• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(74372)

Second Lieutenant
Apr 14, 2007
Is it time for Rome 2? Is it?! The Creative Assembly rome 2 was a huge let-down as to be expected, but I think with EU IV, Paradox is on the right track and Rome 2 could become an amazing game!

Please, Old Gods of the Mediterranean, LET IT BE SO!

WOAW... I am stunned.. What is the logic behind that!! So many people love the time period.. And why not for a long, long time? Does that mean they plan-out there games a long time ahead and it isn't on the planning or they said to themselves.. lets not do Rome 2 again for a long... long time... :/

Paradox has said no to rome 2. I think its a shame it is a popular time period and paradox has got alot of new people from ck2 who might be interested in it, especially if it has more character focus than rome 1

Is it time for Rome 2? Is it?! The Creative Assembly rome 2 was a huge let-down as to be expected, but I think with EU IV, Paradox is on the right track and Rome 2 could become an amazing game!

Please, Old Gods of the Mediterranean, LET IT BE SO!

In addition to what was already said, Shams also said two other things: "Rome 2 isn't currently on the production pipeline." (The production pipelines extends some 5 years into the future)

He also said that a reasonable expectation for when Paradox might develop Rome 2 would be 2018-2020.

Damn! I had big hopes the next announcement would be Rome 2.

Same here. I guess it sold poorly? I thought it was perfect for a quasi-CK2 game.

I'm waiting for Shams to get a Kickstarter going for Rome 2. :)

Edit: Shameless Plug :D

Last edited:
I think there's a huge market for this era through to the CKII Old Gods period. You could have two games in this period and have converters.

I'm sure Rome 2 would be a great success. Paradox fans loved Rome 1 despite it's rough shape at the release, the game sold well and it almost got a second expansion, but EU 3 fans were more numerous and the Roman period is currently immensely popular in the pop culture, in addition to being exotic and sexy. There are only three reasons why Paradox doesn't want to do it:
1. The Romans were very un-PC by todays standards and stuff like slavery, or cultural imperialism was not even questioned back then. Maybe Paradox is afraid of negative backlash that might come due to portraying such controversial topics?
2. They aren't happy with some mechanics in the original Rome game, but don't know how to improve them.
3. They just have so many cool ideas for games that there is no time left for Rome.

Eu:Rome was a bad combination of EU campaign, CK1 character gameplay and oversimplified V1 populations.
But it was stepstone towards V2 and Ck2. Also thanks to Rome the Devs probably avoided making same mistakes in Eu3 expansions and later on in Eu4.

Let's say it was a 'demo' towards their later games.

Next time they really need to figure out how to make a Eu:Rome game that uses well the Eu4 campaign, CK2 character RPG-mechanics/civil wars/factions/mercenaries and Victoria populations.
History of mankind is also a history of ecology and economy; until they figure out how to portray ancient economics and trade mechanics well in a game set in ancient era, they should not really consider a Eu:Rome 2.

I think the problem is that there isn't much of a challenge for most of the period, just a massive Rome steamrolling everyone. There are also relatively few countries, those that are at least feasible anyway.

On the positive side, as someone else mentioned, the period is a very popular one. Also the role playing element is now very popular, what with CK2, which is as successful at the moment it seems as the most popular games like EU & Hearts of Iron series. I think its popularity may well have taken Paradox by surprise. So on this aspect there is hope.

One possibility is to expand the map to include China and India. I think a CKII style character system in this era is a must.

Not going to happen unfortunelty, which weird since the ancient period is one of the most popular, probably the most if we ignore WW2 and the Medieval Era. Let's just hope that Paradox reminds itself that some of them thought making Vicky II was a bad idea and it actually turned to be a reasonably successful game.

Not going to happen unfortunelty, which weird since the ancient period is one of the most popular, probably the most if we ignore WW2 and the Medieval Era. Let's just hope that Paradox reminds itself that some of them thought making Vicky II was a bad idea and it actually turned to be a reasonably successful game.

CK2 was even thought less likely of being a hit than Vicky II at the time, and that has proved everyone wrong.

One possibility is to expand the map to include China and India. I think a CKII style character system in this era is a must.

Why is it a must? Do people who say this even know how Rome worked, republic or empire? Families had a role only within the city of Rome. So if your family is not ruling, what on earth are you supposed to do during that time???