• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((i wish i hadnt left when i did, things got perfectly crazy))

I apologize for not being able to attend your convention Mr. Davis but, I, Nicolas Khur, accept your nomination as Inspector-General of the Southern National Militia, and, until a Official Headquarters has been set up for the SNM, I shall begin this role while I am stationed in New Orleans but the duties of this new office shall come second to my duties as an officer of the United States military, for the time being. To calm down any fears of Seccesion, I shall say that this SNM will only be used in the defense of the Nation as a whole and if the South is ever put under direct military threat. May God Protect Our Union, and the South.

I really think we should all just take a breath until the next update.

((Jesus, things went completely crazy in the last 24 hours; I was planning my own pro-abolition thingie but I think I'd rather hold it until the next update))

I oppose Section 2, because the entire institution of slavery in our nation is based on the fact that whites, slaveowners, are superior to blacks, the slaves. If the slave has shown the ability not only to escape, but to escape over the state border, and the slaveowner does not have the ability to stop him, then quite clearly the slaveowner is in no way superior to the slave.

Yours sincerely,
Eldud Walsh,
Democratic Congressman for Virginia.

Congressman Walsh

If I am not mistaken you are referring to the Texas Comprimise which has been taken off the table permenantly by its Author for a lack of public support. I can see that you are not fully confidant in the system upon which your state and indeed the whole south relies, a opinion I share. Perhaps then sir you would likke to join the SNP? It is part of our core party platform to limit the excesses that can be commited against ones slaves and beyond that we have never proposed something as barbarous as a new fugitive slave act with those provisions. Some accuse of of trying to destroy the union but it is my Davis Comprimise that is going to save it. Perhaps all we wish to do is make sure that the south is safe and do our best to keep it that way, and perhaps all you want to protect your state as well. You are welcome to join the SNP at any time.

-Thomas J.L. Davis
-God Save the Union and God Save the South

((Woah, missed a couple of pages. Which part of 'only the controller of the AAR may form political parties' did you lot not understand?))

((He seems to have accepted it because during the 7 hours he was gone a lot happened and it had grown to big to ignore by the time he got back))

Last edited:
I shall seek the Whig nomination for President at the next Primary, and if I were to be elected I would offer high position in the administration to Thomas J.L. Davis.

I May be willing to Accept depending on how my party is doing, however at the moment I am s o busy organizing it that it may take some time. This is actually a good suggestion though, a Whig-SNP ticket combined, albiet unlikely, would effortlessly beat the remaining democrats.

Edit: I Will be Seeking The SNP nomination for president at the next primary, Vice president is yet to be decided.

((i wish i hadnt left when i did, things got perfectly crazy))

I apologize for not being able to attend your convention Mr. Davis but, I, Nicolas Khur, accept your nomination as Inspector-General of the Southern National Militia, and, until a Official Headquarters has been set up for the SNM, I shall begin this role while I am stationed in New Orleans but the duties of this new office shall come second to my duties as an officer of the United States military, for the time being. To calm down any fears of Seccesion, I shall say that this SNM will only be used in the defense of the Nation as a whole and if the South is ever put under direct military threat. May God Protect Our Union, and the South.

Edit: Again: Thank you as always Mr. Khur, I think I shall establish the SNMHQ in New Orleans and the Party HQ in Atlanta. To restate what Mr. Khur has said The Southern National Militia will never be used as a offensive weapon and will only be called upon to 1. defend the south in the unlikely even of a national schism 2. to assist the US regular army in war in whatever way the army sees fit 3. to act to restore order in southern cities in the event of rioting, looting, etc.

((Essentially they are more or less similar in function to the National Gaurd of today))

Last edited:
((You do in fact play the party very well Projekt, hence the agitation, but most Southern nationalists agitate the character.))

The New York Labor Union, and Labor Unions around the nation will support the president in his anti-slavery legislation and fight to end the suffering of the common man, and freedom for the masses of the south. So long as the voice of the common worker has a place in your administration President King, you shall have our support!

Update Incoming. One Whig, and one SNP spot have already been filled.

