• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Senor de Conti, should I become Presidente, then I will resume negotiations. I have no power to do so as Minister for Education, but the Presidente does, and I will utilise that power to the best of my ability. As it stands, however, there is a legitimate Chilean State, based from Santiago, and an illegitimate 'Chilean Free State', based in Panama. Any revisions of the treaty must therefore ensure that unity is beneficial to the legitimate government in Santiago. There is no reason you should refuse to join with the mainland, Senor; Panama is legitimate sovereign territory of the Chilean State, and if a peaceful solution cannot be found, then military action must be considered to reunify the nation."

Severiano Miramontes

The 1906 Candidates​

robertelee1.jpg

Mateo Sáez ((Seek75))

Jingoism/Secularism/State Capitalism/Protectionism/Residency [0+2+0+0+0=3]

State Capitalism: The economy must be watched over by the state, so as to make sure no one class is oppressing another and to make sure that every Chilean is doing the most he or she possibly can to benefit the Fatherland.
I propose creating a National Trade Union, so that the workers, the capitalists, and the government may all sit down and speak with another in a set, central location. I also believe taxes should be lowered as much as possible without running a deficit.

Protectionism: The Chilean economy should be made as self-sufficient as possible, and foreign products should be gradually phased out in favor of products of the Fatherland. Tariffs should therefore be levied on foreign products.

Jingoism: The military is the center of the Fatherland, and thus it should be prioritized over everything else. To fail to support our military is to invite foreign powers in to Chile in order to control and manipulate the Fatherland.

Secularism: The National Revolution was a revolution of the Chilean people, by the Chilean people, for the Chilean people. Religion should therefore have no influence over the workings of the government that has resulted.

Residency: The Fatherland is Chilean, and only Chilean. The foreign hordes must be kept OUT of Chile, and the beautiful culture of our glorious Fatherland must be preserved and protected against the dangers of foreign radicals.

This century will be a Chilean century under me! Vote Mateo Sáez for a strong, independent Fatherland!

Pes_18339.jpg

Severiano Miramontes ((Ivir Baggins))

Pro-Military/Moralism/State Capitalism/Protectionism/Full Citizenship [1+0+0+0+2=3]​

"Should I be elected, these will be my policies:

"State Capitalism; Chile's industry, though great, lacks direction and oversight. I will ensure that all factories that are required will be built, whilst also providing support for our many capitalists and entrepeneurs to do the same.

"Protectionism; an increase in tariffs would not only protect Chilean industry, but also provide funding for the treasury which may enable a reduction in taxes.

"Moralism; the Catholic Church is the primary faith in Chile, and its leading role must be assured. However, I plan for it to eventually be detached from papal oversight, so that it can truly be a church of Chile.

"Pro-Military; the army will be reconstructed along the legionary system that has been recently proposed. A large navy will also be part of the programme, and furthermore, we will need a large army in order to ensure not only our security, but also the security of South America.

"Full Citizenship: encouragement must be given for immigrants to settle in Chile, but we must also support assimilation, something I have done during my tenure as Minister for Education.

"Thus concludes my policies. Remember, when you vote for me, you vote for a man who has had experience in nearly all branches of government, from military command and the Ministry of War to internal affairs and reconstruction. I have been in public service for over 30 years, and that wealth of experience can finally be brought to the fore.

"Vote for me, and I will give you Chile!"

Custer.jpg

Sebastian Hidalgo ((MastahCheef117))

Jingoism/Moralism/Laissez-Faire/Protectionism/Limited Citizenship [0+0+2+0+1=3]

People of Chile!–

How glorious it is that you may all come to the ballot box yet again this year to vote for El Caudillo of the great Chilean State! For consideration during these times, I shall place my planned policies to implement, should I be elected, for all to see.

Regarding the military, I am taking a Jingoist stance. The Army is the centerpiece of Chilean might, power, and prestige, and helps us to project our power across the continent. I will not only strengthen the values of the military within Chilean society, but I will expand the projection power of the Army the world over. I should refrain from forgetting, in fact, that I have been a man of the military for decades; I have stood with the people against leftist insurrections and rebellions, and the work of the Army of Argentina, under my command, brought the Germanista government to the ground and freed the Argentinians from a repressive, tyrannical government.

When it comes to religion, I have a Moralist stance. Chile was founded by Catholic Christians. With strength and faith in God, we shall not forget our religious heritage and the huge part it has played in the creation, strengthening, and unification of Chile and her people. We shall have no other gods but God!

In regards to the domestic economy and industry, I support Laissez-Faire ideals. Our economy has grown to become one of the strongest in the world, and interference on the government's part will only damage it and lead it down the wrong path of planned economics and common leftist beliefs. The industry has thrived without any "help" from the government, and will continue to do so as long as we refrain from interfering.

In regards to the international economy, I support Protectionism. Our economy, as I have already said, is booming; however, other industries, like that of the United States and United Kingdom, threaten the very stability and strength of our own economy. Protective tariffs and other reassuring measures will buoy our dominance in the world market.

