• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Who was it who gave us our freedom? God, not the government!

No, it was not God. It was the men who fought and died, fifty thousand of them, fighting the British Empire for freedom. You call yourself a true american, and yet you forget the contribution of those who made this country through their courage and sacrifice? God is the Guide and He shall help us as best he can on the road of righteousness, but it is still our deeds, not his. What would be the point of life otherwise? I know for one that if I thought everything I did had been predestined by anyone, I would not bother with life.

And as for 'blindness of the Republican Party,' Mr. Howard, what would an alliance with the Germans entail; tehy answer to us, and we do nothing in return? That is shortsighted; an alliance with Germany will lead to American troops supporting the Konig's wars, Bismarck's ambitions, and German imperialism. Sir, to deny that is a dishonour to the nature of an alliance, abandoning our allies with only supplies, but no men to use them.

Oh, and I thank you for your support Senator Brooks!

Senator Henry J. Jarvis of California, Champion of the Constitution and Republican Vice-Presidential Candidate

Yeah, you really need to see an optician. Germany does not want to ally with us. That is their choice.

No, it was not God. It was the men who fought and died, fifty thousand of them, fighting the British Empire for freedom. You call yourself a true american, and yet you forget the contribution of those who made this country through their courage and sacrifice? God is the Guide and He shall help us as best he can on the road of righteousness, but it is still our deeds, not his. What would be the point of life otherwise? I know for one that if I thought everything I did had been predestined by anyone, I would not bother with life.

But would they have been able to do it without God's help? Would farmers with pitchforks have been able to defeat the greatest army in the world without God's intervention? I say nay. I recognize the men who have shed their blood and given their lives for this country as some of the truest patriots we have, but regardless, our nation would not exist today without God's aid. Besides, a man may die to protect your natural rights, but he does not give them to you. God does.

So the Germans take advantage our attempt at imperialism, by taking supplies from us, and we don't even gain an ally? I did not want to even interfere in Germany, and I'm the blind one; you have advocated German intervention, while Bismarck sits back, mocking us for trying to be one of the 'big boys' in Europe. As I said before, the Prussians used us to get supplies and support, and now they have tossed us aside. I do very much like how advocated aid and supplies to Prussia, as well as call for an Prussian-American Alliance, but now don't seem to care one way or the other, sir.

Senator Henry J. Jarvis of California, Champion of the Constitution and Republican Vice-Presidential Candidate

But would they have been able to do it without God's help? Would farmers with pitchforks have been able to defeat the greatest army in the world without God's intervention? I say nay. I recognize the men who have shed their blood and given their lives for this country as some of the truest patriots we have, but regardless, our nation would not exist today without God's aid. Besides, a man may die to protect your natural rights, but he does not give them to you. God does.

General Mandrake did not save the Union. General Mandrake did not smash Confederate forces in the field like a modern-day Caesar. General Mandrake did his modest duty for his country and then thought he could serve further. Senator Jarvis and his beliefs should not be on trial here. I made the decision to include him as my running mate because he is an irreproachable patriot of the Millsian kind, and as a show of my commitment to work with all parties and opponents towards better governance. What I see from the other parties is divisive politics. And divisive politics is not what Americans want for another four years.

General Mandrake

The New Democrats have been united behind a single ideology ever since the few short-sighted left the party. We have no inner qualms, with only slight differences in certain policies. We do not hold divisive politics, which is why America has elected me for the past 8 years.

So you have had no alternate opinions in your party? I fear that the strongmen in your party will be able to exploit the sheepishness and willingness to comply with the party leadership, Mr. Jamous. ((very much a group think kinda deal going on there))

Thank you, General. You see, ladies and gentlemen, what makes the Republican Party strong is its vast ideological 'tent,' if you will. There are the doves, the hawks, the capitalists, the soldiers, and countless other groups, brought together by a singular purpose; to make America better. The National Vinogradists have pushed out the other factions of the Libertarian Party, and the New Democrats, as their leaders themselves claim, are of a single ideology. A party that has no other opinion other than the ruling party's becomes a dangerous force, unwieldy and authoritarian.

So you have had no alternate opinions in your party? I fear that the strongmen in your party will be able to exploit the sheepishness and willingness to comply with the party leadership, Mr. Jamous. ((very much a group think kinda deal going on there))

Thank you, General. You see, ladies and gentlemen, what makes the Republican Party strong is its vast ideological 'tent,' if you will. There are the doves, the hawks, the capitalists, the soldiers, and countless other groups, brought together by a singular purpose; to make America better. The National Vinogradists have pushed out the other factions of the Libertarian Party, and the New Democrats, as their leaders themselves claim, are of a single ideology. A party that has no other opinion other than the ruling party's becomes a dangerous force, unwieldy and authoritarian.

What are you talking about sir? Parties are supposed to have members that have similar ideals. Thats why they were created. How could your party work if elected? If your party contains opposites how will anything get done? Surly your party will spend more time arguing, instead of working.

And why is it so wrong that the members of our party have similar views? Our party knows what it stands for. We know what direction we will go every election. Your party doesn't know what direction it's going in.

What I'm referring to is that if a party becomes so... uniform, that it becomes detrimental. My party has differences, but we have enough similar ideas that we function well enough. The General and I disagree about education, but we agree with lower taxes, tariffs, and foreign policy. But because of our differences, we would never get on, as you say. That is not the case, it forces us to compromise, to refine our arguments. A uniform party, though runs the risk of simply stating a policy and having everyone back it, with no critical thought, no basis for that policy. Simply because a party leader called for it, and your party prizes solidarity, it runs the risk of bad policies, and weak primaries, allowing less competent leaders to rise to power in those structures.

We have similar views in the Republican Party, but we have different ideals, different world-views. We all seem to support less government, but only in differing degrees. Perhaps I made an erred when I spoke about the dangers of 'groupthink,' but I believe that a party must have some differing of opinion to make that party strong, to allow inner debate, and to promote the best policies.

That you believe that internal conflict is inherently bad is a flaw on your part sir, because, as I've said earlier, it forces one to refine their argument, to compromise, to better craft policy.

You are wrong, Mr. Howard. Things will get done, because I am the one making the decisions. Just like in war, I may listen to the concerns of my staff officers, but in the end, I make the decisions and I do not hesitate. Congress may sit and prattle and put off decisions, but I will not do so, sir.

You are wrong, Mr. Howard. Things will get done, because I am the one making the decisions. Just like in war, I may listen to the concerns of my staff officers, but in the end, I make the decisions and I do not hesitate. Congress may sit and prattle and put off decisions, but I will not do so, sir.

So you have had no alternate opinions in your party? I fear that the strongmen in your party will be able to exploit the sheepishness and willingness to comply with the party leadership, Mr. Jamous.

A party that has no other opinion other than the ruling party's becomes a dangerous force, unwieldy and authoritarian.

You have just proven my point, while also contradicting each other. I love it when you both do that. Makes debates easier, so thanks.

You have just proven my point, while also contradicting each other. I love it when you both do that. Makes debates easier, so thanks.

I personally find it amusing to see the Republicans fight internally. Though it pains me to see such differences in a former great party.

I agree, it is only a matter of time before the Republican Party forms factions within themselves, unless they can agree on a base platform that they all, or at least, most can agree with.

We are not contradicting each other, I'm sorry to say to you sir. Things will get done, but because their is debate, not conflict, we will form better policies. Congress will unite on most policies, if we are given a majority, if it members support the legislation; if not, we will work to make the policies more inclusive. However, a Congress controlled by your party will only rubber stamp the proposals of a New Democratic President.

As for being a former great party, what makes you say that? That we have had an energized primary, which awakened our base, and you mistook as fighting, not debate, seems to say little to your own party, which simply approved of Howard with no opposition even considered.

However, I should rephrase the statement that began this; a majority that supports the ebbing away of our rights is detrimental. A majority, or uniformity, of those devoted to liberty is grand; though I have yet to see the New Democratic Party govern by the Constitution, and I pray I never see the National Vinogradists rise to power. I merely said that, perhaps not clearly, that uniformity can be a threat to liberty, as the minority views are generally hushed and discarded. My Party celebrates those voices, and gives them a place in its leadership.

Our Party has stood together for a decade, and is older than both the New Democratic and Libertarian Parties. We respect our differences, and generally do hold some similarities; though we don't show uniformity to the party line.

Senator Henry J. Jarvis, Champion of the Constitution and Republican Vice-Presidential Candidate

We are not contradicting each other, I'm sorry to say to you sir. Things will get done, but because their is debate, not conflict, we will form better policies. Congress will unite on most policies, if we are given a majority, if it members support the legislation; if not, we will work to make the policies more inclusive. However, a Congress controlled by your party will only rubber stamp the proposals of a New Democratic President.

As for being a former great party, what makes you say that? That we have had an energized primary, which awakened our base, and you mistook as fighting, not debate, seems to say little to your own party, which simply approved of Howard with no opposition even considered.

However, I should rephrase the statement that began this; a majority that supports the ebbing away of our rights is detrimental. A majority, or uniformity, of those devoted to liberty is grand; though I have yet to see the New Democratic Party govern by the Constitution, and I pray I never see the National Vinogradists rise to power. I merely said that, perhaps not clearly, that uniformity can be a threat to liberty, as the minority views are generally hushed and discarded. My Party celebrates those voices, and gives them a place in its leadership.

Our Party has stood together for a decade, and is older than both the New Democratic and Libertarian Parties. We respect our differences, and generally do hold some similarities; though we don't show uniformity to the party line.

Senator Henry J. Jarvis, Champion of the Constitution and Republican Vice-Presidential Candidate

I will personally pay for the whole republican party to go to an Optician. How are you not contradicting each other?

And the New Democrats have similar ideals but they are not identical. If a member of our party had a problem with any of my policies they would have said. Why wouldn't they?

Just so that you can see how you are contradicting each other- incase you read it wrong:

So you have had no alternate opinions in your party? I fear that the strongmen in your party will be able to exploit the sheepishness and willingness to comply with the party leadership, Mr. Jamous.

A party that has no other opinion other than the ruling party's becomes a dangerous force, unwieldy and authoritarian.

You say your party debates polices however your leaders statement shows he will ignore congress and is authoritarian.

I'm just waiting for both the Libertarians and now the republicans to implode.

Last edited:
Mr. Howard, you are drawing conclusions and making half-truth statements. The whole point of the executive branch is to make the decisions that cannot wait for the deliberation of Congress. I think the fact that I have reached out to other parties to cooperate is case in point that I am NOT authoritarian. I will consider all sides of a discussion, and I will try to reach a compromise with factions for the sake of better governance and what the People of the United States want. But make no mistake, I will make decisions and I will not dawdle. And like all Presidents, I will certainly make decisions that some people do not like. But to say that I am an authoritarian is just more of the same we've come to expect from the New Democrats during this whole campaign year.

There is no disagreement between Mr. Jarvis and me, and there was no contradiction between what he and I have said. There is merely your twisting of words, a grasping of straws, to try to attain some sort of advantage against a resurgent Republican Party.

General Mandrake

Mr. Howard, you are drawing conclusions and making half-truth statements. The whole point of the executive branch is to make the decisions that cannot wait for the deliberation of Congress. I think the fact that I have reached out to other parties to cooperate is case in point that I am NOT authoritarian. I will consider all sides of a discussion, and I will try to reach a compromise with factions for the sake of better governance and what the People of the United States want. But make no mistake, I will make decisions and I will not dawdle. And like all Presidents, I will certainly make decisions that some people do not like. But to say that I am an authoritarian is just more of the same we've come to expect from the New Democrats during this whole campaign year.

There is no disagreement between Mr. Jarvis and me, and there was no contradiction between what he and I have said. There is merely your twisting of words, a grasping of straws, to try to attain some sort of advantage against a resurgent Republican Party.

General Mandrake

Say what you like sir, but we have all seen the evidence. I shall let people make their own judgement.

Say what you like sir, but we have all seen the evidence. I shall let people make their own judgement.

