• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately, the list is missing quite a few countries because it's not updated for Divine Wind. The fact it doesn't differentiate between real states and those that can only be created through release also make it fairly inconvenient to use when choosing a starting nation.

Oh right, I'll do a DW update. Still it should be mostly correct.

Rajputana -- very centralized for 1399, good quality, not too badly narrowminded.

French minors are ridiculous...many of them are fully Centralised!

Provence and Brittany in particular are also the largest and have the best sliders. Bar/Barrois is on a completely different level though. As far as I can remember it's one of, if not the best, set of sliders in the entire game. Yet they're doomed to almost always be eaten by Burgundy.
I am surprised that I did not post this here earlier: Navarra has better sliders, they start with -4 centra and +4 free trade, and other wise balanced sliders. They are also in a perfect position to colonize the New World... All in all a wonderful country.

Well I all depends, but if we count free trade best is navarra and holland - after great britain, but GB is not available at grand campaighn. But both lack aristocracy which is much better than plutocracy. Even a trading country does not get so much from plutocracy (+1 mechant, +2 spies and +5% TE and +25% cavalry cost vs +3 diplomats -25% cavalry cost -5% unit cost +1 leader shock) (Merchant chance, is not compete chance, it is placement chance which is anyway ussualy near 99% - so it is irrelevant). But as small countries don't have cash to build much army anyway, it does not matter for navarra. But for example swiss, which are max plutocratic, and have like 8 provinces(?) and can have decent army, lack of cavalry is quite bad.

Switzerland has good sliders as well, 'cept for the decentralization.

Nearly all countries start with mercantilist policies ... which can be good , but then you can't expect to compete in any CoT you don't own.
Maybe i'll try Pskov to see a republic of Russia :D

The ideal sliders for me at the end of the game is Full Centralization, Full Serfdom, full Aristocracy, full Narrowminded, Full Mercantilist, Full Offensive, Full Land, Full Quality, but that is because I like land powers. Unfortunately I don't like starting as large countries because they are boring, and small countries need Free Trade to make any money early. So I guess everything I listed but replace Free Trade. Navarra has very good sliders, but they are not in a good position to be a land power until they build up a base in the New world, so their land slider is a detriment to them.

Maya actually start with really solid sliders if it weren't in such a poor position, and in need of Inovative to westernize. It starts decentralized but it has a 0 in merc/ft so it can actually trade, full land/offensive.

Burgundy has really good sliders, and it has free trade. It just to big to be fun though imo.

One of the funniest sliders in the game though is Brabant. They are a landlocked nation that starts +1 on the land/naval focus.

Switzerland has good sliders as well, 'cept for the decentralization.

Well it is not free trade, but in the middle. And starts max plutocratic and max decentralized.

Also, they start offensive.

But on the plus side, they are max free subjects. But this means their army will cost them max price. Good for them, they start somehow land(Think about max naval, plutocratic, free subject nation... Infantry cost around 18 ducats?).

So i think compared to navarra, which starts with almost max free trade(thus still good, as can take monopoly decision, when they acquire a COT), they are no so good. Also, navarra is almost max centralized, quite defenisive, little free subject, land, quality, and a little narrowminded(which is not bad, as long as they go colonize). And navarra is not plutocratic, and only little aristocratic(so if you realy want to move this slider, you have only 6 moves to max pluto).

The value in Plutocracy is not the bonuses, but the spies. Mercantilism is useless until you get to the point where you've already won the game -- meaning if you go Free Trade, as you regularly should, you need Plutocracy to have any spies available.

I'd say Free Trade is the most powerful slider move in the game. It gives you income in the most important stage, near the beginning, in addition to the late game. This then necessaries moves towards Plutocracy to maintain spies without wasting a national idea. You need to make a choice between Free + Plu, or Merc + Aristo.

I'd say you should go for Free Trade each time unless you start off heavily mercantilistic. Then you may as well combo it with the excellent Aristocracy bonuses.

Well, don't overvalue spies. They can be usefull, but they are not nessecary, also using them, might drain your treasury, and having 0.2 spies yearly, ussualy is good enough. And later game, you can just make the gov buildings, to get spies, and, if enemy got much of gov buildings, they won't be much of use anyway.

Holland is exceptional. 4 free trade, centralised (relatively), 2 free subjects and 1 aristocracy. I believe Venice is another one but I would have to check
I'd say Free Trade is the most powerful slider move in the game. It gives you income in the most important stage, near the beginning, in addition to the late game. This then necessaries moves towards Plutocracy to maintain spies without wasting a national idea. You need to make a choice between Free + Plu, or Merc + Aristo
Totally agree with you there. After IN, mercentalism got a serious nerf to the point where it is no longer useful