• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The 1851 Candidates​

ManuelBulnes.JPG

Nacionales Independientes Candidate: Francisco Rivera ((atomicsoda))

Economic Policy- State capitalism. The nation should invest in new industries in partnership with the capitalists. In particular a small arms, cement and winery.

Military- Jingoism. We must maintain our military readiness and be prepared to defend ourselves if threatened. I also will expand our navy.

Religion- Moralism. We should maintain the traditional role of the church in Chilean society.

Citizenship- Limited Citizenship. While some immigration is good for our nation, immigrants should assimilate to our culture before being granted full political rights.

Trade - Protectionism. Tariffs should not be increased, but we must have the flexibility to increase them if it is in the national interest.

German_Riesco.jpg

Unión Chileno Candidate: Eduardo Emilio Romano ((Pallen))

"Hola compagneros! (Hello friends!)

Once again it is time to elect a Presidente, and I wish to thank all my supporters who have supported me through the primaries, and those who will support me in the presidential election. I understand that my coalition partners in the Partido Nacionales, has had a rough ride in the party with the breakoff of some of their members and forming their own party. I can only respect that and see how this will change the situation, and how the votes will change in this election compared to the last. I'd like to comment on my first term in the presidency;

The term had been a rough time not only for my administration and I but it had been a tough one for Chile and its citizens in the light of the war against Argentina. We have won - but we have paid for that victory no doubt. Many have given their lives so that Chile's citizens under Argentinian rule could be freed and be admitted into our democracy. This we must honour and never forget, but how can we forget such a sacrifice? They have given us victory which is why I wish to take a moment to honour the victorious dead.---

After the war we, more specificly my Minister of War Carrera, managed to resupply the army and not only resupply it but also create our first Artillery brigades. Not only one but two which has in turn improved our military securing Chile's position in South America, making the only military threat Brazil. But i asked my minister of policy in the beginning of my term to improve relations and work together with Brazil, making us close friends and once and for all securing us from foreign invasion.

During my first term I had hoped to kickstart Chile's industry and industrilize the nation. This was not possible given the circumstances of the long war, for war is an enemy of growth and economic prosperity, we tried nonetheless but it could simply not be done. During the primaries I managed nonetheless to pass the Industrilization Encouragement Act, which effectivly made it more attractive to build factories in Chile, more specificly in Santiago. While the Act does what it does best, then I have another ambition for my next term. Railroads. My ultimate ambition in the next term will be not only to kickstart industry but also to construct railroads -all- over Chile. (Experimental railroads I guess). Better infastructure will make a great difference to many of the Chileans who live on the country, and open up more opportunities for both citizens and industry.

Now to my platforms;

Interventionalism

I can not agree with either laissre faire or with State Capitalism, I believe that the state should not dictate the economy, nor do i believe it should leave the economy to itself - I believe the state should do its best to only -influence- the economy. This policy will give my administration and i new tools to effectivly improve the economy without dictating it.

Residency

I love Chile, and throughout my last term I have been framed by my adverseries who shall remain unnamed, as one who considers immigrants second class citizens. This is not true, I do not consider immigrants second class citizens. I believe that the Chileans who fought the spanish, gave their blood so that we can hold free elections, the ones who paid the ultimate price are -the- people of Chile and have earned the right to vote. Immigrants will need to earn their right to vote, perhaps not by blood, but then by work making Chile a better place.

Moralism

Our democracy preaches equality and to help and love your countryman. These values are the modernized versions of the Christian values from the Bible, which speak of equality of men in the eyes of god, and to love and honour your next. It also helps those who otherwise would have been without hope, and comfort those who have suffered loss. It is also a large cultural heritage which we brought with us all the way from Spain years ago, and it has served us well.

Pro-Military

Our military has freed our people, and we have fought the spanish off in our war for independance. We have gained freedom and this must be protected, I have improved the military in my last term and I will continue supporting our troops and to keep Chile safe.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
VOTE! I need your vote for either Francisco Rivera or Eduardo Emilio Romano. If you vote by party, I will pair your vote to the corresponding ticket.

As always, remember to bold your votes or they might not be counted.

If you're a candidate and you want to change your platform from the above, just let me know.

A sample ballot would look like:
President: Abstain

This poll will end at 6:00 PST on the 5th (two days) or if 25 votes are reached before that.

Hmm. Quite a hard choice we have here. I would support Romano's interventionism over Rivera's state capitalism, but I support Rivera's policy towards limited citizenship more.