Guys, I say it's time to moderate.

PS. It's probably not good for your sanity if you try to make proper sense of the election picture. Basically, TTL you've got states carried and the popular vote which go about 35/65 respectively.

King: Bleeding Texas

The Presidential election of 1837 was close. It was by a very small margin that Arthur King became president. McAttack eventually won in all the territories, apart from Minnesota and Wisconsin [1]. King’s stance on slavery also forfeited the South, which meant that King would have to win in the Northern states, or lose the election. In order to win, King launched the first true campaign in an election. He toured the north, tapping into the shame that people in those states felt over slavery.
The Democrats were caught off guard, as were King’s own party the Whigs. McAttack went to the Northern states in early January, and would perhaps have managed to turn the election in his favor, if it had not been too late. King had already painted him as the candidate of compromise. When the two candidates stood on Capitol Hill on January 20th as President Jackson slowly announced the results for New York, McAttack supposedly turned to King and congratulated him.

uselectionchart1837.jpg

1. The results for the presidential election of 1837, in which the population of the Northern states tipped the balance in favor of the Whigs.​

The United States thus had its first Whig president. It was King who ascended the steps of the improvised Presidential Podium and proclaimed that the Senate had voted, and with a 30 to 28 result, Texas would be admitted into the Union as a free state. The South was understandably horrified, fearing quite rightfully for their right to slavery. The question of the South’s “Peculiar Institution” would indeed become the dominating question of King’s presidency.
King’s presidency began promisingly. The District of Columbia and the state of Maryland both promised that they would begin to phase out slavery according to his plan. This promise made it seem as though abolition might just go through, and slavery in the United States would end, but on April 17th 1837, fate seemed to step in. The first half one-two punch that destroyed King’s plan came from Texas.
On that day, a small group of Texan Federal Troops had passed by the ranch of one Abraham Devine [2]. The troops had noticed that Devine was verbally berating a black man, and moved over to investigate. Devine explained that his slave was refusing to work unless he was paid. The federal soldiers told Devine that slavery was outlawed in Texas, so the man was not Devine’s slave and had full rights to pay.
This prompted Devine to march into the house, and fetch his hunting rifle. He fired, apparently in simple rage and not intent to harm, at the slave. The bullet missed, but the troops were sufficiently spooked to shoot Devine on the spot. Devine’s story galvanized those Texans who disagreed with the terms of admittance. They demanded the reinstitution of slavery, and their demands were answered equally fervently by the government and anti-slavery portion of Texans.
Over the course of the next two months, King watched in horror as the state of Texas descended into a civil war of its own. The sides in the phenomenon that became known as “Bleeding Texas” were the Federals [3] and the Amarillo Brigadiers [4]. In November 1838, half the United States Army would be in Texas supporting the State Government.

brigadiershanged.jpg

2. A drawing published in the San Antonio Times around 1839, of the hanging of two Amarillo Brigadiers at Fort Houston [5], the Federal stronghold near Austin.​

The spectacle of Texas, and the political waves it created, effectively hid the fact that King’s term was one of great economic growth. King’s decision to let American industry be seemed to pay off. The late 1830’s laid the foundations for the great explosion in railways that would send the country to the forefront of industrial development in later decades. By 1840, there was more track being laid down in the United States than all of Europe combined.
King also faithfully pushed through the colonization of unclaimed areas below the 49th Parallel. The territories of Washington and Oregon were recognized by Britain as the sovereign territory of the United States on June 4th and 19th 1838. “Jackson’s Enforcers” then moved to Idaho and Colorado. In Colorado, they even drove off a small Mexican minority, who had been sent there as an attempt by the Mexican government to make up for the loss of Texas by colonizing Colorado.
Yet all these achievements were nullified in the eyes of history by the events in Texas, and in 1838, the rise of the Southern National Party or SNP. The party was created on June 17th in Atlanta, Georgia. Formed by Jonathan Lee Davis, as a Southern counter-balance to the Northern-dominated Whigs, the SNP came into being on the back of the Davis Compromise.
The Davis Compromise, which effectively gave the North the existing and future territories in exchange for Texan Slavery, was the final nail in the coffin of King’s plan. Proposed as the situation in Texas reached its bloody peak of 50 deaths a week [6], the Davis Compromise was a godsend to the beleaguered King. Faced with the prospect of a “Bleeding South”, the president immediately put the Compromise in front of the senate in June 1838, although it would take until December 1840 for it to go to a vote.

