• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just a quick question. I have been wondering about this, and would think it would be realistic. If one of your puppets research a tech you dont have, or say even you research something they dont have. Wouldnt it make sense, and seem realistic that they would trade tech?

If Germany is in 45 inf and say Slovakia is back in 39, wouldnt Germany have given them the means to make better troops. especially for when invading a neighboring country? Or atleast have some kind of bonus that would allow one of the other countries to research it faster.

It just seems like if you are fighting a country, and all your puppets/allies are a decade behind in tech. It would only make sense to help them out so you have as much advantage as you can when fighting a war.... or am i wrong?

Why do Euro's always say "malus" instead of "penalty"? I've never heard malus used in English except in legal matters.

(Yes I understand it's Latin and I know what it means)

One of my pet hates too.....and boni is even worse when people mean bonuses.

I dont think you can really not give a stacking penalty if you are not in the same stack at the start but give it when you are. Otherwise everyone would have little fleets but when a big battle started everyone would rush the fleets from different directions in.

Also yes airspace is 3D but there are still going to be communication and other issues with handling 1000s of aircraft in one sea zone.
Air stacking should be dependant on the amount of wings on each side IMO

Because a dissent hit effects the whole country, which is what would happen if the pride of your country's fleet was sunk.
Really? So if a pride unit is sunk the workers go on strike.
Also, how could you have a org hit on a sunken ship?!?
Obviuosly the hit should be on something else.

Really? So if a pride unit is sunk the workers go on strike.
A strike is not necessary. All you need is a morale hit, which dissent also simulates. There is one well known example of a ship (KMS Deutschland) being renamed specifically to prevent a propaganda problem if it was lost.

One of my pet hates too.....and boni is even worse when people mean bonuses.

Well boni isn't even a word, so I can understand that. However Malus is a word, and it is being used in the proper context, although it is true that its primarily a legal reference.

Although really, do you have a problem with Bonus, which you imply you don't? Malus is the opposite of Bonus, so having an issue with Malus but not Bonus is like saying I hate the word Yes but I'm perfectly happy with No.

Well boni isn't even a word, so I can understand that. However Malus is a word, and it is being used in the proper context, although it is true that its primarily a legal reference.

Although really, do you have a problem with Bonus, which you imply you don't? Malus is the opposite of Bonus, so having an issue with Malus but not Bonus is like saying I hate the word Yes but I'm perfectly happy with No.

The difference, of course, being one is common parlance, the other is the very definition of "rare".

A better analogy would be liking "No", but having something against "Yea Verily".

Malus is actually used pretty often considering how seldom you need it, it is just getting out of fashion over the last couple years, i think because its hard to pronounce for many... another victim of pop culture destroying uncommon words ;)

Well boni isn't even a word, so I can understand that. However Malus is a word, .

Boni is the plural of bonus.
Nominative, plural of an adjective following the second declension.
the use as a noun is modern iirc.

The difference, of course, being one is common parlance, the other is the very definition of "rare".

A word is a word is a word, regardless of how often its used. Frequency doesn't make the point valid, but definition does. Malus is, literally (well, I suppose I should correct that, I think you can have a Bonus without a Malus, but you can't have a Malus without a Bonus IIRC), the exact opposite of Bonus. Just like Yes is the exact opposite of No.

Boni is the plural of bonus.

I realized the Urban Dictionary is popular, but you should be aware it isn't a real dictionary. Boni isn't a word unless its been added to one of the more "official" dictionaries with their updates over the past few years. And, for the record, the plural of bonus is bonuses. (Although I did find out via a quick search that supposedly Boni is a proper plural to Bonus in German, but that was from a non-authoritative source so I could be wrong on that)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bonus

Supporting an invasion has nothing to do with Naval Combat! Also keep in mind the ships are abstract I don't think the entire world in the game has 880 ships!

Well I hate to bust your bubble there skippy, But the US had TWO 1000 ship fleets in two actions in June of 44, D-Day and Saipan. And that does not account for the rest of the ships in the US Navy.

And before someone else makes a silly statement that supporting invasions is not naval combat I have three battles for you, Marianas Turkey Shoot, Iron Bottom Sound, and Suriago Strait. ;)

All three took place due to their SUPPORTING invasions. ;)

And finally, lets remember the famous saying one German officer purportedly said, in disbelief, "It's impossible... there can't be that many ships in the world." :cool:

Cheers, Thor

A strike is not necessary. All you need is a morale hit, which dissent also simulates. There is one well known example of a ship (KMS Deutschland) being renamed specifically to prevent a propaganda problem if it was lost.
A morale hit is a hit on morale not an increase in dissent.

