• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Red or Dead

Here is an overview for Truecoppa :). Its going to get a lot harder to give these when our empire goes overseas, this is August 16, 1940.
wRNvt.jpg

157UK.png

Operation Conquistador:
Stage Dos
Spain is finished. Their little appendage of Portugal is next. A continental occupation of Portugal will not result in surrender. Therefore, it is decided to utterly crush the Portuguese army in Europe to free up units to dismantle their overseas empire. With the gloves off our army is unsure what to do, they have been rarely asked to actually surround and eliminate enemy units. A portion of our army in Spain relocates to Cadiz, the best port for attacking Africa.

quKo6.jpg

Mobile units run rampant through central Portugal searching for targets, that enemy division in the south will be first to be surrounded and destroyed.

This image can best represent the war in Portugal. Helpless isolated divisions being surrounded and annihilated by Soviet might. One by one we pick off the defenders units.
cg0Z2.jpg

Their capital falls
J8OxX.jpg

A naval assault captures the Azores.
Fdy89.png

We begin to hop down the coast of Africa toward the new Portuguese capital in what is today Angola.
k7eOi.png

We only start to see results after more men are added to our Africa force. Islands and ports start falling. We struggled at first to pull off amphibious attacks, we start building a couple of marine divisions.

DZ7Kf.png

caXOc.png

Even with these ports we cannot reach anything in the
Caribbean. Having never attack that area as anybody but Germany I never realized just how tricky that whole area can be for somebody who is attacking from Europe and does not want to go to war with the Allies. The British and French control all the outer islands, the inner ones are all too far away. Cuba will have to wait :( In fact the only port I can reach from my newly acquired bases is Rio de Janeiro, in the southern region of Brazil. As a corps of infantry lands in Portugal's last VP we must make a decision that will make this game get a whole lot weirder.

The Brazilian Crisis

October 16, 1940 the world holds its breath, America is guaranteeing the independence of Brazil. Russia who has an naval task force sitting off Brazil's coast, wants to Puppet them.
PBkAI.png

Moscow, October 18th: Joseph Stalin, speaking to the Soviet people and workers of the world,
Comrades, my Soviet people, these are the most crucial, most decisive days of not just our generation, but of our nation, our revolution and of humanity. Germany who now dominates Europe has been dedicated to our destruction from the day Hitler seized power. Japan as well, in concert with European Fascism controls Asia and threatens our borders. The Bourgeoisie nations, these so called Allies, Britain, France and their sniveling dependents grip the world with their oppressive imperialism and seek to contain our righteous cause. And finally the US holds the western hemisphere as their bastion of capitalistic exploitation. We wish to assist Brazilian revolutionaries in overthrowing their government, we wish to act in the name of the revolution and of Communism, America disagrees. Should we save our Communist brothers and the yearning people of Brazil America will attack us and our allies. Some traitors and cowards may be concerned about such a war but I do not fear it, I welcome it. As the leader of the Soviet people, and the unmatched military-industrial machine we have spent so much blood and tears to create I fear only one thing. It is not the Fascists in Europe or Japan, nor is it the Allies and their navies. Nor do I fear America and their vast country. No. The only thing I fear is lost opportunity. We stand ready to achieve our ultimate, transcendental goal. A global revolution, a world blanketed in Communism. This is our cause that will consume our every waking hour, it will consume our nation and all our allies, it will consume the rest of the globe. We will not tire, we will not rest until every worker is rescued, every class distinction erased, every country and empire smashed. We will not stop until every person and nation on Earth is either red or dead.

Here Comes the Fuzz:

On October 18th Russian battleships fires shells into Rio de Janerio's harbor, followed by nearly 40,000 Russian soldiers. The war for the Western Hemisphere begins.
zmqzQ.png

The US wastes no time in showing how much they disagree with our treatment of Brazilian sovereignty.
xJM0J.png

My god it is war. The game has changed. We chose to ignore the larger threat of America for the time being and continue with our original plan of dominating all of south and central America, attacking Germany (coming up soon), taking back China and destroying the Allies. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

Brazil is very big, very underdeveloped and very exposed to amphibious assault, we start loading up transport and sending them after those coastal VPs.
MAlUa.png

Our landing in the south.
dnW91.jpg

Rio fell pretty fast, we rush to expand the beachhead, our forces have also destroyed the last of Portuguese resistance in Africa, and are now slogging through the jungle to capture their capital.

Well this does bode well...
hoIQS.png

Our tenuous supply lines start getting harassed by the US navy, in response we string out what little navy assets we have across the Atlantic to try and keep the convoys safe.

On October 30th we inherit the Portuguese empire, they have bases all over the place, but thanks to our vicious convoy killing naval campaign and AI incompetence they will be unable to supply any of my forces based there. I kinda wished I conquered them.
ItAya.png

A landing in the north of Brazil secures another VP.
0dYcW.png

We snag some more with a landing in the center.
Dzc6U.png

Fighting Brazil is like fighting some kind of big stupid giant, just need to jump all over it stabbing it in vulnerable places until it dies.

Our forces slowly push the Brazilians out of San Paulo
GJKp3.png

After weeks of jungle marches most of Brazil's VPs are captured, their army is still disorganized and only putting up resistance in a few places.

Brazil surrenders on November 22, most of the war was fought with the geography of Brazil not its soldiers.
PHTRg.png

Well that was easy, one down, nine to go.

You're probably planning on dealing with that before it becomes an issue, but I should note that Italy is going to DOW you over Greece and pull the germans and japanese along...

So have fun with that!

I was wishing more wacky commentary from stalin. The us is going to be a though nut to crack, i would reccomend attacking texas if assaulting the mainland, as thats where most of their rares and oil are. When is cuba going to be exporting sugar to the su and not the us?

Nice AAR. I like it though I don't see the point of taking so many countries and puppeting them. As of my knowledge this way you don't gain anything but their resource surplus and their rather inept armies. When the big war breaks out in Europe Germany will take some of your puppets like Spain and Portugal and they will keep them occupied or annexed and will get all the benefits. The USSR may get some time though.
Othervise I like the strategy. :) Except I don't get why is it good to be at war with the USA.
Let me say again good updates. :)

Stalemate and Disaster

6WrhR.png

Argentina is really the next most important looking country in South America that we can reach, so we declare war. The country has a lot of flat land so we are bringing tanks all the way from Spain to join in on the fun.

Some cool tech that we have researched in the past couple months.
cMk8K.png

Now that we are at war with one of the premier naval powers of the world I decided it was prudent to actually get a real navy. As I have said before I prefer the CL-CV fleet composition having recently abused its power during a Japan game. The range, hitting power, flexibility and robustness of the CL-CV fleet make it the much better choice. We have the IC and leadership to make it possible, although if the US, Japan or UK are playing properly we will have very far to go.

od2Ix.png

In case we can never gain enough naval power to win wars conventionally, nukes will win them unconventionally. I don't know about you guys but I take enormous satisfaction every time I nuke America, just feels so wrong its right. To help speed up our nuclear program I am also prioritizing nuclear physics theory. That is one sexy theory tech, the ultimate snowball effect machine.

We also researched strategic bombers, wonder what those will be used for... anyways back to the action.

The South American Front:

We begin the liberation of Argentina on December 6th with small scale landings to secure Buenos Aries.
q5z0b.png

The city falls 2 days later.
iBfGR.png

They abandoned the city faster than expected, this caused an unfortunate naval clash. My fleet was still guarding the passage as we unloaded more troops when the Argentine navy was forced to leave the city's port. The two fleets smacked each other up, our battleship the Paris Commune was heavily damaged and limped back to Rio, but we also sank one of their battleships.
aVD07.png

This is a huge bummer, we were planning on using that later.

Things get worse when the Brazilian navy decided to get into a slug fest with the Argentines too, although I am happy the Brazilians are attacking stuff, their efforts would be more welcome elsewhere. Like fighting the US navy that is still sinking convoys.
a2bso.png

Ouch.
aakkX.png

We dump the rest of our army into the country, including to tank divisions, they start to rush across the plains toward VPs in the north, enemy units form up along our long exposed left flank, we don't have enough to hold them back should they all attack at once. We decided to just start attacking them one at a time with infantry to buy time for the tanks to win the war.
SEZyv.png

The armor spearhead can be kinda seen here. Argentina never stood a chance. So I took very few screenshots :/

Moscow, January 2rd, 1941.
Deep inside the Kremlin the Politburo had been discussing late into the night the next target for their South American campaign. Things were rushed and Molotov had been absent. Proper protocols were not followed when the order where sent to the Foreign Ministry. The events that happened after are highly embarrassing.
The Foreign Ministry Office January 3rd: Mikhail Sergetov received the orders in the morning. It was a single damp sheet of paper covered in burns, grease stains and erratic pencil scratches. It smelled like vomit. He immediately called over his boss Molotov to clarify things. "Comrade, I am told these are our orders for the next war declaration, but they are unreadable. Can you call Stalin and confirm the next target?" Molotov shuddered, "The last time I called Stalin when he was hungover he had my house burned down." "Well we have to declare war on someone, and soon" There was panic in Sergetov's voice, "and what if we declare war on the wrong country, and our armies have been positioned incorrectly!" Molotov gasped, "I have it, we'll just declare war on the whole continent, Stalin won't care, the man started a war with US for gods sake, and our armies will be able to attack anybody they want! Everybody wins." Sergetov was happily nodding, "I'll prepare the messages, we are going to have a lot of Embassy's to blow up."

o9GbL.png

The Soviet Union is now at war with: Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Columbia and Venezuela, also America. This is not an intelligent choice, those of you who are playing to win, do not do this ever! This means no more taking down countries one by one with awesome sneak attacks before they can even mobilize. I figured I would give you guys a good show and keep things interesting. I will later regret this sentiment.

Argentina surrenders on January 8th. We attack the capital of Paraguay, its right on the border, but in a jungle so it still takes time. We also attack Chile and their two very exposed VPs. A river in Uruguay slows down the one division tasked to subdue the small country, we wait for reinforcements.
6NBRu.png

IyRWb.png

Our assault on Santiago.

cy6f2.png

The Paraguayan capital falls, they are puppeted.

On January 26, Montevideo falls and we puppet Uruguay. Chile goes down quickly as well.

The bulk of our army moves north to attack Bolivia.

Our First Boondoggle

They say war is series of catastrophes resulting in victory. Our wars have been lacking major disasters (unless you count the spread of communism you capitalist swine!) But our poorly conceived and executed invasion of Venezuela was a relatively major catastrophe. We lost more troops in that invasion than in all our previous ones.
I had a simple dream of controlling almost all the oil available in the game, and Venezuela was the last major oil exporter other than the US that I have not yet attacked. The problem is it, and everything around it was painfully far away from my bases. Only a corner of the country could be attacked from Rio. Furthermore, the only port in that godforsaken country is not in the capital, but all the way across on the other side. I did not know this until my troops were already on the ground and trapped. Finally Venezuela actually has a large army, a lot larger than the paltry 40,000 auxiliary troops I tossed on their shores. Let us watch the tragedy unfold.

The invasion begins on January 9th, gulp.
mbIuX.png

Our troops are constantly attacked as they rush for the capital and its desperately needed supplies. One by one they are engaged, forced to retreat and overrun, we eventually capture the capital, but by then there are only two divisions left.
oAP1H.jpg

As Bolivia is puppeted the noose around our troops is drawn tighter.
lIZpH.png

Months of depressing fighting later, in mid March 1941, we make a final stand in Caracas, and lose.

1jZnr.png

Stalin vows to wipe Venezuela off the map, remove it from history and salt the land so no one can ever live there again.

Stalemate in Peru:

Over the early months of 1941 we have learned that South America is a very difficult place to wage a respectable war. Its all mountains jungle and rivers. We learned this the hard way as we worked up the west coast and ran into heavily defended mountains. How heavily defended you ask?

MWxUx.png

That heavily defended god dammit :mad:

The stalemate line, the only way to get through to Peru is over those mountains that are chock full of pissed off Peruvians.
hqClL.png

It's going to be a long war.
23HMs.png

Fortunately the loss in Venezuela and the frustration in Peru galvanized the Russian high command. They were not getting what they wanted. They were at war with a superpower and an entire continent, but our mighty army and air force were stuck in Europe. Waiting for the German threat to materialize. They had waited five years. Germany had not even conquered France. The Soviet High Command was angry at Germany for wasting their time, angry at Japan for threatening their borders and angry at Italy for being Italy. You wouldn't like them when they are angry...

wut
So practically all of Europe and South America are now in that beautiful cyrillic-esque font? Very nice!
I take it you'll invade the US through Central America and Mexico?

You're probably planning on dealing with that before it becomes an issue, but I should note that Italy is going to DOW you over Greece and pull the germans and japanese along...

So have fun with that!

Oh I don't think I will have to worry about an Italian DOW. *maniacal laughter*
I was wishing more wacky commentary from stalin. The us is going to be a though nut to crack, i would reccomend attacking texas if assaulting the mainland, as thats where most of their rares and oil are. When is cuba going to be exporting sugar to the su and not the us?

Eventually I will want to puppet Mexico and Canada to sandwich the US in communism, so Texas will be a prime target. Cuba may have to wait a bit, the slog through Peru is taking a lot longer than expected. :(

Nice AAR. I like it though I don't see the point of taking so many countries and puppeting them. As of my knowledge this way you don't gain anything but their resource surplus and their rather inept armies. When the big war breaks out in Europe Germany will take some of your puppets like Spain and Portugal and they will keep them occupied or annexed and will get all the benefits. The USSR may get some time though.
Othervise I like the strategy. :) Except I don't get why is it good to be at war with the USA.
Let me say again good updates. :)

Glad that you like the AAR! My main reason for taking puppets is flavour. Although puppets are usually not optimal I just think they are really cool. Its nice to have a bunch of countries fighting for you no matter how incompetent they are. There are also some very tangible benefits, not only do I get all their spare resources (allowing me to build even more IC and never build supplies) but when my troops are in or around their countries I draw supplies directly from them. This is the reason why I can even fight a war in places like South America with the US navy and other jumping all over me, the only convoys getting sunk right now are ones bring extra resources back to Russia. Regarding the German threat to puppets in Europe, I would have had to defend those places anyways, might as well get somebody to do it for me. Overall, many things I am doing are not optimal, but I am aiming for a more wacky and stupid game. :D

Practicality is for capitalist pigs! Down with everyone who doesn't kiss Marx's ring finger!
Now, where was that bottle of vodka....*hic*

My sentiments exactly, things are going to have to get a whole lot crazier around here before I call it a day!

The Main Event

Well it has finally come to this. By early April our war with the USA was still in the phony stage, but eventually they would move violently against us. Our Forces were slowly battleing in South America, it was going to take a long time to see any progress on the front. By now I realized the only logical move left is war with the Axis. The vast majority of my army has spent the entire game sitting on our borders waiting for the inevitable showdown. By now we have better things to do than wait for Germany to come to us, so we are going to come to Germany. This will also allow us to puppet Italy and Japan, with their navies I might be able to challenge the Allies and the US. Although I have not really shown much of the buildup for this war, it has been considerable. The army amassed on the Russian-Geramn border can be described as huge, potent, excessive and sick good. There is a similar one in Manchuria ready to kick the Japanese out of Asia.

