• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whoopsie! At least Harry will have ample opportunity to try his 'special matches' again - or not: I guess the French are coming to you, rather than you having a go at France proper. And burning down their colonial holdings in Korea or India just isn't the same.

Nice job of Harry reverting to form. :) It was inevitable, but he still surprises with the sheer amount of auto-destruct moves he has in his arsenal. :)

Oh dear.

In truth I think if Harry had attempted to improve relations with France this decleration of war would likely have simply come about earlier! Hopefully Ming's cannon can do the trick. Hopefully too Shaowu continues to provide the bangs. If worst comes to worst I suppose the QM can be sent forth and carry out some of her dance moves, that will likely rather dissuade the French from invading.

You certainly did a number on Vijayanagar this time.

So, the QM is in charge of the University? Sounds like a hilarious concept, hopefully we'll hear more about that at some point. :)

Does anyone get the feeling France may have bitten off more than it can chew here? I have the feeling that no-one in Paris has any concept of the size of the war they've just started. Either that, or the French AI is trying for a WC.

Sorry about the gap in posts, this one has been written for 4 days but I've not had the chance to post it ... in part as I've been too busy saving Prag from the evil Prussians ... and showing relatives from the Netherlands around W Scotland.

Slightly late comment but was that Harry and Astarte doing a Kiss tribute??? It sounded a bit like it.

Not deliberately, but I can see what you mean ... I may well introduce a kareoke routine between them at some stage though

The mighty Vijayanagar Empire lasted less than a peach schnapps on a summer day... Hopefully the French will be also defeated by the new Ming cannons.

Aye that is them finished, with Shaowu in power, I'm stuck with the Temple for quite a while, and with a near permanent CB (as long as I don't take a province that I don't really want), I can pull bits off at my leisure

The French though rather cheat. They don't have enough transports to bring a decent sized army to where I can deal with them, so the war is long lasting and fought in a number of odd places, or involves a lot of naval actions

Whoopsie! At least Harry will have ample opportunity to try his 'special matches' again - or not: I guess the French are coming to you, rather than you having a go at France proper. And burning down their colonial holdings in Korea or India just isn't the same.

Nice job of Harry reverting to form. :) It was inevitable, but he still surprises with the sheer amount of auto-destruct moves he has in his arsenal. :)

I think morningSIDEr may be right here, Harry sleeping may do less diplomatic damage than Harry awake and trying to do nice. I can't get at France as my naval tech is dire and my force limit relatively limited (something I have to put right with some future NI choices), so there is no way can I reach their European provinces, its a struggle to attack them in Africa

Oh dear.

In truth I think if Harry had attempted to improve relations with France this decleration of war would likely have simply come about earlier! Hopefully Ming's cannon can do the trick. Hopefully too Shaowu continues to provide the bangs. If worst comes to worst I suppose the QM can be sent forth and carry out some of her dance moves, that will likely rather dissuade the French from invading.

The QM is busy washing her hands of the whole thing, which maybe why it goes fairly well. I actually forgot to send gifts to the French while whacking about Vijaynagar (hence the sleeping motif), but they prove to be the most aggressive of the Europeans across the game, at one time or another I have wars with most of them, but the French repeat the experiment quite a lot

You certainly did a number on Vijayanagar this time.

So, the QM is in charge of the University? Sounds like a hilarious concept, hopefully we'll hear more about that at some point. :)

you request is to be fulfilled.

There's an old, and not that funny joke about the University of Hell, based primarily on how hard it is to get Medics and Medical Schools to do things like obey University regulations (its best told by a Registrar from one such institution after a lot of wine), in effect the Vice-Chancellor/Principal of your choice dies, and, quite appropriately wakes up in Hell. Satan trots out to meet him and agree his role for eternity, and tells him that Hell has just opened a new University and of course he is the ideal choice to lead this prestigious institution. The VC looks pretty pleased, but his one remaining common sense brain cell kicks in and reminds him that hell is meant to be about universal torment. So he asks Satan what is the catch? To which the response: "The University of Hell will have 2 Medical Schools" ... not that funny out of context but it amuses me.

Does anyone get the feeling France may have bitten off more than it can chew here? I have the feeling that no-one in Paris has any concept of the size of the war they've just started. Either that, or the French AI is trying for a WC.

As above, the French are by far the most aggressive of the Europeans with briefly quite a large holding in India etc, then they seem to fall into some sort of cycle of civil war and revolt, but this war really drags out as I can't build any real war score nor dent their war capacity.

In any case, a reminder to vote in the Q1 ACAs here and in the inaugaral AArthenas thread here, the last Crusader Kings 1 Crusadaar's chalice here and those HOI3 AARs you missed earlier here (which is in the prelminary voting round). So lots to read ... go forth and enjoy.