One again, Mr. Howard, there is no evidence of anything other than the falsehoods that you try to feed to the American people. I refuse to run a negative campaign but I see that the New Democrats have no such scruples. That you can take my solemn pledge to work with other parties and turn that into something negative shows as much. But I will take the time to point out a contradiction of your own - that you can say that the Republican Party will spend time arguing and fighting over policy if elected, but that I, General Mandrake, the Republican candidate for President, am a tyrant in the waiting who will disregard the will of the people, Congress, and my own party, to do what I will. So in your own words, the Republicans will fight with each other and be indecisive, and yet at the same time, their Presidential Candidate will be too decisive and disregard opinion. Fortunately, the American People are not as foolish as you take them for, to believe such nonsense.

And once more, I see no discussion of whose platform is better. All I see, with my tragically poor eyesight you have mused about, is claptrap and nothing about the issues Americans care about.

General Mandrake

The Presidential Election of 1873

1873 was an unusually quiet year. Each party assembled for their National Conventions without much of a hassle, and debated the pressing questions of the day. In 1873, these were the position of public education, and the ever-present mainstay of the post-war years, isolationism and expansion.
The New Democrat Party, for the first time since its formation, could not nominate Michael Jamous. The president’s withdrawal from politics allowed other members of the party to finally come to the fore. Eventually, after an unprecedented amount of ballots for the party, former Vice-President Thomas Howard was nominated, and subsequently took Christian Priestson of Minnesota as his prospective VP.
The Libertarian Party pick came as no surprise, but the manner of Bryan’s nomination was unusual. This time around, no one dared challenge the man who had become the symbol of the party in America. Many worried that the Libertarians were slowly becoming a dictatorship, but few voiced those concerns.

mandrakec.jpg

1. General Maximilian Mandrake of the Republican Party.​

The Republican Primary was the most unusual of the three. The National Convention was surprised when General Maximilian Mandrake announced his candidacy. For the first time since Nicolas Khur’s campaign in 1845, a military man was up for the nomination of the big parties with a chance of victory. Mandrake took the party by storm, his position as a Civil War hero promising a return to the party’s glory days of the Williams administration. Mandrake was nominated with a landslide in the first ballot.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1873

Election Manifesto of the Republican Party
repticket73.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Maximilian Mandrake
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Henry Jarvis
Americans, what you choose this election day will make history that echoes through the future. What will that history mean to you? You can be assured that a vote for the Republican Party will mean a new era of abundance and prosperity for not just the fortunate few, but for all Americans! For too long political strife and inequality within our nation have threatened the grand Republic that we have worked for so long to create! The Republican Party pledges a bright future - a day that you can look to and say "This is our Golden Age!"

Social Reform, Immigration and Labor:
This nation owes its ascendance to honest, hard-working Americans, and the belief that all people have a chance to achieve their worth in our country. Let us work together to make that true now more than ever. We pledge that a national education system will be created that provides access to schools for ALL Americans, and a quality curriculum that will inspire and enable students to achieve the dreams all Americans share. Schools will be built in rural and urban areas, and students of all races and class will acquire knowledge in fields ranging from arithmetic to history, science, and English language. All people, from all nations, who seek a haven from tyranny, a home of peace, and a chance at prosperity will be welcomed to our shores, and they too will enjoy an education. Social and labor reforms that provide a guaranteed quality of life for the working class shall remain in place. The Republicans will work with all parties to ensure all Americans with grievances will have a voice, and that positive action can be taken; however violent demonstrations will not be tolerated and will be stopped with force if necessary. We will return to a level of civility that has not been seen since the early days of our Republic.
If accepted, Senators Tony Demchak and Sam Hensdale will chair the committee which will oversee the establishment of our new education system. This policy is important to all Americans and these Senators are the right men to see that it is properly instituted.

Foreign Policy:
Our nation now stands shoulder to shoulder with the most powerful nations in the world, but we stand apart by virtue of the freedom that our Republic stands for! We shall honor the wishes of our great President Washington by avoiding alliances that could jeopardize our hard-won peace. The Republican Party refuses to let American boys perish on foreign soil for the benefit of a monarch! A new era of diplomacy will be entered, of peace through strength and the shining example of our democracy. We shall increase trade and improve relations with countries that share in America's interests and values, but we shall do so without alliances. In the first year of our term, Vice President Henry Jarvis will travel to crucial regions like Europe and South and Central America to improve relations and defend American interests, and inspire our friends with the shining example of our fine Republic!

