• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I would've voted but I forgot to, and this AAR has had less prevalence for me as of late.))

Have you been cheating on us? :D

Is it Shadow of the Andes? It is! Isn't it!?

In all seriousness, I'm sad to hear you didn't have the time to vote. As for Jarvis' vote. My sheet says he got one, so I'll assume he got one.

PS. I've updated Harrison's bio in full now. No really relevant info, except the reason why none of you can be Richest Man on Earth in 1930. :D

I would be more than pleased to have you as my Vice Presidential nominee, Mr. Garrett! Hopefully, America will see that a return to peace and prosperity is just what this nation needs!

FYI, If you are a presidential candidate, I would really appreciate if your main concern right now was getting a VP and Platform to me, before checking what's going on in Shadow of the Andes.

((Mine's going to be largely the same, just minor edits and a revamp of the Cuba segment))

((Happy November, Gents, ... been reading this for some time now and was wondering if you would not be opposed to another member joining...))

((Happy November, Gents, ... been reading this for some time now and was wondering if you would not be opposed to another member joining...))

Not at all. :)

Character:

J.P Dumont

Name: J.P. Dumont
DOB: March 15, 1850
Party: Independent
Ideology: Libertarian - Moderate
Office: Senator from Illinois
Hometown: New Orleans, Louisiana
Residence: Chicago, IL
Issues: Laissez-Faire, Full Citizenship, Protectionism, Local Power, Social Liberalism, Economic Conservatism, Imperialism

Bio:
One of the wealthiest families in the United States, the Dumont family earned its fortunes more due to, than in spite of, the Civil War, by producing and selling Gunpowder to first the Confederates, based out of New Orleans, before defecting to the US and moving their operations up to Chicago. J.P., grandson of the family Capitalist-patriarch, after graduating from the University of Chicago (endowed by the Dumont family), is the first member to enter politics. His status as an independant candidate is made possible by his vast family fortune to finiance his campaign rather than turning to one of the Parties for support. Reinforcing this Independance, during his tenure in the Senate he has voted on both sides of the aisle, depending on the issue...

Last edited:
So, Mr. Dumont, you're closer to a moderate, right? Because most Democrats aren't free marketers, sadly. I support the only major difference between us would be our views on foreign policy, though we all support, more or less, our new acquisitions having immediate plebiscites to determine their future.

((It's good to see a new face around here... welcome to Presidential Island!!!))

Why, Yes... I believe so, ... and it is a pity that there are not more Americans who realize the value of the Free Market, upon which the wealth of this great nation was built...

((Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to it! Also please enjoy my updated bio, ... sorry couldn't get the portrait to work right, if anyone knows something...))

*Addressing Callahan in private*

Mr. President,

In the event that Mr. Walker is unavailable...

My Father was always a financial supporter of the New Democrats, and while those familiar with my Senatorial record would know I do not agree to everything the New Democrats support in the Legislature, I have stood by in those cases where I feel America is best served - more often than not with the Democrats - and feel I could 'balance' your ticket well, as a vice Presidential candidate, with the support of the Capitalists of the United States behind us...

- Senator John Pierre Dumont of Illinois

((Also - BBB, any chance we can get a copy of your savegame out of curiousity? It'd be nice to check out all the little details of the station of the nation live...))

Last edited:
(( One Oliver Glynn - ever heard of him? BBB's announcement and the fact that i had been incommunicado for a while made me feel like I had to rush in my platform, not realizing the others were tarrying as well. I apologize for not running it by you beforehand and can ask someone else to step up if you wish to decline. ))

The Presidential Election of 1881

In 1881, the purpose of the United States came into question. The argument swirled around the maelstrom of isolationism and expansion, with Cuba and the Philippines at its epicenter. In the Republican camp, isolationism and experience won out in the end. Once again, the party proved the increasing slant away from the liberal roots of its youth, and nominated 78-year old Henry Jarvis. Many of their opponents decided to dismiss Jarvis as having one foot in the grave.
The great story was thus the final breakup of the Federal-Democratic bloc. Callahan’s decision to form the Cuban government-in-exile had led to a large number of Federal congressmen refusing to continue the mutual support pact that had let most of Callahan’s legislation through. In July 1880, Oliver Glynn, acting as spokesman for the party, officially declared that the coalition was over, and the Federal Party would host its own National Convention.
For the Democrats, the choice was simple. They disregarded the Federal Party as a minor group of adventurers and cowboys, who would not gain the presidency at any rate, and simply nominated Callahan, who picked Walker as his VP. In the Federal primary, Cuban liberty was the word of the day.

bridgeworthy.jpg

1. Federal Candidate Josaiah Bridgeworthy.​

Bridgeworthy was an ardent supporter of commonwealth. Many accused him of simply espousing a slightly different view of states’ rights, which was ever-increasingly being blamed for the civil war. Bridgeworthy however, was adamant that his policies were a separate entity, based on the common good and ease of legislation, and not “the ridiculous notion of the Union being a puppet to its states”.