Operation Curb Stomp:
By this time I have deployed the ultimate arbiters of land warfare. Named the "Red Rollahs", these divisions are composed of 3 medium armor and 2 self propelled artillery brigades. They hit at an 8-7, move 7 kph, and are lead by the best panzer leader generals we have. The Germans are going to be schooled in blitzkrieg, Russian style, that means by killing them. We have dozens of CAS and INT as well as a few TACs ready to blast anything our tanks cannot. We have gaggles and when I say gaggles, I mean a stupidly huge number of assorted armor divisions all formed into five nearly maxed our mechanized corps. Finally a "Russian" amount of infantry divisions almost all of them are in 3-1 formation, ready zerg rush what ever our tanks decide to not destroy. The Germans have a string of garrisons and a few other infantry divisions along their border. Some may call attacking Germany while it is still at war with France unfair, others may call it gamey as hell. I call it one hell of a way to stick it to the Germans for all the times they have caused me and every other HoI player trouble. Today Germany atones for her sins and Russia intends to provide the penance.

The Setup:
This is the main spearhead, another 3 huge stacks of armor are moving into position behind them. There is also another similar spearhead in the south sans heavy armor.
gHZCl.png

The Southern front
Bh3ak.png

The Plan:
The schwerpunkt will be directly towards Berlin on the shortest route possible, with the strongest units possible. A German general had a saying about blitzkrieg, "you have to boot em, not splat em." I live by that advice, and am going to boot the crap out of everything between me and Berlin. Everyone else is going due west killing everything they see until we hit France. Some units will peel south to puppet Italy and their fancy navy. We do have a small force in the Balkans but most of the heavy lifting there will be done by our puppets, good thing we did not kill their armies. We will defend Sweden from Malmo, hopefully inducing huge losses when the Germans try to cross the straits.
c3979.jpg

Dat Arrow.

We declare war on April 7th, Germany's allies come to their aid, we activate Rodina, We can now build an infantry division for 8.01 IC in 77 days. Not bad.
9km02.png

The Assault: April 7th, 1941 is a day that will haunt Europe for the rest of its miserable existence. It is the day the Soviets came.

An ominous silence blanketed the German lines all along a thousand kilometers of border stretching through East Prussia and Poland. The early dawn chill and mist still hung in the air. The German garrisons sitting, as they have for months, in their dugouts saw flocks of panicked birds and deer rushing west. There were occasional shouts in Russian and the snarls of engines in someplace, but nothing else broke the peace that had lasted for so long. Suddenly German troops felt the ground rumble and the unmistakable boom of artillery as Soviet guns began an earth shattering barrage, the sky was alive with swarms of aircraft. Swooping over them bombing and strafing the defenseless German lines. The few squadrons of their own planes were quickly shot down by huge numbers of Russian interceptors. The Germans who survived the initial onslaught soon heard the rumbling of armor and the roar of charging men. It was the greatest land battle ever fought in human history millions of men and thousands of machines clashing for nearly a week.
R5qdX.png
JK5HG.png

We also attack German occupied Norway.
PjhSU.png

I am playing at the slowest speed but can still barely keep up with all the battle pop ups. Here are some of the major ones after the first week of battle. The Germans stupidly attacked Malmo "It's a TRAP!". Overall we have one hell of a bloodbath on our hands. Almost all the battles fought would have been very noticable in any of our other wars due to size of casualties, now they are mundane. At least we are winning.

The very first crop of battles, these were mainly fought by our more powerful armor units breaking through weak defenses. Firepower is awesome. Also Malmo.
fUctU.png

These are some of the battles that dragged on for days, mostly resulting in victory, but at what cost? Just kidding Russia does not give a damn about casualties :D
NltRS.png

bNauu.png

We achieve a great victory in Poland, this was delivered by our "Red Rollah" divisions just shredding through a stack of infantry in the open.

