• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you El Presidente. As Minister of Church and Culture I will go with the times and try to assimilate the Indians in the southern provinces with "the carrot" as they say, rather than the stick, now that the largest Church estates have been broken up among the peasants in that, my home, region. It is the 19th century, we must all show Republican character, no? There is no reason that modern constitutionalism and the spirit of strong tradition cannot be successfully blended.

"On the matter wether Captain Alvarez may retain his position as Admiral of the Chilean Navy, I will give the Minister of War the power to decide wether or not this should happen. Whatever he decides he has my blessing as el Presidente of Chile."

- President Romano

I congratulate Sen. Romano on his apparent victory. I hope he will consider my Democracy Act as a way to implement his policies on religion and immigration. I am open to any changes he wishes to make to the proposal and will proudly sponsor the bill in the Congresso.

Senator Francisco Rivera

"I see nothing wrong with this proposal, and I shall gladly vote for it once you decide to sponser it, Senator!"

- El Presidente

Also, I - uh - might let you vote on the National Heroes Act but it won't apply OOC >.>
((It wasn't serious, just encouraging everyone to stop confusing me by using Romano and Roseno interchangeably))

((we don't even have ships, so I presume that the interim leaders of the fleet would not wish to keep the veteran and potentially higher ranking Alvarez from resuming leadership))

((I was under the impression that there was some ship(s) built last term, which was why I assumed there'd be a vacant command, given that you were likely going to be stripped of rank. Can TH clarify our Naval capability? It seems pretty poor if Chile has no ships, they pretty much wipe out the Argentinians in any war they have a navy.))

"Although I have been on holiday, and have thus missed the election and the cabinet formation, I congratulate Senor Romano on his victory and I hope that he is able to carry out his stated policies."

Eberado de Cary
Seantor for Valparaiso

((I was under the impression that there was some ship(s) built last term, which was why I assumed there'd be a vacant command, given that you were likely going to be stripped of rank. Can TH clarify our Naval capability? It seems pretty poor if Chile has no ships, they pretty much wipe out the Argentinians in any war they have a navy.))

One frigate - the San Martin, as I mentioned in one of the previous updates. It's not a capital ship, so I didn't think it was hugely important.

I am honoured by being picked by the jolly good president to lead one of the grand armies of Chile. I assure you that I will do my best to lead Chile to victory against any opposition to the best of my abilities.

- General Jorge Alejandro Santandera

((which is to say that the modifiers are quite random and thus I cannot predict their outcome. Let's hope Santandera gets some that are appropriate for his character.))

Thank you, Mr. Romano.

Now we must get down to business. Having served as Minister of the Interior before, I shall now present my plans:

• Contain violent dissident elements through increased security
  • Supporting a plan for reconciliation and settlement with armed Royalists.
  • Agricultural efficiency, cooperation with the Treasury to put down railroads and build profitable factories with the approval of the President.
  • Inquiry into the Chilean legal system and procedure.
  • Spread government to uncivilized regions.
That is all, gentlemen.

I will support increased ranks in the Chilean police and advocate some form of resettlement and compensation for the Royalists. However, having armed themselves against the State, I will not support their presence in politics.

As treasurer, I encourage the following polices:

Government subsides to existing factories, to ensure they have the money needed to expand.

A shift in national focus from farming to industry, possibly tax breaks for factory workers so more farmers will go to work in factories.

Government construction of railroads, to allow a faster and more efficient economy.

-Armando de Vasces

Romano 1846-1848: Election At War​

The landslide election of President Eduardo Emilio Romano and the Liberales' exit from power wasn't a smooth transition of power, even if it was a peaceful one. President Romano ordered a reshuffling of the Chilean military, relieving General Antonio de Santa Rosa of the command of the Grand Army of the North and replacing him with the former Brigadier General Jorge Alejandro Santandera, additionally assigning the former capital stacks as Santandera's rear guards under Gustavo Fringos.

Of course, de Santa Rosa was not able to leave the battlefield immediately and continued on as the commander of the Grand Army of the North until March 18, when the reinforcements from Santiago finally arrived. At this time, it was said that Antonio de Santa Rosa and Carrera read their new orders - the former was to be relieved of command, while the latter was to travel to Santiago and become Minister of War as General Carrera. Observers said the two shook hands, and de Santa Rosa congratulated Carrera. Carrera replied that it had been an honor to serve under him.

With the old commanders gone, Santandera, Fringos, and Roseno hatched a bold plan to bring a swift end to the war. On April 6, the trio began the march to Buenos Aires, Roseno being the first to arrive in a little under two weeks. The other two reached the city later. As expected, the Argentinian Army raced back to defend their capital, a smaller but determined force fruitlessly throwing themselves at the fortified Chilean positions. After more than a week of fighting, the solely Chilean force of 13,000 defeated an Argentinian force of 11,000, at the cost of 5,000 Chilean soldiers and 8,000 Argentinians. The battle saw the loss of General Sebastian Carrow's entire cavalry brigade and one of Santandera's infantry brigades, as well as many other brave soldiers.

