• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mighty_Joker

First Lieutenant
70 Badges
Apr 23, 2008
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
I understand that Courtiers are members of the court; perhaps ministers, minor officials etc., but what do they actually do in CK2? I've seen various people's strategies involve filling their court with geniuses, or midas touched people, but why, and what for? I sometimes notice exiles entering my court, and obviously prominent vassal's families and the like, but is there actually any use to them? Is there anything more than just expanding your pool of candidates for the council slots?

Candidates for council slots
Knights to lead flanks in your armies
Educators for children
Potential marriage candidates for family and/or other courtiers

Well, it is also a pool for future vassals. You can try and breed content geniuses to take care of the extra land. Some of them come in handy when you are plotting to kill your infertile wife, say. The exiles come with claims that can be used in your favour if you are into that sort of thing. Brilliant courtiers can make great tutors for your heirs. They also trigger a lot more events that add more dynamism to your realm. They plot, they speak out for you sometimes, and some of them will even plot in your favour.

I generally try to create important families within my court. A family of marshals, or a family of stewards. After a couple of generations, I hand them some little title. It's great for roleplay stuff too.

Yep like others said, your courtiers can serve several important functions.

Or of course, you can choose to ignore them completely & never do anything with them really. The choice is totally up to you. You can get pretty deep into breeding them & stuff like that tho if thats your thing.

Sometimes it's fun dealing with exiles:
In a Prince and the Thane game as Herbert Karling I somehow acquired an Arabic exile in my court, since he was a good steward I put the man to work. After about a decade of him not misbehaving I asked if he would convert and he did so, I immediately hitched him to one of my cousins and educated his son to be a Frank and even gave him a county

Whenever I play, my courtiers always leave my court for other ones. I think it's odd that I will be an emperor and have a huge demesne and lots of money (and presumably a very nice palace) but they'll decide to run away and live off of some baron. How do I keep courtiers *in* my court? So that I can have extensive court-clans like the ones you just described?

Whenever I play, my courtiers always leave my court for other ones. I think it's odd that I will be an emperor and have a huge demesne and lots of money (and presumably a very nice palace) but they'll decide to run away and live off of some baron. How do I keep courtiers *in* my court? So that I can have extensive court-clans like the ones you just described?
Regular courtiers rarely leave, the -3 "no reason to move" along with -2 "base reluctance" means they must really love that guy that invited them or despise you. Courtiers with claims are more eager to leave and will generally except invites from people who might be able to push their claim.
So either you had a court full of claimants or they all hate you.

Well, it is also a pool for future vassals. You can try and breed content geniuses to take care of the extra land. Some of them come in handy when you are plotting to kill your infertile wife, say. The exiles come with claims that can be used in your favour if you are into that sort of thing. Brilliant courtiers can make great tutors for your heirs. They also trigger a lot more events that add more dynamism to your realm. They plot, they speak out for you sometimes, and some of them will even plot in your favour.

I generally try to create important families within my court. A family of marshals, or a family of stewards. After a couple of generations, I hand them some little title. It's great for roleplay stuff too.

Good god, I had no idea such micro was possible.