• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Meh it is what it is. I find it really strange how people become more upset about DLC if they find out the data was on the disc or already in the files. What does it really matter? If they were going to sell it they were going to sell it either way. Just saves you some bandwidth of not needing to download it.

In the end all that matters is they decided this piece of content would cost extra. And if you don't agree then don't buy it. Me personally I won't since it just doesn't look that interesting.

When you buy a game, digital only or not, you pay for every single bit of data you get on the dvd / download.
That's what you paid for. Same as when you buy a movie, a music album or even a box of cookies.
If suddenly the store owner came to your house and said "hey, you can't eat that cookie, it costs extra", or if a scene from the movie was locked unless you entered your credit card details and paid more, would you still think it is okay??

We already paid for all of the content. Period. Our money is now in their pocket, yet we did NOT recieve all that we paid for.
Furthermore, it being in the client before actually needing to download the dlc proves that it was in fact developed and FINISHED before the game was released and sold.
This means that when we pay for the game, we pay for all the development up to that point, the day of release.
Them locking out something they already finished within that timeframe that we paid their salaries for, is absolutely unacceptable.

Yes, you are right. In the specific single cases it is pointless to bicker about, i mean come on it's just a turtle and some other nonsense.
But we MUST bicker about it, out of principle. If we don't it will just keep happening to more and more games, to more and more DLC (produced before the game was released, hence essentially robbed from us as we already paid for that development time).
So even if we don't really care about tiny issues like a turtle unit in the game, we MUST be annoying whiny kids, because someone has to say no, that it is not acceptable to do this.

We already paid for all of the content. Period. Our money is now in their pocket, yet we did NOT recieve all that we paid for.
Furthermore, it being in the client before actually needing to download the dlc proves that it was in fact developed and FINISHED before the game was released and sold.
This means that when we pay for the game, we pay for all the development up to that point, the day of release.
Them locking out something they already finished within that timeframe that we paid their salaries for, is absolutely unacceptable.
Excuse the snip, but this is untrue. Neither Ino-Co nor Paradox tells you that the $20 you paid for the game will give you access to all of the content they have developed. It's foolish to assume that all development progress up until the day of release is included in the game. You know very well that all the content, if any, that Ino-Co added to the game in the week or so before May 8 did not make it to launch. Your assumptions about what should be in the game when it is released have nothing to do with the developers' obligations towards their game, and their customers.

Of course, the fact that there is DLC consisting of content that could have been in the game but isn't, is not a good practice and will not sit well with many of the customers, as is apparent. But this is the business model that Paradox has chosen, and you knew that before you bought the game. I don't support this practice any more than you do, but I do not act like I have a right to all past and future content of Warlock just because I put down some money for it.

Excuse the snip, but this is untrue. Neither Ino-Co nor Paradox tells you that the $20 you paid for the game will give you access to all of the content they have developed.

That's generally been how things were up until around 2004 when the DLC bullshit went crazy.

...near the "horse armor" level of pointlessness. You want me to pay a significant portion of the game's cost in order to unlock... a perk? This isn't something that significantly extends the lifespan of the game... a new race. A campain...
I think this is adding more than just a perk. It is a full leader with their own specific troops, unless I am understanding it wrong.

I will admit, though, I really don't like the "cash-cow" mentality of DLC. I would far prefer things along the lines of "Warlords" and "Beyond the Sword" expansions of CIV IV. I would rather have several new DLC things added in, and be able to buy them together, along with improvements to the game as someone else mentioned, you know, and actual "expansion," not piece meal additions that become expensive when you try to buy all of them.

I am still STUNNED that you have to pay $2 for a "blood-soak" effect in Shogun 2. Honestly, that is just an abuse of the DLC situation. I bought the game, bought "Rise of the Samurai" and they had a 10-unit DLC I also got, but when I saw $2 for an effect that should simply be in the game already, I honestly got mad.

Same with Civ V, the way individual countries have to be bought...we love games, we want to give money to game-makers so they make more, but maybe they should consider not alienating the people who support them. I think there are companies and models of DLC distribution that are doing this far too much. I would far prefer "true" expansions (like Throne of Bhall for Baldur's Gate 2, now that was an expansion).

The thing is we DID recieve all we paid for. All of the information contained in the game is downloaded onto your computer. You HAVE the data but the game doesn't give you access to all of it through normal means. That doesn't mean that this DLC is there in a complete form ready to be played. We know that earlier versions of the game had an earlier version of some of the DLC content. We have no proof it was finished. There are software tools which let you look into the files the game uses and someone with such tools and enough know-how and time could find out exactly what is in there. But none of this means that Ino-co is required to include anything in the game as playable content.

To put it another way, after the Power of the Serpent DLC is released, anyone who buys the game after that point will be downloading a version of the game which includes that DLC. Just like anyone who buys the game now downloads a version with the Powerful Lords DLC. But it doesn't include easy access to that content without paying for it seperately. When you buy a movie on a DVD there's no garuntee that you'll be able to watch everything that was put onto the disc. There may be content which was partially completed and rather than removing all the information, access to it was removed instead. When you buy a bag of cookies there will be crumbs which, no matter how hard you try, you will be unable to eat. If someone comes along and says "Here's a bag of crumbs, it costs extra" you have every right not to buy it. That doesn't mean you are owed it.

I don't like the idea of DLC being something which could have been in the game from the start and was simply made inaccessable to be sold later. I have the Powerful Lords DLC because I preordered the game. I wouldn't buy that seperately because to me it's not worth the price. If I buy this new DLC it will be because I think it's worth my money. But there's nothing illegal or immoral about this current practice and it's certainly not something Ino-co or Paradox have the power to stop. Current business practices compel gaming companies to create DLC and the easiest way to do that is to plan for it ahead of time. You're free to speak up about disliking it, and I'm not writing this to say otherwise. Voice your dissent, don't support DLC which you feel isn't worth your money. But don't use arguments which are false, either. Before DownLoadable Content was released, games still had plenty of information which was locked away from the users. The difference is that now this content gets unlocked in exchange for money.

The people crying about not fair about not getting the content because it is in their program are most likely the same ones that cry about special mounts and and pets in MMOs. That data is included in your game but you have no access.

I suppose I might have been a tad overzealous, if they do plan on continuing to update the game proper. I was mostly worried that they'd add, like, 10-20 irrelevant DLCs that cost a total of 2-3 times what the game itself does... like a game that I don't really want to rag on, but has been brought up in this thread.

I think the worst case of this, period, is that one train simulator game, where all the "add a new train model" dlcs total a few thousand dollars.

DLC is why I've completely stopped buying games at release (except Skyrim, mod-support). Because I, as the consumer, have no idea about how/when/price the devs/pubs are planning to dole out new content so I've learned to wait until they say they're done before I pick up whatever 'complete edition' gets released.

And I also wait for sales if the DLC were priced into the herpaderp-sphere of stupidity.

My words exactly: Why isn't the DLC on Steam already? I thought we'll get it by the weekend, but the weekend is... well, finishing, and still there are no news on Steam about this release (nowhere...).

Some of you are going to hate when free to play gaming finally takes off. I mean for single player games. The day is coming when the base game will be free and features/additions will cost a fee. I believe DLC is just the precursor to FTP. Anyways back to the topic, Gamersgate is just a Steam key, so unless you can't buy from Gamersgate in your region you don't have to wait for Steam.

Free to play is a drop in the pan that will die out because the quality of such titles are so low it's beyond demented.

This was all the motivation I need to put off purchasing this game until steam has it on sale for like 70% less bundled with all these crappy little dlc's ..

See you in a few years then..... ( facepalm )