• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the trick to beating Mexico is to make sure you get leaders. If you leave it on Auto-Create it's liable to waste leadership giving you some nice admirals that are so useful against the non-existing Mexican navy.

Which means, do not leave hiring to the AI. I never did it in Vic1 too.

EDIT: A ghost page! They always appear when any of the Paradox guys steps in. :p

I think the trick to beating Mexico is to make sure you get leaders. If you leave it on Auto-Create it's liable to waste leadership giving you some nice admirals that are so useful against the non-existing Mexican navy.

Yeah, it's best not to leave it on auto-create.

Also. first time I think I've gotten pretty smashed in a paradox game this badly. running a huge debt and mexico has forced me to a white peace.

Oh well, at least I got texas.

Which means, do not leave hiring to the AI. I never did it in Vic1 too.

In my France Beta AAR, one of the first things I did at the start was turn off auto-create leaders. This way I could keep the balance army-navy that I felt I needed (which as France was about 5 Army to 1 Navy for me, if I was playing for ex Britain it would have been different)

The game looks great and has all the depth I expected out of it, but it is proving to be more of a challenge than I anticipated. Right from the start factories start failing because of shortages of cotton (eh?) and other raw materials, craftsmen start getting unemployed, capitalists lose money, and subsidies just drive me into debt faster.

Like I said I'm loving what I'm seeing so far but I can't figure out what I'm not doing right here.

In my France Beta AAR, one of the first things I did at the start was turn off auto-create leaders. This way I could keep the balance army-navy that I felt I needed (which as France was about 5 Army to 1 Navy for me, if I was playing for ex Britain it would have been different)

Yeah, what I meant.

In which ratio does the AI hire the leaders when left on its own?

The game looks great and has all the depth I expected out of it, but it is proving to be more of a challenge than I anticipated. Right from the start factories start failing because of shortages of cotton (eh?) and other raw materials, craftsmen start getting unemployed, capitalists lose money, and subsidies just drive me into debt faster.

Like I said I'm loving what I'm seeing so far but I can't figure out what I'm not doing right here.

If the Factories do not earn enough money they won't buy their full inputs for the next day.

I'm trying to wreck the nation on purpose, to see what the USA will revolt into ... but no rebels are popping up! :D

I had troubles with Mexico at the beginning as well so i made peace SoIed and Allied them and concentrated on the economy and appeasing Dixie. So I attacked Spain to liberate Cuba as another Slave State which went well because UK remained neutral. But eventuelly the CSA seceded and YES YOU CAN play the CSA in the demo ;)

I'm trying to wreck the nation on purpose, to see what the USA will revolt into ... but no rebels are popping up! :D

rebellion isn't automatic, it does take time for the POP mil to rise to a level sufficient to generate rebels. If you open your politics screen, you should see in the bottom center a list of any rebel groups forming, the size of their support base, and the rate of their gain in stregth.

WOW! The start up speed was incredible! I've had a little play and I was overwhelmed by the information! I'll give it a proper run through later tonight, but the speed optimizations are amazing!

Lesson learnt: Try the tutorial FIRST! :)

Welcome to my 2nd USA game, after the AAR, gentlemen.

The release version is a much tougher opponent than the version I was playing my AAR with. You're going to have to play defensively for a while. Try to catch Santa Anna when he's fighting Houston and provide reinforcements. Houston's leadership plus your manpower should do the trick until you can get your own leaders.

You will have to go into a massive economic deficit to win!

As soon as manpower points build up, build new infantry brigades. You will need reinforcements, and try not to lose any existing. You are starting out out-manned and out-generaled. Be patient. You will eventually gain the initiative and can fight Mexico to a white peace. I would recommend that starting out you accept and prepare for the next phase.

Your first research should be for Romanticism. You want Manifest Destiny early on.:)

For what it's worth.

Pretty awesome. My only wish is that the size of the interface menus (production, technology, etc) used more screen real estate to make it easier to read. My resolution is 1680 x 1050 on a 22 inch screen, which makes for easy to read text, but in the game, it is hard for my thirty-year-old eyes to read!