• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, Bohemia literally offers itself to be a part of Prussia?

And wouldn't it be more logical to use the word 'gorod' than 'grad'.
Since I believe that the Russian word 'gorod' is the older version of the word city/town than grad, which is used in modern Slavic.
Bohemia and I had a pretty decent relationship, which is strange. In game I defended them from German minors once or twice. I apologize for not really describing the relationship we had with Bohemia earlier, but I try to make the AAR more coherent and with theme for each chapter.

As for grad/gorod, that is true. But the use of grad can be explained in one of two totally different reasons:
A) The Letts corrupted "gorod" into "grád" when they first adopted the word.
B) The word in old Anglo-Baltic was "gorád" and was eventually shortened into "grád"

:cool:

What it came down to is that I used "grád" because it was a quick loanword from Russian to throw in.

More updates! I demand more updates!

And apart from that, Norman attack? They fit the description of Old Enemies so...
I am working on it, working on it! I have school, man! ;)

The Normans might be on the horizon, but not in the way one might think.

An interesting mix between Greek letters and Arabic numerals.
I agree. Greek letters were adopted due to the religion being greek orthodox (to begin with) and the arabic numbers because our actual numbers are based off of them as well, plus at the time Arabia was a center for mathematical learning.

interesting! I like it! though I have to master the Alphabet... it is very interesting.

great update! it seems like the Gunvald era is coming to a close slowly.
Thank you, more lessons in the future, but probably only one a chapter or two.

Gunvald still has much to do. :cool:

You and your silly lives. I have school too but I can find time for both the forums, perfecting my "skillz" in Guitar Hero and playing paradox games. (At least until Dragon's Age and Mass Effect 2 come out.)

But I understand. Your AAR is good enough for the updates to be more or less frequent.

You and your silly lives. I have school too but I can find time for both the forums, perfecting my "skillz" in Guitar Hero and playing paradox games. (At least until Dragon's Age and Mass Effect 2 come out.)

But I understand. Your AAR is good enough for the updates to be more or less frequent.
Argh, I wish... I have no time to play guitar anymore...

Yeah... I still want to stick to one every week or so...

This is what I do instead of Math

Homelands
Chapter Seventeen: Shores of Destiny
Part 1

Prelude:
Russian rule in England left little room for Norman royalty. With France overrun with Muslim invaders and Ireland and Scotland off limits, the Normans had little where else to go. In the summer of 1177 a fleet of Norman transports appeared in the port of Memelbuhr. Their commander, Jordan de Normandie, entered the port under a flag of truce. It was no invasion, however, it was an honest truce. King Gunvald and the Duke-in-exile Jordan discussed a treaty of settlement for his people. Eventually Gunvald agreed to allow the Normans to settle the Azov region which had been nearly depopulated by the departing Cumans. Normans and Russians in the south, known as Wolga Normans and Azov Russians, would eventually become their own cultural group known as Azowian. The de Normandie dynasty quickly grew to become one of the most powerful families in the Prussian Kingdom. This set a precedent for future dynasties fleeing Islam to head toward Prussia for safety and settlement. In the future the de Normandies would be joined by German royalty, Danish royalty and Italian Royalty. But more importantly for Gunvald, the Normans would contribute much of the man power for his upcoming war against Crimea. Their right to settlement would cost them dearly, a payment in blood that would last for eternity.

Wolga-NormanSettlement.png

Settlement of the Wolga Normans

July 26th, 1177

"This is madness, you know this, right?!" Gunvald shouted. Before him sat a very demoralized Jordan de Normandie. "You sail into my ports after years of warfare and expect me to trust you and your people?"

"I know it sounds like lunacy, but you are truly our last hope to escape the tide of Islam. We were chased out of France, barred from Holland, barred from Saxony, barred from England... we have no where left to turn. We do not have enough people to fight a full-scale war. You Prussians, of all people, should know what that feels like. We are a people without a land." Jordan's voice was quiet, humble in many ways. He truly made the old King's sympathy rise up to the surface.

"You realize that Catholicism is banned in much of Prussia," he said, digging around for excuses, "You and your people would be in great danger."

