• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1399-01welcome.png

Turn 15, first half: universities everywhere

Jim: Welcome, everyone. I'm excited and so is our friend Bob here.

Bob: Certainly Jim.

Jim: Well, back to the game! How's Japan doing?

Bob: Nothing big changed. Ming became Manchu for some strange reason but other than that, no noteworthy changes in Asia.

Jim: I see that the new emperor, Tsuchimikado II, isn't that strong diplomatically. Does that mean we see less boundary disputes and claims on rivals?

Bob: I hope not.

Jim: Me too. However, you can't deny his influence on the Japanese economy.

Bob: Indeed, Jim. In the period 1680-1683, four universities are build. Japan needs a better government if it wants to succeed and universities help immensely with that.

Jim: Nice.

Bob: But other aspects of government aren't ignored. Japan's infamy is falling and thus an opportunity presents itself for foreign adventures. As Japan has a core on Rajputana, a nice excuse for war is present, so it is declared.

1683-05waronrajputana.png

Jim: It's indeed always very useful to have cores on foreign territory.

Bob: Although Korea and Tibet join the war, their armies are easily crushed and their forts are taken. After a year, peace is signed.

1684-03peacerajputana.png

Jim: Very good. Any other news?

Bob: Japan continues with construction of even more universities. Two more in 1684-1684. Japan's economy can carry their cost of about 1200 ducats each.

Jim: Although at the cost of inflation.

Bob: Wait, something is coming in...that's unexpected....

Jim: What?

Bob: Surprisingly, even with Tsuchimikado II's weak diplomatic skill, he managed to get a boundary dispute with Rajputana.

1685-07bdisputerajputana.png

Jim: Again? Looks like Japan has got some German luck here.

Bob: Certainly, Jim. However, with the truce in place, war has to wait. Instead, four more universities are build, making Japan a leading nation in higher education.

Jim: Still, our contestants do not forget about military power. In July 1686, the Imperial army is strengthened as military policy focusses a bit more on Land.

Bob: That will help with the Final Battle. Meanwhile, the focus on Government tech pays of. In 1688 Government tech 25 is reached. This tech level enables the expansion of governmental power and a new National Bank is established.

1688-09newidea.png

Jim: Japan really needs to reduce its inflation, so this is probably a good idea.

Bob: Its inflation is now about 25%, quite high indeed.

Jim: I see the truce with Rajputana has ended.

Bob: Correct, in 1689 Japan is no longer honour bound to the truce and declares a war of reconquest on Rajputana. In mere months Rajputana surrenders, cedes four provinces plus its claims on foreign cores.

Jim: A nice turn for Japan, about a dozen universities build and seven provinces gained. Too bad still no inheritances. After the break, we will watch the German team, but for now a map of Asia. See you soon!

1690-01mapofasia.png

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 15, second half: Spain

Jim: Welcome back, dear audience.

Bob: Hello everyone. Team Germany is about to enter the XS-35.

Jim: To return to a Germany still ruled by Friedrich. In the 1680's, Friedrich has been busy, adopting a National Trade Policy to further strengthen German trade. A bit more dubious was his decision to intervene in Sweden's war. The war of German Intervention has been very exhausting for Germany, culminating in an uncomfortable 17 points.

Bob: Strange. With the combined armies of Germany, France and Poland, Sweden should have been devastated completely. Even a war as simple as this is too much for the natives, I suppose.

Jim: That's probably why our contestants sign a white peace as soon as they return.

Bob: Friedrich doesn't take this well. He dies in 1690, with no country inherited. A regency council takes control.

Jim: <sighs> It would be nice if there would be a bit more inheritances in this match.

Bob: Indeed. But not all is bad. This forced period of peace enables Germany to bleed of its war exhaustion. Also, during the peaceful years, relations with the Pope are improved and traders are send to Papal Mexico. The first German traders in the Americas!

Jim: As if Germany's economy really needed that. But I reckon peace is only temporary, as many arsenals are being build. Conflict is brewing as in February 1692, Border Friction with Hungary takes place.

Bob: But as young Franz is still a minor, Germany cannot act on this opportunity. Instead, our contestants proceed to make Germany a freer country with very Free Subjects. The newly instated Sunday schools will help develop an educated middle class.

1692-06sundayschools.png

Jim: Aaah, I see that in 1693 Franz rises to the throne.

1693-12franz1.png

Bob: Time for war!

Jim: And what a war it is. Not some minor border conflict with Hungary, but with the mightiest non-German aligned European power!

1693-12ger-spaunificationwar.png

Bob: Wow! I saw that the Spanish royalty was struggling with its legitimacy during the last years, but still a surprising move.

Jim: While the navies of both alliances are almost the same size, the German alliance is by far stronger in land forces. German and French forces flow into the Iberian peninsula with little trouble.
Bob: During the war, a high-level civil servant proposes a revaluation of the Deutschmark. The king, encouraged by our contestants, agrees.

1694-12currencyreval.png

Jim: Very nice, very nice. German inflation is now only 10%, a thing the Japanese will not like.

Bob: I don't think the Japanese will be too unhappy, as in 1695 Japan becomes an absolute monarchy! I predict a lot of action in the next Japanese turn...

Jim: That will indeed help the Japanese contestants immensely. However, now it's the Germans that steal the spotlight. In February 1696, all of Iberia and Spanish North Africa has been conquered, forcing Spain to accept German demands.

1696-02unionwithSpain.png

Bob: Germany is quickly becoming a hyperpower. With France, Poland and Spain as it subjects, only Great Britain and Japan remain as serious rivals. If only they would inherit those kingdoms...

Jim: The Mamluks, however, do not share your opinion, as they are at war with Spain and are not planning to quit any time soon. Germany allies with Spain and declares an alliance war on the Mamluks.

Bob: In other news, the border conflicts with Hungary get out of hand and Germany gets a core on Hungarian lands.

1697-01coreonsopron.png

Jim: Another case of the lengendary German luck. Or perhaps because of Franz' very high diplomatic skill. Anyway, after some hefty buttkicking, the Mamluks surrender. Germany wanted to take Jeruzalem, but the Referee reminded them of the rule that outside of Europe they can only take provinces that border their own territory.

Bob: A good thing, too. At this rate, Japan won't stand a chance against the German juggernaut.

Jim: With that, we have to end this turn. Germany has made enormous progress, while Japan is falling more and more behind. But may be Japan's absolute monarchy will save it? See you next time!

PUs really are seriously, and ridiculously, overpowered... That's quite a powerhouse Germany has been buit up to!

PUs really are seriously, and ridiculously, overpowered... That's quite a powerhouse Germany has been buit up to!

On one hand, I agree with you, on the other....The inheritance chance is really low (or I'm doing something very wrong). Take for example Wu. I''ve had Wu now for almost 120 years and still not inherited. I'm beginning to think that a lot of PUs will still be there when the Final Battle starts. Which would be quite bad for Japan, as its subjects are really weak military.

PUs are easy to get (no one will every interfere, unlike in real life), very dependend on luck and an great way to disable rivals. However, they are IMO not really reliable to get more territory.

Couldn't you just integrate them? I know you won't gain the cores, but you wouldn't have to wait.

Couldn't you just integrate them? I know you won't gain the cores, but you wouldn't have to wait.
Hehehe, I also thought that. However, I get 1 infamy per province. Integrating France, Poland or Spain will push me far beyond the infamy limit. Integrating might help with the smaller unions, but still give a lot of infamy and can only be done once per 50 years. Also, integration destroys the relations with all the other partners. I don't want to risk this with Japan with its many partners.

In general, integration might be useful, but IMO not in the current situation.

Do you plan to make a nasty surprise to the Germans, by gaining territory which is landlocked and does not border any other territory of yours? For example, if you manage to inherit Wu, the little island in the sea of Min... um... I mean Manchu would be unreachable by the Germans, unless they attack or have MA through Manchu ;)

Do you plan to make a nasty surprise to the Germans, by gaining territory which is landlocked and does not border any other territory of yours? For example, if you manage to inherit Wu, the little island in the sea of Min... um... I mean Manchu would be unreachable by the Germans, unless they attack or have MA through Manchu ;)

First, Ming/Manchu is also a PU of Japan and thus will also fight in the Final Battle. Second, the rule is about conquering territory, not controlling. Third, such gamey strategies are heavily frowned upon by the Referee: if something like this will bring the game into gridlock, something will be done about it.

Besides, would you really want such an anticlimatic end?

Woah, Spain is in a PU with Germany too! Germany clearly dominates continental Europe now. Hopefully Japan can catch up so that the final battle is super epic.

First, Ming/Manchu is also a PU of Japan and thus will also fight in the Final Battle.

True, but they're not westernised. The non-inherited Ming and Manchu armies will be a pushover for Germany+France+Spain...

The end game is going to fairly intense. Looking forward to seeing who will win, it still looks like Germany is a bit ahead, mostly because of the PU's with France and Spain.

Woah, Spain is in a PU with Germany too! Germany clearly dominates continental Europe now. Hopefully Japan can catch up so that the final battle is super epic.
I'm doing my best to make Japan as strong as possible. However, if they don't inherit most of their PUs soon...

True, but they're not westernised. The non-inherited Ming and Manchu armies will be a pushover for Germany+France+Spain...
You're completely right there. My point was that Wu's provinces aren't protected by a neutral state Germany can't attack.

Japan does indeed suffer much more from not inheriting than Germany. The Japanese allies, while handy against Persia and other Asian countries, will provide with little else than cannon fodder for the Final Battle. Germany's allies, however, are great powers on their own.

The end game is going to fairly intense. Looking forward to seeing who will win, it still looks like Germany is a bit ahead, mostly because of the PU's with France and Spain.
A bit ahead? Twice the economy, 50% larger army, much better tech and NIs and way less inflation. If both nations will get all their inheritances, I fear the unbalance will only grow. I've to find something to make the Final Battle a challenge...

*EDIT* Oops, Twice the army, 50% larger economy would be more accurate.

Last edited:
To be honest I forgot if there were some house rule against it, but may be you can play with Japan in the final war?
The idea was indeed to play with Germany, but unless Japan makes an astounding comeback, I think it would be more exciting if I play Japan in the Final Battle.

Too bad, I really wanted a high-tech war in Asia for a change. :(

Great job so far! Can't wait for Germany vs Japan! (Hope you play as both of them during the final war!) :D
That's quite impossible, isn't it? :)

Wow; had no idea integrating caused infamy!
Oh yes, that's a major reason why you want to inherit even outside your culture group. I'm not sure how much it is, but I tried integration with France and it gave me 55 infamy, so it's not trivial.

You could edit the savegame to give Japan and all its PUs a very high trust (both ways, trust is bi-directional), to guarantee an inheritance next king.