The front after one week of fighting, April 15th. We have crossed the Vistula river and achieved multiple breakthroughs.
V28XJ.png

n the picture above you can't see Warsaw as it is underneath the big giant German theater HQ, but a pocket will form there pretty soon.

April 17th: Konigsburg is surrounded, other smaller pockets have formed, the arrows show the allied objectives I've set for each country.
CX7lf.png

April 20th.
y3R0z.png

Infantry continues to close in on Konigsburg, we have three distinct spearheads forming, although the southern one will be blunted by a mess of Slovakians, Italians, and Germans mucking around the rivers, mountains and cities of southern Poland. Note the lack of comparative progress in the south in the next picture.

April 24th: The dot is Marienburg scene of numerous battles. Our drive for Berlin has reached the Oder river, they are just about to cross. The central front is still dealing with masses of uncooperative Germans trapped in pockets.
IPuqd.png

We quickly tighten the noose around Konigsburg and start hitting it with all the bombers we have while two infantry corps assault the city. The Germans attack Malmo again, and again. We have also began to encircle Danzig, but it is heavily fortified and loaded with Germans, they counterattack the province of Marienburg like crazy badasses. That province has fortifications and is a river crossing. We attack Danzig from another direction but are thrown back, the city is soon surrounded, we move heavy armor to sit and hold the most exposed terrain. This tense battle for Danzig will continue, every time we are vulnerable the Germans violently attack, and we cannot seem to crush the city either. This city will last...

More bloody battles.
UVZxg.png

Russia continues to inflict massive amounts of casualties upon the Axis. While this all is going on our armor thrust is racing toward Berlin, the few resisting divisions are swiftly crushed by our red rollahs while a special reserve of CAS bombers that are attached to the spearhead massacre anyone the tanks have trouble with.

The march of the Romanians, I set their objective to northern Italy, hopefully they can save the Yugoslavians in the process.
Bp77H.png

Romania was worth it!

Oslo falls after a couple weeks. Most of the Germans in Norway are busy fighting Fins way up north and Swedes in the center, they can't hold on to the city, its defenders are overrun by tanks and surrender after the flee the city.
b3WkS.png

More back and forth fighting around Danzig, we lose this battle, but a counterattack and reinforcements ensure the province never falls. however the city ramins a thorn in our side.
gcOrH.png

BGSzy.png

A close up of April 24th, Germans are rushing to hold Berlin while we are rushing to take it. If we can just take Berlin our supply situation will be solved, all the armor screaming through Poland is stressing our supply chain, we're barely in Germany and are already running out of gas.

The Eastern Front in all its glory on April 28th. We have reached the outskirts of Berlin, but it is loaded with troops, including heavy armor, meanwhile the bulk of our army is marching from Konigsburg to either run to Berlin's aid or help our desperate troops attacking/defending Danzig. In the center we are attempting to encircle a huge mass of the German army. Our armor breakout has been engaged by Italians as we try to cross the Oder River. You can already see fuel issues poping up. It has been 21 days and despite some ferocious resistance Germany is already on the ropes. All hail the Soviet Union! I'm chugging all the vodka in my house when we force a German surrender, and I hope you guys do to!
gw9G8.png

Next Update, more war in Europe, South America, and the battle for the far east.

Last edited:
You should conquer Germany instead of puppeting it, all that IC and stuff would be really useful for a war against the allies. Not to mention that the Soviets haven't really gotten any land from all these wars, I'm sure Stalin would appreciate it.

You should conquer Germany instead of puppeting it, all that IC and stuff would be really useful for a war against the allies. Not to mention that the Soviets haven't really gotten any land from all these wars, I'm sure Stalin would appreciate it.

Yeah I set Germany to conquer, while Japan and Italy to Puppet for their navies. I mainly want the German leadership, that will be crucial to keep up with America.