colourscales

If you want to make your own colours for Eu2/FtG, there's some basics that are nice to know. You'll find the colourscales in the DB/Map/colorscales-folder.

Here's an entry in the political colourscale:
Code:
Blue = { 	  	    		        Row 1
	color = { 50 100 250   0 }		Row 2
	color = { 25  50 175  10 }		Row 3
	color = { 20  40  70  40 }		Row 4
	color = {  0    0  0  60 } #Sweden	Row 5

Row 1 is the ID for the colour. Row 2 to 4 defines the colour in the province. To be more precise row 2 is used in the center of the province, row 3 in the middle and row 4 near the border. Row 5 defines the colour used for text (and maybe some lines next to borders and rivers).

For each row there are 4 values. The 3 first are the RGB (red, green, blue) values. As you might know a value of (255 255 255) is white and (0 0 0) is black. In the example above you see that the text-colour is completely black. You can also see that the blue values are larger than the other in row 2-4. This means that the colour will be bluish. :) By adjusting the red and green values you can change how dark/intense the blue-colour will be.

The last value in each row is the index. The index can be a number between 0 and 64 (maybe more, haven't checked). I'm not 100% sure how this works though. Anyway, it tells you how much area each colour will cover. For the colour above you see that row 3 will have most weight (30), while row 1 will have the least. Since the first colour is usually the lightest, this colour won't have so much glow in the center of provinces. It is possible to set the same index value in two (or more?) rows; see below:

Code:
DarkBlue = { 
	color = { 0 180 255 0 }
	color = { 0 130 240 0 }
	color = { 0 20 120 43 }
	color = { 0 10 40 64 } #Scotland

I'm not sure, but I think the second colour will cancel out the first colour.

Comparing the two examples (see the second screenshot in post #1 - compare Sweden and Scotland), you see that Blue is darker than DarkBlue. In both cases row 2 has the most weight - this colour is most visually "important". You can see that DarkBlue has higher values than Blue in row 2. Blue is also darker near the borders (row 3).

I think this cover the basics, but you might want to know where to start if you want to create a new colour. The easiest thing would be to use an existing colour as base (example below). Or you could start from scratch. Use MS Paint to find acceptable RGB values; double-click on one of the colours in the colourbar and click on "Define colour". There you will see RGB values for the colours you choose.

When I created the colour for Denmark, I used England's Red colour as base:

Code:
Red = {
	color = { 255 0 0 0 }
	color = { 190 0 0 20 }
	color = { 130 0 0 40 }
	color = { 20 20 20 60 }

This colour is completely red, it is very intense. For Denmark I wanted a colour with more glow than England, and also darker near the borders (similar to the green used by Eire and Mamluks). The approach was to make the first row somewhat brighter (add green and/or blue) and make it have more weight so the light colour would get more focus. The two other colours were then made slightly darker. The result:

Code:
LightRed = {
	color = { 255 60 40 0 } 
	color = { 100 30 30 35 } 
	color = { 55 20 20 50 } 
	color = { 20 20 20 60 } #Denmark

It might sound easy, but it requires a lot of testing. Good luck to anyone who wants to make their own colours! If you see some mistakes in this tutorial or find out something interesting, please tell me!

Last edited:
why dont u put it somewhere we can access it?

edit: original sinister & bold in ftg format would be nice plz
See this post by Olav:
Here's my version of SB. Extract in Db\Map\Colorscales folder. Overwrites all files, so be sure to create a backup if you want to revert changes.

Emperor_krk: I haven't got your colourscales! Please upload them as a zip!
For some reason I still can't get the hang of using martmol's site :/. I can't upload my colourscales there either.

HERE's the package with "my" colourscale.

are you linking to the beta forum?

i can't access either link - neither can 2 friends on msn...
Damn. Yes. I cannot upload attachments on this public forum.

HERE you can download Olav's files. I couldn't upload mine to that site for some reason, but I will surely tell here once that's sorted out.

EDIT: emu'd :p
Could you try to upload my version to martmol's site? It tells me that there's something wrong and I cannot do that.

EDIT: emu'd :p
Could you try to upload my version to martmol's site? It tells me that there's something wrong and I cannot do that.

:p

Yeah, I can try. I have to register first though (or is it possible to do it without registering?)

works, thx

plz upload the originals too :):)

It turns out that the originals are included in the zip. :)

:p

Yeah, I can try. I have to register first though (or is it possible to do it without registering?)

nein;) you need to send me a pm and ill make you a special acount so you can upload... :D

Is there a limit to how many colors you can have in the game? And is there any other special editing required to make custom colors, like "Beige," etc?

I like them both, but the first one seems really dark. Like perpetual night. :/

I would like the second one more if it had less shared colours. Naples and Hungary look almost identical, to name one.

Thanks for the comment. It's strange, but on my computer the colors aren't that dark. But when I checked it on another computer, it was very dark (sometimes difficult to see). However given that I play on my computer I don't think I will change it. But if Emperor_krk's version works fine, there shouldn't be a problem. :)

I've done some changes to the colourscales in the mean time though; I'll upload it when the patch arrives.

Edit: Ehh, I must have misread. The second one seems brighter because FoW is off. The one at the top is actually slightly lighter. Also when I saved the screenshot I used a lighter colour for water, because the contrast gets better with the political mapmode. But IMO this colour doesn't look good in terrain mapmode - too many bright colours.

Regarding the shared colours : if it is going to be changed, countries.txt must be updated. As you say, Naples' and Hungary's colours look almost identical because they are identical. ;) I could of course make a updated version of countries.txt, we will see. It is easy to edit it yourself, of course. As for Emperor_krk's pic, he has used AGCEEP and there the setup is better than in vanilla.

Last edited:
Since the new patch handles colourscales in a different way, a new version has been made. See the first post for details and download link. I've also added some new colours to my version. I'll try to take some screenshots and upload them later.