Military Policy:
Our military stands ready to lay down their lives for freedom and to protect our families and homes. We shall see that they do not go empty-handed for their honorable sacrifices! The Republicans will raise the military's pay by 15%, and all efforts shall be made into making our military forces the best trained, best equipped, most modern, and most professional forces in the world, which will be overseen by the attentive eye of Maximilian Mandrake. New weapons such as the Mandrake bolt-action rifle will be procured, and all soldiers will receive increased training on tactics, soldierly duties, and professionalism. Our nation has become whole once more, and the need for so many men under arms has thankfully passed. We shall reduce the Army by 15,000 soldiers so that these men may return to lives of peace. Lastly, we will increase the size of the United States Navy by 20%, to be invested in the most modern warships, to ensure that our shores and interests remain safe, and that no nation can threaten our prosperity.

Economy and Industry:

This nation was founded on business and free enterprise, and the belief that any man, no matter how poor, has a chance to come to America and be prosperous. Our planned national education system will be an investment - an investment that will build a new economy for the future, an economy that will enjoy the benefits of an educated and well-paid workforce and American Business spreading throughout the globe. The Republicans pledge that taxes shall not be raised, and the current tax codes shall be streamlined for efficient collection and use of tax revenue. Tariffs shall be reduced by 5% to ensure free trade that will benefit small and large businesses alike. Subsidies for struggling businesses will be limited to one year, which will afford time for companies to improve their finances and protect against unemployment, but to reduce the reliance on tax money as part of a company's bottom line. Subsidies will be extended to farmers during times of poor harvest to insure against loss of livelihood, and tax relief of 15% will be guaranteed to farmers who purchase mechanized tools and implements. The Republicans will also guarantee the construction of a transcontinental railroad within this 4 year term that will unite this nation East to West and North to South. This railroad will be financed by bonds, will employ several thousand workers, and will become the centerpiece of our new economy by allowing safer, cheaper, and faster travel of industrial goods, agricultural crops and livestock, and people across this country and opening up new markets for profit! Corruption at all levels of government and business will be combated, creating a level field for all people to achieve prosperity.

If accepted, Mr. Thomas Howard, an industrialist and businessman without parallel, will oversee the implementation of the new subsidy and tariff system, and will serve as an adviser to American businesses to enable them to expand operations across the globe.
Likewise, if accepted, Mr. Eamon Callahan will oversee the construction of our transcontinental railroad to provide jobs that guarantee fair pay, and that construction is finished on or ahead of schedule, with quality workmanship and at reasonable cost.

These gentlemen I have chosen to head programs are among the finest men in American society today, and I would be honored to have their aid if I am elected President. These men will report to me, and I will take their advice to heart, but it will be sole and solemn responsibility to make the decisions, in confidence, that will affect this nation for the next four years.

Election Manifesto of the New Democratic Party
ndticket73.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Thomas Howard
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Christian Priestson

What is better? Improvement or Change? What we put before you today is the answer. Our theory is different from the rest. It is not radical. It is not change. It is improvement! We do not propose the nationalization of Americas factories. We do not propose we give our children to the corporations. We don't propose the impossible. The New Democrats want to continue the rapid progress with moderate reforms. We want to stick to the successful, proven formula. We will show you why improvement is better!

Economic & Industrial:
America is a mixed economy and that's how it should stay. Our mixed economy helps increase national production as both public and private sectors work hard to bring about more production. The problems created by free enterprise and too much public control are solved through mixed economy. We can regulate the Economy (keeping it stable) while also providing freedom of enterprise ownership, profit earning as well as social welfare and political freedom. Plus, all the national recourses are utilized under mixed economy. Quality and service is kept high because of competition. By keeping our current system we get the best of both worlds. Why must we change?

As for industry subsidies. I plan to subsidize money losing factories for 2-3 years. The markets can wildly change in a short space of time. We can not condemn factories to death just because the Market takes a swing in direction that month. After the 2-3 year time period, factories shall only be closed if all the workers can find suitable employment else where.