Argentina retreated on August 22, 1846. The combined Chilean army under Santandera chased down the fleeing Argentinian army and cornered them on November 6, obtaining their surrender. Argentina no longer had an army left to defend the country. On March 2, they finally bowed to the inevitable and agreed to cede Corrientes to Brazil and Patagonia to Chile. Peace followed.

JuraIndependencia.jpg

1. Celebrations in Santiago following the Treaty of Buenos Aires and the Argentinian surrender of Patagonia​

Chile quickly repaid its war debt, and under the policies of Romano began a tentative period of prosperity. Relations with Brazil quickly reached their peak while Minister Gale quietly continued to encourage immigration. Though no new factories were built, the existing glass factory's employment swelled to over a thousand people under the administration's pro-industrial policies.

Minister Carrera, on the other hand, had his work cut out for him. The war had seen the loss of nearly 12,000 Chilean soldiers in all and these numbers were not easy to replace. However, his aggressive recruitment policies, combined with a population boon, soon paid off. At the end of 1848, official estimates from Santiago put Chile's total population at roughly 3.1 million people, with a work force of just under 800,000 adult men. The army had seen their fair share of this boom - Carrera put a report on Romano's desk on New Year's Day, 1849, that the army now had the manpower to constitute two new brigades in addition to replacing the one Santandera had lost at Buenos Aires.

The year was not all peace in South America, however. In late 1848, war broke out between Argentina and Bolivia over Bolivia's lost southern territories in Jujuy - the war that followed had nothing to do with Chile, though some said it might be an ideal time to profiteer.

And finally, after several revisions, Nacionales Party elder Francisco Rivera proposed the Democracy Act to the Congreso, proposing the repeal of existing constraints on government policy. Antonio Disraeli and his allies in the Congreso concocted their own proposal as well - the Leadership Act, designed to allow a single person to hold a generalship and ministerial position at the same time. The future of both was uncertain.

Romano and his administration, it seemed, were doing well for the moment - though who could tell what the future might bring?

News From Around the World:

May 9, 1846 - North German Federation Forms Under Prussia
April 9, 1848 - Folkskolreformen in Sweden
July 31, 1848 - Corwin Amendment in the USA

-------------------------

President Romano ((Pallen)), you've got to choose if you want to constitute those new brigades and if so who you want to assign them too. Unfortunately, we don't have the tech to make cavalry so you can't replace Carrow's lost cavalry brigade. Your choices are Irregular, Artillery, Infantry. Nothing else right now. You have two brigades to distribute. The current size of the Chilean Army is 6 brigades, with two under Roseno, Santadera, and Fringos each. They're all infantry except for one of Fringos', which is a cavalry brigade.

Everyone else, vote yes/no on the Democracy Act and the Leadership Act. Also keep in mind that we're open to new proposals.

Sample Ballot:
Democracy Act: Abstain
Leadership Act: Abstain

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Democracy Act in allowable reform repeals all constraints on the elected party's ability to choose issues. The Leadership Act would allow people to hold both ministerial and military positions simultaneously.

If you want to comment on the direction of the country, of course, that's always welcome.

Last edited:
El Presidente, I would like to apply for leadership of one of our new brigades; but I also find my work at the Ministry of Church and Culture too important to leave.

To that end, as I humbly put forth myself as an general officer candidate before our President, I would also like to propose to the Congreso a piece of legislation: The Leadership Act, an amendment to current laws that would allow officials to hold both military commands and ministerial positions simultaneously. There is no reason, for instance, that the Secretary of War should not be able to use his talents on the battlefield in a pinch; especially as our army grows and we have more brigades to assign.

El Presidente, I would like to apply for leadership of one of our new brigades; but I also find my work at the Ministry of Church and Culture too important to leave.

To that end, as I humbly put forth myself as an general officer candidate before our President, I would also like to propose to the Congreso a piece of legislation: The Leadership Act, an amendment to current laws that would allow officials to hold both military commands and ministerial positions simultaneously. There is no reason, for instance, that the Secretary of War should not be able to use his talents on the battlefield in a pinch; especially as our army grows and we have more brigades to assign.

That's a bold proposal, Rogov. I'll add it to the ballot right now and we'll see...

Democracy Act: For
Leadership Act: Abstain

"Senor Vasces, although I approve of your plan to subsidise factories and railroads, couldn't you put some direct investment into building factories. Currently it seems there is only one factory, which produces glass. Glass may be useful, but it cannot be used as a weapon by our army. Nor does it use resources that can be found in Chile."

Eberado de Cary
Senator for Valparaiso