• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i had read it a while back already, and read it again a few weeks ago, and just read it and i cant stop laughing! probably the worst ship ever made

The Captain and probably the XO would have absolutely been relieved of command on the spot after the anchor incident on a normal mission. They probably would have been relived of command after the mission was over even if none of the other stuff had happened. The rest of the crew would have seen no repercussions except extra...extra hard training from the next Captain and XO.

The Captain and probably the XO would have absolutely been relieved of command on the spot after the anchor incident on a normal mission. They probably would have been relived of command after the mission was over even if none of the other stuff had happened. The rest of the crew would have seen no repercussions except extra...extra hard training from the next Captain and XO.
Strangley, the captain continued to command the vessel until they were already stationed in the Aleutians.

Strangley, the captain continued to command the vessel until they were already stationed in the Aleutians.

After the Porter was ordered to leave the FDR convoy it arrived in Bermuda, where the entire crew was arrested (a USN first and last lolz) and the captain and some officers were placed on shore leave. I think it was the end of his career.

Hilarious, but one question for WWII USN buffs - how long would the original crew have remained serving on that ship through its ill fated war?

My past wife's grandfather served on the same destroyer for 3 years. So not really sure how much the crews were rotated on ships during this time. I have a feeling it was not as much as today.

No it wasn't the end of the Captains' career his only 'punishment' was as with the entire ship's crew, except for the torpedoman with hard labour, shore duty in Bermuda!

According to Wikipedia, quote:
"Commander Charles M. Keyes (USNA '32) relieved Lieutenant Commander Walter as commanding officer of the William D. Porter on 30 May 1944."

No it wasn't the end of the Captains' career his only 'punishment' was as with the entire ship's crew, except for the torpedoman with hard labour, shore duty in Bermuda!

"Torpedoman Lawton Dawson, whose failure to remove the torpedo's primer had enabled it to fire at Iowa, was sentenced to hard labor, though President Roosevelt intervened in his case, as the incident had been an accident."

Wikipedia