• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(75409)

Field Marshal
Apr 30, 2007
Has anything been said about whether the Mongols would be in the game, similar to CK1?

I liked how they would arrive at a time when you usually had already won an empire, and were something like the late-game boss. However they often failed spectacularly and that could be very disappointing. Will anything be done about them?

Also, will they be just a giant all-coinquering blob? Or will they turn into a feudal realm that vassalizes princes and dukes, and generally stops being all-conquering?

This is an important question to consider, and I'm sure the devs have something cooked up already. I would favor several small waves of invasions, followed by the two big sustained invasion routes, then some settling down as happened historically, to form the Golden Horde and Il-Khanate (and their successor states: remember how scary the Timurids are in EU3?).

Yes, the Timurid invasion should be in the game for late starting dates. And Mongol chieftains like Timur Lenk should be able to rise up and gather their warriors and create havoc after the two main invasions (GH and Ilkhanate) are over.

The invasion should be dynamic, in one playthrough the khan might get killed in a skirmish against Cumans, in the other he might stand before the gates of Rome!

There should also be an option to bend the knee to the Khan. Then once the invasion peters out you can take advantage of it by striking out on your own again!

Of course, this being CK, this can all backfire in unforeseen ways.

I hope they make the Mongols more exciting than in Crusader Kings, they never seem to get very far for me, it's frustrating when I hear of them reaching the gates of Paris in other people's games!
Being vassalised by the Empire sounds fun, I like that idea. Did the Mongol leaders rule their vassals differently to European leaders? Perhaps there could be events pertaining to that.
I hope we get cool break-off states too, so that even if the main Empire gets defeated there might still be a Khan of Prussia or Bosnia. :D

Huh? From what I remembers from early days of CK1 before they got patched, the Mongols tend to reach the Great Sea regularly. :S

I would like generic rule set for nomads that would applies to Mongol but also to others nomads tribes (Cumans or even Tuaregs for example).
For example, they could be able to raise steppes cavalry from unsettled slots of their owned provinces (and classic troops from owned settlements like any other lord).
[provinces will be owned by nomads when the capital barony is either owned by the horde or a vassals of the nomad horde)

The particularity of Mongol, will be that they will appears with lots of troops and with better strategic abilities. So even if they share a common "horde" ruleset or Cumans will not threaten the old continent while Mongols will.

As settlements will appears in their provinces, the nomads hordes will be less and less able to raise steppes cavalry and will become more and more sedentary (EDIT : like it happened with the Seljuq Turcs who could perhaps also start as nomad tribes).

Last edited:
I want the Horde to scare me. Massively. I want to fear their coming, even if I'm huddled away in Iceland.

I just hope they can arrive in alternative fashions. The Mongols invaded Central Asia only when their merchants were executed by a Persian kingdom (Can't remember the name) under the suspicion that they were spies.

I want the Horde to scare me. Massively. I want to fear their coming, even if I'm huddled away in Iceland.

Maybe Mongols' aggressiveness could depend at least partly on who (in what region) the human player plays. Mongols could take a bit easier if the player is some count-tier ruler in East, and be meaner if the player is a king somewhere in West.

Also, will they be just a giant all-coinquering blob? Or will they turn into a feudal realm that vassalizes princes and dukes, and generally stops being all-conquering?

I hope they will do the last thing. I know they did irl. For example Muzcowy formed their early empire (later Russia) by dealings with the mongols, where they paid tithes to the mongol overlords and helped collect more by defeating neighbours, thus expanding their own territory. Mongols also had infighting and fragmentation after the death of some Khan if I recall right, so after that remained powerful but in a fragmented state. Those you can see as starting countries in EU3. So it would be cool if it could turn in that direction during late game CK2.

I just hope they can arrive in alternative fashions. The Mongols invaded Central Asia only when their merchants were executed by a Persian kingdom (Can't remember the name) under the suspicion that they were spies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khwārazm-Shāh_dynasty

iirc a CK2 map-thread included reasons why that area should be expanded upon a bit in order to reflect the regions strategic/historic significance. especially vis-à-vis the Mongols.

Unfortunately i think that may be an area for modders... haven't quite seen the breakdown of it from the alpha screenshots so far.

Maybe there can be a mongol setting before you start your game. Where you can set them to be timid, ill-tempered, or apocalyptic. Because there are times when I want to play and not worry about the mongols. But then there are times when you want them to crush all before them, maybe even you!

Maybe there can be a mongol setting before you start your game. Where you can set them to be timid, ill-tempered, or apocalyptic. Because there are times when I want to play and not worry about the mongols. But then there are times when you want them to crush all before them, maybe even you!

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you want to play an empire building game and want a good late game challenge in the form of the Mongols who could potentially destroy everything you made and send you straight back to the beginning.

They should also splinter after all of the madness has gone or their great Khan leader has died with a succession crisis. It would be great to see the Khan of Scotland battling it out with the Khan of England for example :wacko:

I think the Mongols should appear in two forms.

1. The Horde: The massive doom armies that terrify the world over

2. Normal states: When the Mongols conquer they eventually form normal countries that you can interact with like the Il-Khanate, and the Jalayirids.