• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Presidential Election of 1853

Contrary to what was expected, the talking point of the primaries of 1852 was not predominantly slavery, but shared with the question of continued international action. The debate on whether America should continue to intervene in the affairs of the world centered on the situation of Cuba. This small island off the coast of Florida had been a Spanish possession since the 1500s, but there was now a significant movement for independence.
The movement was created by the Spanish Empire’s troubles after the Napoleonic Wars. As the Iberian Peninsula closed in on itself in an attempt to heal the damage done by French and British war making, the overseas possessions of these nations received increasingly smaller amounts of attention and money. In Cuba, this was especially prevalent, as by 1852 the Spanish government funded naught but the military attachment operating out of Havana.
In both the Democratic and Whig Primaries, the candidates spoke mostly of slavery while the corridors around them erupted with talk of intervention in Cuba. The Whigs reminded each other that the last mission for freedom had cost their party the presidency [1] and thousands of American lives. In the Democratic convention, there was even talk of making Cuba a new slave state, to counterbalance the addition of the Rio Grande a free states.

zacharytaylorpicture.jpg

1. Andrew Fender, the man who proposed the idea of “The State of Cuba”.​

The idea of an annexation of Cuba never took off, and as the balloting came closer, the talk moved ever closer to slavery and the South. The talk in both conventions of curbing the SNM shocked General Davis and former members of the SNP deeply, and was the catalyst for an idea which would come to dominate the 1850’s. This idea, brought on by fear of Northern intervention with the SNM leading to abolition, was that of secession [2].
The Whig primary was won by the man who had four years earlier been the Vice Presidential candidate to James Kerr. Jeremiah Brass believed fully that curbing the SNM was necessary, but did not go so far as to conform entirely to the South’s fear that this would lead to abolition. Brass also ended the Whig Party as it was known by running under a new name, one which would eventually shape American Politics more than the Whig Party before it. The Democratic Party was left with no choices but the incumbent president when General Davis withdrew from the race after suffering from a bout of ill health on the second day of the convention.

[1] – Many Whigs believed that the loss in 1849 was caused by a backlash against the Mexican-American War, although popular opinion, contemporary newspapers and other historical sources have proven this assumption to be wrong.

[2] – There was of course, talk of civil war much earlier than 1852, but the idea that it could possibly be more than simply a battle for control of the federal government only emerged in the winter of 1852-3.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1853

The Election Manifesto of the National Republican Party*
brassg.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Jeremiah Brass
Vice Presidential Candidate: Sebastian Carr​

Other Appointments:
John Boozeman Kerr - Secretary of State
The recently retired Senator Nightmore - Secretary of the Interior
Congressman Ignacio Vallejo - Secretary of Citizenship
Colonel Max Mandrake - to be promoted to Brig. General (Militia) and appointed head of the National Militia

Departmental changes:
The establishment of a Department of the Interior to oversee the use and maintenance of public lands
The establishment of a Department of Citizenship to oversee immigration, documentation, and manage Native affairs
The elimination of the Department of the South
The dissolution of the Southern National Militia back into state militias
The creation of a unified National Militia, led by Colonel Max Mandrake; who is to be promoted to Brig. General (Militia)

Legislative agenda:
The Citizenship Act: Full suffrage to all male and female citizens of 20 or more years, with those same rights applying to the offspring of free people who are born in the US or territories held by the US. The Natives and other residents born after this act is passed will, when they reach 20 years, have full voting rights if they are non-felons in good standing with their taxes.
The Liberty Act: A repeal of the ban on abolition, this law will secure the right of Congress and the Federal government to discuss, issue statements, bring before the courts, and consider legislation related to the issue of slavery.

Interventionist economic policy and free foreign trade
Maintain highest levels (within the interventionist restrictions) of education, health, and social spending
With the above in mind, pursue industrialization and the construction of rail-roads to the best of our abilities to do so in a fiscally responsible way.
No new social reforms at this time.

Gradual plan to modernize and expand the navy
Gradual plan to expand fortification gradually in waves - the first wave focusing on borders, coastline, and the capital

Establish trade and good relations with the Kingdom of Hawaii and look to create economic outposts throughout the Pacific
Supporting democratic governments across the Americas and establishing a doctrine against European interference in the affairs of American nations
Staying out of European entanglements and wars of colonial expansion

*By the will of the Whig convention, the Presidential Candidate is running as a National Republican, in honor of John Quincy Adams and the other founders of the Whig Party.

The Election Manifesto of the Democratic Party
walsh.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Eldud Walsh
Vice Presidential candidate: Nicholas Gafferty

Americans, four years ago I promised you I would do all I could to preserve the Union, and now, for four years the Union has been, though I admit it has come closer to splitting than I would have liked, preserved. There are many who say I should take a side in this argument and let civil war take its course, but I am not willing to see innocent people die and war rack this great country of ours without attempting to stop it. I will stand by my policies
Policies:

Economy:
“More effort needs to be made on preventing mass-produced american goods from being exported instead of industrially produced in our country, and also to prevent said goods be wasted. Thus, we would enact a State Capitalist economic policy. Priority would be given to unsold goods produced in America, counteracted by building factories to take up demand, as shall occur with exported goods. This will also improve our employment situation.”
That was my platform last year, and improvement has occurred, but still more effort needs to be made to safeguard American goods and jobs.

Military:
Our army has expanded enough, but we should still press ahead with naval expansion, to make false the truth that has governed us for forty years and more, that “Britannia rules the waves”.

Foreign policy:
We should do all we can to make the new World our sphere of influence, and be very particular about the Monroe Doctrine, as Europeans still hold some weight in the Americas.
Also, if in an authoritarian dictatorship a revolt occurs of people not willing to live without the basic human right to vote any more, then I would declare war on that country and send troops to help overthrow the dictatorship. Once the capital fell I would make peace and withdraw troops from the country.

Slavery:
On the slavery front our main aim would be attempting to prevent tensions from being inflamed.

Infrastructure:
We shall encourage in any way possible business elite of our country to build a great transcontinental railroad. It would be a truly momentous achievement for our nation, and would gain us much prestige.

- Eldud Walsh, President of the United States

-------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

None as far as I know. VOTE.

I shall Abstain from voting for this election, as I cannot condone the disbanding of the SNM proposed by the Whigs or the creation of a National Militia under Colonel Mandrake, but I too cannot support the continued "preventing of tensions" over the slavery debate proposed by our current acting President.

The demise of the Whig party and the formation of the Republican party is fitting, truly this shows how the values of the old Whig guard are gone. Until the nation returns to normalcy, I will become an independent in order to align with the best interests of the nation over party politics. My eager protege Benjamin Bechman is trying to rally support in New York for a Republican landslide, but there is still respect for a unionist in the senate.

I vote Eldud Walsh for President

I General Davis Abstain from this election. I cannot support or be complicit in the acts championed by Mr. Brass that may lay the foundation for the opression of the Southern People, like the dissolution of the SNM or the Dissolution of the Cabinet Department of the South, or the Freedom Act which seeks to force abolition on southerners before they are ready for it. At the same time I cannot condone another Term of Economic Mismanagement and Rioting under Walsh. Therefore as I have stated, I must Abstain from this election.

Edit: ((Have I been cabinet Secretary of the South nonstop since its establishment? I mean I was never replaced so....))

((Has the Whig Party officially changed it's name to the National Republican Party, permanently?))

Yes.

Wow. A lot of abstains. The first Presidential abstains. Quite an interesting election.

((Are you going to represent the abstainees as faithless/unpledged electors?))

((Are you going to represent the abstainees as faithless/unpledged electors?))

((I doubt it, he probably recognizes that our choices are Bad and Worse Respectively. I havent decided yet whose bad and whose worse))

((I just thought it'd be interesting if a couple of electoral votes went to someone completely unexpected, if it had no change on the actual outcome.))

((I just thought it'd be interesting if a couple of electoral votes went to someone completely unexpected, if it had no change on the actual outcome.))

((A Number of electors going rougue? It actually seems like a possibility and being a "rougue" elector was legal during this period. Who would they vote for though, maybe Davis?))

((A sort of Constitutional Union style party (in its combination of members of different parties who felt ignored by both, not in its ignoring of the slavery issue) or the Know Nothings - although the name's meaning would have to be changed to some other significance?

You guys should nominate that one general non-player character - Young? I doubt the main electable figures of the dissatisfied parties - Davis and Cameron - would be compromise-ish enough for the diverse group to rally around))

For President, I vote Jeremiah Brass and the National Republican Party

((The fun part is no matter whos elected with this number of abstains can be seen as a illegitimate president due to ridiculously low turnout. can't wait to see how BBB writes that in))

((The fun part is no matter whos elected with this number of abstains can be seen as a illegitimate president due to ridiculously low turnout. can't wait to see how BBB writes that in))

I'll incorporate it somehow, maybe the third candidate idea, but the legitimate candidate with more votes will become president. Presidentials are not aye/nay/abstain, but vote for your canidate. When you say abstain, it is not like abstaining from a bill, it is like an eligible voter deciding to stay at home and drink beer instead of go to the ballot.