arthurking.jpg

3. Arthur King, 8th President of the United States, near the end of his term.​

The SNP quickly rose in the South, its growth further fuelled by Southern frustration at the lethargy with which the Compromise was being handled. Davis’ promises of Southern power grabbed onto the fears of the Deep South, which were being fuelled by the suppression of the Amarillo Brigadiers and abolition in Maryland and D.C. With his electoral victory, King had poked a hornet’s nest.
“Bleeding Texas” had forever altered the American political landscape. It was now clear that both sides, when driven to it, were capable of killing for their cause. This essentially polarized American politics completely between North and South for the 1841 Presidential Election. What people and politicians could only guess at would be the possibility of a moderate candidate, who could attempt to bring balance to the situation.
So it was that when the National Conventions of the three great parties in American politics began, and the Davis Compromise prepared to be voted on, the mood in the country became sombre. The entire nation was holding its breath, to see if the system of American politics might be brought down by the very same dedication to one’s cause that had compelled the Founding Fathers to sign the Declaration of Independence.

[1] – The territories were granted the right to vote and 1 representative in the Senate by the 14th Amendment in 1804.

[2] – Abraham was no relation to the man who founded the small town in which Santa Anna was defeated.

[3] – This name was given because it encompassed the State Government, anti-slavery Texans who were known as “Loyals”, and Federal troops.

[4] – Named after the Amarillo Brigade, which came from the phrase used as a password among pro-slavery Texans; “Is this the way to Amarillo?” which was answered with “For I’ve been weeping like a willow, in search of Amarillo”. The rhyme was used in the 1970’s as the chorus of Tony Christie’s “Is this the way to Amarillo”.

[5] – Houston did not object to his name being used for a federal fort, as he had become fervently anti-slavery during the Texan War of Independence. The reason for his stance is not known, but the most commonly cited is the tale of how Houston’s life was saved by a slave during the battle for Austin. Houston later witnessed the slave get beaten to death for not being at work at the time he saved Houston’s life.

[6] – This number counts both Federals and Brigadiers, as Texas, despite the coverage given to it in newspapers and politics, was in fact a low-intensity rebellion blown way out of proportion by the attention it was given in the rest of the country.

------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Well, ‘tis time to announce your candidacies. The parties are: The Whigs, The Democrats and The SNP. Maximum 3 candidates. With your candidacy, give us your policies in 1-2 sentences.
Also, vote on the Davis Compromise. A simple yes or no will do.

As a final note, Mr. King, I'm really sorry the plan couldn't work out, but you managed to get Maryland and D.C.

Last edited:
Hello Again I am Colonel Thomas J.L. Davis of Georgia and as you already know my policies are, in a nutshell, to protect the south from those who would seek to violate our culture and our rights; in addition we wrote and therefore support the Davis Comprimise and support not abolition of slavery but the stopping of its related barbarisms. You can see more details on our policies at our Party Convention on Page 14.

I am Running for the SNP Nomination

Davis Compromise: Yes

Whig: John F. Cameron

I already threw my hat in, my policies include support of the Davis compromise, laisse-faire and free trade economics, the gradual ending of the Southern economy's reliance on slavery through private funded industrialisation, with the eventual hope of ending slavery completely, however we shall not force it upon the South. Great expansion of the US Navy to be among the best in the world. This country needs a President of co-operation not conflict if she is to survive, but also one who holds firm against foreign pressure.

Davis Bill: Yes

Sitting at his office, slowly reading the morning News, Senator Hensdale reads the troubling state of the nation as it stood right now. Only recently had this new, Southern-dominated party called the Southern National Party come into existence. Hensdale, a life-long Democrat and supporter of slavery abandoned the Democratic party after its disaster of losing the 1837 Presidential election.