Last edited:
1592-1597, the Queen Mother takes an academic turn

16 August 1592

I have decided to spend some time in the gentle and relaxing grounds of my University, this war is Harry's fault, let him sort it out

[H – oi, I've kinda got my hands full out here you know]
[A – it couldn't happen to a more deserving being ... enjoy, I mean I know I will]

3 September 1592

Oh, look my archaeology department is so clever

[H – you mean your creative arts section surely, look stop faffing around and help out]

1 October 1592

My University really is very impressive, even that brute Harry has to admit the advantages of refined and genteel learning

[H – yeah, very useful, but look can you go and smooch the Brits, flash a bit of leg, you know the sort of thing]

4 October 1592

Sigh, to keep him quiet I send out the killer peacocks ... do I get any thanks

No, well that is the last time I help out

[A, yep this I am enjoying]

5 October 1592

[H – its always so easy to tempt a Pope]
[A – oi, thats cheating]

24 December 1592

See how famously well educated China is now, all it takes is attention to detail

15 February 1593

Having reformed the army, I have explained to Shaowu that we need to reform the state too

[H – oh great, well done]

19 November 1593

Well that was easy

[H – well done, that means we can get started on the next target]

We .........?

[H, yeah, I'm sure that we will]

1 February 1594

Ah, back to the pleasant surroundings of the University, I need some calm after all that excitement

[H – right this time, it really is personal]
[A – you have become sooo vindictive you know]

11 October 1594

Oh I forgot to feed the peakraken

[H – well your mistakes are more use than your actions]

23 April 1595

Oh, now I'm the Empress of India too

[H – if you say so]
[A – this is sooo not fair]

19 February 1596

Shaowu has been attending ettiquette classes at the University

[H, aye, right and it shows]

31 March 1596

This silly war of Harry's seems so remote, I have started classes in peacock husbandry to fill up my spare time

[H – look stop preening your peacocks and do something useful ... be nice to the British]

2 June 1596

don't panic, nobody panic, there is no need to panic

[H – you can decide not to panic, I'm going to ... and just how 'nice' were you to them on your last visit?]
[A – ah well, maybe things are looking up after all]

22 August 1596

don't panic, I'm not worried, everyone stay calm and carry on ... don't panic

[H – the only reason not to panic is if you've been overindulging on the peacock food again]
[A – ah, revenge, always so nice to see]

27 August 1596

Am I not the genius, the new peakrakens are so scary

[H – ok, yes, that was well done]

21 November 1596

Yes, I am such a genius

[H – just what did you do? From what I've heard it was ... ahem ... innovative]

1 January 1597

Oh my genius knows no limits

[H – you know what, if you're such a genius, YOU deal with the French]

16 August 1592

3 September 1592

Oh, look my archaeology department is so clever

[H – you mean your creative arts section surely, look stop faffing around and help out]

Quality. What does it matter if they're genuine? As long as people like them. If it has 'pure 9th Century by the way' written on them in barely-settled crayon, that's good enough for me.

Poor old Harry. I think he should demand a pay rise, if only to see what the QM's reaction would be.

Wow, looking at the warscreen, Vijayanagar really is in horrible shape. That was a worryingly full French transport fleet though...

LOL'd at the etiquette class part! :D

Excellent stuff, wonderfully amusing as ever.

[H – yeah, very useful, but look can you go and smooch the Brits, flash a bit of leg, you know the sort of thing]

A very good strategy to keep Britain at bay. If the QM flashed any leg near me I'd certainly run for the hills!

Although it has to be said that not only is her university proving hugely useful, her peakrakens have foiled the French navy at every turn and she seems to be advising Shaowu well, embarassing episodes as court aside. Whilst in comparison the usually assured Astarte is most certainly struggling. Kudos to the QM, I certainly didn't think I'd ever read of her saving the nation rather than imperilling it!

More general competency from the Queen Mother? I'm afraid now, very afraid - this just goes against the natural order of things and I don't know how to react to that.

So far, the tussle with France seems to be going okay. You're holding off their inadequate fleets and no troops have made it to your territories yet. Keep it up and they're bound to tire of this war sooner or later, right? Just a matter of getting some war score, sink some of their ships for war exhaustion... Surely they'll accept a White Peace sooner or later?

Quality. What does it matter if they're genuine? As long as people like them. If it has 'pure 9th Century by the way' written on them in barely-settled crayon, that's good enough for me.

Poor old Harry. I think he should demand a pay rise, if only to see what the QM's reaction would be.

exactly, I mean old stuff is so over-rated, you never know who's been drinking from it before you

Maybe the QM should go to France on a university exchange... She'd be a riot in Paris!
Fixed it for you.

