• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The surprising hotspot was the South Sandwich Islands with a staggering 450k population. I have no idea why so many people wanted to live near Antarctica.
Surprise indeed. Wikipedia tells that South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands had about 30 inhabitants in 2006.
Perhaps 450k is the king penguin count :D (120k just in this pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colony_of_aptenodytes_patagonicus.jpg)

Pretty nice view over rusty whaling station in Grytviken (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/1989_Grytvikken_hg.jpg)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Georgia_and_the_South_Sandwich_Islands

Last edited:
I used gimp to dress up the regular map screenshot. It's a great way to kill a couple hours while your girlfriend is watching the various TV talent shows of the week.

People on these forums have girlfriends? People who play V2 have girlfriends? Wow...

I used gimp to dress up the regular map screenshot. It's a great way to kill a couple hours while your girlfriend is watching the various TV talent shows of the week.

Do China and Austria really have exact same population? I don't really think so :D

Also, really stunning map. You definitely inspired me to do one myself.

Do China and Austria really have exact same population? I don't really think so :D

Also, really stunning map. You definitely inspired me to do one myself.

Ha! No, Austria has a much more reasonable population. Never copy/paste without editing afterwards! Thanks for the compliment though. I get bored of seeing the same old map screenshots so I like to jazz them up a bit. I was a little lazy on this one though... I think a few of my euIII ones I posted in the empire thread in that forum are much better.

edit: I don't remember Austria's population off hand. South Africa was just over 50 million though.

@Magitsu: The islands do look quite pretty. I still don't see 450k fisherman deciding it's the place to be though. Although the island has a warmer average climate than the place I was born, so maybe it's not too far fetched.

Last edited:

A recent game that went really well. I was playing as South Africa, and did well enough. I would definitely say it's an easy country to play. The map shows some of the territory gains by Russia and Germany during the latest great wars, of which I fought in both and didn't pick the winning side in either. The largest cities in the world are marked, save a couple in India... because they were all densely populated. The surprising hotspot was the South Sandwich Islands with a staggering 450k population. I have no idea why so many people wanted to live near Antarctica. I pasted the countries flags around the map, relating to the government they ended up with. Spot all the government overthrows!

A couple of things to note: China modernized fairly early and was a dominant force most of the game. Great Britain never budged from first spot. There are no un-modernized countries remaining in the game. Japan and Korea are my closest opponents in points. We've been trading the last great power spot back and forth for years. Ethiopia is my satellite, but no matter how much help I give them, they're constantly falling apart.

The games more or less over now, so I figured it was a good spot to post an empire. If South Africa manages to conquer the world in the next 15 years, I'll post an update.

Unbelievably sweet map

My Russian Empire in 1865.

v2_1-1.jpg

I have about ~1,000,000 men on the border with Germany and Austria-Hungary (It's a democracy now so it changed to the Danubian Federation). I also have another 600,000 men ready to mobilize. I was thinking of declaring war on all the nations in Europe and see how far I can get. A sort of a reverse Napoleon. Think it's possible? How far do you think I'll get?

RedRalphWiggum said:
Unbelievably sweet map

KingFred said:
Yes...please tell us how you did this!

Thank you very much!

As gav1230 already pointed out, it was done in gimp. Just some touching up of the default map screenshot.

Thank you very much!

As gav1230 already pointed out, it was done in gimp. Just some touching up of the default map screenshot.

You just make me giggle. You know, for someone, who really as familiar with map-maping as you are I think it's a bit more daunting than 30minutes "touching up" :rofl:

Thank you very much!

Yes, I was just wondering what your process was in GIMP. Also trying to remember which key takes a map shot in-game...

btw what are the areas outlined in red supposed to represent?

The red outlined areas are the pieces that swapped hands during the two most major great wars (and a couple little proxy wars that occurred post and prior).

