• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's back! Hurray! Looks like you were in a lot of trouble there with France; glad you were able to salvage things.

Loving the unique style of this AAR :p Keep it coming!

(Germany FTW)

A fascinating update as usual. It seems that Japan has rebounded hard, while the German team faced an uphill battle after their start. Still, all things considered, Germany got off easily and picked up a key province for their future plans. I'm still cheering for Germany to go all the way.

I'm voting for Japan. Just give them Deus Vult or whatever idea lets them attack heretics, and they're set.

It's back! Hurray! Looks like you were in a lot of trouble there with France; glad you were able to salvage things.

Yep, this is a nightmare. As long as I am Emperor, there is a big chance of Bavaria getting involved in big wars. France, Castille and England are all very scary right now. I hope that the next turn I still have an army.

The union with Brandenburg was indeed a well-needed light in the darkness. Still, a lot can go wrong!

Loving the unique style of this AAR :p Keep it coming!

(Germany FTW)
Thanks, MastahCheef117. Welcome to the thread!

A fascinating update as usual. It seems that Japan has rebounded hard, while the German team faced an uphill battle after their start. Still, all things considered, Germany got off easily and picked up a key province for their future plans. I'm still cheering for Germany to go all the way.
Thank your for your kind words. To be fair, Japan performed not that superb. While it gains were quite nice, remember that it was a war with two vassals against a weaker enemy. Taira is in practice lord and master of Japan: all that remains is to make it de jure. Bavaria, on the other hand, is not yet undisputed leader of Germany. This turn showed that its rivals are quite strong. The only luck I have is a weak Austria.

I was very lucky with this mild peace. Some of the other offers from France were much harsher.

Really glad to see this isn't dead :)
Good to hear that people are still interested in this AAR, even after its hibernation :)

Wow...the French come to town and more Japanese unification.
Good to see this updated, and will tune in again for more action

There will certainly be more action. Taira will become Shogun soon and can start thinking outside the box (the box being the Japanese islands). Bavaria still has things to do before it can become Germany and once it is, a lot of work lies ahead of the Germans. And then...?

I'm voting for Japan. Just give them Deus Vult or whatever idea lets them attack heretics, and they're set.
Remember that Purge of Heretics, the CB given by Unam Sanctum (formerly known as Deus Vult) only gives reduces infamy for provinces within your own culture group. So it's good for getting Korea and Ming but now for say SE Asia.

Glad to see an update :) I agree, it's gonna be tough giving Bavaria over to the AI every other decade with the majors already consolidating in Europe. France is big and ugly and it's not even 1500. Is it possible to try to buddy up to them during your Bavarian term to reduce the chance they'll fight you while you're off playing Japan?

Readed this in my spare time on school very nice.
Thank you.

Glad to see an update :) I agree, it's gonna be tough giving Bavaria over to the AI every other decade with the majors already consolidating in Europe. France is big and ugly and it's not even 1500. Is it possible to try to buddy up to them during your Bavarian term to reduce the chance they'll fight you while you're off playing Japan?
France is certainly big already, but also look at England (overrun Ireland and Scotland) and Castille (practically owns all of Iberia).

It's difficult to buddy up with France, as increasing relations is way too expensive for me. I just hope that the Bavarian AI can manage good alliances, as the AI is in my experience unwilling to get into alliances with the player.

I hope the German team is going to retaliate on the froggies, when strong enough:angry:
Sadly, not in the short term. I want to unite Germany as quickly as possible. Still, if a good opportunity presents itself, why not? :angry:

Some announcements

Before I post a new chapter, I would like to announce two chances in the AAR.

First, I will now post the Japanese and German turn in seperate posts. I do not want to worry too much about the 20 picture per post limit and by dividing the AAR postings in two, it will be easier for me to keep within that limit. I will try to post both halves of a turn on the same day, but as the rules require, I will post the second half at least an hour later.

Second, I added a new event, applicable to Bavaria or Germany. It will increase Decentralisation whenever it falls below 5, with a MttH of a month. This will ensure that Bavaria/Germany will be fully Decentralised at all times without wasting all my slider moves.

With that said, enjoy the next chapter!

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 5, first half: seii taishōgun

Jim: Welcome, dear viewers, to round five of Double Domination: Germany versus Japan. And with me is fellow commentator Bob.

Bob: Hi Jim.

Jim: So how's the Japanese team doing?

Bob: Well, things have happened during their absence. For one, the old Daimyo has died in 1476, after a reign of 55 years. As one of the last acts of his reign, he made Taira Defender of the Shinto Faith.

Jim: Interesting.

Bob: His son Koretada I was too young to reign, so during 1476-1479 Taira was ruled by a regency.

Jim: Oooh, that's good luck for the Japanese team, as they cannot declare war during one.

Bob: Indeed, Jim. While they are generally able to nudge the monarch into a war, the team has too little manpower to manipulate all of the high nobility to fully control foreign policy during a regency. Nonetheless, the team has now its hands free after its return in 1480.

Jim: I assume they will make full use of their ability to declare war shortly after their return to the alternative timeline? After all, it's what they do best.

Bob: You're absolutely correct. In February 1480 the Japanese team convinces Koretada to declare a reconquest of Tachibanan Hizen. Against the 48 regiments of Taira's alliance, Tachibana can only put up 7 regiments, making the war more a formality than a struggle.

Jim: I can see that. In fact, in April the meagre Tachibana army has been wiped out. To aid insult to injury, a month later Taira's spies manage to forge another claim on Tachibana territory, Shikoku this time.

1480-05warwithtachibana.png

Bob: With another claim secured, Koretada manages a favourable peace in October: Hizen and Shikoku are gained. The year is closed with the appointment of a four star Master of the Mind to help reduce the inflation gained by the wars and construction of armouries.

Jim: But it seems that the Taira Daimyo is not only interested in military matters. In 1483 he appoints a great artist, presumably to help make the country more innovative, which it sorely needs.

1483-10status.png

Bob: While Koretada is an able diplomat and warlord, he is not gifted in administration, which the Japanese team surely hates, as he will not be able to reform Taira to become more innovative, even with his patronage of the arts and his artist advisor.
Jim: I would also keep an eye on his kid, Sanetomo. According to GeneTech's BlueBlood analyser, he shows great promise.

Bob: Hold on, news is coming in...our reporters on the scene tell me that Koretada suffers from a bout of insanity!

1485-09tempinsanity.png

Jim: Seems that the Japanese contestants use this to their advantage.

Bob: Well spotted, Jim. The Japanese team member masquerading as Koretada's replacement has declared war on Tachibana without a formal Casus Belli!

Jim: This aggression will shake the stability of the country quite vehemently.

Bob: Right. The Taira generals decide to adopt a more defensive doctrine in order to deflect fears amongst the landed nobility and the merchants that Taira becomes an aggressor state. A wise move, as the vassalisation of Tachibana in 1486 will surely be seen as aggressive.

Jim: Now the Taira Daimyo is the only independent Daimyo in Japan. Still Koretada cannot claim the title of Shogun as the recent events have destabilised Japan too much, forcing the Taira government to calm public opinion.

Bob: But that is only for a short time. In 1488 Koretada asks the Emperor for the title of Kampaku.

1488-09kampaku.png

Jim: In theory, all the Daimyos are supposed to vote on this issue. But as it is clear where true power lies, the Emperor grants him the title right away.

Bob: Surprisingly, during the festivities, the Minamoto Daimyo is forced to give up his title and his territory is annexed by Taira!

Jim: Smart move, probably orchestrated by our contestants. The destabilising effect of this move will be minimized as Koretada becomes the Emperor's Shogun in September 1488. It's all in the timing.

1488-10shogun.png

Bob: A great moment for our Japanese contestants. Their happiness is blunted somewhat, though, as Koretada beginning his reign by bragging how great he is, thoroughly embarrassing the court and destabilize the country.

Jim: Still, nice turn for the Japanese team. With the shogunate secured they are now able for the first time to act beyond the Japanese borders. I look forward what they will do with this power when we return to them in 1500.

1490-01Japan.png

But first, a commercial break! Stay tuned, dear viewers!

Last edited:
1399-01welcome.png

Turn 5, second half: recovery

Jim: Welcome back, everyone. We now take a look at the Bavarian situation, 1490.

1490-01mapofeurope.png

Bob: At least it's not run over by France.

Jim: <sighs> Indeed. Perhaps a good reason for this is that Bavaria has secured alliances with both Poland and Austria, the last one which has regained a lot of its German provinces.

Bob: Still, France is doing well. As you can see, it's waging a successful war against Castille. What you can't see is that France leads a union with Norway. Luckily for our contestants, relations between the French king and the Norwegian high nobility are frosty at best, -120 on the scale of Rousseau.

Jim: As long as that situation remains, we don't have to fear a French presence in Scandinavia. Still, a worrying prospect.

Bob: I spot a more urgent worry for the German team. Anhalt is a vassal of Poland.

Jim: One of the provinces needed for German unification, I presume?

Bob: Correct, Jim. What's more, Mecklenburg, another key province, is ruled by a cousin of the Polish king.

Jim: Look like a conflict between Poland and Bavaria is inevitable, alliance notwithstanding.
Nevertheless, the first official action of our contestants back in the alternative timeline is to support the Florentine school.

Img

Bob: Nice move.

Jim: Also, in the first month of their return, the diplomats of the German team manage to convince the international community that the Bavarian king has a claim on the throne of Mecklenburg.

1490-01Mecklenburg.png

Bob: Seems that Mecklenburg lacks any threatening allies.

Jim: Still, the regency of Polish king Jan is so mad about this that they break the alliance with Bavaria.

Bob: They too see the inevitable coming.

Jim: Bavaria declares war on Mecklenburg in February. On Bavaria side its vassals and Austria join, while Mecklenburg is backed by Pommerania and Brunswick.

Bob: No Sweden?

Jim: No Sweden. The next month Brunswick is forced to cede Brunswick to Bavaria.

1490-04brunswicksurrenders.png

Bob: Lucky for Brunswick, it still has Hanover, otherwise there would nothing be left.

Jim: In June, the war is over. Mecklenburg is forced in a union under Albrecht III.

Bob: A nice little war for the German team. Basically two provinces required for German unification has been acquired.

Jim: What's more, one of the European greatest economies is now under Bavarian control!

Bob: What, did Bavaria conquer France while I wasn't watching?

Jim: No, I mean Mecklenburg!

1490-08wealthofnations.png

Bob: Holy buckets! Mecklenburg is thrice as wealthy as Bavaria!

Jim: Well, Mecklenburg is completely dedicated to trade, making it an economic superpower. Although, not much of an military one, as we have seen.

Bob: Hate to break the news, but not all is well.

1491-06francedefiesthehremperor.png

Jim: Well, with France trampling all over the western part of the Empire, I am not surprised about this. It will hurt the Emperor's influence, though.

Bob: What hurts it even more is that Bavaria bestows Imperial Grace on Mecklenburg in order to improve relations. Still, this will ready the Mecklenburgian nobility for an eventual inheritance.

Jim: Hold on, look like Bavaria is making another move...hey, Albrecht III has declared war on the bishopry of Magdeburg!

Bob: I didn't know Bavaria had a Casus Belli on Magdeburg.

Jim: It doesn't! Wow, this is a brutal example of power politics, just like when Brandenburg's throne was seized.

Bob: But you can't deny it's a smart move. As Magdeburg is a bishopry, it won't be possible for Albrecht to claim its throne, as there is none.

Jim: But there is a difference between expedience and downright brutality! Look now, they have outright annexed Magdeburg!

Bob: That will upset the Hanseatic Alliance, which tried to protect Magdeburg. It also means another illegal Imperial province in the Empire, further upsetting the international community.

Jim: The German team has to worry about that later. Right now they are in the middle of a war!
Bob: Don't worry, the Hanseatic Alliance is much weaker than the Bavarian. With Switzerland and several smaller north German princes, it has little change against Bavaria, Austria, Hesse, Brandeburg and the other vassals. In April 1493 the Hansa conceded defeat to Bavaria.

Jim: Hopefully this means peace in the Empire for a while.

Bob: Don't get your hopes up, Jim. Seems that the German team really wants to get all the important north German provinces under its control.

Jim: Huh?

Bob: The last crucial province that is not under direct or indirect control of Bavaria is Anhalt. But the duke of Anhalt is a vassal of Poland.

Jim: I know, so...?

Bob: Well, Bavaria has just started a war of aggression against Poland. I do not think it's a coincidence.

Jim: Oh! Well, I have to agree with you here, Bob. The German's team singular focus of obtaining the necessary cities and provinces for unification is very clear.

Bob: Good timing, too, as Poland is busy fighting with the Golden Horde. Besides, as Poland lacks a professional drilled army like Bavaria, the war will probably go in favour of Bavaria.

Jim: But wait, there is new from the south:

1495-07Milanesecalltoarms.png

Bob: Looks like Bavaria is not the only one to exploit a war. France and Venice use the Bavarian-Poland war as an opportunity to get Milan!

Jim: Sadly, the Emperor Albrecht III turn down the call to arms. France is just too strong for now: an army three times as large as Bavaria's and equally expertly drilled. Hopefully, the Poland war will turn out right.

Bob: Don't worry, Jim. Poland's army are busy in the east, so that Bavaria's armies can assault the cities of western Poland without a battle. After five months Poland agrees to cede Anhalt to Bavaria.

1495-10conquestsinpoland.png

Jim: Well, this is good and bad. Good, as Bavaria's grip on the most important German cities is now complete. Bad, because Bavaria has now four illegal provinces, seriously upsetting the international community, as this Infamy report from our political experts shows:

1495-10infamy.png

Bob: The bad reputation of Bavaria influences Imperial politics as well. Now only a small majority support Albrecht and that is only by virtue of vassalage.

1496-05HREchamber.png

Jim: Until people accept this status quo, Bavaria will not be able to risk much in international diplomacy. Perhaps now peace is a possibility?

Bob: Not at the moment. Austria, Venice and France tear apart Milan, forcing it to cede Verone and Brescia to Venice. Also, the Referee apparently disagrees with you, as he gives the German team a new mission: subjugate Augsburg.

Jim: With Bavaria's bad reputation, why would they agree to execute this mission?

Bob: Well, the Referee promised to clean up their reputation on completion.

Jim: Looks like that's enough of an incentive. In 1498 Bavaria declares war on Augsburg, inviting only Hesse to this party. On Augsburg's side Switzerland, Baden, the Teutonic Order and Burgundy join.

Bob: Easy. In two months Augsburg is vassalized and the Referee improves Bavaria's reputation, which is now classsed as 19 by our experts.

Jim: And a month later Baden is forced to pay 100 ducats for peace.

Bob: This is just coming in: Sweden joins the enemy side and becomes its leader!

Jim: Yet Switzerland is knocked out of the war.

Bob: This worries the Hansa enough to join the enemy alliance.

Jim: Which apparently makes the Teutonic Order lose interest, as they sign a white peace.

Bob: The enemy alliance is a dynamic one, isn't it?

Jim: Certainly, Bob. Still, as the deadline for the German turn is fast approaching, the team decides in January 1499 to call to arms Brandenburg and Austria, who both comply. This scares the enemy alliance so much that the Hansa and Burgundy agree to a white peace.

Bob: The political manipulators in the German team use the confusion to convince important merchants to adopt a more foreign-oriented strategy, thereby making Bavaria a more Free Trade-focussed country.

Jim: Finally, the Swedes, now alone in their struggle against Bavaria, gives up and offers a white peace in November 1499, just before the German team has to return.

Well dear viewers, I have to admit to be glad that the German team has recovered so nicely from that disastrous previous turn.

1500-01mapofEurope.png

With three new provinces, a new union and a new vassal, a lot of progress has been made in this decade. Likewise, the Japanese team securing the shogunate was also an impressive step forwards. Hopefully the next turn will be as exciting as this one! Goodnight and goodbye!

Last edited:
It's good to see that this AAR is up and running again. The Japanese teams seems to be well on the way to forming, well, Japan. France definitely looks like a big pain for the German team, but hopefully they will be drawn into a huge war with England, since they still have provinces in continental Europe. Can't wait until the two teams finally meet.

Making vassals seems like a good strategy, the AI does such a good job of absorbing them after all :)
Ehm, I don't get what you are saying, so far no vassal has been annexed by the AI.

Unfortunate that the French are still on the prowl. Nice moves all around Shogun.
As you can see, France has way larger armies and a much bigger economy. At the moment there is little I can do against France.

Another excellent update, i always giggle when i read this AAR :) It's excellent fun, looking forward to the next installment!.
Nice to hear, Tallfelow. I try my best to make the AAR as funny as possible.

It's good to see that this AAR is up and running again. The Japanese teams seems to be well on the way to forming, well, Japan. France definitely looks like a big pain for the German team, but hopefully they will be drawn into a huge war with England, since they still have provinces in continental Europe. Can't wait until the two teams finally meet.
Forming Japan is now just a matter of time. With Germany, it's theoretically possible that something goes wrong, with all those predators around.

I don't expect France and England getting into exhausting wars. France seldom invade England and England in this game has no chance of making life difficult for the French. At best France will overrun the continental provinces of Enland with a battle or two.

France is a monster for the German team, but with Japan now able to take action outside of the island they might find a worthy foe on the continent. I'm still rooting for Germany though!