You could of course both be correct, as it is she adopts more subtle methods to persuade the French to give up

Wow, looking at the warscreen, Vijayanagar really is in horrible shape. That was a worryingly full French transport fleet though...

LOL'd at the etiquette class part! :D

Vijayanagar is dead in the water now, I want one more province beside Nepal and then I'll take anything else valuable, but I'd now rather that Bengal (who are my allies, pull them apart as a strongish power in India helps to contain GB & France). Given Shaowu's dire diplomacy stats (which isn't helping for burning down infamy), it seemed rather appropriate

Excellent stuff, wonderfully amusing as ever.

A very good strategy to keep Britain at bay. If the QM flashed any leg near me I'd certainly run for the hills!

Although it has to be said that not only is her university proving hugely useful, her peakrakens have foiled the French navy at every turn and she seems to be advising Shaowu well, embarassing episodes as court aside. Whilst in comparison the usually assured Astarte is most certainly struggling. Kudos to the QM, I certainly didn't think I'd ever read of her saving the nation rather than imperilling it!

She does well in the next update ... well until her end of century New Years Eve party turns out to be less fun than she was promised

More general competency from the Queen Mother? I'm afraid now, very afraid - this just goes against the natural order of things and I don't know how to react to that.

So far, the tussle with France seems to be going okay. You're holding off their inadequate fleets and no troops have made it to your territories yet. Keep it up and they're bound to tire of this war sooner or later, right? Just a matter of getting some war score, sink some of their ships for war exhaustion... Surely they'll accept a White Peace sooner or later?

thats more or less my strategy, I can't touch Ceylon as that has a massive army on it, I have as much of their other colonies as I can, so I'm just hoping their w/e will reach the level where they accept a white peace

I'm at page 6 and I must say that the AAR is great! It also looks like China is a bit better balanced in DW than in other EUIII versions because of the faction mechanics.

Thank you

I think Ming is now pretty well balanced as you can't do the exploit that Knul did (switch to Noble Republic and then you can manipulate the factions to your immediate needs). I only played around with Ming in EU2 but it seemed as if they made it too weak so as to compensate for its potential strength (if that makes sense). The factions are a great balancer, so for example I often fall behind with buildings simply as I have the wrong faction in power, which combined with so many provinces stops me exploiting all my economic strength. I can't often send colonists so that stops you eating the hordes and cleaning up in the W Pacific region. So generally you have something that is very strong but also rather inelegant. In truth its like playing a game where you spend about 50% of the time in a Regency Council (as its rare that I can actually start a war - so ideally I need to make the most of every chance to expand), so those lulls that seem part and parcel of EU3 are a lot longer, but its a fun country to play.

1597-1600, The Queen Mother is very welcoming, till she is invited to the wrong party

30 January 1597

Right, lets get this over with, that bunch of useless men have been faffing around too long

[H – oi, I've been asking you to help]

23 May 1597

You see its easy when you do everything right, and are suitably charming to our foreign visitors

[H - hummpph]

1 August 1597

yeah, bang, whoosh,

I had such fun with Shaowu shooting at the peacocks ... though they seemed to be a bit annoyed for some reason

[H – aye, hard to understand really]

14 September 1597

I know I am now a world famous international stateswoman and can expect all sorts of important visitors, but they really should clean up after themselves. Damn foreigners.

[A - and you are so modest as well]

22 February 1598

Sigh, despite my fame, people can be so difficult. I mean yes I was crossbreeding peaches with Swedes, its not as if its anybody else's business is it?

30 December 1599

Oh, I am so looking forward to the end of century new year party, I have been assured by Harry and Shaowu that this will be nothing like the 1499 snooze fest.

[H – surprise ...]

thats it, this is just not funny, I was promised a fun traditional new years eve party

[H – oh get you ...]

Sweden reaching for China by land by the beginning of the 17th century? Good grief.

One threat is dealt with (the French), another is lurking just beyond the horizon. Sweden reaching you the long (non-naval) way - that's a bit disconcerting. Should fan the flames of the usual 'Paradox overpowers Sweden' argument for a while. :)

Considering the Swedes' evident martial prowess (fighting their way across Russia - something a rather great lot of people have failed to achieve over the centuries), their presumed lead in military land tech and finally the plain fact that they're your friendly land-based neighbors... considering all that, perhaps Queen Mother's peacock/Swede crossbreeding program is somewhat poorly timed.

Sweden wouldn't normally be a problem due to their poor manpower (compared to Ming anyway), but I'd check how many population-rich Russian provinces they've conquered on the way – you might need some serious peacock artillery to fight them.