PS

Malus/bonus is not english but latin.

Last edited:
A word is a word is a word, regardless of how often its used. Frequency doesn't make the point valid, but definition does. Malus is, literally (well, I suppose I should correct that, I think you can have a Bonus without a Malus, but you can't have a Malus without a Bonus IIRC), the exact opposite of Bonus. Just like Yes is the exact opposite of No.

A word is a word is a word, but that doesn't stop the fact that words that people are unfamiliar with are going to be less "well-sitting" with them than ones that are more popular.

You can't take Normalguy's stance (and maybe Bamilus, it's hard to tell from his post), who say they would prefer a more oft-used word (in this case, "penalty"), and say that their stance is invalid; if they don't like the word, they don't like the word, regardless of it's actual definition.

The tradeoff is, of course, that this being a public forum they can't actually stop you from using it unless some crazy-convincing reason is given to the Paradox staff.

Dissent represents the faith your general population have in the current rulers (or rather lack off faith since its best value is 0).

If you mange to lose the pride of the fleet, obviously the population will lose alot off faith in your military administration generally and your fleet & navy in particular.

Thus I think the dissent hit is warranted.

You also need to remember that morale isn't very important for ships, since most of the time they only have a single big battle each time they leave port, and will rest to max org in between.

So I think experience boost and dissent hits are good modifiers to actually make you want to use the feature, and also have respect off it so you don't abuse it.

A word is a word is a word, but that doesn't stop the fact that words that people are unfamiliar with are going to be less "well-sitting" with them than ones that are more popular.

You can't take Normalguy's stance (and maybe Bamilus, it's hard to tell from his post), who say they would prefer a more oft-used word (in this case, "penalty"), and say that their stance is invalid; if they don't like the word, they don't like the word, regardless of it's actual definition.

The tradeoff is, of course, that this being a public forum they can't actually stop you from using it unless some crazy-convincing reason is given to the Paradox staff.

The whole "stance" part of it came from replying to mousemaster about how using the comparison of "Yes/No" was invalid because Malus was a rarely used word. The invalidity comment had nothing to do with being upset at the use of the word.

My original point to Normalguy (and Bamilus through the reference/quote in Normalguy's post) was that it was absolutely ridiculous to have a pet peeve over the word. It sparked a pet peeve I have where people get riled up for ridiculous things. Its a never ending cycle...

Achievements. Arcade mode. Now that silly "Pride of the Fleet" stuff. They've got everything for it, the next Hearts of Iron will be a Xbox360-only first person shooter.

I realized the Urban Dictionary is popular, but you should be aware it isn't a real dictionary. Boni isn't a word unless its been added to one of the more "official" dictionaries with their updates over the past few years. And, for the record, the plural of bonus is bonuses. (Although I did find out via a quick search that supposedly Boni is a proper plural to Bonus in German, but that was from a non-authoritative source so I could be wrong on that)

Yep you´re right Boni is the plural in germany, even though many idiots here say Bonuse and such things, it´s disguisting.

Anyway we tend to say Boni in other languages, because german is a romanized(I don´t know if this is th right word in english, it´s origins is from rome) language a lot of our words are similiar you say Taxi´s we say Taxen.
You say atlases we say atlanten.

I hope it won´t bother you if I continue to say them like that. :(

Achievements. Arcade mode. Now that silly "Pride of the Fleet" stuff. They've got everything for it, the next Hearts of Iron will be a Xbox360-only first person shooter.
Why would Pride of the Fleet be silly? Bismarck was the pride of the German fleet just like Yamato was the Japanese and the Hood the English one.

These ships were generally more modern, had the best crews and so on. Its something called flavour, won't change alot on the large scale but make the game and situation feel more authentic for the player.

Last edited:
I would give unity hit instead, as people start talking and worrying.
Overall I think small experience bonus to ship will be just that - a small pebble, nothing extraordinary.

I would give unity hit instead, as people start talking and worrying.
Overall I think small experience bonus to ship will be just that - a small pebble, nothing extraordinary.
Unity (per ingame definition and DDs) is when the leaders of a nation is ready to give up, not the people.

It's been proved time and again that strategic bombing strengthened the fighting will and spirit of the people for example, but it still lowers unity because the leaders watch in vain how they fail to protect their nation.