Lastly, when it comes to immigration, I am taking a stance for Limited Citizenship. Though immigrants have, in part, driven our economic boom of the recent years, we must remember that it is the Chileans that have taken residency in this country for decades that have laid the foundations for the immigrants of today to arrive and find their new lives in our nation. Chile para los Chilenos, but not to the point of discrimination.

The last step that remains is your choice. I trust that every free and right-minded Chilean shall choose that is best for the nation. I shall see you at the polls!

Luis_emilio_recabarren.jpg

Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo ((OldCleric))

Jingoism/Moralism/Interventionism/Free Trade/Limited Citizenship[0+0+1+1+1=3]​

The "Third Way" will be the focal point of any Caudillo reign, including my own should I "get the nod", so to speak. Therefore, it behooves we candidates to cover the controversial topics that dominate the Chilean press and minds. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, we must address the ever-expanding issue of the Chilean Free State. I thank and congratulate their naval enlisted men for hard-won victories in the face of French adversaries, and I extend this gratitude to our South American satellites. However, it is completely unacceptable to occupy two territories at once as a semi-autonomous state. Therefore, I would propose to actually resolve the matter in this way: the Chilean Free State should vacate the Panama Canal state and re-locate to the island of Martinique, which they dutifully fought for and won. In this way, our legitimate Government would not lay claim to Martinique, and theirs would not lay claim to Panama. Should I be elected, this proposition will become a reality, and we will have a unified Chile once more.

Secondly, we must take action economically by following through with previous propositions by myself and others, and lowering taxes on every strata. This will relieve some of the tremendous burden felt by the citizens of our great nation in this time of rebuilding, increase buying power, and overall provide fuel to our economy. We must also build more factories and encourage craftsmen within the country in order to better engage the international market and become financially liquid. Whenever possible, loans that we have taken out from both our own National Bank and those of other nations must be paid back in full, to relieve any burden that interest and outstanding debt creates for us.

Thirdly, we must expand into the Caribbean to counter the audacity of the French. We can accomplish this goal by utilizing their evident naval weakness and failure to garrison colonies, coupled with our own capable commanders and naval officers. We must first build a new navy, complete with the new dreadnoughts that we have discovered. In order to be victorious in an island battle, we must be able to utilize our navy to the fullest extent. Thus, it would be in our interests to co-operate with the naval forces of the prospective Martinique Government, should the situation arise.

We must also implement moralist policies, as opposed to merely discussing our support for them. In essence, we have only trained soldiers and taken Argentina in the past years. To be sure, these are great accomplishments, but we have done little to nothing of note inside of Chile. Following the internal strife of war, revolution and abandonment by many of our soldiers and allies who we once considered friends, it is time that we truly made strides in rebuilding Chile. This must be accomplished by including introversion in our policies alongside our current and respectable Jingoist policies.

To summarize my platform, I will be running a Jingoist military policy for obvious reasons relating to its astounding success in the past, and our pride and awe-inspiring military forces. I will be, as I have stated, actually implementing moralist policies. Chile is a Catholic nation, and should be classified as such. Additionally, economic policies of Interventionism in our home economy and Free Trade in the international economy are the best courses of action for the prosperity of our lands. Finally, I will be implementing a Limited Citizenship immigration policy, with consideration to the fact that immigration has boosted our position in many a situation.

We must vitalize our internal re-building efforts and economy, resolve the Chilean Free State situation with action as opposed to postponement, expand our naval and land forces to take the helm in the Caribbean, and actually pursue moralist and limited citizenship policies. In essence, we must actually do something to contribute to our situation, as opposed to looking on in disbelief as we realize that we are powerful. I humbly offer myself up as the man to do the job.

-------------------------
Strategic Redeployment Act

1) All armies are to be reorganized into Legions.
...a) These Legions are not to exceed 60,000 men in numbers (20 brigades).
...b) A set number of troops per Legion will make deployment and organization much more easier, as well as eliminating partisanship in the military.
2) Legions will be deployed in such a way that one can support another.
...a) This will allow for strategical and tactical flexibility, as well as increasing the overall striking and defensive power of the army.
3) A general can command no more than two Legions.
...a) This will prevent one single commander from gaining too much power.

Player Actions Needed:
As a reminder to all the candidates, you aren't actually being elected, you're being appointed by the party elite of the Frente Nacional. There currently aren't any elections in Chile. OldCleric, I'm not using the picture for yourself you've previously linked to because it's too big. Please choose something smaller.

VOTE! I need your vote for Sáez, Miramontes, Hidalgo, or De Escovedo. I also need your votes on the Strategic Redeployment Act. I believe that's the only bill outstanding.

As always, remember to bold your votes or they might not be counted. You still can't vote for yourself.

A sample ballot would look like:
Caudillo: Sáez/Miramontes/Hidalgo/De Escovedo
Strategic Redeployment Act: Yes/No/Abstain

This poll will end at 10:00 AM PST on the 8th (two days) or if 25 votes are reached before that.

Caudillo: Hidalgo
SRA: Yes

De Conti had abandoned his people and was content to live in his little Banana Republic for the rest of his day's, now that he feels threatened he comes back and expects us to accept him? I tell you this De Conti the Chilean Resistane will never accept you as leader again, also as I have stated I believe that selecting a leader is vital for the resitance's survival and inevitable victory.

Vote: Mateo Saez.
SRA: YES

Unfortunately, de Conti, I was not made aware of the treaty. Thus, it is null and void in my eyes and the eyes of many of my compatriots.

As for your changing of my name, it would be better still if you were to change your diaper instead. I do not play games for children like you do.

Additionally, one cannot bind his successors to an agreement.

I am very glad that my Strategic Redeployment Act has been a great success so far.

Strategic Redeployment Act: Yes

I also urge voters to continue placing their votes for their candidate!

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

Unfortunately, de Conti, I was not made aware of the treaty. Thus, it is null and void in my eyes and the eyes of many of my compatriots.

As for your changing of my name, it would be better still if you were to change your diaper instead. I do not play games for children like you do.

Additionally, one cannot bind his successors to an agreement.

They are bound by national and international laws! That truce is not just a "casual agreement", its a formal treaty by two heads of state bound by law. I chose not to include you in the peace talks, and its my fault you dont know. But the agreement is perfectly legal and will survive my successor

Name: Mantiago Retruécano
Born: 1871
Party: Independent
Background: Disillusioned with Chilean politics, Mantiago is affiliated with no one and nobody. He holds most politicians in equal contempt.

Of course, my opponent attempts to overstep his bounds horrendously.

Escovedo, Sr. Fernandez is El Caudillo, is he not? What right have you to question his decision and claim that because you were "not made aware of the treaty", it is "null and void"? You hold no power outside of El Caudillo's own will, as you are no more than a member of his cabinet who exercises his role as chief of state for him. As such, if El Caudillo says that we have a treaty with the Free State, then by god we have a treaty with the Free State.

Of course, my opponent attempts to overstep his bounds horrendously.

Escovedo, Sr. Fernandez is El Caudillo, is he not? What right have you to question his decision and claim that because you were "not made aware of the treaty", it is "null and void"? You hold no power outside of El Caudillo's own will, as you are no more than a member of his cabinet who exercises his role as chief of state for him. As such, if El Caudillo says that we have a treaty with the Free State, then by god we have a treaty with the Free State.

To complement what Saez is saying I must repeat once again: that document was published in the Congreso. I had assumed that you read it Escovedo, as minister of foreign affairs it was your duty to. However it was my fault for excluding you of the peace talks: They were top-secret and only between heads of state and it would've not followed the rules of courtesy if I had sent you a copy of the peace talks, and I ask for my forgiveness but there was nothing I could do.

Anyways Saez, I'm counting on you to succeed my rule. You are a coherent man and I like that, and remember that my support means more than just four extra votes.

Caudillo: Hidalgo
Strategic Redeployment Act: Yes

And there's the usual politicking and backroom deals that is so characteristic of Chile, no matter its incarnation. It is as if all these politicians have eaten too much chili. All of these gaseous substances being expelled from their bodies are very clear glimpses of the dark backside of Chile.

- Mantiago Retruécano

To go over the recent responses from Candidate Saez and Caudillo Fernandez, of course I recognize the treaty as effectual now. I was speaking from a position of my own candidacy; am I to be elected, I will re-negotiate the treaty to truly represent our interests. I did read the treaty once it was released to the Congreso, but at that point it had been agreed upon and it was too late to be changed. However, at the time, the treaty was satisfactory due to our war with Argentina.

I do not overstep my bounds; the treaty was once effective, but no longer. To dance around every topic because it is controversial is to be a weak man, and I have not shied away from rhetoric regarding the unacceptable state of Panama. To accuse me thus is rife with foolishness; I release my opinions and plans, as any good candidate would. I respect the current Caudillo unendingly, as he has enacted the greatest and most beneficial change that Chile has ever seen.

Saez, you and I have not been known to quarrel, and I would hate to begin engaging in politics not fitting with the courteous temperaments that we Nationalistas all share with each other. Thus, I ask you to refrain from attacks on my opinions. Instead, release your own and impress upon us all the reasoning behind letting an unlawful dictator rule our province.

As I have said, Caudillo, the treaty with de Conti was originally fitting and well-received. However, I do wish that you had at least discussed the question of successors and perpetuity with me, as your Foreign adviser. However, you have apologized many times, and I completely understand the logic behind private negotiations; de Conti is not an amiable man, and rather quick to become frightened and accusatory.

Now, however, the treaty must be re-negotiated. With the ushering in of a new Caudillo, new policies must be created; we cannot let the dictator de Conti rule over our land.

Candidate Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo,
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Last edited: