• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chronicler

Field Marshal
19 Badges
Sep 16, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
It just makes sense doesn't it >_>

I would like gold to be the most valuable trade good, how this is done I don't care.

Perhaps they could:

Increase value of gold rush from 400 ducats to perhaps 1000-2500
Increase production value of gold? Perhaps make it so that gold is effected by production eff etc?

Just make gold somehow worth more than the most valuable colonial goods.

Goooooold!

EDIT: Let's get some competition in mp games for those gold provs!

I agree gold should be more valuable, but some countries need rebalancing if this were to be changed, Austria being the main culprit there. Assuming that was done, it would be nice to see imo.

If it´s going to be better, I also think the problem gold carried should be made worse, as it was IRL. Gold was the most seeked "good", because it made instantly rich to people and goverments, something everybody wants, but, in the long run, and if not well managed and the respective countries hadn´t a good economic context behind, gold was a source of big problems (inflation). This is only partially reflected in the game (countries in which a given percentage of their revenues comes from gold get inflation, IIRC), but it should be a problem for ALL countries, especially if they are at war. Countries had to rely heavely on gold or credits for buying war material and paying troops. All this created inflation, but this is not well modelled in the game because a player can easily make his country work with no or few inflation (even if at war) after several decades (especially if the player takes National Bank, an idea I always thought should only be available at a high level of Production tech)

In reply to Chronicler, yes gold is pretty, but you can't eat it, and it won't keep you warm and dry in winter. I think the goods are fine as they are.

You also can't eat Iron and its production value is 2-4times that of Gold by 1700 and it actually has a trade value.
You can't eat iron, but you can make tools for your workers, ploughshares for your farmers, wheel rims for your wagons, and weapons and armour for your soldiers from it.

Gold's only uses in the period covered by EU3 are as decoration and as money.

In reply to Chronicler, yes gold is pretty, but you can't eat it, and it won't keep you warm and dry in winter. I think the goods are fine as they are.

But you can use it to buy food, buy blankets, or pay people with it to build you a house ... or 5, or pay mercenaries/soldiers with it to just take food and blankets from weaker nations.

Back on topic:
When i discover gold in one of my colonies i find it to be a mediocre find. There are many good that are just plain better to have in your provinces in 1550+. And that when the colonisation of the americas got rolling, actually in search for gold.
--> The game doesnt depict that historical event properly, as gold just isnt a "Wow! Yeeeehaw! I found gold in my colony!"-Moment.

You can eat gold, it just wouldn't be very healthy. Also if you heat the gold bars up, they will totally keep you warm.

When i discover gold in one of my colonies i find it to be a mediocre find. There are many good that are just plain better to have in your provinces in 1550+. And that when the colonisation of the americas got rolling, actually in search for gold.
--> The game doesnt depict that historical event properly, as gold just isnt a "Wow! Yeeeehaw! I found gold in my colony!"-Moment.
If you want that, you have to also have the equally historical "Crap! All this colonial gold I've been pumping into my economy has made everything more expensive!" effect. The glut of gold and silver from the Americas gave the Spanish serious economic problems.

If it´s going to be better, I also think the problem gold carried should be made worse, as it was IRL. Gold was the most seeked "good", because it made instantly rich to people and goverments, something everybody wants, but, in the long run, and if not well managed and the respective countries hadn´t a good economic context behind, gold was a source of big problems (inflation). This is only partially reflected in the game (countries in which a given percentage of their revenues comes from gold get inflation, IIRC), but it should be a problem for ALL countries, especially if they are at war. Countries had to rely heavely on gold or credits for buying war material and paying troops. All this created inflation, but this is not well modelled in the game because a player can easily make his country work with no or few inflation (even if at war) after several decades (especially if the player takes National Bank, an idea I always thought should only be available at a high level of Production tech)

This a thousand times. Gold devastated the Spanish economy, thanks to bullionist thinking, and had adverse effects on some of the largest economies of Europe. A combination of high inflation and low wages, as well as high prices for necessities was not a recipe for success.

Gold is not a commodity in the sense that cotton is. It is a monetary commodity. The price of gold shouldn't change but the other prices change in relation to gold and their supply demand relationship. The game tries to do some of this but it is a simple relationship.

The reason they can't really put this into play is that ducats are a standard currency and not individual currencies for each country. Iff there were only dollars (or francs, marks whatever) gold prices could be fixed. Then the other commodity prices would fluctuate based on inflation and their supply demand requirements in relation to the base price of that commodity to gold.

The gold rush is an event that simulates finding of more gold. All through history gold had a stable price and all other items (local currency, commodities fluctuated). So the game while simplistic handles gold and the universal currency pretty well.

i think gold income could increase with production efficiency to reflect improvements in mining and transportation technology. or, perhaps, there could be a national decision when a country has a certain number of gold-producing provinces......

What about the province losing its gold and maybe reverting to iron or something else? After all gold mines ran dry and I doubt if any lasted 400+ years that the game does. So if you want additional benefits you should have a risk that they disappear.