• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IndoEsia45

Lt. General
23 Badges
May 18, 2007
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
So this is my first game time with CK2 after playing EUIV. I played as a Count of Plauen under the Duke of Meissen in the middle of HRE just so I can get peace and some titles. In my marriage with Irish petty princess, I somehow managed to produce 4 females and 1 male offspring, who quickly became my heir and my next count. Ok so I (the new Count of Plauen) then decided to arrange some matrilineal marriages with the princes of England. One by one, I married my sisters to all available English princes , one of them had been in the line of succession to the Kingdom of England and several other small duchies and counties. My dynasty practically became some sort of spouse provider to the English. I even married the only princess of England myself just to sweeten the union. But then sometime afterwards, all of my English uncles, lost their place in the line of succession. The kingdom itself was to be inherited by someone outside of the original ruling dynasty. So I asked myself, what happened? Maybe it was because they all had a German wife? After few years, one of my cousin, managed to get the position as Earl of Cumberland, though still, my plan to inherit England in Saxe-Coburg-Gotha style failed. :(

Also check to see if the Succession law has changed. Either the gender component (to Agnatic) or the method (Elective, Tanistry, Primogeniture, Seniority, etc.). If the Succession law changes multiple times (say to Seniority, then goes to an old guy matrilineally married and he then changes to Primogeniture), then it can explain a lot.

When did you start? Because in the 1066 start dates England tends to be really unstable, especially in the earlier date.

It's the earliest start, so yes 1066.

Also check to see if the Succession law has changed. Either the gender component (to Agnatic) or the method (Elective, Tanistry, Primogeniture, Seniority, etc.). If the Succession law changes multiple times (say to Seniority, then goes to an old guy matrilineally married and he then changes to Primogeniture), then it can explain a lot.

I'll look into that. So what actually happened here with the succession law?

It's hard to say what happened without more details.

Here are a few possibilities that I can brainstorm off the top of my head:

- Maybe the English uncles became bishops which disqualified them from succession

- Maybe the English uncles got blinded or castrated (unlikely, but technically possible)

- Maybe the English uncles are the result of a matrilineal marriage. And a recent succession law to Agnatic excludes them from succession (since inheritance under Agnatic does not go through or to a female).

- Maybe High Crown Authority is preventing the inheritance. Could be an issue if the English uncles are landed or heirs to titles that are outside the realm.

- Change to Elective succession law could easily result in an heir of a different dynasty

- Change to Primogeniture, Gavelkind, or Ultimogeniture could also result in a surprising result, if an unexpected matrilineal marriage messes things up

It's hard to say what happened without more details.

Here are a few possibilities that I can brainstorm off the top of my head:

- Maybe the English uncles became bishops which disqualified them from succession

- Maybe the English uncles got blinded or castrated (unlikely, but technically possible)

- Maybe the English uncles are the result of a matrilineal marriage. And a recent succession law to Agnatic excludes them from succession (since inheritance under Agnatic does not go through or to a female).

- Maybe High Crown Authority is preventing the inheritance. Could be an issue if the English uncles are landed or heirs to titles that are outside the realm.

- Change to Elective succession law could easily result in an heir of a different dynasty

- Change to Primogeniture, Gavelkind, or Ultimogeniture could also result in a surprising result, if an unexpected matrilineal marriage messes things up

Additionally: In 1066, the throne of England has more pretenders than grains of sand on a beach. The king tends to get kicked off the throne a lot, especially if William or Harald succeed in their conquest.

Not only that, but someone (or multiple people) could have had sons. For the likely succession laws, Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture, the king having a son will default succession to him. If the current heir has a son then that son will be added to the line of succession after all the king's sons. Like so:

King has one sons, 3 brothers, and 2 daughters. The succession goes:
  1. Son
  2. Older Daughter
  3. Younger Daughter
  4. Oldest Brother
  5. Oldest Brother's Sons
  6. Oldest Brother's Daughters
  7. Middle Brother
  8. Middle Brother's Sons
  9. Middle Brother's Daughters
  10. Youngest Brother
  11. Youngest Brother's Sons
  12. Youngest Brother's Daughters
  13. Sisters
  14. Sisters' Sons
  15. Sisters' Daughters
  16. Uncles
  17. Uncles' Sons
  18. Uncles' Daughters
  19. Aunts
  20. Aunts' Sons
  21. Aunts' Daughters

So as you can see, if your daughter is matrilineally married to the Youngest Brother, then you have to go through all the King's sons, daughters, the other brothers and their sons and daughters all before the Kingdom passes to the Youngest Brother. Even if he was say... third in line before, if his older brother had a couple of sons, and the king had a couple of daughters, then suddenly the Younger Brother is back to being 10th in line.

It gets even more convoluted when dealing with multiple generations -- The king's grandson will inherit before the king's brother will, or even the second son. The king's brother's grandson will inherit before the king's youngest brother.

The heir being of a different dynasty is very easy to rationalize -- One of the king's daughters who is dead could have had a son before she died.

Last edited:
1066 TSB BM ... England is elective.

1066 TSB BM ... England is elective.

Ah then that must be the reason for the shift in the succession. I have checked the game, and yes, I had attached every offspring of the English king with my offspring, in hope to inherit England in one swoop.

No problem though, I played the game several hours again today and I managed to inherit Duchy of Tuscany. :happy: