• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi, Nice demo.
It managed to run smoothly on my computer :)

But my concern is that its no longer able to demand individual provinces ... which is kind of restrictive...
For example, maybe i would just like to have Hainan, But in the end had to demand for the whole of Guangzhou area....

Once the game is released commerically, you can easily redefine the provinces on Hainan island as a separate state by modding the file the regions are listed in (map/region.txt IIRC). State assignments are completely moddable to suit player preferences.

Well I looked at my POPs because of a large rebellion and about 80% of my capitalists get 0 income. I have no idea why.
They are now Jacobian rebels. Funny thing is 15k of them appeared but I only have 12k Capitalists, so I am guessing all of the non capitalists rebelled while the capitalists did nothing.

Anyways, anyone know why my Capitalists are not earning any money? Is it linked to the many projects?
BTW, most of the projects almost have all of the resources and there are now 5 more factories under construction, so it must take a long time for the res.

Factories take IIRC 1-2 years to build. Also capis income is spent in the following order

1- Taxes
2- Purchase Needs
3- Save Money for Projects

so if your taxes are too high, or if the cost of their needs is > their income, they will not be saving money to build projects.

Your factories and RGOs produce goods.

These goods go to the world market on their own. You do not market them.

Your POPs and factories get the first chance to purchase your production, for which they do not pay any tariffs you might have set.

If you have any producion left over, it is made available to consumers in other nations.

Your income comes from taxes you collect on POP income (which POPs pay FIRST before buying their needs) and from tariffs that you collect on goods your POPs purchase from overseas producers

If you have an SoI on another nation its consumers behave just like your domestic ones. They get second crack to purchase your production (after your own POPs) and you get second crack to purchase their production AFAIK. Any extra production the SoI junior member has is then sold on the world market for your junior's POPs' benefit.

Awesome. Another couple questions:
1. What happens to excess supply? Is it still sold to the world market and the pops get money from it, but then the goods disappear and the price goes down? Or do they just sit unsold until someone wants to buy them? Who owns them at that point, if they sit unsold; the capitalists, or the factories?

2. Is there any real point to getting people in your SoI if you have no tariffs? Seems like it doesn't increase or decrease the price of goods for you or your pops, and you can't devour them later. What is it I'm missing? Obviously it's good if you want to fill a union tag, but beyond that?

Awesome. Another couple questions:
1. What happens to excess supply? Is it still sold to the world market and the pops get money from it, but then the goods disappear and the price goes down? Or do they just sit unsold until someone wants to buy them? Who owns them at that point, if they sit unsold; the capitalists, or the factories?

2. Is there any real point to getting people in your SoI if you have no tariffs? Seems like it doesn't increase or decrease the price of goods for you or your pops, and you can't devour them later. What is it I'm missing? Obviously it's good if you want to fill a union tag, but beyond that?

1 - I think King will have to explain what happens here, I don't want to botch it.

2 - Nations in your SoI give you 2nd crack on their output in raw materials and industrial goods, so if there are raw materials you need and don't produce on your own, and have trouble getting supplies on the world market, having an SoI on a nation that produces them will give you an edge in getting those resources (since you get first call on them after the producers own POPs, rather than whatever your overall rank is in game which is what determines market acces in general in the World Market.) It also gives you access to new markets to sell your production, so if your factories are producing more than your nation needs of goods, your SoIs become their next market, which might not be the case if those nations are lower on the global ranking scale). At the same time, having the SoI instead of direct rule means you do not have any of the administrative costs of controlling the territory, so can be a cost-effective way to build an "informal empire" with economic access locked in without the headaches of administration and order maintenance.

Factories take IIRC 1-2 years to build. Also capis income is spent in the following order

1- Taxes
2- Purchase Needs
3- Save Money for Projects

so if your taxes are too high, or if the cost of their needs is > their income, they will not be saving money to build projects.

My taxes have been at 0% for the whole time.

The problem is that a bunch of my capitalists get 0 income when I check their POP and it has never changed.

And the factories just took a lot of time to gather money, now I have around 10 under construction.

Another funny thing I noticed is that all of my Caps are Dixie except for one Yankee and one African (lolz). So now I have tons of factories in the south, maybe it has to do with me favoring all of the events for the south so the north has a super high conscious. edit - I take that back, everyone has 10, I guess the South is simply doing better.

Also, I have a ton of unemployed craftsmen, around 15 POPs, but they ALL refuse to migrate. I have never seen one of them migrate and I have many empty factories.

Last edited:
I just had the American Civil War fire in September 1849 when I had no rebels at all and the average militancy of just about every southern province (as well as most of the rest of the US (except Hawaii and Panama :D)) was 0, with some as high as 0.2.

Isn't that a little...odd?

Last edited:
I just had the American Civil War fire in September 1849 when I had no rebels at all and the average militancy of just about every southern province (as well as most of the rest of the US (except Hawaii :D)) was 0, with some as high as 0.2.

Isn't that a little...odd?

IIRC the event is not triggered by militancy at all, but rather by the political decisions you have made during the course of the game and the political condition your country is in.

Had the CSA get a core on DC. I'm too scared to let them revolt, now.

The CSA got a core on DC in my game as well, they don't take it when they go, though it might enable them to add it as a wargoal or something.
Just accept the inevitable! :)

securedownloadta.jpg

securedownload1h.jpg

1 - I think King will have to explain what happens here, I don't want to botch it.

2 - Nations in your SoI give you 2nd crack on their output in raw materials and industrial goods, so if there are raw materials you need and don't produce on your own, and have trouble getting supplies on the world market, having an SoI on a nation that produces them will give you an edge in getting those resources (since you get first call on them after the producers own POPs, rather than whatever your overall rank is in game which is what determines market acces in general in the World Market.) It also gives you access to new markets to sell your production, so if your factories are producing more than your nation needs of goods, your SoIs become their next market, which might not be the case if those nations are lower on the global ranking scale). At the same time, having the SoI instead of direct rule means you do not have any of the administrative costs of controlling the territory, so can be a cost-effective way to build an "informal empire" with economic access locked in without the headaches of administration and order maintenance.

Okay, so you just want them in the SOI so you can get first dibs on rare goods they produce, is that the gist of it? If they make guns, and demand outstrips supply, you want to get their guns directly. Does price on the world market get affected only by the amount of supply released to it, and thus not sold internally?

Are the prices the same internally as on the world market? Because if so, it doesn't seem like having stuff produced internally helps at all. Prices still go up because world demand outstrips world supply, so even if your pops get all the opium they want from china, they pay more and more for it because there's not enough supply in the world for everyone to get it? I'm just not really understanding how the whole thing works, I guess, as far as prices go and the value of buying internally if tariffs are 0.

Oh, one more question: Does it help your people in any way to have tariffs? Seems to me that it either has no effect at all, assuming you make enough to keep them happy, or it hurts everyone, if they have to buy some elsewhere. Unless there's a different internal and world market price, the only thing it would change is that your bottom line gets greener because your pops spend more to fulfill their needs.

Also, thanks for the Q&A time. I fancy myself an economic man, and understood most of Vicky 1's intricacies, but I can't seem to grasp how the new world market works, even after reading the manual.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing: Since it's built on ratios, wouldn't that mean that excess demand on the world market increases the speed that a price inflates? So if you put someone in your SoI, and your demands became internal, because there's lower supply and demand on the world market in the same amount, it speeds up the movement of the price. So if you put someone in your SoI, you'll actually end up paying more for a rare good than otherwise, although you might not have gotten it before. For example: You want 5 iron, GB wants 5 iron, and china makes 6 iron. If it were on the world market, you wouldn't get enough iron, but the ratio of demand:supply would be 10:6, or ~1.66. However, if you put them in your SoI, then the world demand is 5 iron from GB and the world supply is 1 iron from China, which is what gets out of your internal market, and thus the ratio is 5:1. As you can see, that example has a greatly increased speed of price change, and if the internal and world market prices are the same, has you paying way more for iron in the long run. Now in a real situation it wouldn't be as drastic, but lower volume with the same difference increases the ratio, with a limit of 0 for the supply.

Last edited:
My first thoughts after a few years as the US are that:

1. The game runs fine. No HOI3 levels of FUBAR'd SNAFUs.

2. The event spam is a little much. Mind you I love events but I think its their repetitiveness that got to me a bit. Most were Civil War-related stuff though, pro or anti slavery and all that...

3. Though we can only take Regions in War, many regions at game start are split between several countries. If the US goes to war to reunify New England by taking Northern Maine from the British, they pay the full Infamy cost of annexing a state, ie 9 infamy.

To me thats a little silly. IMO whenever you own part a state you should either get a "contested state" CB or a plain Infamy discount for asking for the rest of it in war. It makes sense for regions to be split at game start, but reunifying them by asking for a single province should not cost 9bb.

4. Alot of songs from the soundtrack werent in the demo. Guessing thats intended.

great awesome game, conquered most of usa, exept washington state from britain, before it ended.

just one MAJOR issue (i dont know if it has been brought before) in some events i got the NULL_STATE, instead of the name of the state

IIRC the event is not triggered by militancy at all, but rather by the political decisions you have made during the course of the game and the political condition your country is in.

Can we get any more detail on how exactly this works? Because at the minute it seems pretty arbitrary and random. I'd been clicking all the pro-South, pro-Slavery options in the events, and I'd managed to keep everyone's militancy extremely low (except the Hawaiians and Panamanians), so why it suddenly happend and happened just when things seemed to have almost totally calmed down is a mystery.

Admittedly what with the South only getting 5 brigades in the secession and 4 of those being stuck in Hawaii as well as me being allied with half of Latin America meant that the war was something of a walkover, but I felt it sort of spoiled the last year and a bit of my otherwise extremely happy and successful and fluffy and lovely demo experience ;___;

Well I just finished the demo. The game seems quite stable, only one strange graphical 'flicker' that immediately went away.

The US Civil War fired up just before the time ran out, my armies were very close to taking Atlanta by that point. So close..

As for the economy: Each province of mine had level 2 infrastructure. Before the war, I had ZERO taxes and low tariffs which is quite a feat. No debt either :D

How can I increase the keyboard scrolling speed? It's really absurdly slow, and this isn't a technical limitation when mouse scrolling speed can be pushed so high. In the absence of scroll-into-cursor with faster scrolling, I prefer the keyboard.

Can we get any more detail on how exactly this works? Because at the minute it seems pretty arbitrary and random. I'd been clicking all the pro-South, pro-Slavery options in the events, and I'd managed to keep everyone's militancy extremely low (except the Hawaiians and Panamanians), so why it suddenly happend and happened just when things seemed to have almost totally calmed down is a mystery.

Admittedly what with the South only getting 5 brigades in the secession and 4 of those being stuck in Hawaii as well as me being allied with half of Latin America meant that the war was something of a walkover, but I felt it sort of spoiled the last year and a bit of my otherwise extremely happy and successful and fluffy and lovely demo experience ;___;

I think it's based on CON. That's what all the anti-Civil War decisions reduce and I only noticed the CSA getting cores when CON was more than 4 or 5ish.

just one MAJOR issue (i dont know if it has been brought before) in some events i got the NULL_STATE, instead of the name of the state

Ya I got this too.
But other then that, I loved the demo.
The game ran nice and smooth, and looked great.

I cant wait til friday!

I loved it and fully expect to buy the expansion. :D
My only problems:

You can't see where your armies are if you aren't zoomed in close enough. That makes givin orders to move far away a little difficult, though it isn't major.
It's a little hard to see the lines between provinces and states in political mode, though it may be just the color of the USA.
When I changed the trade sliders, it would always reduce the quantity by about 1.75 of whatever I was changing once I stopped viewing the resource. That was bothersome. :(

More positively, the Ostend Manifesto decision is awesome. I hope there are more decisions like that and Manifest Destiny in the full version. :cool:

Okay, I finished my first complete play-through. The following are various thoughts and comments.

I have alot of trouble keeping Artisans afloat, even with 0 taxes they still don't get life needs (no tariffs).

Capitalists are the same way. I think they sink all of their money into their projects before buying goods, or they don't get any money in new states due to the lack of pre-existing factories. I don't know which.

I can confirm serious interface-lag as the game goes on, particularly around the pop-menu, when deleting event-notifications from the side-bar, and moving troops between units.

American Civil War was too easy. I think they need more units and leaders.

Should I only be able to mobilize 1 brigade? That's what the interface tells me and I never did, so I don't know how many I would actually get.

I found it amusing that I had 20k New England Nationalists with a 0% chance of revolt. The root of the revolution seemed to be a few farmer pops that couldn't get life goods even when I lowered taxes to 0 (I had to raise tariffs to 25% to compensate, so that may have had some effect).

I'm not sure how I feel about how much the National Focii do. In some areas they seem to do alright (encourage pops like Craftsmen and maybe Bureaucrats), but the immigration focii didn't seem to do anything at all.

How does colonization work? The only bonus I can seem to get is placing a unit in the state, but that just gives a flat bonus. On the same note, I think the tooltip for how long the colonization will take could use some work, because the time taken is constantly advancing.

For the American Civil War, which war goal does the US start with? You can add another annex wargoal (which I did without realizing they already had one that would annex the CSA) and I think paid the penalty for not achieving it (but that could have also been the influx of mad Dixie pops, because the militancy went down with Reconstruction).

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.