• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does an earthquake that kills 90 % of the province population and 55 % of an adjacent province's population sound? The chances for that outcome are low, but it's possible.

Plain insane.

Sounds like someone didn't think things through game-wise. Sure, the city might be devastated, but the countryside isn't and people will usually move in again. (Decidedly faster than the games growth rate allows for.)

The Lissabon earthquake (a rather major one, kill-wise) killed 10-20% of the population in one city. 20% should thus be the maximum, and 10% a better maximum. Then add a timed modifier for "devastated province" which removes most of the production and taxes for a year or two, and you'd get a truer representation of an earthquake. (Stability malus optional.)

Good luck with your maize - I'm afraid that trade 15 and going north might be the only way to get more ;)

Plain insane.

Sounds like someone didn't think things through game-wise. Sure, the city might be devastated, but the countryside isn't and people will usually move in again. (Decidedly faster than the games growth rate allows for.)

The Lissabon earthquake (a rather major one, kill-wise) killed 10-20% of the population in one city. 20% should thus be the maximum, and 10% a better maximum. Then add a timed modifier for "devastated province" which removes most of the production and taxes for a year or two, and you'd get a truer representation of an earthquake. (Stability malus optional.)

Good luck with your maize - I'm afraid that trade 15 and going north might be the only way to get more ;)

But these are Incas. They live on mountains. When the mountains shake hard, they fall off. And as many are living on the mountains, many fall and die. And that is why Incas never in otl became a superpower.

But these are Incas. They live on mountains. When the mountains shake hard, they fall off. And as many are living on the mountains, many fall and die. And that is why Incas never in otl became a superpower.

That and the whole sea thingy...

Nice read! This makes me contemplate playing a non-Western nation (I've been too chicken thus far). It also makes me really, really want to upgrade my Complete to HTTT, but that may need to wait a bit. Finally, the earthquakes and disasters scare the be-jeeb-ers out of me, but I may have to try the MEIOU mod sometime.

Now this is curious. We're able to procure tens of thousands of horses from the Portuguese, and somehow they all end up in South America? How did that happen, did they swim?!?

Maybe the Portuguese do deliveries. Only fair given the massive cost of that procurement contract. Are you concerned that in the case of a war the Portuguese can cut off your supply of horses?

Eliminating Tlacopan would make you the only native power south of the Rio Grande (or whatever it gets called in this game).

Sorry guys, RL - work/career mostly - has been next to hellish for the last few weeks (the same reason there was a delay on the update two weeks ago) and I can't really get stuff here more often than about once a week. I'm typically not in a creative mood these days and I don't want to post anything subpar.

To cut a long story short: Person A screws up. Person B, whose performance has always been very good, is asked to correct the resulting situation, which is pretty much impossible to correct. When Person B struggles to correct said impossible to correct situation, he finds out that unless he succeeds, he'll have to find some other way to pay the rent. Meanwhile, Person A seems to see no consequences at all for the original screw-up. Guess which I am, A or B? :(

I'll try to put something together in the near future, but don't be shocked if updates aren't that frequent until this crap is sorted out.

Wow, that doesn't sound much fun at all for person B. If I were them I might consider telling my bosses it's their problem now and handing in my notice. Much easier said than done though. :(

Hope things pick up soon. Like everyone else I'm enjoying the (shaky) ride!

Last edited:
Hey, Bee, sorry to read that... i understand how you feel, believe me (although my situation was much less idre than yours... my version of person A got kicked out).

So take the time you need. We'll still be waiting for your updates when your sky clears up ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, both of you. :)

If I were them I might consider telling my bosses it's their problem now and handing in my notice. Much easier said than done though. :(

Oh, I've been keeping my eyes open for a job opening for months now as I haven't been happy with my situation at all. I even mentioned one interview in this thread. However, the problem is that there are extremely few jobs available in my line, and I have very little savings to boot, so I just have to deal with this for now. After all, the described treatment is better than I ever got from unemployment officials IIRC. :D

Thanks for the encouragement, both of you. :)

Oh, I've been keeping my eyes open for a job opening for months now as I haven't been happy with my situation at all. I even mentioned one interview in this thread. However, the problem is that there are extremely few jobs available in my line, and I have very little savings to boot, so I just have to deal with this for now. After all, the described treatment is better than I ever got from unemployment officials IIRC. :D

D*mn the Finlands current financinal state there is so much unemployed people :(

Hope it comes together for you at work - that sort of problem is more common than it should be but it's always easy for lazy managers to blame the person with the mop for the mess on the floor.

Hope it comes together for you at work - that sort of problem is more common than it should be but it's always easy for lazy managers to blame the person with the mop for the mess on the floor.

Sure, good luck with the job. Maybe, you'll get something new or maybe this situation will eventually boil over again (and again) and it will be someone else's...GO time. As in go and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Re: the work situation - I'm learning something new about myself. I did some subtle and sneaky pulling of the strings, and now Person A will spend a decent while doing an incredibly annoying assignment. And she doesn't even know I had anything to do with it.

The fun thing is, my situation hasn't changed at all and my future employment is still murky, but I've been in a really good mood since yesterday morning when this happened. Turns out I'm a vengeful bastard after all. :D And well, since I'm in a good mood, I felt like doing an update for a change. :)

Possibly a bit powerful in HT³x... however, with the greater requirement in magistrates in DW, that might be necessary :p

Heh, could be. :)

Who wants cacao when they could get nice fish? :confused:
Europeans'?

It's kinda fun that our South American citizens have stopped producing any staple foods and are just going for chocolate. Sounds healthy. :D

It's the horses, they've escaped from portuguese control and spread all over south america and the rest of the americas, eating all the maize they can find. Fishermen have had to stop fishing to use their nets to catch horses, all that lumber has gone iinto stables and corrals to house all the horses and horses don't like cacao. Now you get to ride those horses.

:rofl: Good explanation, well done!

Looks like Tlacopan is about to get hit. Can't see why you'll be distant overseas taking morethan one province, when those nice kind Lubeck merchants ensure regular communication?

:D It's funny how the southeastern part of Mesoamerica is treated just like the homelands, and then there's suddenly this invisible border in the air and the provinces beyond it don't produce anything...

**** cacao everyone knows that salmon is the way to go :cool:

Actually, IRL I'd be mighty cool with both. :D

I wish I had all that cacao. The Incan Empire sounds like a fun place to live. Chocolate + volcanoes = hot chocolate for everyone!

:rofl: That's one heckuva fireplace to be sipping in front of!

At least the Portuguese are on the mainland, so having the horses migrate down to Peru isn't totally ludicrous. In my first MEIOU game, I was quite surprised to see the Aztecs fielding over 30 cavalry regiments, even though no European had landed on the mainland. Did the horses swim to Mexico from Cuba?

Well, they totally swam from Mesoamerica to Peru, Cuba to Yucatan especially is way shorter. :D

:wacko: The westernization rules in MEIOU are about the same as in vanilla... especially in the requirement of a neighbouring european. How did they get cavalry ?

The same way I did - at land tech 10 in the New World tech group.

So, you're an empire now. Excellent :)

Yup. Fits the whole Inca Empire thingy. ;)

cacao and horses
things in Inca land are looking up...don't look too high at the slumbering volcanos though
you never know what will anger the gods.

That makes me wonder... The horses aren't that smart, are they? I mean, why on earth would they make the effort to swim to the hell pit that is South America?

You should definitely get some really nice bonuses around Valentine's Day...

Sure should have the requirements in place... ;)

Do I hear the war drum? But you're not going to attack the Portuguese, are you?

I can't really start working on throwing them out until I've used them to westernize.

They hadn't westernized. They simply were able to research them on their own. My invasion did take place in the mid 1600s, so they had enough time for that.

Yeah, even in this game the AI Tlacopan is only one level away in ca. 1560.

So your evil empire won't stop until the whole world is covered in chocolate? :rofl:

The plan is to distribute it it all over with lava from the volcanoes. Sadly the Incas aren't aware yet that most of the rest of the world doesn't have that level of activity.

You guys are missing the best one!

Gold + cocoa = Chocolate coins! :eek:

Haha, I gotta agree with Iwanow here, great one!

Plain insane.

Yeah I agree, it's a bit much especially when you hit the worst options...

Nah, I still have one nation to bully around. :D After that, true.

But that's a controversial theory. Some scientists disagree. ;)

Nice read! This makes me contemplate playing a non-Western nation (I've been too chicken thus far). It also makes me really, really want to upgrade my Complete to HTTT, but that may need to wait a bit. Finally, the earthquakes and disasters scare the be-jeeb-ers out of me, but I may have to try the MEIOU mod sometime.

Thanks and welcome, your AAR is a nice one too!

New World nations aren't typically interesting at all in vanilla, but there are pretty cool nations in Asia etc. so you should certainly try out other areas besides Europe. :)

The disaster frequency has a lot to do with playing in South America. MEIOU is heartily endorsed.

Maybe the Portuguese do deliveries. Only fair given the massive cost of that procurement contract. Are you concerned that in the case of a war the Portuguese can cut off your supply of horses?

Not really, we already have a pretty insane number. :D

Eliminating Tlacopan would make you the only native power south of the Rio Grande (or whatever it gets called in this game).

The only native power in America IIRC, actually. This version of MEIOU has no North American natives (a performance choice I believe).

If the ground starts shaking, an update is coming.

Haha, isn't it handy to have an indicator like that? No need to check your subscriptions.

Cuzco made it, so will you! :)

Thanks to everyone for your best wishes! I had to bring this one up as this is a good guideline to follow in life. :D FinnishFish makes a good point too, there just aren't that many options around...

Chapter Thirty-two
1558-1561

So in July, one month after canceling our alliance, it's time to declare war on Tlacopan.

34_01.jpg

They really shouldn't have much of a say here.

Later in the month another Gifted Teotl seeks his place in our Empire, and as always, I happily welcome him. This is a very good one!

34_02.jpg

Whoa! Nice stats. Poor Tlacopan, they never had a chance to begin with and now I get a six shock and six fire guy with maneuver pips to boot.

General Llicllic dislodges Tlacopan's secondary army from their capital in August.

34_03.jpg

Days later, our new super general Pomacapi lifts a siege that Tlacopan was able to start. He slaughters everyone in the process.

Llicllic starts chasing the army that he beat, while Pomacapi removes any siege forces on our lands. Smaller forces start spreading around to begin sieges in safe provinces.

In October, Pomacapi crosses the border to one of Tlacopan's northern provinces in order to fight Tlacopan's main army. It goes well enough.

34_04.jpg

After throwing that army around some more, Pomacapi sees an opportunity to get the defensive side on the secondary army, as that one has been retreating towards the area. The secondary army is destroyed in late November.

34_05.jpg

Xilotepec is the first Tlacopan province to fall in December.

To add insult to injury, Tlacopan's weakened main army is wiped out in a remote province by a leaderless siege stack.

34_06.jpg

Tlacopan starts offering white peace. Hehe, as if.

Cempaloa falls as 1559 rolls around. Good, as it is the prime target province. I seize it immediately.

34_07.jpg

I notice that Bombards - a better form of province defense - has become available. I take the decision just in case in provinces that border Portugal.

34_08.jpg

I take a look at Meztitlan, one of the provinces that we're sieging. Turns out that it's another one of those dying provinces.

34_09.jpg

It's adjacent to the recently deceased Axocopan, so perhaps it was the same natural disaster that nuked both of these cities back to colonies.

When we reach February, it turns out that this war wasn't such a great idea after all:

34_10.jpg

Gaah! The benefits that we get for this campaign aren't anywhere close to compensating for this. It might be smart to end the war and sell the province back, but where's the attitude in that? And besides, I suppose there's the strategic benefit of keeping Portugal out as they're sailing in the area menacingly.

Little happens early in the year as Tlacopan is out of troops and I wait for sieges to finish. Rebels do keep me busy though.

I decide in May that it's time to build Workshops in a few Mesoamerican provinces. The rich Maya cities like Uxmal and Tikal give me pretty much the same income as some of my poorer South American areas, so it's worthwhile to do this now. These provinces are going to be very strong when nationalism runs out.

Later in May an assault succeeds in Caxcan. I grab the maize province.

34_11.jpg

Tamaholipa falls soon after and Tlacopan starts begging for peace, offering money and cores. Sorry guys, I really don't want you to renounce any claims.

Tlacopan falls in August, and I have the war score for their treasury now, even if I grab Tamaholipa. However, I have other ideas.

After the fall of Wixaritari, I'm able to force the peace that I want in September.

34_12.jpg

Granted, I lose the Colonial Conquest CB and the ability to seize provinces without peace negotiations, but it doesn't matter. I still have the (somewhat inferior, granted) Horde CB on them and I can easily force them to negotiations. Auto-converting Tlacopan's capital to Inti is certainly worth that, and it's pretty cool to force the Sun God on the tribe anyway.

Tlacopan is also landlocked. Now they can't be attacked by Europeans and lose land to them - unless someone colonizes the north, that is.

34_13.jpg

Hmm, seems that Tamaholipa is distant overseas as well. So it is as I feared: only Cempaloa is close enough.

In October we get what we came for:

34_14.jpg

Yaxhilan is the next province to get a missionary in December.

Our national focus finally becomes available in March 1560 and it's placed in Tulum.

34_15.jpg

That catches most of the richest lands that aren't distant overseas, though sadly not Tikal.

General Pomacapi dies in April. How surprising that the super general lives less than two years, especially seeing that I have something like six other (worse) generals that all started earlier. Oh well, at least he was actually available for a war.

Seems that Hatun Canar is a couple of years late - they start producing cacao in January 1561... oh dear.

34_16.jpg

Okay Tlacopan, the truce is up on September 1st, 1564. Expect some visitors then, put the kettle on.