• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are you referring to generic red & black flag rebels or are you referring to your dukes rebelling against you for independence?

To prevent generic rebels, try to be the same culture as your subjects, and don't pick random event options that increase revolt risk. But sometimes there's not a whole lot you can do about peasant revolts, especially in recently conquered provinces.

To prevent your counts/dukes from revolting, make sure you have positive relations with them. Hover over the relations indicator to see why they don't like you, and take appropriate steps to mitigate those factors. Give gifts, transfer vassals, don't be over your demesne limit or duchy limit.

lmao good one Wraith. ;) I myself don't understand why people play these games if they actually DON'T WANT TO DO ANYTHING. ;) Whack-a-Peasant and Whack-a-Duke is one of the fun parts of the game. ;)

Only if it makes sense. Artificial Intelligence is pretty poor, in some cases nihilistically suicidal. I had an orthodox count rebel against me with a province which was entirely pagan, sorrounded by pagans. He ended up in a pagan jail, and province in a pagan realm. If an individual is capable of such mental acts, I doubt it making him "Master of the Horse" is really going to change his dynasty's long-term prospects.

But who wants the end the fun fun games of Whack-A-Peasant?

The problem with it is, after you've mopped up their army and begin laying siege to their holds, another Duke will declare their independence, prolonging the civil war probably another four years. In that time:
  • You have to disband and re-raise your army to have the fighting power to stop them
  • Finish sieging the previous vassal's holdings and then siege the new one's
  • Hope that no foreign power sees this as their chance to press a Claim against you
  • Hope no OTHER vassal sees this as their chance to break away from you

God forbid, one of your revolting vassals has conquered a neighboring county, you have to clean that up to accelerate the war score. You could accept a White Peace, but that's hardly a viable solution, because then that vassal will just wait to regenerate his levies and then war against you again.

Playing whack a mole is a gigantic pain in the ass, and once you get into a pattern where all of your rulers for the past three generations have had to put up with this, the game has basically ended - because your state has become paralyzed by internal strife. You can't expand, you can't crusade, you can't pass new laws whilst in a perpetual state of civil war.

And just having Low Crown Authority can itself be a nightmare - I had two vassals warring with each other and I couldn't stop them because I wasn't their de Jure liege. In the Kingdom they were in, they could pull those shenanigans, but I wanted to change my Succession Laws and couldn't whilst those two were fighting. My only solution was to revoke the Duchy from one of them (ending the conflict), giving him one of my Counties to fix that penalty modifier, and then bribing the rest of my vassals to overcome the sudden -20 Tyrant penalty.

VASSALS SUCK!

There should be a point at which vassals stop rebelling. I am not sure why so many people say that they have problems with it. Think long-term. ..

Demand to foster all your vassals' heirs at your court.
Do not increase tyranny at any cost.
Wait for vassals to dishonor themselves then take their land bit by bit.
Keep Crown Authority rather low to medium.
Accept that like real kings you cannot change everything that you want about your kingdom. In fact, you have much more power than most kings ever did in this era.

There should be a point at which vassals stop rebelling. I am not sure why so many people say that they have problems with it. Think long-term. ..

Demand to foster all your vassals' heirs at your court.
Do not increase tyranny at any cost.
Wait for vassals to dishonor themselves then take their land bit by bit.
Keep Crown Authority rather low to medium.
Accept that like real kings you cannot change everything that you want about your kingdom. In fact, you have much more power than most kings ever did in this era.

This sums it up perfectly. I also try to give my vassals all of their de jure territory, since that makes them much, much happier. And if you keep the pope happy (Papal investiture and traits that increase piety) you are pretty much guaranteed to never get excommunicated.

I don't think there is an event for a vassals' revolt. It happens because they have grievances that you're not meeting.

For example, load up as King Alfonso of Leon in 1066. His sister and vassal Urraca is going to rebel within a month or two. Why? She hates his guts because (1) she is a pretender to the same title that he is--the Kingdom of Castille; and (2) she has a claim on the Kingdom of Leon. On top of that, she is ambitious. Sometimes everyone piles up on top of Alfonso when she goes to war against her little brother. The red fist of death at the top of the screen will let you know if any vassal has a good chance of going to war with you soon. Check the 'threats' tab on the intrigue screen and buy them off however you can.

Could you give an example of what's going on in your game and maybe folks here can give you some advice? More like "here's what's going on, so what do I do now?" instead of a very broad question like "how do I stop my vassals from revolting?" Good luck out there. :)

I have no problem with rebellions counts/dukes but I cannot stand peasant revolts. If you have a large realm that you didn't start with it is extremely annoying. I actually played one game as a Duke and swore fealty to the papacy so they would have to deal with peasants. Another time I started in Ireland united Ireland then swore fealty to HRE and then formed the Kingdom of Ireland. Let the HRE deal with my rebellions and peasants I must focus on ridding the world of heathens and heretics!

I don't really see the purpose of peasant revolts they don't spread, they are easy to deal with, but they require a lot of clicking to deal with it. The clicking is what annoys me the most.

I don't really see the purpose of peasant revolts they don't spread, they are easy to deal with, but they require a lot of clicking to deal with it. The clicking is what annoys me the most.

And that your Marshal can only do one thing at a time. That's pretty paralyzing, that he can't multi-task, no matter how large, rich, or high your Crown Authority.

Perhaps highly skilled marshals could suppress entire duchies? Typically if I am ridding the world of heathens through holy wars I don't even bother to create the duchies. Occasionally 1 or 2 are formed by my vassals centuries later through marriage. But that is only 1 or 2 out of 20-24 possible duchies.

However if your council members could influence entire Duchies it would absolutely give the player more incentive to create and hand out the title. In fact I would even suggest maybe any council member with skill over 15/16 should influence the entire Duchy just like your chancellor over 16 diplomacy can forge Dukedom claims.

If there was more interaction on the Duchy level I would for sure create every single one. Right now the only factor in creating one is prestige. And its not enough for me to create it. We are only talking about maybe what 10,000-20,000 points extra if you play all 400 years and create 15+ extra duchies?

In my current Naples game my realm size is bigger than HRE. But I think i only have 6-8 Dukes total. Even as the King I only hold 1 Duke title and that is the Grandmaster of the Templar's.

My typical demesne size is between 10-13 depending on ruler and that is usually just from marrying a Midas touch female. If you created and formed every single Duchy you would never be able to hold between 10-13 counties yourself. Most Duchies are 2 to 4 counties big. And if you form every single one you would never be able to hold your demesne limit in counties. You would have to double up counties with castles.

Sometimes if I have a really good midas touch ruler and a midas touch wife your demesne limit can be 14-16 easily. At that point I don't even bother trying to hold more counties. God forbid you own a county in one of your Duke's duchies that is -20/25 modifier.

Thanks for your response RedRooster81, i'm playing as the Turks, after reading the cheats, so i could get a better understanding of the game, i find that i cant just go and declare war on whom ever i wish, just have to play a different method. I get a lot of revolts, i thought there might have been an event to get all my vassals to approve my actions. Cheers

Thanks for your response RedRooster81, i'm playing as the Turks, after reading the cheats, so i could get a better understanding of the game, i find that i cant just go and declare war on whom ever i wish, just have to play a different method. I get a lot of revolts, i thought there might have been an event to get all my vassals to approve my actions. Cheers

I haven't tried the Turks. You might want to try a quieter country to learn the ropes. You have to learn how much you can push your vassals. I had a game where I formed the Kingdom of Burgundy then pressed my claim on France while the French were in a major civil war. I had to just walk away because it was just too much. I had three super-dukes and I could not stand the constant civil war, because they all had claims on what I got my hands on. That was back in patch 1.03 when things were much different.