He decided there, Hensdale would seek the nomination for President from the rising Southern National Party, coupled with his long-set connections to the Democratic Party, he was confident that he would be able to carry enough to be elected on a ticket of national unity, that favoured the status quo.

Senator Hensdale made his speech in Richmond, Virginia about his candidacy.

I am running for the SNP nomination in order to bring this country back together, and to avoid such a nasty conflict that Texas was. If elected, I pledge that I will uphold all the laws currently in effect in the United States. Though, I support slavery overwhelmingly, I propose that if elected, that all territories currently, and in the future, owned by the United States, with the exception of the Indian Territory and Florida, be free territories. I will also not support a "Fugitive Slave Act" while in office. I believe that this, is a great compromise and will bring the nation together.

God Save the United States!

John Hensdale, Southern National Party Senator from Virginia

Davis Compromise: Yes

I will seek relection. Bleeding Texas is obviously a sign that slavery will tear this nation apart, so it is better to kill the elephant now rather than later. I promise by the end of my term, the Armidillo Brigade will be crushed under the foot of our mighty army, and that Texas will be a shining example of the evemtual prosperity of a free state be. Only through our hard work will our nation truely become the land of free.

Davis Bill: Yes

...........................the Armidillo Brigade will be crushed under the foot of our mighty army...............................[/b]

Southerners! Will you tolerate this kind of Rhetoric in the White House? Vote SNP and we will protect you from the Whig Threat that seeks to cut us down using this nations Army! We also Urge all Southerners with a Firearm Produced in the past 20 years to join the SNM and protect our Freedom!

Southerners! Will you tolerate this kind of Rhetoric in the White House? Vote SNP and we will protect you from the Whig Threat!

It's not the Whig Party that's the problem, it's President King. If a more reasonable candidate got the Whig ticket...

It's not the Whig Party that's the problem, it's President King.

((Just Trying to whip up support, I think King is willing to try anything for re-election which is playing into my hands))

The Whig Threat has de facto become a Noun in the SNP party line that is a Synonym for the likes of President King and Cesar.

It has become apparent that the current president, and all other candidates, are not doing enough in their power to abolish the selling of other fellow human beings! As well, while President King may have aided in industrializing the Northern Areas of our country, he is not doing enough to aid the plight of the workers that keep the industry alive! I am running for the Whig Nomination, once again.

Davis Compromise: No.

My God. Have the spambots no decency? I've contacted the mods. Let's hope it'll be gone quick.

On a happier note, this is looking to be quite an interesting election.

My God. Have the spambot's no decency? I've contacted the mods. Let's hope it'll be gone quick.

On a happier note, this is looking to be quite an interesting election.

As have I. I was contacting Veldmarchaalik at the same time

Seeking Nomination from the Whig party. (Withdrawn from the race)

Daniel Gallatin: A Voice of Moderation in Troubled Times ((let's imagine he has a campaign song based on the same name, with period appropriate sappy lyrics))

I will support moderation in partisan and regionalist rhetoric, supporting the good of the Union as a whole. Federal interference in the rights of states on these important issues will be reduced. I support the Davis Compromise, but will seek to replace the arbitrary ratio of soldier numbers, which is damaging to all regions and to the national security, with support and focus on maintaining notable army and navy brigades from the south while not stifling the north or the west. In economic policy, I will continue the route to industrial prosperity that the King administration followed. When this dark night is over, we can climb into the hope of a new light and a new era of a more beautiful and wise Union.

Davis Bill: No.
Although I approve of its provision of reasonable compromise between the regions, I cannot on good conscience support a bill with such a gross clause of military hampering and useless damage to our national defense. I will support the compromise if this clause is removed.

Last edited:
...useless damage to our national defense. I will support the compromise if this clause is removed.

This is surprisingly true, as with the current population, we'd have to disband at least HALF the army in order to meet the 1:1 ratio. Perhaps, that little piece of information will make you change the clause into an alternative pro-South clause.

Also, the Whig spaces are thus filled, and the SNP have one space left. Democrats still open on all three.