• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i don't get how anyone is having problems with the way Popes are handled ingame.

I guess everyone would like to have a chance to promote their sons/brothers/nephews/cousins etc. to the Papal throne instead of having some random guy being picked up by the AI and in most cases would be a man in his 30s (although there were a few Popes who were around that age group upon election the majority of them would be on their 50s upon election)

I really don't want my uncle to be Pope (which could happen if there are elections that you could directly influence) although I guess I don't object if the possibility theoretically exists, nor do I want Cardinals conspiring to overthrow the Pope (which I guess could happen if we give cardinals a titular duke title beneath the Papacy).

But I do want the Pope to be religious.

So I think less is more in this case. Rather than developing a college of cardinals, I just want the Pope who magically appears in the role to be reasonably pious. A few conclave events might be nice but I can take them or leave them.

They'd prefer an election to a random person who seemingly exists for the sole purpose of being pope.

and in the end it means nothing as far as game mechanics are concerned.

Did you read the thread before posting your comment?

a better immersion

this isn't "Papal Election Kings 2" or "College of Cardinals 2." It's "Crusader Kings 2." The papal system need not be logical or accurate. it's abstracted in the game, because the game's major theme lies in other directions.

oh and lose the attitude.

"regards."

Incorrect. One feature proposed in the thread is supporting a specific candidate.

Uh, no. You'd have a pope who likes you more and would probably be more open to invasion and excommunication request. A friendly pope frees your court chaplain up to research culture tech and lead inquisitions.

Uh, no. You'd have a pope who likes you more and would probably be more open to invasion and excommunication request. A friendly pope frees your court chaplain up to research culture tech and lead inquisitions.

it's not that difficult getting the pope's opinion of you up.

papal elections lie outside the scope of this game, that is my argument. and why are you getting an attitude? don't like what I'm saying in a different thread? well this isn't that thread. now please be more civil. thank you.

and cardinals become popes, not priests. paradox would need to implement a cardinal system so that your faction would actually have a cardinal to support.

maybe it works and is fun in other games (MTW2), but this isn't any of those games.

I always liked the system Medieval Total War 2 had for Papal elections. I always ended up with like 75% of the college of cardinals being beholden to me lol.

and I liked it too.

but I also like CKII.

see my point

it's not that difficult getting the pope's opinion of you up.

papal elections lie outside the scope of this game, that is my argument. and why are you getting an attitude? don't like what I'm saying in a different thread? well this isn't that thread. now please be more civil. thank you.

Not entirely sure about what you're talking about attitude wise, but affecting who the pope is isn't necessarily outside of the scope of the game because possible candidates could include vassals and dynasty members.

Not entirely sure about what you're talking about attitude wise, but affecting who the pope is isn't necessarily outside of the scope of the game because possible candidates could include vassals and dynasty members.

"incorrect."

"uh, no" (you and I both know how that sounds, I don't like it when people do that in person and that was the way you intended it).

that's attitude.

and yes it IS outside the scope of this game. everything papal is ABSTRACTED because your DYNASTY is the main thing.

"incorrect."

"uh, no" (you and I both know how that sounds, I don't like it when people do that in person and that was the way you intended it).

that's attitude.

and yes it IS outside the scope of this game. everything papal is ABSTRACTED because your DYNASTY is the main thing.

Alright, I give up.

What's your point? The thread is about papal elections and various ways to do it and I brought up the way another game does it that worked well.

exactly.

MTW2, which I happen to also enjoy as you do, does do it well, and it's an aspect of that game I enjoy. But it works because it goes along with the framework of the game. I don't think the same can be said for CKII. CKII is about dynasty, dynasty, dynasty, even above territory. all things papal were made abstract becaue it's outside the scope.