• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well this is entertainingly bonkers ... but it does seem to be going rather well

Welcome!

Yes, I just have to be careful not too get too aggressive before Germany goes to war with the Allies. Going off-script too much can be hazardous to your health.

Great Albanian Zog - whose name "Zog" is so awesome as to instill fear in all his enemies! Great AAR!

Welcome!

It certainly sealed the deal for me when I was checking Albania over and saw him there as head of state. It reminded me of an interview Conan O'Brien did with some celebrity with Hungarian roots. When she happened to mention her brother's name was Zoltan he quipped "Zoltan!? How's his overthrow of the Earth going?". Zog gives me a similar chuckle. I'm sure though that many manes I'm familiar with are also amusing to Eastern Europeans.

This looks just as great as your Clique AAR was. I'm a little confused by these war goals though, as I havn't bought FTM or watched a FTM AAR yet. What reeled me in was the name though, there has got to be an award for most awesome/ridiculous AAR title

This looks just as great as your Clique AAR was. I'm a little confused by these war goals though, as I havn't bought FTM or watched a FTM AAR yet. What reeled me in was the name though, there has got to be an award for most awesome/ridiculous AAR title

Welcome!

The war goals are a mixed blessing for me. If you are a minor country, then you have a guaranteed way to get some share of the spoils regardless of your actual role in combat. And you can do things that would usually get considered "gamey" by players who complain if you don't want to follow the WWII script. For example, as Germany, you can DoW Poland with the "Reclaim Our Cores" war goal, which give you the Polish Corridor and enables the Danzig Strategic Effect. If that is all you choose, then Poland will still be independent and you can just DoW it again later whenever you are ready to challenge the USSR. In the meantime, since you have no border with them, the USSR DoW for taking London is meaningless. On the downside (for me), with the surrender events gone, you don't get cool things like the formation of the DDR and enlarged Poland if you win as the Comintern.

Oh... and regarding names, I still would probably lose the award to "All your bird poop AAR belong to us!"

I will be playing the UK later tonight so there should be an update here during the weekend.

[size=+1]1938, Winter, Spring – The World at War (Already!?)[/size]

At the start of 1938, things are going decently enough. I have made Italy a puppet and taken a slice of their territory from Venice down through Trieste. The Axis powers are at war with Yugoslavia in the Balkan War. Thanks to the troops I have been given by my Allies, I am holding a front in the south:

Ch04_01_AlbanianFront.jpg

What has been happening here is that every so often Yugoslavia attacks one of these provinces, and I launch a counterattack to get them to abort it. Germany and Italy haven’t exactly been sending me their best troops, so I don’t anticipate any advances here unless the enemy decides to withdraw to make a defense of a rear area.

Up north, the Axis powers are making some progress towards Beograd, but if you can see all the green movement arrows, you will notice that there is a lot of combat power up here that can’t seem to make up its mind where to attack. If all these divisions poured across the border, this war would be over already.

Ch04_02_BeogradFront.jpg

I’m still waiting to get my first tank produced. I haven’t decided what to do after that. I’d really like to start working on Infantry, but since I only have 2 manpower saved up, that won’t be happening. I may decide to work on a Transport or try and get a warship license from Japan to get the kernel of a navy going.

Ch04_03_Production.jpg

On the tech front, I decide to devote a little bit of leadership to getting my officer ratio up to 140% (it’s at 101% right now). My tech queue includes things to beef up Infantry and Artillery.

”Beef. It’s what’s for dinner” – Robert Mitchum

Ch04_04_TechQueue.jpg

1 January: Hungary graciously donates a 2x INF division.

5 January: The Axis powers appear to be pulling out of northern Yugoslavia and heading to the French and Polish borders. Since Hungary has a border with Yugoslavia, I would expect their troops to stay, but they also appear to be leaving.

Ch04_05_YugoPullout.jpg

7 January: I’ve moved two of the Italian 2x INF divisions into the same province in the hopes I could merge them, but I’m not allowed to do that.

14 January: Another Italian division shows up, this one is 2x CAV + 1 MOT.

21 January: The extra division allows me to take another snippet of Yugoslav territory.

”All I want is what’s coming to me. All I want is my fair share.” – Sally Brown

Ch04_06_AttacksNearTirane.jpg

1 February: Nothing much happening, except that Axis troops are returning to push on Beograd, and I am carefully creeping up from below.

Ch04_07_BalkanAttacks.jpg

14 February: Albanian-led troops link up with our fascist brethren in the north. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Ch04_08_BeogradLinkup.jpg

19 February: Italy gifts me another 2x INF division. I see an Italian crops HQ hanging out near Tirane, I really hope they don’t plan on handing that to me.