I will have to think about this for a bit.

((TH, is it possible for a candidate to change a policy during the election? Or are they stuck with their platform?))

"I shall back Rivera and the Nacionales Independientes. They offer the most for the country, and Carrera was guilty of treason. Why should Rivera submit to him?"

Eberado de Cary
Senator for Valparaiso

How dare you sir! I was guilty of no such thing, and your candidate Rivera spread baseless lies saying that I was. I stood defiant and was assisted by General Carrow to prevent Rosa from aiding Zepeda in his staged coup.

As such, I vote for Romano and will aid him in his next term.

Alejandro Garcia votes for Pallen.

Again, I state my lukewarm support for Romano, and I suggest he moderates his view on immigration, since our newest citizens have brought new skills, talents, and wealth to our great nation.

It was a suggestion, not a demand.

Must you be so confrontational? I do not find the Liberales' policies to be entirely satisfactory either, but we need not attack them needlessly.

"The current coalition has proved MORE then capable of maintaining Chile as a predominant South American Nation. We must continue on this path to power and greatness. Therefore, I put my support behind Presidente Romano."

-General Cesar Roseno

It was neither a suggestion nor a demand that Senor Carrera made, Senor Carrow, though I pleased that you would come to my defence; it was merely the ravings of a man who seems to have little respect for immigrants, the life-blood of all nations, those seeking freedom from the lands our fore-fathers fled for much the same reason. As well, I did not ask him, I asked the man who mattered, el Presidente, to reconsider his policy.

I will have to back Rivera. It's easy, of these candidates he support immigrants more. I am myself an immigrant. Immigration is important for our country, we need the more people. I hope Rivera will be interested in expanding the voting franchise to the Middle Class if he win. If Romano win we won't see any progress, that's for sure.

It was neither a suggestion nor a demand that Senor Carrera made, Senor Carrow, though I pleased that you would come to my defence; it was merely the ravings of a man who seems to have little respect for immigrants, the life-blood of all nations, those seeking freedom from the lands our fore-fathers fled for much the same reason. As well, I did not ask him, I asked the man who mattered, el Presidente, to reconsider his policy.

I see that you forget that I myself support Full-Citizenship. It seems like such a great coincidence that you would forget such a thing. And why would I have little respect for immigrants, when I have actively voiced my support for all immigrants to be allowed into our glorious Chile, and I myself am the son of immigrants, unlike some Senators...

((And yourworstnightm, Rivera can not put in place anymore reforms if he is elected. We just passed 1 and so we have to wait for the in-game Upper House to get enough Liberal to pass another.))

Then I must ask, Senor Carrera, why you do not wish, or at least have not stated, your support for such a move on Romano's part. Since we are on the same side, Senor, perhaps it would be more prudent if we convinced the president to side with us on this issue, to further convince moderate and Liberals, like myself, to support him. I am absolutely certain that such a move to limited citizenship would convince my colleagues to back him ((though moving to laissez-faire would guarantee it *hint, hint, wink wink)).

I have not openly asked or pressured Presidente Romano to adopt a Full-Citizenship policy, because I am not the only voice within the Unión Chileno and thus do not have a full say in what policies are made. Very few of us within the Unión support Full-Citizenship, and those who do have more important things to worry about. We do still have the responsibility of running the nation after all, we cannot spend all our time quarelling over what policies the Unión will take.

"Mr. Eberado de Cary we live in a democracy. We have a court of law, and that means you are innocent until proven guilty. Senor Carrera went against the coup, and Senator Rivera's accusations have not reached court, and the only way I can interpret this is lack of substantial evidence. Furthermore Senore Rivera has remained quiet on this matter, and this i interpret as if he has realised he might have been too rash in his accusations, since he has not yet requested a trial. He has served well as my Minister of War, and has managed to resupply our army after great losses and even managed to expand it. He has my respect, and until proven guilty of anything then I consider him innocent of such charges.

And Mayor de Santa - I respect your request, but I can not meet it. I have been voted el presidente on the background of also these policies, and i have gone to elections with this. I am convinced that changing policies will do more harm than good at this point.

President: Romano

- President Romano

I stand by el jefe.

President: Romano

You can't vote for yourself in this election, Pallen. Candidates can only vote for themselves in the primaries.

((It doesn't matter one way or the other, frankly, but them's the rules.))