I lost territory to Germany in the first one, as did my ally France. A few years later I swapped teams and was allied with Germany. Another war broke out with the primary belligerents being Russia and France taking on Germany, South Africa, and the Ottoman Empire. They more or less mopped the floor with us. The Ottomans were about as strong as wet paper towel, Germany was more concerned about fighting in Africa and tossed their army away crossing the Sahara repeatedly, It didn't help they were barely holding together after two attempted communist revolutions. I held off France for quite a while and pushed their military power more or less out of German Africa and tried to help the Ottomans out... right up until the Russian horde came in and roflstomped me back to Cape Town.

There was a smaller war between China and Russia prior to this that saw China loosing a huge chunk of land to Russia as well. Russia was extremely hostile for the last few years of the game, going way over the infamy limit... which is something I've never really seen playing on normal difficulty.

KingFred said:
Yes, I was just wondering what your process was in GIMP. Also trying to remember which key takes a map shot in-game...

F12 for the map screen shot (control-f12 for just your territory I think?)

I don't really know how to explain the process though (add text, curve with a path, use colour layers and blending, etc, etc), without just writing a tutorial or something, which really wouldn't be the point of this thread. Maybe if I get excitable I can post a tutorial in the blog posts or something.

I really do appreciate the positive comments though. It definitely inspires me to try and make some better ones with the Columbia game I'm playing now!

tFYuC.png

My 2nd game ever! Played as Two Sicilies > Italy. Getting Lombardia from Austria was easy. Sphering the italian minors sucked but redshirts occupied Parma and I got Italy the easy way. I was getting ready to conquer Sardinia-Peidmont who was the only holdout. :(

The real crown jewel of Italy was Africa. Me, the Spanish and the Dutch were the only ones that expanded into Africa and I definitely got the biggest slice of the cake.

ABuik.png

34J7m.png

The pops and resources in Sokoto and Ethiopia allowed me to boost my military and I was able to build the biggest navy in the world. I even managed to totally blockade the British Isles at one point.

1R4Zth.jpg

IkkPXh.jpg

af137.jpg

Sidenote- Whats the best way to beat out the UK once it reaches OMFGWTF blob status you guys have found?

Ottomans 1899, USA is broken at 11th place, and I've lost interest in this game.

16gfv9l.jpg

Puppeted CSA, Sphered CSA, Mexico and Cuba. Germany (not German Empire, but full Germany) took a smidge off Colombia (USA's sphereling, and Germany was my ally). Spain won the Congo, but revolutionized, and dat Rubber was my next conquest.

To celebrate Canada Day today, here is a map of a game I'm playing right now as Columbia, showing a completely dismembered Canada!

Date is 1901. Columbia was probably one of the more boring starts I've played. You only have a few thousand people and very low literacy. It took a lot of work to manipulate my American allies to do all the fighting taking on Russia and the UK for me. I hit Great Power status briefly, but I just don't have the army growth to keep up with the big boys. Currently a great war is waging in Europe between a Russian/Austrian alliance and North German/Great Britain alliance. Looks like a lot of borders will be shifting, so I'll probably post up a world map once the game is done.

Fun things to notice in this map... Iceland became independent after Denmark collapsed. Though they still own Greenland, it's been occupied by communist rebels for over 10 years now. Gran Colombia formed and ate up Colombia and Venezuela. Russia and Mexico took offence and divvied up some territory between them after smacking Gran Colombia down. I don't know when and how Panama became indpendent. The US controls the canal.

Up north, the CSA was initially very successful in the Civil War, but they fizzled off in a second war with the US, and eventually collapsed to rebels.... Facists are everywhere in this game... The CSA doesn't stay on the map much past this date.

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed how insanely aggressive Russia is in AHD? Every game I play they're constantly annexing pieces of China and Germany.

My 2nd game ever! Played as Two Sicilies & Italy.

Nice job for your second playthrough! Italy can be a pain depending on how strong Austria is and how much France hates you.