Policies/Candidates of 1881

Election Manifesto of the Federal Party
federalparty.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Josaiah T. Bridgeworthy
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Oliver E. Glynn

The Commonwealth Platform of 1881:
- Always uphold universal franchise and equality before the law
- Unfailingly defend the popular sovereignty of the states and the municipalities within
- Be ever faithful to direct democracy, and the power of the people to hold referendums on public policy at a local and state level and to recall their elected officials at any time
- Be a constant ally of free speech, free assembly, and free inquiry; and constant foes to partisanship, censorship, and biased journalism
- Pursue and encourage a cooperative commonwealth where the economy serves the community

Economic Policy:
- Free Trade
- Graduated income tax

Foreign Policy:
- Diplomatic and military campaign for the liberation of American and Pacific colonies of the old French regime or that deposed regime's allies
- Full cooperation and support for the Commonwealth we have with Great Britain

Other:
- Decentralization of the FBI into several autonomous regional commands
- Legislative act that guarantees and standardizes the process for local and state-wide popular referendums and recall elections at any time in a term of elected officials

Election Manifesto of the Democratic Party
democraticparty.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Eamon Callahan
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Joseph Walker​

Cabinet Invitations:

Secretary of State: Sec. Glynne (F-CA)
Secretary of the Treasury: Sen. Dumont (I-IL)
Secretary of War: Sec. Bridgeworthy (F-WA)
Secretary of the Navy: Andrew Garrett (R-VA)
Secretary of Agriculture and Commerce: Justice Jarvis (R-CA)
Secretary of the Interior: Sec. Khur (F-OH)

Philippine Policy:
The policy of the Philippines will ideally be decided by the Free Philippines
Act*.
Should the Act fail to pass through Congress, we will immediately withdraw
volunteer forces from the Philippines and regular armed forces will be
withdrawn within 6 months. During the 6 months the marine garrison will
oversee free elections of an independent government.

((*The Free Philippines Act mandates a plebiscite to decide Statehood or
Independence))

Cuba Policy:
I promise that within 6 months the United States armed forces will withdraw
from the Cuban Territory. Within 6 months of the withdrawal, a plebiscite will
be held per the Cuban Liberty Act*. The Territorial government will be
assisted in maintaining free polling by the FBI.

((*The Cuban Liberty Act has mandated that a plebiscite be held to allow the
populace to decide between an independent republic, a semi-autonomous
republic and statehood in the U.S.))

Economic & Financial Policy:
I support Free-Trade as the backbone of a strong economy. An upper limit of
1% on tariffs is the new goal of my administration.
Taxes will be set at the progressive rate of 2% lower for the poor and 2%
higher for the wealthy at a rate that covers the budget and allows us to build
up a £100,000 safety net. After that goal is reached we will seek to keep taxes
reasonable.
Administration, Social, Military and Education funding will remain at full
levels.

Foreign & International Policy:
The President has drafted legislation to codify accepted practices in foreign
policy and will seek to push the Defence Acts through Congress.

The fledgling 2nd French Republic needs American assistance to avoid
complete domination by the Germans and/or the military coup by reactionary
generals. I will pledge American funds and materiel to the Republican
government to offset the support the Germans are receiving from the British.
The Commonwealth was established by my administration and the present
British government and I will seek to use those channels to convince the British
that the balance of power is more important than petty animosity or
opportunism. I am confident a peace can be mediated. To that end I will
charge my Vice-President Walker as well as the Ambassador to the UK to
facilitate negotiations directly from London and Brussels.

We will work to ensure the stricter protection of the Americas from European
influence.
We will dissolve all alliances and defence pacts with non-democratic
governments.
We will make no entangling alliances with major powers.

Domestic Policy:
We will devote the resources freed up from counter-insurrection to train new
Cuban administrators and law enforcement officials to replace the vice regal
regime and to contain any residual militancy or unrest.
We will promote technical schools in the most populous southern states to
train the mostly underprivileged rural population to become clerks. Should
this prove successful it could then move westward into less developed states.

Election Manifesto of the Republican Party
republicanpartypic.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Henry Jarvis
Vice-Presidential Candidate:

Cuba, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and all Territories:
President Callahan said he would call an immediate plebiscite for all the territories we acquire in a war with Spain. He has begun the process in the Philippines, and for that I applaud him. However, he has completely ignored Puerto Rico, and our smaller acquisitions. Cuba, though, has been a travesty. Rather than beginning the process, he has instead decided to fill the new Cuban government with his American cronies, a breeding ground of favouritism, corruption, and nepotism. His explanations are inadequate, since he promised to free Cuba from the shackles of Spanish Imperialism, not subject it to the will of the American Empire! This policy must end at once! And under my administration, I will have that vote within my first one-hundred days in office. We cannot continue this serfdom, this complete and utter ignorance of the rights of all men, and call ourselves a force for liberty.

Economic Policy:
Under President Mandrake’s administration, we witnessed rapid growth and prosperity. I will continue in those successful policies; not only that, I will expand them, and create a system built on a flat tax, a low tariff, and support for businessmen and farmers.

My policies of low taxes and tariffs will continue such energetic, rapid, economic growth, spurring investment, industrialization, innovation, and trade. I will not raise taxes, unless war is declared upon us!

My administration will be supportive of free-market capitalism, unburdened from excessive government interference, unlawful, unconstitutional intrusion, just as the Founders intended! The People, not the State, not the Bureaucracy, will decide the direction of the market!

Social Policy:
I have consistently argued against government interference in both the market and in individual affairs. My social policy will be based around the Constitution; that is, based around the states, private initiative, the market, charity. It is not the responsibility of the federal government. My administration will gradually move existing social programmes over to the states, to foundations, to charities, and the like, and the increased revenue we will enjoy will be used to further lower taxes to incentivize growth.

I believe in self-determination, in individual responsibility. I do not believe the State should, or even could, ensure a standard of living; on the basis of whether it should or not, the individual should take care of himself. Benjamin Franklin, one of this country’s greatest thinkers, said that all men have a right to pursue happiness, but they must catch it for themselves. I will follow in that tradition, that men are responsible for themselves, and government will not be their nanny, their father, or their caretaker. As for the government being able to ensure that standard of living, I ask you this: when has government been efficient? When has government proven to be more effective than the market or the individual? Outside of the areas proscribed to the government in the Constitution, never.

Before my opponents begin to decry my ‘cold-heartedness,’ I do not believe we should let a man starve; I believe that his fellow citizens, those who wish to see the world live in peace, prosperity and freedom, will help him. Not only that, I have no problem with the states creating a welfare system.

I ask you this, in conclusion, should a man in New York pay for a man in California? Why cannot that other man rely on his friends, neighbours, relations, or on the state system; why must he become enslaved to the charity of the State?

Overall Foreign Policy:
My opponents support for interfering in European affairs, advocating of nation-building, and interest in entangling alliances will lead to our downfall! We will become intrinsically linked, bound by contract, obliged by aid, to go to war, tossing aside thousands of young American men, and millions of civilians, scarred, injured, or hurt by conflict. Who knows how many people will be affected by war?

I support non-interventionism, which my opponent tries to misconstrue as 'isolationism,' 'xenophobic,' 'and 'backward.' I will tell you war is backwards! Interventionism will lead to forced isolationism! It will lead to death! To bloodshed! To poverty! To suffering!

I support friendly relations with all nations, free trade with all people, but I do not want to become bound by entangling alliances and tenuous obligations! I will not enter wars of folly!

Shall we adhere to the principle that power comes from the rule of law? Or that it comes from the barrel of a gun? Shall we transform our nation into an Empire, mighty and tyrannical, or shall we return to liberalism, peace, and freedom.

----------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Free Philippines Act goes to an aye/nay/abstain vote.

PS. 366 days since I joined Paradoxplaza!

Members of the Federal Party and our supporters, at this next election I think we have the greatest chance of seeing a true progressive entering the White House since the Libertarian near-miss of 1869. Our party has provided the voice of justice and reason on the issue of Cuba, our economic policies are sound and sustainable, and we are the party that most solidly stands with the common people of this nation, and we shall do so always. That conviction runs through the veins of every Federal policitian, and it's why you should vote for us so we may guide this country to its true role in the world; as a bastion of freedom, happiness and prosperity.

FPA: Aye

Last edited:
I am forced to Abstain this election, for I cannot support the destruction of the FBI by my fellow Federalists ((which is one of the principles of the party)) and I cannot support the horrendous foreign policy of the Democrats. I will never support the hated French, whether or not they are a Republic.

To remind Americans of what the meat on the bones of our platform would look like in a Bridgeworthy administration, I cite my previous statements during the primary campaign:
- Plebiscite for Cuba ASAP upon my entrance into office and if they vote for independence rather than semi-autonomy or statehood, offering to sponsor their entry into the Commonwealth.
- Pursuing friendship with the current French government while liberating the colonies of the previous French government - the quicker we do this, the cleaner the cut, the brighter the future of France and Franco-American relations will be.

Other than that, the Commonweal Doctrine demonstrates the values I stand for (and, given the limits of how much legislation/specific policies you can burden poor BBB with in this game, it is a handy way for him to flavor the update should I be elected; as issues come up he can use my handily gathered viewpoints to know what I would choose to do in a given situation that comes up during the game, which works just as well for when for the good of the game he must choose otherwise and thus will be able to portray that as one of the times the president lost a legislative battle or was forced to compromise on the issue).

I would also point out it is my belief that stating cabinet positions before an election is not a good policy to have; despite the best intentions it can be seen as unseemly for the electoral process.

I would also like to thank Governor Glynn for those kind words.