All construction of Factories will be left to the capitalist. Corporation and Industrial tax shall all be reduced. Helping boost the economy, encourage investment and create new jobs. The results of these cuts will be felt in a few years.

Agriculture:
Agriculture tax shall be lowered in times of bad harvest, to lessen their burden. We will encourage the purchase of the new machines called "tractors". The tractors lower the farmers work load, increase production as well as increasing efficiency. Our Government will pay 35% of the total cost of a tractor. Our farms will produce more crops. Furthermore our farmers shall be better off. More land in the deserts of the west will be irrigated. By doing this we can open up more fertile ground, suitable for farming.

Military:
The American army shall stay at it's current levels. We need not waste money building our military, when we are well defended. Furthermore, we have no enemies. The navy will be expanded with the production of 1 new fleet, consisting of 10-20 new ships. Our navy should be operational anywhere in the world.

Workers reforms:

Every business in America will participate in a profit sharing program. 10-15% of a businesses net profit shall be divided among the employees. The minimum wage will be raised to a level which is both beneficial to every worker and a level which will still keep America competitive on the global markets. Moreover, Safety reforms shall be implemented.

Foreign:
We shall continue our relations with Germany. Our support will only ever be in the form of financial aid. I promise you, American troops won't ever set foot on European soil. We can't have our boys being killed now can we?

We will continue to influence the South American nations as well as Japan.

If you want to continue our marvelous improvements but abandon the radical change, then there is only one party you can vote for. Vote for Improvement, Not change. Vote New Democrat! Vote Howard/Priestson!

Election Manifesto of the Libertarian party
libticket73.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Christopher Bryan
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Adrian Edmonds

Social Reform:
The Continuing of Social Reforms started under Jamous, Priorities are to be given to Pensions so that those who have worked their whole lives can enjoy their twilight years without having to toil at their old age. Some sort of Minimum wage should also be implemented. All Peoples should also be free to practice their own religion without interference or discouragement.

Foreign Relations:
We should continue to actively support Prussia in her quest for German unification against France, lest France become hegemonic in Europe and achieve superpower status. Spain should continue to be pressured to hand over the confederate government, but aggressive actions should not be taken unless the Spanish commence hostilities themselves. We should seek to liberate Brazil from the French sphere of influence and expand our alliance across all of the Two Americas. If this is completed, we should seek out new markets in the far east.

Economic:
Capitalists should be allowed to continue to run the economy free of government control, this is what they're best at and their reason for existence. However, failing factories, particularly those that manufacture strategically important goods should be subsidized to ensure the continued employment of the workers. Government investment should be made in the railroad infrastructure but the prerogative is with the capitalists. A small measure of stock reform where enterprises employing 1000 or more workers are required to award 10% of their stock to their workers should be pursued. Industrial monopolies are counter to our policy of economic competition and will be broken up with an equitable division of stocks among investors and the workers' stocks should follow their new company. Cartels, or conspiracies by the leaders of more than one company in an industry engaging in such activities as price fixing and suppression of supply shall be legislated against. Trade should ideally not be hindered by government tariffs.

Military:
The Military, as a large scale employer should be funded with priority given to the navy. With our Growing international responsibilities to our American and European allies we need a powerful navy to be able to project power at significant distances. Land forces should either be expanded with a secondary priority or kept stable depending on budgetary constraints. The creation of viable Marine expeditionary divisions to project power in the South Pacific and Caribbean is also a priority.

Miscellaneous:
Immigration should be encouraged but not at the cost of maintaining a high level of literacy and education. As evidenced by the decrease in disorder in the southern states reconstruction should officially end and the Military occupation forces be withdrawn from the South. care should however be take to ensure the negro residents do not fall back into ignorance and Servitude. If the Confederate Government is repatriated I propose a special trial using 100-person jury with all cultures, peoples, and ethnicities within this great nation making up over 1% of the population represented. These people will be chosen randomly from the latest census data. Such a unique Jury will allow the American People to decide both guilt and appropriate punishment. The Judge will be the Most senior Supreme Court Judge, Mr. Bob.

-----------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

I miss ticket pics.

Vote.

Last edited: