• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kaarle XII

Colonel
58 Badges
Mar 29, 2001
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Sengoku is on offer on Gamersgate for only 7,49e, so the question is whether it's worth that? I own most Paradox games and have usually liked them, although often only with mods. I understand that Sengoku is pretty close to Crusader Kings, correct?

It's kinda bare compared to CK. Definitely not as many events and the objective to own half of Japan makes peaceful role-playing impossible/impractical. The fun comes from performing the high wire act of managing your list of neighbours (picking the targets for conquests and truces) while herding your vassals who are rather keen on stabbing you in the back or inheriting unexpectedly.
Feel a lot like many other Paradox games before they get the makes-it-awesome expansion.

I got this 2 hours ago for the sale price.

Its great, I can already tell it is going to be worth the cash for me. For the record, I love Vicky, HOI, EU and Crusader Kings (all version pretty much) and found Vicky and Crusader Kings to be my favourites.

Yes, it's worth it. Go and get it. Not as deep as other PI games but still very good.

I got it at sale price and played for an hour or so. Its a very linear game, with not alot to do except goto war with your neighbours. Even managing the characters is a bit simplistic. It definatley doesn't compare to CK (1 or 2).

That said, for £7, its not too bad as a kind of coffee break game.

Yes, Sengoku is well worth a purchase-with the caveat that just like everything else, your interest in the subject matter will have a lot to do with how much you enjoy it. In my case, I find Sengoku much superior and more fun than Crusader Kings 1 or 2-in large part due to the fact my specialty is pre-modern Japanese history.

You should get Sengoku when you want some challenging action oriented strategy. It's primarily a game about warfare and conquering, where diplomacy and plotting are just tools to get an advantage in land grabbing. Fun to play, but don't expect CK-like experience.

I think the main strenght of the game is the fact that it's relatively simple for Paradox game, so the AI knows how to play as well, and can give you a proper challenge most of the times.

You should get Sengoku when you want some challenging action oriented strategy. It's primarily a game about warfare and conquering, where diplomacy and plotting are just tools to get an advantage in land grabbing. Fun to play, but don't expect CK-like experience.

I think the main strenght of the game is the fact that it's relatively simple for Paradox game, so the AI knows how to play as well, and can give you a proper challenge most of the times.

This. As much as it sounds counterintuitive, its simplicity makes it difficult because the AI excels. :)

*sigh*
My only real attempt at seriously playing Sengoku bogged down into an 80-year war. Decades of slaughter in the same provinces, front line fluctuating but never moving. If I ever go back to that save I'll just start inciting unrest, because Ikko-Ikki are the only guys who can make a strategic difference. The simplification of the mechanics is what made such a long and boring clash possible. At least the AI works wonders in controlling narrow passages and going through the routine of re-raising levies.

Last edited:
At least the AI works wonders in controlling narrow passages and going through the routine of re-raising levies.

Good points, Sel. Although it may not have as many options as some other Paradox games, I think Sengoku has one of the stronger AI's to play against, and that makes it more challenging.

Because the game is so narrowly focused on warfare, there just isn't much for the AI to get caught up in doing otherwise. It follows the same rules, raises its army and fights. It doesn't waste time or money trying to send merchant #5,667 to a market which it only has a 2.7% chance of competing. Instead, it raises its first wave of levies, converts to Buddhism, gets the levy regen bonus for the next wave, and marches. A very simple set of options, which it can be specialized for.

I watch a lot of the "Let's Play" videos for Paradox games on You Tube, and it surprises me that Sengoku isn't more popular. Most replays of EU3 & CK2 focus on raising armies and conquering - exactly what this game is built for! :rolleyes: If that's what you're into, you really can't go wrong with Sengoku. For these prices (on sale), it's an excellent buy.

Last edited:
Are there any good mods for it?

Are there any good mods for it?
Only one. Chatnoir's mod. Might not sound like much, but it's basically Sengoku+. Lots of improvements all around.
Still at 0.66 so some parts like new scenarios are unfinished, not everything is implemented and such but it's progressing.

Unless Paradox has something in store for us, this will be one thing that will keep Sengoku going for a long time.

Lucky me for waiting a little longer, the price was dropped to 4,50e! Couldn't resist anymore so I finally bought it. Too bad I've just bought Victoria II also so won't have time for Sengoku yet.

Had the opportunity to play some decades, and couldn't resist choosing Tokugawa Ieyasu (I love James Clavell's Shogun!). But so far, I've been quite disappointed. There doesn't seem to be that much to do, might be partially because I'm a vassal though. I don't have much knowledge about feudal Japan, but were the title holders under daimyos really this unindependent? I can't wage any wars, neither within the clan or against others, and I can't even use my own levies!

I can't wage any wars, neither within the clan or against others, and I can't even use my own levies!
You can hire a personal retinue and ronin if you're lucky (and rich), invest into raising honor long-term, find some good marriage options, plot for independence. Interacting with other clans on this level is limited to sending ninja.
Actually, I wonder... does kokujin ninja-kidnapping a hostage increase the honor price of attacking the entire kokujin's clan for the clan whose character was stolen?

There doesn't seem to be that much to do, might be partially because I'm a vassal though. I don't have much knowledge about feudal Japan, but were the title holders under daimyos really this unindependent? I can't wage any wars, neither within the clan or against others, and I can't even use my own levies!

Kaarle, I think the game plays best as a clan leader. The vassals are very limited in capability, and have (as you've found) few options. If you're going to start as one of them, be prepared for a slow game. It can take up to a century to set a vassal up for independence!

My recommendation here is to start the game as the Daimyo that has the vassal you're interested in. Then set the vassal you're actually interested in being up for independence while playing the clan leader. Save the game, reboot, and select the vassal as your new character to play. Declare your independence and continue on from there. (You can choose any character alive in the game to play from a save.) It'll save you a lot of time, and you can tailor the vassal to give him a court and a good start.

Note: I think you can also do this if your heir is not your son when you die: (Guessing a bit...never tried it yet, heh.) Let's say you have Doofus the Incredibly Diplomatic, zero-martial skill son. And, standing off to the right, #2 Son of Generic Sibling 571, next in line for succession, with an 18 martial skill. Nominate and support the good military leader as clan heir, let him inherit, and select him to play off a save when you die. Should be much more fun!

Last edited: