Inspired by another thread - what would you witness?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They at the time were part of the Roman Empire (if only added recently), and most people there spoke Greek in addition to Hebrew and Aramaic--the region had been subject to Alexander and his Successor states for centuries previously, and there was IIRC a sizeable group of philhellenes amongst the Hebrews, as well as a sizeable number of Greek people who were really into Judaism living in the region. Plus, it is pretty close to Greece by sea (only a week or two by ship).

The impression I had was that Greek was most limited to the upper and more educated classes as the lingua franca of the eastern parts of Rome. Im not sure if Christ spoke in Greek at all -?

The impression I had was that Greek was most limited to the upper and more educated classes as the lingua franca of the eastern parts of Rome. Im not sure if Christ spoke in Greek at all -?
Christ spoke hebrew but greek in roman empire i think was like a second official language for the nobility

Christ spoke hebrew but greek in roman empire i think was like a second official language for the nobility
Jesus spoke Aramaic, as did most of his disciples except the educated ones.

Greek was the language of trans-regional commerce, or prestige, and of status. Latin was (in the east) the language of the army and the tax forms. Peasants would be speaking any sort of regional language... Aramaic, Coptic, Anatolian dialects, Assyriac, you name it. Greek only if they had education, regular business in the cities, or traveled a lot.

I'd go to the Roman Empire/Byzantium as a Chinese and tell them there's a place far from Europe called China :)

IIRC they were vaguely aware of that fact.

Not sure they knew of China, but they definitely knew about India. There was an active spice trade via Egypt/Red Sea. An early variety of pepper (long pepper, or Piper longum) was one of the most prized spices in Rome, worth more than its weight in gold. It came from India and Indonesia.

Yep,rome and china knew eachother.

The Romans were familiar enough with Sri-Lanka that it's pretty much the only recognizable feature in that area on Ptolemy's map.
How did ptolemy make that map i wonder.They had no satelites but yet he did roughly the shape,how could he have found about it?

The Pickett's charge. I have always thought it must have been such a terrible and a beautiful sight, both at the same time, that it stayed with the people who saw it for the rest of their lives.
It was also the turning point in the ACW. And many people mark it as an end to the Napoleonic infantry tactics which prevailed in the military world at the time.

It would have been cool to witness a major Mongol attack on a European town
I think on this scenario it would be better IMO to watch his rise on power in China

It would have been cool to witness a major Mongol attack on a European town

It would be as cool as watching nazis exterminate jews. If you want it in a war context, as cool as the nazis repressing the Warsaw ghetto uprising.

Just senseless massacre by a superior armed force.