• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why didn't you get more in the treaty? Oh well. No one can stop you now, it seems.

while I could defend that decision of mine with mentioning 'roleplaying' reasons and the like... :) I simply wanted to keep infamy as close to 0 as possible 'cause at that time the Sultan was reigning for more than 50 years and I really wanted to inherit Morocco (at least) upon his death - as far as I know low BB is one of the factors for inheritance but of course there are others also.

ok - because of the... pressure some of you put on me :))) here's a 'spoiler' from the upcoming 'state of the world in 1601' post:

pol1601m.jpg

on the other hand: there will be another chapter before the aforementioned overview: the second part of the previous one which I had to split into two different posts because of the number of screenshots.

now I'm going to go and see my family using the spare time I have because of the upcoming holiday on Tuesday so don't expect update before Wednesday!

I'm sorry for that - really :) see you!

Part 22 - End of an Era (1597-1601)

So... it was the year 1597 and Ali II, the first sultan of Tripoli was getting close to his 70th birthday. Grand festivities were going to be organized though Ali himself wasn't in the mood of celebration. He wished for some quiet years before his final rest but he had to accept that being a leader of a country is not the perfect position for that. It was the way of things: after he grew old and became more patient in foreign affairs - that was the time for the younger, more passionate leaders of his neighbours to try the old lion and see if he still has the will to defend all that is his own.

Instead of war, one of the new priorities of Ali II were the lands across the Great Western Sea commonly known as 'Cuba'. There was quiet but steady development in the region while the population the area was growing fast. New branches of agriculture and local industry were spreading every day with some of them seemed to be quite successful attempts.

misc2301.jpg

The productivity of the new provinces was higher than that of the home cities' mainly because the colonists of these newly acquired lands actually had to grow or make something with their own hands while the people back in the Free Cities were mostly sea-faring men making their living out of trade or war (or both). However not all of the news were good on the economical front.

There were always problems with the merchants as one simply cannot follow market fluctuations with the proper policies and administration required. There were highs and lows in the business and while the merchants were rarely to be seen in the Palace in prospering years they were always popping up in the first few days of any minor or major crisis...

misc2302.jpg

While the Court didn't have financial problems during the reign of Ali II situations like this helped the Council to remember that keeping a part of the funds in reserve for possible disasters is a good idea after all.

In late 1598 news came from the Duke of Granada, faithful ally of his brother the Sultan: in his letter the Duke asked for permission about his grand reform plan that would help his people to stand against the still threatening Castilians on more even terms.

misc2303.jpg

The sultan was more than happy to see that he and his reformer spirit have followers amongst his minions and he sent his good wishes about the Duke's plans and even promised to send men of his own with experience in government reform matters to help keeping tensions low. And of course the garrison in Gebel al-Tarik was there in case something goes wrong...

Not much later Ali received another message from an other ally, this time from the Sultan of Syria, yet this message contained news that were less comfortable for Ali:

misc2304.jpg

The Burjis of Egypt were still relatives to the leaders of the Corsairs though lately this connection became rather nominal. After the last war with them which took place decades ago the Mamluks were not a threat to Tripoli anymore and Ali II had reasons for joining on both sides. After much thinking he chose to help the Syrians in the conflict as they proved themselves in battle against the Crusaders many times before. Also on longer terms helping a country with a stronger, more effective government than that of the Mamluks' would give better chance against any possible Infidel invasion in the Middle East.

The High Priests of Persia also joined the war on the Syrian side so the Mamluks were attacked from three sides and their war machine crumbled quickly. In Libya their Egyptian army suffered a major defeat from the combined forces of Tripoli, Tunis and Algiers on 21th July 1599 - not much later they gave in to the demands of Persia ceding some of their eastern lands and granting independence to the Iraqi people and the Dulkadiri Turks.

misc2305.jpg

However the war went on for another year though without any major battles. The main forces of the Mamluks were already defeated so only their garrisons remained waiting to be conquered. With the help of the Corsair guns this didn't take long.

misc2306.jpg

Due to the peace deals the Syrians and the Persians enforced upon the Mamluks the political situation of the Middle East changed a bit: the Mamluks had lost all their eastern holdings either to the attacking Syrians and Persians or the newly independent Iraq and their remaining lands were cut into half with the northern part being in serious danger from a possible attack of the rising Novgorodians. On the other hand the further expansion of allied Syria was more than welcomed by the Corsair government.

After the war the merchants came again, this time complaining about the continuing backing of the government some of the traders were receiving because of the recent crisis. Clearly you cannot follow a trading policy that would fit to all the merchants in your realm... not to mention the natural jealousity amongst these people.

misc2307.jpg

So the funds were cut off and it turned out that this was the very last official decision of Ali II as sultan. He fell ill not long after this and after some weeks he died on 23th April 1601. He reigned for 56 years - he was by far the longest ruling leader of the Corsairs since time immemorial. His rule saw the rise of Tripoli from being a small trading nation, harassed by Infidel crusaders towards a major power of the Mediterranean with a fleet and alliance that could be a match for any other nation of the world.

leader06heir10.jpg

His funeral took place several days after while his position was taken over by his son Muhammad who was Crown Prince for 53 years. He wasn't the same as his father - he served in the fleet in all his life and he waited long enough as the heir to the Sultan to become a bit... restless and more aggressive when it came to politics. However he still had the Council of his father to aid him - and now it was up to him what he would do with it.

Nevertheless now it was the brother of Muhammad, who was named Mansur (after Mansur the Great) by his father, who became Crown Prince - and the Corsairs were ready to take on another century of history...

Last edited:
Interlude II.: 1601

Now, as I promised, here's the next overview of the game as it stands in 1601:

pol1601.jpg

This is the same screenshot I posted recently as a 'spoiler' - it depicts the political situation of Europe, Western Asia, the Middle East and North Africa. I would say the map is still surprisingly 'plausible'.

After a defeat and a westernization I've finally wrecked Castille which at some point controlled all of Spain and parts of the Barbary Coast and Portugal while Aragon was an OPM - since then a couple of provinces have revolted back to the Portuguese and to Aragon, Castille has been kicked out of North Africa and Granada broke free from them. They've even westernized too!

France and Burgundy are quite balanced: they are both Protestants and I haven't noticed much interference between them in the last hundred years or so. France is locked in a war with England for decades now while Burgundy (having lost the HRE title) doesn't have the power required to gain any advantage from this.

England on the other hand is the new rising star of the Catholic faith - especially with Castille and Portugal out of the picture. She is DoTF and allied to HRE Austria. After the Iberian countries lost their fleet due to me and my allies England's position as a potential colonizer was greatly strengthened too - they have colonies in the Americas about which I'm not posting a picture since I hardly see anything there except my own colonies and some other islands in the Caribbean.
:)

To the north, Denmark-formed Scandinavia is uncontested - in the last hundred years they've grabbed some territory along the Baltic coast. They are Protestant DoTF and (together with France) in a war with England too.

Novgorod is a somewhat of a surprise - it seems that together with a 'lucky' Lithuania they managed to get the 'historical' outcome of the collapse of the Golden Horde. They are the eastern match for the BUR-FRA twin: currently they have the same strength though I think Novgorod has the advantage on the long run.

The Ottomans... well right now I'm toying with the thought of helping Syria to replace them (and the Mamluks) as the Muslim powrhouse but we will see about that. The Persians are doing well too.

And last but not least: HRE Austria, the current arch-enemy. Apart from Lithuania they are the only big Catholic country on the continent (Bohemia and Hungary are Protestants too) but they have been defeated a few times so their army is not so scary - they are the next target for the ultimate goal: dismantling the HRE!

Diplomacy:

diplo1601.jpg

The advance is not so significant in the last hundred years as it was previously: most of my gains are due to the victories over Castille and the PU I've got with Morocco - which I didn't manage to inherit so switching to a republic have been delayed for now. Apart from this new vassals are Granada and Morea (which is actually consisted of Kaffa and Sinope).

I still have my old allies, Najd and the Hedjaz and I gained a new one: Syria.

Though I don't know what you guys think about that I really like the 'Tripolitanean Europe' text on Italy :D

My land force limits are huge and my manpower limit is nowhere near to that (its maximum is somewhere around 40 000). My naval force limits could be better - I may need the NI to build up a really huge navy. I think it's a little gamey to surpass the force limits due to the large amount of money one may have...

Also I'haven't modernized my military and I do not plan so in the near future. I already have tons of vassals and a military large enough to defend myself - we will see what can I achieve as an attacker...

Technology:

tech1601.jpg

Now this is something totally different than before though there's not much to say: the Western group glows brightly on the map. Novogorod and the Ottomans are catching up (at least with military tech) while the Poland-Lithuania-Hungary triumvirate is lagging badly - I seriously think that something should be done about this as it's really ahistorical...

Charts:

cot1601.jpg

This is where the wealth comes from...

army1601.jpg

...and this is where it goes to. The manpower of Burgundy and France is huge. Combined with my vassals I have the force to match the Emperor but I do fear the English navy. Heck, now I know what Europe felt for centuries up until WWI...
:D

Speaking about the English navy:

navy1601.jpg

Notice that two of my allies (Aquileia and Morocco) are on the chart too! The problem is that it's not me who actually tells their ships where to go...

Pies:

chart1601.jpg

Culture is quite diverse... and it seems Sunni faith has become a minority in Tripoli - being fully innovative has its own feats after all. And now on to Austria, into the very heart of Europe!

...and let me now if you are interested in anything else! Har-har-harrr...

Nice update, good to see an AI westernising. Are you playing Vanilla? Do you have a custom graphic? I swear my game looks different!

this is the third or fourth time I see that. and yes, the game is vanilla though I have MEIOU installed - that mod changes the map font (and the cursor and some other things), others have noticed this too.

Even the new heir is very old.

Well done. It seems like your new king won't last too long, though.

well the sooner they die the sooner I may inherit Morocco :) 'always look on the bright side of life!' ;)

That Scandinavia looks threatening. It also looks like you are going to see unification of Russia and Britain...

Didn't you inherit any African territory due to your culture (Tuareg)? I sometimes see the AI Tripoli inheriting provinces in where now Hausa is. Secondly are you helping or are you going to help Hungary? :D

Last edited:
Do they gain provinces through patriots , or do they simple re-appear there?
BTW , nice point ... I think scandinavai isn't a threat as they have very low manpower , and usually not a huge fleet , here they are second , as vijayanagar would lose due to tech ...
And I agree on non historical outcomes , with non-western tech groups ending with about 30 tech in 1820 ...

That Scandinavia looks threatening. It also looks like you are going to see unification of Russia and Britain...

Didn't you inherit any African territory due to your culture (Tuareg)? I sometimes see the AI Tripoli inheriting provinces in where now Hausa is. Secondly are you helping or are you going to help Hungary? :D

good thing that those Vikings are Protestant - most of the time they fight the British which is sort of a win-win situation for me :)

I'm not really after PUs - the two which I already have had accidentally prevents me from switching to a republic which is one of the ultimate goals of this game.

and I did not help that Hungary :) - even without that they were much bigger at one point. a shame they cannot keep up with Bohemia/Austria techwise... though I will try and lend them a hand if the opportunity arises.

Man, dat tech level o' yours!

those who know me would say it's kinda 'epithet' of me not just in EU but in all kinds of strategic games - I usually stay small and research everything I can :D

Do they gain provinces through patriots , or do they simple re-appear there?
BTW , nice point ... I think scandinavai isn't a threat as they have very low manpower , and usually not a huge fleet , here they are second , as vijayanagar would lose due to tech ...
And I agree on non historical outcomes , with non-western tech groups ending with about 30 tech in 1820 ...

assuming that you are talking about Hungary here they managed to conquer all that on their own - even Pommerania. though with those poor home provinces AND the tech penalty they are pretty much doomed after all.

and the Scandies are busy with the English - in fact I'm surprised that they can hold the line against them. that's not very usual in this game.

update on tomorrow or maybe the day after - depends on work. so long!

Part 23 - Change of the Wind (1601-1609)

[video=youtube;A4OwGez8ffU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4OwGez8ffU[/video]

[shameless propaganda

two of the greatest rock bands of all time!

/shameless propaganda]

The great reformer Ali II was dead but his creation lived on - his son Muhammad followed him on the throne and the new sultan had quite a few plans about what he would do with his heritage. In fact he had more than enough time during the long reign of his father to came up with those plans. The question that remained: will he have the time required to execute all of them?

Nevertheless one thing Muhammad recognized in the last few years of his father's reign was the relatively decentralized system of the armed forces of Tripoli - the armies operated under regional commands and the autonomy of the captains in the fleet was even greater compared to that. This was kind of tradition amongst the Corsairs which originated in ancient times when every city and every 'tribe' was considered to be roughly equal to each other so a direct chain of command could not have been developed. Though - and that wasn't Muhammad's opinion only - for the sake of proper military operations against the threatening Emperor and the rising British Empire this had to be changed!

dec09e.jpg

So as one of his very first acts Muhammad ordered the implementation of a new command system in the army of the Corsairs - a brand new chain of command of which he would be the supreme commander. Along with this the numbers of the army were also extended so new, loyal officers could have been promoted and the overall discipline of the army has risen too.

Meanwhile it seemed that the late Ali II's thoughts about the economy were correct - even the otherwise not very rich wool market started to bring in exceptional profits.

misc2401.jpg

Though it was nothing compared to the yearly setting of 1602!

misc2402.jpg

Muhammad was in a very fortunate situation - his father had built up a strong economy and then he left it to his son to spend all the money on whatever his wishes would be.

And the good news just didn't stop arriving: one of the cities on the Island of Cuba which was 'acquired' during the last war with the Portuguese had reached the size when the tobacco plantations of it started to bring in more profits than expenses.

misc2403.jpg

It turned out that heading to West in the footsteps of the Infidels wasn't a bad idea after all - the riches of the New World were truly amazing compared to the bare sand of Northern Africa.

Though the home were still home and it seemed that the mamluk aristocrats of Alexandria also understood this as by the year of 1604 the very last of them had fled the city too towards their empire in decline.

misc2404.jpg

During the last decades the Corsair merchant class have slowly taken control of the local administration and it can be stated that their new system of governing brought much more joy to the citizens than any rulers of the city before - though it should be noted that the merchants used to call the all-time sultan 'despotic' and they always had 'better ideas' regarding the government. Yet they are merchants after all and nothing is good enough to them, right?

Meanwhile the implementation of the new command system in the army was going on and combined with the recent military success of the Corsairs it seemed to catch the interest of the foreigners too.

misc2405.jpg

All that left was the 'testing' of the reformed army - so war was declared on the pathetic Mamluks with the goal of liberating the Holy City of Jerusalem from their incapable authority.

misc2406.jpg

While Muhammad has bigger ambitions than Jerusalem, the strong alliance of the Emperor and the British made him to delay the execution of that plan - and it turned out that the Mamluks were to be the victims of this.

They offered literally no resistance - Corsair and allied armies marched through their country uncontested and their cities fell quickly to the hands of Muhammad who led the campaign personally.

misc2407.jpg

Even the economy didn't seem to feel the change of being at war.

In little more than a year the war was over - the Mamluks didn't have much choice than to hand over the keys of Jerusalem and along with it the rich salt mines of the Sinai Peninsula.

peace34.jpg

When the new Corsair garrison arrived at Jerusalem the people welcomed them with no less joy and hospitality as they had treated the Great Prophet Isa hundreds of years ago. They were truly fed up the weak Mamluk nobility after all.

Though there was a darker side of the campaign too - due to the concentrated armies of Tripoli and the endless deserts of the Mamluk Empire casualties in the Corsair army were higher than expected. To prevent this in the future an extended base equipment was designed for the soldiers (including clothes and the like) to protect them from the harsh conditions and the huge differences between the temperatures of the day and the night in the open desert.

misc2408.jpg

The prestige of Muhammad - as the new authority in Jerusalem - also rose in the eyes of the common Muslim people across the World.

misc2409.jpg

He even ordered the construction of a new mosque in Tripoli to show his faith and commitment towards Allah - in fact he was much more pious than any of his predecessors and he had plans for the Infidels under his rule as well...

And it seemed that not only Muhammad favoured Allah but Allah favoured Muhammad as well - in early 1607 his brother, Mansur - the Crown Prince - had fallen ill but after a week of fast and praying from Muhammad he miraculously healed.

misc2410.jpg

This fueled the piety of Muhammad even more - he started to look upon himself as leader of all Muslims and his ultimate goal was now none less than the destruction of all the highest Infidel authorities. The Pope was already a subject (in terms of the military at least) to him but now his ambitions were to see the English king (self-proclaimed leader of the Catholic infidels) and his Austrian ally (the Holy Roman Emperor) defeated. All he needed for this were bigger army and navy - or at least that was what he thought.

Lucky for him he had the best governors and statesman his father had had before and those men kept the economy running even in the zeal of their Sultan.

misc2411.jpg

The preparations for the war were disturbed by an unexpected message from the allied Syria - they attacked the small kingdom of Georgia on their northern borders and though the Novgorodian merchants chose not to help their allies the Syrians still requested the aid of Tripoli in the conflict.

misc2412.jpg

Muhammad agreed though he didn't bother to send any troops - the Syrians had all the advantage after all and the Sultan didn't expect the war to be very long.

His expectations were right after all. The war ended in one year with the result of Georgia being annexed by Syria. But for Muhammad there were bigger news too.

misc2413.jpg

Due to their long time financial aid in the wars the Crosairs have fought in the last decades the citizens of Pisa, Firenze and Ceuta were granted some privileges that didn't apply to all the subjects of Tripoli - with this Muhammad hoped to strengthen the Corsair rule in Italia and gain a strong bridgehead for the inevitable conflict with the Emperor...