28 February: I take Beograd.

2 March: My trick of using the “Yugoslavia” acquire territory war goal works, and I slip the entire country out from the hands of the Germans. There will be no independent Croatia on my watch! I now have a land link to my Italian territories. I will now wait out the rest of March to see what happens vis-à-vis Austria. If there is no Anschluss, then they will be my next target. Otherwise, I will try and pick off Bulgaria. I’m a little disappointed in my pillage, my base IC went from 5 to 9, and my monthly manpower gain only went from around 1.2 to 2.7. It’s at least something, anyway.

Ch04_09_GreaterAlbania.jpg

4 March: Hmmm… not sure how this game does its accounting, but suddenly I shoot up to 18 base IC. Finally getting respectable…

I’m agonizing over what to build. I still don’t have enough for an Infantry division. Germany turns down my request for more Armor, and Japan refuses me Light Cruisers. I decide on Transports then.

10 March: Germany does the Anschluss. That means Bulgaria is next on my hit list. I notice that Germany has paid me back for the loss of Austria by gifting me a Panzer division.

14 March: Bulgaria offers me military access. Getting nervous, are we?

27 March: My men have finally finished relocating from the Austrian border, so it is time to attack Bulgaria. Tirane has a lot of puppet troops hanging out there; I hope they will be gifted to me. I don’t think I have enough troops under my command to beat Bulgaria solo, but all I need to do is hold out until my puppets arrive.

Ch04_10_BulgarianFront.jpg

28 March: On the day of the attack, the Bulgarians pull away from their borders. This is fine with me; I don’t mind taking land for free, as I don’t have enough manpower to spare to replace battle losses.

”Run away! Run away! Run away!” – King Arthur & Knights

7 April: I get my first Yugoslav partisans in Zagreb.

Ch04_11_YugoslavPartisans.jpg

Ch04_YugoSlavPartisans.jpg

16 April: I march into Sofia.

Ch04_12_SofiaTaken.jpg

27 April: King Zog marries Countess Geraldine Apponyi.

KingWedding.jpg

2 May: I annex Bulgaria. I now have a strategic decision to make. There is no other country I have access to besides Greece that I can try to conquer right now, which will not give me a border with the Soviet Union. I already possess more ports in the Balkans than I can successfully defend against the UK when we end up at war with the Allies. If I let Greece stand, it might join the Allies and be a knife at Albania’s throat. On the other hand, if I attack them, I know it is extremely easy for them to make a chokepoint at Amfissa that will allow them to hold out for years if you don’t have the naval power to force a landing south of Athens. If that happens, then UK troops are going to come pouring out of there if I don’t take it. Zog decides to roll the dice and attack since so many of his puppets have their forces there near the border.

Ch04_13_GreekBorder.jpg

7 May: Japan refuses my request to buy Agano-class Light Cruisers. This is their second refusal in a row at “Very Likely” odds. So I settle for buying 4 Nuernbergs from Germany. The tool-tip is woefully inaccurate. It says the IC cost for each is 4.5, but after I clinch the deal it shoots up to 7.69. I suppose the lower price is a base cost that is increased because I have no practicals, but even so, I prefer if the tool-tip shows me the actual costs to me, I don’t care what the unmodified cost is.

25 May: Parliamentary Scandal removes Qemal Komani from office. He was my Chief of Staff, and now I can’t fill his position as there are no replacements. Very poor design, Paradox.

Ch04_14_PoliticalScreen.jpg

30 May: I get another uprising near Trieste. Some puppet or other killed of the first batch of rebels, but they never moved into Zagreb, so that is still in enemy hands.

5 June: I get an unexpected and unwelcome surprise:

Ch04_15_UKDoW.jpg

Luckily this didn’t come at an opportune moment for France to defend itself:

Ch04_16_MaginotLine.jpg

I add “Puppet” immediately as a war goal for France. I am extremely tempted to try and acquire French territory as a war goal; however, I am in a very poor position to deal with discontinuous territory at the moment, since I have no navy whatsoever. In this first round of war goals, I do add “Egypt” as a claim on the UK. Everyone else gets “Puppet”.

6 June: Italy goes with “It’s Our Time!” This war is causing all my puppets to pull away from Greece, which doesn’t make old Zog very happy, needless to say. Who’s calling the shots here, anyway?

Ch04_17_GreekBorder.jpg

13 June: Greece begins to align to the Allies.

30 June: The UK lands in undefended Split, exactly as I feared they might. With that bit of suspense, I’ll leave you until the next update.

