• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why evacuate danzig? it has a river against every province facing it, your no better off in your new position.

You get river penalties attacking from Danzig to any direction, but only provinces east of Vistula River get river penalties attacking Danzig. There is similar thing with Washington.

I left Danzig because I was not sure I could afford one more province and build more forts. Now I believe it was my mistake but it is too late. Divisions in Danzig have no time to dig up too. After taking east bank of Vistula I would leave a couple of divisions to dig up and then evacuate Danzig.

Last edited:
The defensive operation went as planned. Danzig was successfully evacuated and three divisions dug up on the east bank of Vistula. Only Kutno (fort level 6) and especially Opoczno (fort level 5) are constantly harassed. I think Kutno is safe, because there is only 1 attacking direction. Opoczno is attacked from three sides and is more vulnerable. However, reinforcements were sent from East Prussia and soon the weak point of the Defence will be closed.

East Prussia operation met higher resistance than was expected because Germans after Polish-Lithuanian war shipped 4 more divisions which were deployed in Konigsberg. Fortunately, instead of digging up in heavily fortified Konigsberg those divisions left it and moved south to delay Polish advance. They were subsequently cut off from Konigsberg and eventually destroyed.

HoI311039.jpg

By the end of October 1939, all military operations ceased in the East.

West theatre was quiet. French did nothing to ease Polish struggle. Denmark was not so fortunate. Almost all territory was occupied by Germans except Copenhagen. Following fall of Danzig Polish submarines were rebased to Copenhagen where they disturbed German attempt to assemble more troops for the assault of Copenhagen. Destroyers were rebased to Dover.

HoI3Denmark.jpg

Germany just stopped? They settled for Danzig?

Germans tried but could not pass the fortifications. If it was human player it could go through Hungary which is Axis member and attack my defenceless positions or could do amphibious landing behind my back.

If you are playing 1.3, then it's not surprising that the Germans have stopped at your fortifications. If I read the patchnotes correctly, even in 1.4 the AI has considerable problems when it encounters fortifications at all. Wouldn't be surprising to see the Germans just watch your lines unitil they start their western advance.

The AI is indeed afraid of forts at times.

I'd think of something about that Hungarian border in the near future. Sooner or later there will be a call to arms.

In none of my games so far did the AI call in Hungary. But yes, that would really be terrible news for the Poles here.

In previous attempt I had level 3 fortifications which didn’t stop Germans. I think there should around -70% (e.g. -20% hills and -50% fortifications or -40% river and -30% fortifications etc.) for AI to be very cautious.

nice, although i thought you would anex lithuanians... konstytucja 3 maja mówiłą że są częścią polski...

I know ;) I did it for role-playing reasons. During Polish-Lithuanian crisis in March 1938 Soviets warned Warsaw that in case of Lithuanian independence jeopardy they would to abrogate the Soviet–Polish Non-Aggression Pact of 1932, which could lead to a war.

I also agree with Lordban that Chamberlain and Daladier wouldn’t be so happy regarding Polish invasion, never mind the annexation of Lithuania ;)

I didn’t want to meddle with R-B pact too. Just in case the event checks existence of Lithuania. I wanted Soviets to annex Baltic States, but it seems this won’t happen now anyway as Soviets gained only claims on all Baltic States.

because Pilsudski should have sent his lieutenant to Lithuania, not to take Wilno, but start a rebelion that would call for Polands help and making by so, entire Lithuania a part of Poland by 1924.

1 November 1939 (Overview)

During 1 September 1939 – 1 November 1939 campaign Poland lost 4 important cities (market red) and gained one (marked green). Loss of Namyslow was extremely painful as Poland became net importer of coal and metal. The country also lost 11 factories and approximately 20% of man power and leadership. Loss of factories would be quickly compensated by newly built ones because of high experience in engineering and building. However, loss of man power and leadership could be crippling.

HoI3Cities11139.jpg

Approximately 100 German divisions (or 300 brigades, or 900.000 soldiers) are assembled in Polish Theatre. Polish have 129 brigades or 2.3 times less than Germans. Polish cannot beat Germans in numbers or manoeuvre speed because do not have any mobile units except slow cavalry. The only viable way to excel is to beat in firepower, surprise and local outnumbering. Polish need artillery (firepower) and paratroopers (surprise). Strong fortifications would allow Polish concentrate troops in one or several areas (local outnumbering) while leaving only small garrisons in the forts.

HoI3ArmyComparison1939.jpg

HoI3AirComparison1939.jpg

1 November 1939 - 1 June 1940

Polish started development of airborne divisions, Special Forces, transport planes, light tanks (in order to build armoured vehicles and tank destroyers), radios and AA guns (Polish do not hope to win air war, but have a good industry), and building regular divisions. Experience at building them will subsequently help in building Polish Special Forces (airborne divisions).

The war is at the moment is very quiet. Between 1 November 1939 and 1 June 1940 there was no fighting in Europe. Only Australia joined Axis in February 1940, possible because of Japan’s threat.

HoI3Australia.jpg

1 June 1940 - 1 September 1940

Germans successfully blockaded Konigsberg and Memel and no ships could deliver coal and other goods from overseas. Because of the blockade Polish economy could halt within a year.

(It appears that only Danzig qualifies as an overseas port for Poland! I cannot trade through Memel and Kongsberg, I think, because they are not annexed.)

HoI3Port.jpg

Poland requested permission from Latvia and Estonia to trade through Riga and Tallinn ports. Latvian and Estonian governments categorically refused to break their neutrality. However, it was suspected that Germany influenced the Baltic States and it was decided to take military action in order to secure ports in the North. On 1 August 1939, Allies declared war on Latvia and subsequently on Estonia. Within one month Latvia and Estonia fell. Unfortunately, their governments escaped to Berlin and harbours were destroyed not without German help.

HoI3BalticStates.jpg

Situation Overview

Latvians and Estonians chose to fight, that means no safe harbour for Polish. However, there is one more option – Rumania, but without airborne divisions it would be hard to conquer it. Rumania could also give bust in resources, manpower and leadership.

Regardless of all the benefits, Rumania could be very risky because it has borders with Hungary (Axis), Yugoslavia (Axis) and Bulgaria (neutral, but heavily influenced by Axis). There would be no way to defend it if conflict spreads.

Scandinavia could be also good supply of resources, manpower and leadership but would not provide overseas port as there would be no land connection.