• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You have to put the buildings in yourself. It takes quite a long while to do it (and do it well). However, you'll soon find the apartments (the higher buildings which fit into corners and along streets - I have the German version and they're "Blockhäuser") work well and then also groups of tower blocks, placed artistically and then landscaped with things like trees and vegetation really look quite authentic. It's not like Sim City where you have to zone things. I'm doing a very large map and it DOES take time to do. But I am loving being creating and imagining "OK, what WOULD be located here? Does that look REAL?". Remember that people need places to live, places to work and places to shop/have fun. It's actually a completely different concept to the transport part of CiM as you have to build the cities and the infrastructure OUTSIDE the transport network. But have fun, be creative, create the city YOU want...

komandor, as soon as modders find a way to import user created objects, I'm sure a lot of 3d modellers will start building stuff for CiM. I know I will!! :) The biggest concern is textures.. It takes a lot of time to make good looking textures. Modeling isn't the problem really. .

As for your questions on how to make residential areas, I'm starting to record a new video tutorial about that right now. ;)

The most terrible thing - that it is possible to build roads and bridges only once every 45 degrees, and my card does not fit any any other option arrangement. I really hope that you modify it in the patch.

A great deal if you come here teaching urban video works. I thought I'd make the city of Lappeenranta. The city has a population of about 80.000. And it is Finland's largest lake, Lake Saimaa. Also, the city of Vyborg would be an interesting project.

Follow my tutorial thread. It's constantly being updated as soon as my videos are ready on Youtube. I probably won't make more tutorials until next week. But more WILL come. ;)

Right now I'm exporting a 20 minute video about making airports. So stay tuned, there's one more update for today coming in a few hours.

I'll experiment with "downtown" kind of building soon, and make a video about that when I'm satisfied with it.

One question to people who know or to the devs. Does traffic lights and traffic signs have an effect on the traffic? Do the cars follow the signs or is it just for the beuty? Its important because if they follow the signs I can screw up the traffic with a misplaced sign?!?

EDIT: I think traffic lights work and that cars 'use' them but what about the signs.

Oh and could you please add how to extract/upload a map to other players in your tutorials?

axiomtk, I'll do some research on the traffic lights and traffic signs tonight. I'll make a video to cover how to make your map ready for download, and how to install a downloaded map in a new video. Can't promise when, but it'll come.

axiomtk, I'll do some research on the traffic lights and traffic signs tonight. I'll make a video to cover how to make your map ready for download, and how to install a downloaded map in a new video. Can't promise when, but it'll come.

Thanks man, your videos are great keep up the good work!

I'm trying to make a map of Saint-Petersburg. I need to make a lot of island, and becouse island's banks are not stright it is hard to build bridges because of 90 degrees rotating limit. Or I can't make stright streets, because I need 30 degrees but it's available only 45 derees locating. Don't know what to do with this. I noticed that game works properly with stright horizontal or vertical steets, rivers etc.

It's because of the grid system, and you will need to work around it. Make a compromise when you need to. It's not a city builder, nor a city simulation. So stick to what you can do. :)

Obviously, you can't make a replica of your favorite city. If that's your goal, go with Cities XL...

Make the streets straight on or in 45 degrees as needed. I think most people will have fun playing the map anyway. I've never been to St. Petersburg, so I wouldn't know anyway. ;)

I just though that can make all the streets and prospects as they are in real, but understood the I can't, so it have saddened me. For example on Vasilyevsky Island most street are stright and perpendicular to each other, but but the slope of the viewer is about 30 degrees.
Ok, I'll try to make real islands with schematic street system.