Ch04_18_SplitAttack.jpg

Last edited:
Albania rules :) I like your funny narrative too.

Actually it is a very reasonable move from the UK side - too many uncontested conquests from the Axis side.

Albania rules :) I like your funny narrative too.

Thanks!

At least they aren't armoured divisions.
Actually it is a very reasonable move from the UK side - too many uncontested conquests from the Axis side.

It will be unfortunate for the UK that I am quite familiar with their capabilities through 1938 thanks to two games I've just played as them through that date. Roughly speaking, the UK starts 1936 with three and a half corps of Infantry in Britain, a half corp in Egypt, and two and half corps in Asia. None of these divisions will contain Artillery. I won't know what they produced in the last two years, but if there was any kind of a heavy focus on ships and planes, then they won't have much more on the ground than this, and this attack represents a major investment on their part as I can see nearly two corps here. If there is a UK defeat here, it will render them fairly impotent for some time to come while they replace these divisions. Having Armor by this point would be a huge stretch for them, and even having Light Armor in any quantity would also be a pretty big deal. I think the main issue won't be if they get repelled, but what damage can they do before that happens. My sole core VP city is a plus and a minus, since any UK expansion is meaningless unless they take Tirane, so the Axis can afford to lose tons of ground, but of course everything comes crashing down if they do pull that off. Since I have two corps of expeditionary forces at my disposal, I would hazard a guess that I can keep Tirane safe.

A lot of people seem to comment in the main forum that the UK is always invading northern Germany, but I seldom ever see that in the early stages of the game when the US is not involved. These Balkan invasions are far more common, especially if the independent Croatia wasn't formed. Since this area though doesn't have any good bottlenecks to hold a defensive line, the Allies do usually get themselves kicked out pretty quickly.

[size=+1]1938, Summer & Fall – Guests That Won’t Go Home[/size]

”Welcome, O Welcome, to our little play…” – Prairie Dawn

So now here I am with WWII started two years early, just like in my other AAR and despite my best efforts. Perhaps it was my DoW of Greece that broke the camel’s back… but if so, I don’t quite understand how that worked out. The UK’s highest threat is listed as Germany with 51.2, which makes sense as the UK did DoW Germany and not me, but if Albanian actions lowered the UK’s neutrality so they could go to war in ’38, then why isn’t Albania their highest threat?

Either way, this was a terrible move for the UK as the French were woefully unprepared to face the Axis onslaught, and they are going down quickly:

Ch05_01_FrenchFront.jpg

On my front in the Balkans, the UK has sent two corps into Split, as I was sure they would the moment any war started.

”Everything has happened exactly as I have foreseen.” – Emperor Palpatine

As a mark of my disdain for this invasion, I have assigned an AI general the task of rooting them out. As there are already puppet troops present which were on the way to France, I don’t expect it to be much of a challenge to get rid of them. However, this will slow down my invasion of Greece.

Ch05_02_BalkanFront.jpg

And speaking of the Greeks, they have done something very odd and invaded North Africa!

Ch05_03_Africa.jpg

I’m starting to wonder if I could have done better on the Industrial front. Instead of building this Armor brigade I’ve been working on, I might have building airfields or naval bases to start gaining construction practical. Then I could be spending 1938 – 1940 doing some IC runs. Due to my manpower shortages I don’t have the ability to work on a lot of things anyway, and the units that cost the least amount of manpower are also usually IC-heavy. I don’t know if this is the best plan, but it’s something to ruminate over. For now I’m getting my Armor produced and starting the germ of a navy, as I will need one if I plan on helping out in North Africa without going through Turkey, or if I find myself needing to make a landing in the Peloponnese to assist in the conquest of Greece. Also, if enemy troops look like they might capture Tirane, then I could also ship some of my forces outside the country to prevent their elimination. I don’t know if this is a good plan, but if nearly all my troops are going to be expeditionary forces anyway, then it seems reasonable I might as well build up Industry.

Ch05_04_AlbanianProduction.jpg

1 July: You might remember that when I was at war with Italy, their amphibious attacks on Tirane were incessant. Now that I have Italian objectives all over Greece though, all I ever see over here are Italian Naval Bombers.

Ch05_05_NavalBombers.jpg

5 July: I decide to add Corsica to my demands from France, and I add “Puppet” to the UK.

16 July: Germany goes with “Sounds like a good idea” for The Fate of France. Axis troops are closing in on Paris.

Ch05_06_AttackParis.jpg

My puppets are keeping an eye on the Greeks with a small force, which is pretty easy to do since the Greek army appears to be mainly in Africa:

Ch05_07_OutsideAthens.jpg

26 July: My Armor brigade finishes, so I start working on a 3x INF + 1 ART division.

1 August: One of my loaner troops is cut off and will likely be eliminated. This is what happens when you leave the AI in charge!

