• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheGreatSnoop

Colonel
20 Badges
May 15, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
:ninja:

I'm never sure how far back it's 'okay' to marry someone related to you in-game, but I'm confused as to why the King of England in my current game, a member of house de Normandie, is perfectly able to marry a woman of the same house?

I tried to trace her lineage back to find a common descendant between them, but due to the dynasty page being laggy as anything, and the family tree being pretty confusing at time, I can't. Surely, however, the fact they are off the same house means that they do share a common ancestor along the lines of William the Bastard?

Or posibbly one of William's siblings. He does have a few I think.

But you are technically able to marry as close as cousin, same house or no.

You own siblings and parents' siblings can't normally be married.

It wasn't uncommon for cousins to marry, let alone more distant relatives. It's actually kind of funny, because I was reading some medieval history earlier today and came across the wiki for a Duchess of Aquitaine who was able to get her marriage to the King of France annulled due to be being related within 4 generations(true reason being that only daughters had been produced and other political reasons), and then she married the King of England who was an even closer relative(3 generations).

It wasn't uncommon for cousins to marry, let alone more distant relatives. It's actually kind of funny, because I was reading some medieval history earlier today and came across the wiki for a Duchess of Aquitaine who was able to get her marriage to the King of France annulled due to be being related within 4 generations(true reason being that only daughters had been produced and other political reasons), and then she married the King of England who was an even closer relative(3 generations).

Yes, slipping 200 ducats to the Pope worked just as well in real life as in the game!

I presume we're talking about Eleanor of Aquitaine, who Henry II married because he really fancied her huge ... tracts of land

Last edited:
The game does create random courtiers, and in the Norman case, name them "de this-or-that". Therefore, it is possible that the family of William and this woman are completely unrelated. Moreover, if you can't find an ancestor easily, it could be that they're distant cousins, and so easily OK to marry.

You own siblings and parents' siblings can't normally be married.

I think I've seen uncle-niece marriages.

This is off-topic but in my current game I have a kid betrothed to his great-aunt. The difference in age between them, however, is 4 years, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain

Charles the Hexed, always relevant to these threads.

The inbreeding was so widespread in his case that all of his eight great-grandparents were descendants of Joanna of Aragon and Duke Phillip of Austria.

That Habsburg generation was more prone to still-births than were peasants in Spanish villages.

Why wouldn't you be able to marry someone from your dynasty?

It is perfectly legal to marry your cousin even today (at least it is in Germany and in the most other states, too).

Einstein for example married his cousin.

the church officially required you to marry someone that was more than 7 generations away. so it was actually smart to marry someone a tad closer, as the rule wasnt enforced and if she proved to be infertile you could jst go to the pope and complain she isnt 7 generations away. it was also a good way to keep lands in the family with a female heir.

In a smaller kingdom, it can be hard not to. In 1066, Scotland only has about a half-dozen Dunkelds. One century on, there are near to ninety, and only the Earls of Teviotdale (House of Bamburgh) and Buchan (House Buchanan) are not Dunkelds. Dunkeld-Dunkeld marriages are becoming distressingly common, even with me arranging for my kin to marry abroad.

My royal marriages to fertile, unrelated foreigners must be the problem; perhaps I should start marrying my cousins - the Argyll Dunkelds maybe, or the Strathearn Dunkelds, or the Clydesdale Dunkelds, or the....

/wanders off, muttering 'Dunkeld' over and over.

I had a game as Wales were I gave pretty much everything I conquered to brothers and other family members. All my dukes and counts kept marrying each other by around the 13th century pretty much every one of my lords had the blood mark for a relative on both sides of the marriage. I was concerned about inbreeding but it never popped up, mostly they were marrying people who were only distantly related.

I had a game as Wales were I gave pretty much everything I conquered to brothers and other family members. All my dukes and counts kept marrying each other by around the 13th century pretty much every one of my lords had the blood mark for a relative on both sides of the marriage. I was concerned about inbreeding but it never popped up, mostly they were marrying people who were only distantly related.
Same thing! Never a single inbred child

Same thing! Never a single inbred child

Shortly after I started playing I saw a thread where someone claimed that 3 degrees of separation (shared great grandparents) means you should have no more paradox genes in common than if you married someone at random. Apparently inbred children are based on genes in common.