"We'll convert! Open the doors to the cathedral and I will lead my people in prayer for our new savior and our new home!"

Gunvald was honestly taken back by this comment, it was so easy, they would give up anything to have a home. "Well then, if that be true I only have one task for you to prove your loyalty and your worth..."

"What is it? I'll do it! No problem!"

"I was a war for later this summer, but settling your people is a bigger issue. I will push back the date of the war until next summer, you and your people will assist in the war. What you conquer is yours as my vassal. What you conquer, your people have the sole right to settle with complete protection." Gunvald said.

"Thank you! O, thank you!" Jordan grabbed Gunvald's hand and kissed it. Gunvald led him out back into Marienscír where the other counts and nobles of the Norman royalty waited. Lines formed at the church as the Normans converted to Prussian Orthodoxy. For many it was a heartbreaking occasion. The loss of their religion would hang heavily on many Normans for decades, but as the next generation of Normans were born on their new soil that feeling died away. Gunvald saw to it that they had rights to settle the Azov region. Jordan de Normandie was crowned Prince of Azov and they were led to their settlement by the Prussian army under the command of Sviendorog.

King Gunvald warned his son to not give them much trust to soon, but also warned him to not treat them as inferiors. They would be key to rebuilding the population of the region. But with his son once again on the march and Prussia gearing up for another war, Gunvald turned his attention back to the domestic issues. The biggest was the Bohemian princess that he was now responsible for. Lupold, Bozislava's bodyguard, had taken a great interest in Valikaila's training. It was something that Sviendorog found detestable, but tried to resist verbally assaulting the Bohemian.

Bohemia.png

Bohemia with its neighbors in 1177

Bozislava was in the library with Meinekinus. The younger son of Sviendorog had become a major book worm, the monks were teaching him Czech so that he could communicate with the girl and her guard. He was friendly, but quiet. When Gunvald found them Meinekinus was burying himself into an old Roman work recently recovered.

"Grandfather, have you ever hear of Cato?" he asked.

"No, Meine, I have not."

"He reminds me of you. He wanted Rome to destroy Carthage, he would end all his speeches with 'and we must destroy Carthage.'" Gunvald gave the small boy a smile and rubbed his hair.

"I take pride in thoroughness."

"I know, grandfather." Meinekinus put his face back into the book.

"Bozislava, I assume you are comfortable."

"Yes, your majesty, thank you."

Gunvald enjoyed her presence. She was polite and kind and brought a sort of civility to the court that was previously missing. "Well if there is anything you want, please make me or the maids aware of it."

"Actually, are there any girls I can play with?"

The old King smiled, "Unfortunately, no. Currently only me, Sviendorog and his grandsons live here besides you and Lupold." She seemed very unhappy at this but tried to hide it behind a friendly smile. Peace was blossoming in Prussia and Gunvald vowed that Crimea would be the last target for a while. He wanted Sviendorog to take power in an era of peace so that it would be easier for him. Moreover, he wanted Sviendorog to take responsibility for the peace. His reign was one of war, let the General's be one of peace. The irony was not lost on Gunvald.

Growing tired he worked his way over to a chair and sat down and let sleep slowly take hold. But it was denied to him as a clearing of the throat called his attention elsewhere. He opened his eye a crack and saw the Patriarch.

"Your highness, we are preparing to send another wave of missionaries into the Baltic region."

"Okay...?" the King sighed.

"You wanted to know how much resistance was met."

"Yes, but I doubt you will have much resistance here in the capital." The patriarch nodded and left the room. Gunvald yawned and then closed his eyes again and went back to his nap. Ruling the Kingdom could be put on hold for an hour or two.

Last edited:
Interesting, but I did notice in my games that the Russian culture tends to take over the world.

Good update, we get more weird cultures around!
I think it is because the number of Russian princes who are later displaced as the Russian principalities fall apart. Usually I will see a Russian Roman Empire (especially in Bulgaria) as well as anything else Orthodox.

Homelands
Chapter Seventeen: Shores of Destiny
Part 2

Prelude:
The war over Crimea was a low-point for Prussia-Roman relations. Both nations had claims over the region. As it stood the Crimean Kingdom was a Greek break-away state from the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire under the Palaiologos dynasty began to expand after years of decline. The capture of Alexandria was the biggest turn in support of the Christians in a long time. But Orthodoxy and Catholicism began to see each other as much of enemies as the Muslims. The two sides, spurred on by such events as the attempted German take-over of Bohemia (a Prussian ally), the failed Crusade against Jerusalem, Orthodoxy's lack of support of Christians in the Infinite War, Prussia's truce with the Western Caliph, the take-over of England, and the Roman blockade of Sicily during the Italo-Roman War of 1130. In general the East's lack of sympathy toward the West was causing the two to divide further and further. Between 1170 and 1180 there was a minor turning around of the Infinite War. In Italy the Italians were able to secure the Kingdom of Italy once again with Papal assistance. In France the Royal Catholic Army was able to push the Caliph out of Toulouse. The County of Edessa in the Holy Land was the only remains of the brief Catholic Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Temple. These small successes were slowly slipping away as the front against Islam grew too large for Western Europe to survive.

August 4th, 1178

Jordan de Normandie and Sviendorog Leofricson had become a odd couple culturally, but together they had triumphed over Crimea. But now a bigger issue was at hand. The Roman Army was also in Crimea trying to secure the break-away state. Now 16,000 Prussians and Normans were camped only a mile from 12,000 Romans. Jordan, like most of the Normans, was psyched up for another battle, another war. Sviendorog was apprehensive. He had sent letters to his father explaining the position weeks ago but had yet to hear back, without an answer he would have to take over the Prussian delegation.

"Why do we not just slaughter the all of them? This is all rightful territory of Prussia!"

"Because the Romans are one of our only allies, we cannot isolate ourselves from their support. Plus this really isn't legitimately our land this far south. We are in Taurica, this is Greek territory." Jordan seemed displeased with this reply. He was young and shaven making Sviendorog look much older than he was.

Sabe entered their tent with a bow, "Your majesty, the Roman general," he stepped aside revealing a well-dressed, well mannered man in a purple cloak "His majesty, Grand Prince Michael Palaiologos." After Michael stepped into the tent, Sabe took his place at the tent flap to ensure their safety.

The two princes stood toe to toe, in many ways they were very similar. Both were military geniuses; both were heirs to the most powerful empires in Europe. But Michael was nearing his fifties, almost fifteen years older than Sviendorog. He was also a well-known flirt, the life of parties and a powerful drinker. "Brother, we seem to be fighting over the same table scraps here," Michael said. He referred to Sviendorog as 'brother' though they were really second cousins.

"We are, but if it is good enough for Rome, it is good enough for Prussia."

"What brings you so far south?"

"Map error, probably. That and enthusiastic soldiers, you know how it is."

Michael laughed heartily, "I do, brother, I do. It is no matter, then. Father wants me to patch this boarder up and be done with it." Michael pointed to the map with an open hand, "Shall we?"

"Yes." Sviendorog led him over to the map where Michael placed a finger at their current location.

"My father has requested the line be here." He dragged his finger across the map connecting two shores of an isthmus several miles to the north. "Is this a problem?" he asked genuinely. His brow showed his concern for the current position of the two nations.

"I have no authority to say so, but what my father doesn't know cannot hurt him. I agree. We can draw the boundary there." Sviendorog pulled at his beard. "Even so, we have a large number of people moving into the region, it is likely they will attempt to settle in Taurica."

CrimeanKingdom.png

Red: Region conquered and annexed by Prussia; Purple: Region conquered and annexed by the Roman Empire; Magenta: Region conquered by Prussia and annexed by the Roman Empire.

"I don't see a problem with that. With the exception of Theodosia in the south the region is basically depopulated." Michael frowned. He sat down and looked at Sviendorog. "I've heard talk that parts of Germany are headed to Prussia for protection."

Sviendorog nodded, "Yeah, Bohemia specifically."

Michael turned and looked at Jordan. "And who is this?" he asked.

"I am Jordan de Normandie, Prince of Azov," Jordan gave a slight bow, "Our people are attempting to settle this region after being expelled from France."

"I've heard that northern France recently took the brunt of Muslim agression."

"You would have heard right, they managed to burn parts of Paris in their raids."

"Horrific."

"I was there, luckily the Muslims had the peace of mind to evacuate people. There were few casualties. That is why I left France. I realized then that the war was lost. People saw the Caliph as merciful, kind, protecting... and our King as evil and manipulating. When the people support the invaders over their protectors there is little the protector can do."

"Strange, but it seems as if that can be a powerful tactic. I guess you catch more flies with sugar than shit."

"Actually," Sviendorog said, "That isn't true, I tested it once as a child." Jordan and Michael turned and looked at Sviendorog intently. "I left sugar in the stables, flies still prefer shit."

"Regardless, you catch more people with sugar than shit, and the Caliph has definitely made his mark in France. I have a feeling that in the next few years France will have little left," Michael said.

Jordan nodded, "It is probably happening as we speak, when I had left French victories in Toulouse were being undone, Paris is probably under siege again. This time the King will not be able to hold on to it."

World.png

Europe in 1175

Wait, north-east of Mordvins the lands are prussian?

Edessa is that large? :confused::eek:

Roman Empire has survived quite well! :eek:
No, pagan tribes... colour is supposed to be brown not red...

Edessa got pretty damn big. I am working off memory, at one point it controlled much of what is today Iraq.

It has, mostly with my help. ;)

Now it's time to conquer the Mordvins and divide Hungary between the Romans and yourself.

And why do you attack east? No one is going to conquer those pagans so why not fortify your western border by taking a chunk of Germany?
Attacked east (instinctively) to defend against a mongol threat that never arrived thanks to the Mordvins. Justified as not "gamey" as they were non-Christian.
EDIT: Also the Turks started getting big and I wanted to stop their expansion into Russia (I'd rather the Mordvins behind me than the turks).

Hungary... I think you shall enjoy my devious plans there. :cool:

Germany, though divided, is still a tough nut to crack. Lots of income, lots of troops.

Last edited:
I hope this will work as well as it looks like, apparently Catholicism is losing.

In a game of mine, I completely eradicated everything non-Christen, it is apparent you are doing what I did, just with Catholicism.

And "saving" christians from muslim invaders is gamey?
Those lots of income could come in handy.
Don't worry, I move into Germany eventually. ;)

I hope this will work as well as it looks like, apparently Catholicism is losing.

In a game of mine, I completely eradicated everything non-Christen, it is apparent you are doing what I did, just with Catholicism.
I enjoyed watching Catholicism falter, but it was never eradicated. Eventually since there were very few Catholic countries left and all of them were spread out and divided, I just basically said that Catholicism splintered and ceased to be.

Hey guys, just a few few announcements:

First I almost had an update for today, blame signals and structures for it not being posted.

Secondly, I have mostly committed to moving this mod over to the new version of MEIOU. I have my reasons, most are personal, some are legitimate, it mostly boils down to I love Gilles' (gigau's) commitment to the mod, the map is nothing short of stunning, and I have never been a fan of MM. I have plenty of time to move things over, I am only at 1179 in this part of the AAR. ;)

Thirdly: we are almost to 20k views!
(<^_^<)
(>^_^>)
(<^_^<)

Hey guys, just a few few announcements:

First I almost had an update for today, blame signals and structures for it not being posted.

*drools even more*

Secondly, I have mostly committed to moving this mod over to the new version of MEIOU. I have my reasons, most are personal, some are legitimate, it mostly boils down to I love Gilles' (gigau's) commitment to the mod, the map is nothing short of stunning, and I have never been a fan of MM. I have plenty of time to move things over, I am only at 1179 in this part of the AAR. ;)

Thanks, Sir. It is an honor.

Thirdly: we are almost to 20k views!
(<^_^<)
(>^_^>)
(<^_^<)

Congratz ! It's well deserved.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for welcoming the Normands :D