Ch05_08_Encirclement.jpg

5 August: A total of two of my loaner divisions have been encircled and eliminated, and the UK is increasing its pocket. This shouldn’t be happening as the Axis has a preponderance of force in this theatre, but we all know how competent the AI is…

Ch05_09_ExpandingPocket.jpg

Later in the day I change my mind about Indochina and demand it from France, along with Singapore from the UK. Just in time too, as German troops occupy Paris and the French surrender progress is at 100%.

6 August: France surrenders and the Vichy government is formed, but I get my little slice of territory. The US gets the Unlimited National Emergency event.

Ch05_10_FallofFrance.jpg

7 August: UK invokes the Our Finest Hour event.

10 August: My first Transport completes, and I decide to queue up another. Albania has a Navy!

”In the Navy!
C’mon, protect the motherland!
In the Navy!
C’mon and lend a helping hand!” – The Village People

Ch05_11_AlbaniaNavy.jpg

11 August: I happen to notice that my ownership of Indochina gives me Black Soil; the manpower boost is certainly welcome.

14 August: The UK continues to expand its pocket, largely because the Axis is making no serious effort to get rid of them yet.

Ch05_12_BritsExpand.jpg

21 August: I get a Bulgarian uprising and send my Armor brigade to deal with it.

1 September: Japan annexes Shanxi.

7 September: I lose another loaner division to encirclement. Look at how big the pocket is now. I’ll never understand AI logic… there is no way to defeat this without German help, but the Germans are all at the border of Poland, Denmark, and the Low Countries. I’m curious as to how much farther Britain can expand before the German AI does something. They never seem to have a problem fighting the UK when they are in Italy, so I don’t know why this is different.

Ch05_13_MoreBritExpansion.jpg

11 September: The UK has reached Austria and is invading Hungary, so I finally see some German troops dribbling down.

12 September: France annexes Vichy France. I issue France a Call to Arms, which oddly enough gets Nepal involved in the war with Greece.

15 September: My puppets take Athens and I annex Greece. Good timing, as the Italians were getting very roughly handled by Greek troops. Hopefully this will make the Axis powers take the UK presence in Yugoslavia a little more seriously.

17 September: I add Gibraltar to my list of demands from the UK.

24 September: Luxemburg mobilizes.

10 October: The German AI continues to enrage me. They counterattack one province deep into Yugoslavia, then, turn around and go home instead of driving through and pushing the UK into the sea. In North Africa, the Italians have moved back into the Libyan lands the Greeks pushed them out of, but then are not advancing into Egypt.

22 October: I get stuck with Leak Within the Government. I add Borneo to my list of claims from the UK. Germany gives me Mountain troops on loan.

2 November: I get two sets of partisans in Indochina in the same day.

Ch05_14_IndochineRebels.jpg

16 November: I get hit with Yugoslav partisans, and send the Armor brigade after them

27 November: I add Malta to my claims on the UK.

28 November: I get Economic Boost.

6 December: More partisans show up in Indochina.

28 December: I demand Cyprus from Britain.

31 December: At the New Year’s Eve office party, Zog looks a little glum. Albanian-led forces are holding the eastern end of the Balkan front by themselves, while at the other end, the Axis forces refuse to commit. We can easily see this situation dragging out all through 1939 and even 1940 if Albania is forced to produce its own army to drive the UK out of here.

Ch05_15_BalkanFront.jpg

We’ll drink a toast to better times in ’39.

Totally Random Productions + HOI3 = This

I shall be watching intently :D

Totally Random Productions + HOI3 = This

I shall be watching intently :D

Welcome! Hopefully there will still be something to see... but if I go down, I hope to go down with style.

UMAD History?

Good for you! Frankly I wish I hadn't learned about this either.

Good for you! Frankly I wish I hadn't learned about this either.

Heh... well, now that I've visited knowyourmeme.com, it's too late to save me.

Another great AAR; I admit I haven't seen the "Prepare for War" decision in my version of FTM, but then again, I'm Germany so I don't exactly need it...

Another great AAR; I admit I haven't seen the "Prepare for War" decision in my version of FTM, but then again, I'm Germany so I don't exactly need it...

Welcome!

"Prepare for War" is intended to only be available to Minors, I've heard that there is a base IC cut-off as to what country does and does not get it.