• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually disagree. The region was a focal point for both french and german nationalism, which if anything INCREASED after germany took it in 1870. Germany held those for almost 50 years, but France still wanted it back badly.
You can make a goverment hand the provinces over, but you can't really remove them from the french collective psyche. At least not in the short 100 year timeframe of the game.

Yes, but France didn't go to war with Germany every five years after 1871.

I forgot to add one thing.
Adding countries to a SOI should only allowed if there is no truce between them, or when they have relations higher then 0, because I had the following happen at least 3 times in my ottoman game:

France and Russia are both GPs and allied to each other.
I'm in the SOI of France.
This means I can't attack Russia because they are allied with my sphere leader.
I leave the french SOI, France declares war on me and Russia joins the war.
I win the war and take some russian land in the peace treaty.
10 Seconds after the end of the war Russia adds me to its SOI and I can't leave it until the truce is over.
A few years later I leave the russian SOI only to be added to french again directly after the war.

I wonder why steam is taking so long to post the patch, I really want to try Prussia/Germany in 1.3!

Yes, but France didn't go to war with Germany every five years after 1871.

True, but that is a case of faulty AI starting all sorts of wars it most likely cannot win. My suggestion is - keep working on the AI, but leave the cores as they are.

I forgot to add one thing.
Adding countries to a SOI should only allowed if there is no truce between them, or when they have relations higher then 0, because I had the following happen at least 3 times in my ottoman game:

France and Russia are both GPs and allied to each other.
I'm in the SOI of France.
This means I can't attack Russia because they are allied with my sphere leader.
I leave the french SOI, France declares war on me and Russia joins the war.
I win the war and take some russian land in the peace treaty.
10 Seconds after the end of the war Russia adds me to its SOI and I can't leave it until the truce is over.
A few years later I leave the russian SOI only to be added to french again directly after the war.

The only way this would work, normally, is if the AI had "saved up" influence points when you were not at war. Since you border Russian Empire, Russia will get influence at a faster rate than France (presuming you do not also border France). It would seem to be WAD then, but if that happened three times in a row, that's extremely odd. I do think, given your situation, that the Sphere-ee should have some say in the preference of the Sphere-er (although your answer would likely be "none of the above.") In my Ukraine game, I was almost sweating blood when Belgium was dangerously close to adding me to the Belgian sphere -- I don't want to be part of the "doormat of Europe" (in the Vicky 2 sense).

Maybe 10 seconds was a little exaggerated, but it always happened within a year.
France and Russia both wanted me in thier SOI so after a few years I always was at friendly with them.
I also shared a land border with france in my colonies, so they also got the neighboring bonus, so little to no chance for the UK or the US to add me (I would've loved to be in the UKs sphere, its like a free ticket to attack anyone you want)

It would only be fair and realistic that if you win a war against a great power you should get a chance to throw thier advisors, businessmen and whoever is represented by the influence value out of your country.
For example I don't believe there would have been many british left in China if China had won the opium wars.
This could be modeled by a war goal which has a -100 influence effect for a very low infamy hit and small prestige gain, or happen automatically if anything "better" then a white peace happens.

So far, in nearly all aspects that I have experienced the game is now far more playable and 1.3 is a big success. However... Im a relatively boring player and like to try and ensure everything is historically accurate, I play as the UK often and like to be the worlds policeman whilst preserving the balance of power. But im constantly frustrated by the way France seems to so rapidly industrialise. I know this issue has been raised on this thread but Im extremely angry at it. Even when not playing as the UK I like to play as Portugal or Spain, cosy up with Britain, and carve out a nice medium sized empire for myself, but I find this new super power France too imposing. Why is this happening to France? I do like a challenge at the top, and am happy to acquiesce Britains position as no1 Industrial power to Germany, USA or even Russia but France never even made it that close. Even after humiliating them they still grow too fast.

Any solution???

Historically, France had an extremely low birth rate in this era and tnat hindered it from becoming as powerful as it does in-game. Not sure how that could be simulated to be honest, but it is a factor.

Historically, France had an extremely low birth rate in this era and tnat hindered it from becoming as powerful as it does in-game. Not sure how that could be simulated to be honest, but it is a factor.

True. What I don't get is the huge difference between France's performance in 1.2 and 1.3? Obviously the dynamics of the game have shifted a bit but this is surely an unexpected side effect?

Just finished a USA game, here are some notes
-The Texas war of independence will always result in white peace. In fact, the armies of both countries are just standing on their home soil for a couple of years (at first I thought that this was caused by me adding Texas to my SoI and thus Mexico feared me intervening, but tried it again without me influencing Texas with the same result). Moreover, in one of those tries I inherited Texas while they were still at war with Mexico (see screen below) which doesn't make any sense really.
V2_452.jpg

-Somehow I felt that the +2% bonus troops give you when colonizing doesn't apply in 1.3 -or at least it is way too slower than in 1.2. In fact, Mexico colonized Colorado before me, even though I had troops there and the AI had none and they started colonizing a month before me.
-I had the already mentioned issues when recruiting brigades until ca mid 1880's.
-After winning a war against UK for a Canadian province the UK would have at most 5 brigades guarding Canada for the rest of the game -before the war their army there was at realistic levels, unlike 1.2 version where they would have something close to 500,000 soldiers there. Even worse, every 5 years they would declare war to me and would only use those 5 brigades to attack me, without sending reinforces. On top of that, after innevitably losing the war, they would immediately attack France with the same method and lose again.
-The war score needed to acquire any non-core province from Mexico is too high imo (I think one province even requires a 109 war score)
-Late in the game my government switched from intervensionism (democrats) to laisez faire (republicans). While democrats were on office I'd pay ca 100$/day on industrial subsidies for various factories. With the subsidies gone though only one factory was closed which I think is a bit unrealistic. Still, laisez faire works extremely better now than it did in previous versions.
-The AI would honour its alliances 99% of the time.
-Austria will always attack Denmark for S-H, unlike Prussia, which doesn't make too much sense.
-At some point France was #1, but in the end UK finished on top, with me second.

And a couple of suggestions for a next patch
-Lower the military score gain from dreadnoughts (I think now it is 20 points/ship)
-Add a remove core war goal and a "proclaim guarnatee" option
-Perhaps add a penalty to the industrial score of provinces who are not at the same geographical region as the home country. I don't think it is realistic that a level 5 cement factory in India is as significan as a level 5 cement factory in Manchester for example.
That's all, sorry for the long post.

-Somehow I felt that the +2% bonus troops give you when colonizing doesn't apply in 1.3 -or at least it is way too slower than in 1.2. In fact, Mexico colonized Colorado before me, even though I had troops there and the AI had none and they started colonizing a month before me.

Same scenario here. I was just popping in to ask if the Troop Bonus had been nerfed... They didn't have anything for miles, but grew at around the same rate.

I can actually understand if it was diminshed a little. In 1.2 I once out-dueled France when they had a 70% head start because of it, and nobody except Prussia bothered to send troops to move things along. Still, the advantage now seems a bit too minor...

There no longer is a troop bonus in colonising. The tooltip was erroneously not removed.

Has anyone modded African/Asian provinces to drastically reduce life ratings, to deter ahistoric immigration? Part of France's success, especially later in game, is its ability to transform African colonies into states and thereby build factories. In addition, if a European power captures any of the Middle Eastern sheikdoms, the European population in those provinces gets to about 90% within a few months. Would reduced life ratings help this at all or is colonial attraction just too great for POPs?

In addition to reducing life ratings, it seems a drastic reduction in the Colonial Migration values would be in order. A solution would be to "back load" colonial migration on later techs, thereby those bonuses take effect in later years (1890-1910) as opposed to earlier.

Finally, as other posters have mentioned, I'm noticing the AI spamming luxury furniture factories which greatly increases its industrial score. Capitalists in my country have yet to build one luxury furniture factory under laissez-faire, so this seems to be an AI-controlled only situation.

My video seems all messed up since I upgraded last night to 1.3. Many columns no longer line up properly when I look at various screens (armies, in particular -- the cavalry icon is now below the infantry, overwrting the first infantry unit's name).

Anyone else seeing this? I've played with resolutions to no avail.

Regarding the speeding up of colonization with troops, if its been taken out (lame), why does the tooltip still say they help?

This option has been removed as AI didn't use it. So, as apparently Devs were too lazy to improve the AI, they have chosen to make their life easier and our game poorer.

However, as in the same time they didn't pay much attention to the detail nor bothered to read carefully people's comments after beta patches, they overlooked the tooltip :D

This option has been removed as AI didn't use it. So, as apparently Devs were too lazy to improve the AI, they have chosen to make their life easier and our game poorer.

However, as in the same time they didn't pay much attention to the detail nor bothered to read carefully people's comments after beta patches, they overlooked the tooltip :D

I found out about this bug the hard way. I saw the US colonizing some places I wanted to colonize, and moved some troops there and started colonizing a little behind. The tooltip not only showed bonus but showed my completion time before theirs. Over time I realized... I wasn't catching up. My estimated completion time slowly increased while theirs was steady or decreased. Frustrating.

Additionally, France was a bit poor in useful resources for industrialisation, like coal and iron, while the game gives the country plenty of those. Both Germany and France have 4 Iron producing provinces, and France is likely to get 3 extra with the conquest of Algeria. Both of the countries also have about 8 Coal RGOs. In reality, France ought to be way behind in this.
Whether changing RGOs would actually affect the industrialisation all that much, I wouldn't know.

Additionally, France was a bit poor in useful resources for industrialisation, like coal and iron, while the game gives the country plenty of those. Both Germany and France have 4 Iron producing provinces, and France is likely to get 3 extra with the conquest of Algeria. Both of the countries also have about 8 Coal RGOs. In reality, France ought to be way behind in this.
Whether changing RGOs would actually affect the industrialisation all that much, I wouldn't know.

I don't think it would really; coal and iron tend to be over supplied in the world market, and usually the increase of effecisncy with techs far outpaces the demand for these resources.

Last edited:
I can understand some tweaks to the troop colonization bonus. Specifically, I would have preferred decreasing it a bit and trying to get the AI to use it more.

The problem with this now, is that there really isn't any race left, is there? The country that gets there first is the country that gets the province, just like in Vicky 1. No real need of enabling multiple countries to colonize in one place, even. I'd like to see some means of aiding speed, so that there is a possibility of a country jumping up from maybe as much as 20-25% behind. Let there be some excitement about it, without it being a game breaker...

Status
Not open for further replies.